Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TwoPair posted:

If there's one thing I know from comics canon, every time a writer says every version of someone is bad but one way no definitely I swear all but one, another good one shows up later when a writer needs them to.

That's something that's always been interesting to get through to friends that started getting into comics thanks to the MCU. Canon is extremely flexible and every hero or villain is exactly as strong/weak/smart/dumb/good/evil as the plot needs them to be.

Like the classic "Who would win in a fight? X or Y?" is answered by just "whoever the writer wants to win."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Marsupial Ape posted:

No more or less a contrivance than the introduction of the The Sentry. Have at it.

I think Blue Marvel is a better version of the same basic idea honestly. By which I mean the same basic "black character is erased due to racism" and the same basic idea as the Sentry in terms of power and history. No, there's no Void equivalent, but that's rarely utilized well from what I gather anyway.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Floppychop posted:

Like the classic "Who would win in a fight? X or Y?" is answered by just "whoever the writer wants to win."

Stan Lee literally said this in a response to a letter lol

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

God I love that movie so much.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Willam Jackson Harper WOULD make a good Reed.

Gave William Jackson Harper a bit part: -572826 points.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I really, really hope he’s Reed, which means he probably won’t be.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Disney is doing a lot of traditional casting, so I would expect that they'd favour a white actor cast for Reed.

John Krasinsky is and was the perfect fan-cast for basically the whole Fan Cast section of the movie, I mean you have Charles Xavier in his yellow chair and psychic wave lines, he's just an absolute dumb gently caress in DS2.

Still bummed we didn't get Tom Cruise as Superior Iron-Man

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Infinitum posted:

Disney is doing a lot of traditional casting, so I would expect that they'd favour a white actor cast for Reed.

John Krasinsky is and was the perfect fan-cast for basically the whole Fan Cast section of the movie, I mean you have Charles Xavier in his yellow chair and psychic wave lines, he's just an absolute dumb gently caress in DS2.

Still bummed we didn't get Tom Cruise as Superior Iron-Man

His absence is almost conspicuous, considering everyone else we did get. I saw a silly meme on Twitter that had Tom Cruise Iron Man returning from picking up shawarma for the Illuminati, only to find them all dead, and honestly, I think it may be my head canon now.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

His absence is almost conspicuous, considering everyone else we did get. I saw a silly meme on Twitter that had Tom Cruise Iron Man returning from picking up shawarma for the Illuminati, only to find them all dead, and honestly, I think it may be my head canon now.

I thought the film said Iron Man died earlier. That said, I still like your head canon better than the actual canon if that's the case.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

The_Doctor posted:

I really, really hope he’s Reed, which means he probably won’t be.

*exhales* "I guess it's clobbering time then"

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

tsob posted:

I think Blue Marvel is a better version of the same basic idea honestly. By which I mean the same basic "black character is erased due to racism" and the same basic idea as the Sentry in terms of power and history. No, there's no Void equivalent, but that's rarely utilized well from what I gather anyway.

That is a better example. Blue Marvel was introduced after I stopped keeping up with the actual comics. I got all that Sentry bullshit in my gourd, though. He was just tryin' to get high, man! Let him eat his cereal!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Marsupial Ape posted:

That is a better example. Blue Marvel was introduced after I stopped keeping up with the actual comics. I got all that Sentry bullshit in my gourd, though. He was just tryin' to get high, man! Let him eat his cereal!

I dropped out of reading comics right around the time his first issues were coming out, but I have at least the first few issues of it and I liked the general idea. I imagine it'd be easier to adapt into the MCU than the Sentry/Void stuff too, since he doesn't actually have to be a public hero as such for the gist of the idea. You could just have him be the first person the US knew to have acquired powers (outside the super soldier serum; though I wouldn't be surprised if his powers were down to a variation of that somehow too, since the MCU loves using super soldier origins), done one or two missions that helped save the world in the background, but then his costume ripped and the military realized he was Black and so he was asked to not become a public superhuman because "the world isn't ready for that yet". The idea is stronger when he is a publicly known figure, but to make that work in the MCU you'd basically need to invoke mass memory manipulation or something, since unlike the 60s of Marvel comics, there wasn't a ton of other heroes running around that he'd just be one more of and so his absence doesn't stand out as much.

