Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I successfully finished a three houses run. .. can't believe you're intended to play through the game multiple times, I took what turned out to be the shortest route and it was still like 60 hours.

Iirc this literally wasn’t the intent, the devs just expected people to do one route and talk to people who did the others instead of playing it themselves. Still kinda silly that they’d make a story where only some stuff gets context depending on the route but it was made with a lot of Dynasty/[insert franchise here] Warriors people so I guess they set their expectations low for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It's pretty wild just how much is left out of Beagles route, I keep learning new story beats and such from hearing about other routes that I may or may not play one day. Haven't gone back and done the DLC yet which I will at least one day.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1614290125680410628?s=20

Remario

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I wasnt planning on doing a lot of sidequests in Nier but if there's stuff like Romeos and Juliets hidden behind them I'm going to have to do a lot of them

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The side quests are where all the good character moments are. Play them all unless it’s really annoying like that parade one

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

That's it thanks :tipshat:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

hatty posted:

The side quests are where all the good character moments are. Play them all unless it’s really annoying like that parade one

Yeah, the sidequests are basically where all the good dialogue is and most feel relevant in the sense that you learn more about the world in some way.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I wasnt planning on doing a lot of sidequests in Nier but if there's stuff like Romeos and Juliets hidden behind them I'm going to have to do a lot of them

The only sidequest that I 100% wouldn't recommend outside of completionism is the flower growing one. Just takes forever even if you know what to do and doesn't really have many character moments. The remake adds another sidequest that locks after you (not really a spoiler but spoiling if you don't wanna know) enter the ship in the ocean town that I think is pretty good too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

*Bleagles

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just finished Valkyrie Profile. What an absolutely incredible game

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I have a million games to finish from the last couple years but here's what I'm interested in from 2023

demonschool
persona 3/4 on switch
silksong probably
like a dragon ishin
like a dragon gaiden the man who erased his name
street fighter 6
armored core (so they say)
mega man battle network collection
forza motorsport
spiders-men
sea of stars
pikmin 4 if it makes it
hogwarts legahahahah just kidding

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
oh yeah i'll probably buy armoured core too, I've alway been kinda interested in the series but never at a time when a new game was on the horizon, i did play the second game on ps2 fairly recently and it was quirky and cool but the controls took a heck of a lot of getting used too

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Armoured bore

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lots of stuff i'm looking forward to in 2023

- Armored Core VI
- TLOU Factions II
- Forspoken
- Wanted: Dead
- Atomic Heart
- Amnesia: The Bunker
- Suikoden I & II
- Resident Evil 4 - Remake
- Horizon - Forbidden West: Burning Shores
- Final Fantasy XVI
- Little Devil Inside
- Pacific Drive
- Stellar Blade
- Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
- Exoprimal (lol)
- Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth
- Skate Story
- The Plucky Squire
- Stalker 2: Heart of Chernobyl

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Armored Core 2 has finally clicked for me and it's one of the best feeling mech games I've ever played

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBPHnZCY9bU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Mechs are cool

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ornstein and Patches are in Armored Core For Answer

Sakurazuka posted:

In the zone (not Stalker)

Cheeki breeki

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also if you use the Standard-B controls for For Answer, it plays like a real video game!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

fridge corn posted:

Just finished Valkyrie Profile. What an absolutely incredible game

highly recommend Valkyrie Profile 2: SIlmeria

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

is it playable now

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

is it playable now

what

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

it’s notoriously one of the hardest games to emulate, I last tried it a few years back and there was still serious graphics corruption everywhere

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

cheetah7071 posted:

Can I play it on my Sony PlayStation 5 digital entertainment system?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

it’s notoriously one of the hardest games to emulate, I last tried it a few years back and there was still serious graphics corruption everywhere

Oh that's what you meant

No idea

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Can I play it on my Sony PlayStation 5 digital entertainment system?

no, hence my previous question. it never got a re-release and the discs are very rare

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
You can bone almost anyone you meet in Disciples Liberation (King’s Bounty/HoMM type game, though it’s a different take on the formula).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

hatty posted:

Mechs are cool

Very surprised at lack of mech films in general, cause mechs are cool.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the second a mech is on screen in a movie immediately stop caring about the people and only care about the mech

the second a mech is gone from the screen all i think of is "where mech"

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

That picture of Remario would be a great avatar.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

verbal enema posted:

the second a mech is on screen in a movie immediately stop caring about the people and only care about the mech

the second a mech is gone from the screen all i think of is "where mech"

This is why Gundam, which has people's faces cut in on screens over the mech action, is the perfect artform

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8PuKqUNTd0

Zakus ft mothereffin w

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Also if you use the Standard-B controls for For Answer, it plays like a real video game!

I thought this was the last thing armoured core fans wanted

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve never been a mech guy, as a minimalist at heart I find mech media self-defeating. By taking a normal action scene and scaling everything up 10x, the impact is reduced 10x. “Man supplexes man” is more thrilling (to me) than “big mechman omegasupplexes big mechman”

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
thats why they have rocket punches and beam swords instead of suplexing

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What about man vs mech

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VP Silmeria is gorgeous for a PS2 game, absolutely stunning, and getting hands on a copy doesn't cost that much. The gameplay itself is such a mixed bag. I love that they kept the towns/dungeons on a 2D plane which makes it feel very unique, but the 3D plane for the battle system takes what was once very strategic and fun in VP1 and makes it painfully tedious. VP2's characters are also written in an extremely uninteresting way and there are far too few of them. An interesting sequel that kind of loses the plot.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve never been a mech guy, as a minimalist at heart I find mech media self-defeating. By taking a normal action scene and scaling everything up 10x, the impact is reduced 10x. “Man supplexes man” is more thrilling (to me) than “big mechman omegasupplexes big mechman”

Yes, but have you considered Boot Up Sequences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiNVjkJDsqI

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If your mecha is just Human but bigger then the creators have totally failed creatively. Mecha offers all the freedom in the world to create and design unique and interesting encounters and battles. Combiners, transformers, coopiloted units, stealth units, BioMechanical, Magical, Remote Weaponry, Drones, Putting your robot inside a giant wheel to revive the ancient tradition of driving.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

VP Silmeria is gorgeous for a PS2 game, absolutely stunning, and getting hands on a copy doesn't cost that much. The gameplay itself is such a mixed bag. I love that they kept the towns/dungeons on a 2D plane which makes it feel very unique, but the 3D plane for the battle system takes what was once very strategic and fun in VP1 and makes it painfully tedious. VP2's characters are also written in an extremely uninteresting way and there are far too few of them. An interesting sequel that kind of loses the plot.

the battle system owns and the characters are good

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I mean you could just watch Gunhed if you want some 80s mecha, which is also basically Armored Core The Movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6k6o766QA0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOMqItB4Jk0

Also everyone should watch Patlabor, the best mecha series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
honestly kind of baffled at the specific claim that VP2's combat is less strategic tha VP1

like liking it less, sure, that's just taste, but it's inarguably more strategic