It does mirror Isiah's story a good bit, especially if he's just a hero in the background doing one or two big missions to save the world in secret before he has to leave/retire as well as Carol's to some degree, but that similarity kind of helps hammer home the theme of "yeah, we were kind of poo poo back then and wouldn't accept anyone that wasn't a straight White man even when they were literally saving our lives", so I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. You could also have Blue Marvel be a public hero by making him a variant who settles into our world after his is destroyed by the TVA or by dimensional crashes like in Multiverse of Madness or something too, I guess. It's somewhat weaker, since it's not "our" timeline, but it does still allow him to be a publicly beloved hero who had to step away just because he was Black.

That does remind me though; were the rumors that Blue Marvel was going to be part of The Marvels just rumors? Or is he actually slated to appear in the film? I don't see anything about him on the Wikipedia page for the film, so I presume it was just a rumor?

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 15, 2023

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

That does remind me though; were the rumors that Blue Marvel was going to be part of The Marvels just rumors? Or is he actually slated to appear in the film? I don't see anything about him on the Wikipedia page for the film, so I presume it was just a rumor?

I dropped out of most comic considerably before that, so this thread is the first I've ever heard of the Blue Marvel.

Which to answer your question from my POV means that nope, I've heard nothing about him appearing in The Marvels. Honestly, I would bet hard against it. At the very most you might get some after-credits teaser thing with him like they did with Blade in The Eternals or Clea (I think that's who that was) in DS2. It'd be cool if I was wrong, though.

Hell, if Carl Lumbly wasn't already 71, I'd say they should just hit Isaiah Bradley with a "radiation accident" during the next Captain America film and let him become the Blue Marvel.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Oh, god, it's going to be Danny Glover in a muscle suit, isn't it? (that would be rad if done right)

edit: drunk and high

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 15, 2023

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Marsupial Ape posted:

Oh, god, it's going to be Donald/Danny Glover in a muscle suit, isn't it? (that would be rad if done right)

I'd be okay with that weird "came from another dimension" idea if it some how gave us Michael B Jordan as the Blue Marvel.

Or really anything that gives us more Michael B. Jordan in the MCU.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Everyone posted:

I'd be okay with that weird "came from another dimension" idea if it some how gave us Michael B Jordan as the Blue Marvel.

I hosed up and meant Danny Glover. I should have gone with my gut and said Denzel Washington. Always go with Denzel.

edit: still drunk and high, Denzel Washington should have gotten to play Batman in his prime. Denzel would would have made a terrific Bruce Wayne. This is the world that racism has stolen from us.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 15, 2023

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Marsupial Ape posted:

I hosed up and meant Danny Glover. I should have gone with my gut and said Denzel Washington. Always go with Denzel.

edit: still drunk and high, Denzel Washington should have gotten to play Batman in his prime. Denzel would would have made a terrific Bruce Wayne. This is the world that racism has stolen from us.

Maybe not too late for John David Washington? With Idris Elba as Really Bad-rear end Alfred.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Everyone posted:

Maybe not too late for John David Washington? With Idris Elba as Really Bad-rear end Alfred.

Elba Alfred is pretty good.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I've heard Marc Bernardin espouse before that he thinks Batman is one of the few superheroes that shouldn't be a Black man at some point in mainline stuff for the simple reason that the kind of generational wealth that gives you a Bruce Wayne is just not really something open to Black people at the moment in the US. Which seems like a pretty valid view on the subject.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

I've heard Marc Bernardin espouse before that he thinks Batman is one of the few superheroes that shouldn't be a Black man at some point in mainline stuff for the simple reason that the kind of generational wealth that gives you a Bruce Wayne is just not really something open to Black people at the moment in the US. Which seems like a pretty valid view on the subject.

Comedy option, Diff'rent Strokes. Arnold grows up to be Batman. "Whachu talkin' 'bout, Joker?"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Batman films are nervous about doing a Robin, so just have an older Batman a la the Snyder Batfleck with a Nightwing figure coming into the plot to help him instead and make that Dick Grayson a Black man. The only thing you'd need beyond that in casting is to make sure the guy has a great rear end, since that's apparently a major aspect of the character?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

Batman films are nervous about doing a Robin, so just have an older Batman a la the Snyder Batfleck with a Nightwing figure coming into the plot to help him instead and make that Dick Grayson a Black man. The only thing you'd need beyond that in casting is to make sure the guy has a great rear end, since that's apparently a major aspect of the character?

Given the tiny short-shorts of classic Robin, it pretty much has to be.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Dick Grayson is Romani, I doubt they’d remove representation from an already under-served minority.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Do you doubt that, really? Because that's what they do all the time. :sweatdrop:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

DOOM is also Romani, but there's just no way a stream-lined product like the MCU could portray that sympathetically while maintaining Victor's general... Victorness.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I’m still worried that nobody will ever get the character right on screen. A real Doom doomer, if you will.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I don't even know what I, as a DOOM fan, would want out of his portrayal on the screen. He is, sorry Victor!, a parody of himself and he's been written that way, earnestly and sometimes deliberately, for decades. A Colbert report style character who is winking at you that he's not Really This Stupid? Eh. And Victor exists as a foil to Reed, who by himself is also a caricature already! They explicitly made fun of Reed's idiosyncrasies several times in the comics, and half of Ben's lines are cracking a joke at Stretchy being ridiculous.

Kang the Conqueror is a ridiculous and silly super-villain, but Jonathan Majors is a great actor and I believe he can pull off the serious face they are putting on that. But can you deconstruct DOOM, or Reed, like that? And still remain true to whatever goobers like me think is the DOOM-ness in Victor?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
DOOM needs to be 100% serious DOOM, screaming RICHARDS and tooting whatever horn he wishes. There is zero need to make him sympathic or complex, he is a super genius wizard who controls a country full of people who are always chasing Frankenstien's Monster with torches.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Doom needs to be a loving maniac in a castle with a mummy complex, this isn't hard

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If they make him sympathetic or a revolutionary who needs to be told to engage in respectability politics, I loving quit.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rarity posted:

Doom needs to be a loving maniac in a castle with a mummy complex, this isn't hard

Victor isn't a maniac! Well okay, he kind of is, that's what got his face ruined and all, but

Look, DOOM is a fellow you can root for, if only for sticking it to Reed's stupid bullshit

Reed is the real bad guy, is what I am saying

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Everyone posted:

I thought the film said Iron Man died earlier.

It did. In fact, wasn't it Tony's death that convinced the Illuminati that Strange was too dangerous to leave alive?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jedit posted:

It did. In fact, wasn't it Tony's death that convinced the Illuminati that Strange was too dangerous to leave alive?

I don’t think so? Strange revealing that he read the scary book in order to kill Thanos, was too dangerous, and had to be killed is why they killed him. I don’t remember Iron Man even being mentioned.

It was after they killed Thanos, and you could see Thanos’ dead body, but when did they mention Stark? Again, I really don’t remember that at all.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 15, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think they might mention that Thanos kills Stark, meaning they don't have that "1 way" to win> And that's what leads Strange to turn to the book?

Although it might have been vague. Like "our greatest hero fell" or something.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

STAC Goat posted:

I think they might mention that Thanos kills Stark, meaning they don't have that "1 way" to win> And that's what leads Strange to turn to the book?

Although it might have been vague. Like "our greatest hero fell" or something.

I just googled it, and Google agrees that he’s not mentioned. I’m pretty sure the “greatest hero” reference was about Strange, after defeating Thanos.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I just rewatched it and its just Strange going to the Darkhold all on his own. I guess I Streisand Effected/Kazamed.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

MOM is after Loki. There could be more ways to win after that,

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I bet that most of those alternate futures Strange saw were non viable because in the One True Continuity, deviation from the Sacred Timeline results in a reset by the TVA.

Things can and have developed any number of ways since the TVA messed up their one job.

It would be cool if one of the more metaphysical shows/movies addressed this down the line. There are now variant universes where they all talked it out, for instance.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

LividLiquid posted:

If they make him sympathetic or a revolutionary who needs to be told to engage in respectability politics, I loving quit.

Doom’s scariest tag line has only been: “Only Doom shall rule!” and if done right, by the end of the movie the audience should be saying to themselves “that’s not a terrible idea”. Really sell the idea that Doom believes the strong have a duty to protect the weak…and since Doom is the strongest it’s just most efficient if he micro-manages the world.

gently caress, Doom is just Tony Stark, except he didn’t have Happy to hand him things from strangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sentinel Red posted:

Dick Grayson is Romani, I doubt they’d remove representation from an already under-served minority.

Is that a recent recontextualising of his circus background?