Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

I have PTSD from that time I had to refactor some stuff in a customized Rhino environment.

Which is a Javascript engine built in Java and (the heavily customized version I dealt with) didn't stick to conventions from either Java or Javascript, basically combining the worst of both worlds. It was a module used in the backend of a monolith Java application. I still don't know why they didn't just built it in Java like the rest of the entire application.

Because, most likely what the developers were tasked to do is build a way for "non-programmers" to modify application logic, business rules, or whatever. Even though, Javascript still requires "some" programming skills, yet ... here we are. "Oh look, you can build addons for WoW in Lua, surely we can add something similar to our app" said some middle manager somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ziasquinn posted:

also who loves javascript anyway

no one. if you say you do, you're wrong and an idiot.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I'm gay for JavaScript, Python, and C

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

one of these things is not like the other

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Fool posted:

one of these things is not like the other

yea we know Javascript is controversial but it’s everywhere and always will be, so we just need to accept the JavaScript people for who they are and let them develop an ecosystem on their own

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

:hmmyes:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

We peaked at VIC-20 basic anyway (not biased)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

yea we know Javascript is controversial but it’s everywhere and always will be, so we just need to accept the JavaScript people for who they are and let them develop an ecosystem on their own

yup, I still hate it! and god forbid you look at the sheer quantity of npm package vulnerabilities :whitewater:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I somehow bagged employee of the year (no it doesn't come with a pay raise) and I'm more convinced than ever this is simply because I started working one-on-one with the CEO in the last quarter of the year and my visibility shot through the roof. Everything is a popularity contest.

I'm still going to bill them for every red cent of overtime I pull. gently caress you pay me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm being asked to fly down to Alabama in another month. This is the worst job ever now.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

How long is a reasonable time to figure out what rights your service desk should have in Azure/M365? A year? Because we're at least a year into our baby steps move to the cloud and my team still can't even add a person to an AAD group because who fuckin' knows why. :sigh: Maybe 2023 will be the year that I finally lose my mind and find a new job.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GreenNight posted:

I'm being asked to fly down to Alabama in another month. This is the worst job ever now.

Mobile isn't terrible... but yeah, there's about 47 other states I rather visit before Alabama

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

you ate my cat posted:

How long is a reasonable time to figure out what rights your service desk should have in Azure/M365? A year? Because we're at least a year into our baby steps move to the cloud and my team still can't even add a person to an AAD group because who fuckin' knows why. :sigh: Maybe 2023 will be the year that I finally lose my mind and find a new job.

Two months, maybe four.. tops, should be more than enough for your cloud team to get things sorted out with regards to permissions for everyone else. Especially if the service desk absolutely needs those permissions to get things done. Of course, if they're just punching time for paychecks, it won't happen until their manager(s) make them.

Granted, my first service desk experience was that I didn't even have permissions to do anything but read AD for a full year. I had to file a ticket on top of my ticket and escalate to the sysadmin if anything needed editing or moving.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Warmachine posted:

I somehow bagged employee of the year (no it doesn't come with a pay raise) and I'm more convinced than ever this is simply because I started working one-on-one with the CEO in the last quarter of the year and my visibility shot through the roof. Everything is a popularity contest.

I'm still going to bill them for every red cent of overtime I pull. gently caress you pay me.

Always Be sCammin'

Scammin' is of course the mindset of doing the bare minimum and getting ahead. You're not actually scamming anyone, just playing the game.

Other instances of the scammin' mindset

Long shits at the office
"Quiet quitting" but still getting promoted
"Working" but actually you're just playing WoW or on a road trip.
Multiple jobs

Congrats! You're scammin'

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

George H.W. oval office posted:

Always Be sCammin'

Scammin' is of course the mindset of doing the bare minimum and getting ahead. You're not actually scamming anyone, just playing the game.

Long shits at the office
Multiple jobs

We're scammin'
(See)
I wanna scam it wid you
We're scammin', scammin',
And I hope you like scammin', too
We're scammin'
To think that scammin' was a thing of the past
We're scammin',
And I hope this scam is gonna last
We're scammin'
scammin'
scammin'
scammin'
scammin'
'Now we're scammin' is the name of my boat
We're scammin',
scammin'
scammin'
scammin'
Now we're scammin' while we're afloat
Ooh, yeah!
We're scammin'
I wanna scam it wid you
Scam's about my pay and jobs I want to hide
To keep me satisfied
Cash that now exist, two jobs I can't resist,
Scam by my side. Oh, yea-ea-yeah!
We're scammin'
(See)
I wanna scam it wid you

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

skipdogg posted:

Mobile isn't terrible... but yeah, there's about 47 other states I rather visit before Alabama

Birmingham.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Internet Explorer posted:

[Edit: it's early and I was being short. I should say, IMO as a white cis dude:]

This is like going around saying you don't see skin color. You've got the right spirit, but you're wrong.

Yeah, maybe. I definitely put it poorly in shitpost format, I see gender (and color and recognize the easy button life has handed me as a cishet white dude). I’m saying that I try to refer to everyone as their when I don’t know them, not worth potentially making someone feel like poo poo imo.

That kinda bleeds over into my inherent dislike of separation of genders whether sports or bathrooms or whatever. Funny enough, what made me think that the distinction was pointless was having a workplace (my first IT job actually) with a unisex multi-stall bathroom. All the scare mongering against trans people and it’s like… everybody poops and nobody gives a poo poo.

So yeah, didn’t mean to shitpost in a “I don’t see color” way, I can see how it came off that way, my b

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

you ate my cat posted:

jfc, it’s not hard once you understand the structure and how groups work. They’re in the wrong line of work OR getting ground into dust by poo poo management and they don’t give a gently caress.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

GreenNight posted:

Birmingham.

Red Mountain Park is a nice place for a hike, at least.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sepist posted:

This thread recommending a vertical mouse was such a great call. My hand has been fantastic for 2 weeks now.

Holy poo poo!

This post introduced me to the very concept of a vertical mouse. Of course my wife and kid both said, “Yeah we know of those.” :argh:

Vertical mouse ordered. Thanks thread!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i'm ambivalent about javascript, but its objection notation is way better than yaml

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

Always Be sCammin'

Long shits at the office
Multiple jobs

I spend about half my day playing video games. I need to work on some automation stuff so I can spend all of my day playing video games.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Agrikk posted:

Holy poo poo!

This post introduced me to the very concept of a vertical mouse. Of course my wife and kid both said, “Yeah we know of those.” :argh:

Vertical mouse ordered. Thanks thread!

I own a vertical mouse, but because you have to oppose the force of your index finger clicking the mouse buttons, you have to push back against it with your thumb too, which seems to create other problems for me, like causing my thumb to shake. (I've seen a neurologist already, I do have carpal tunnel but not the big scaries like Parkinson's.) I have a follow-up appointment with an orthopedist scheduled already, and I will ask them about it, but am I doing something wrong when I use mine? I've gone back to a "standard" mouse for now because the vertical mouse is causing other problems.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
What mouse did y'all end up buying The Logi one looks like nice I balk at dropping $100 for a mouse.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/rcna65562

"We have a 30 year old system but its the consultants fault for editing a file that we asked them to." I think I might change careers if something I did promted the President of the US to open a federal investigation.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 14, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This is the one I normally recommend to people.

Anker 2.4G Wireless Vertical Ergonomic Optical Mouse, 800 / 1200 /1600 DPI, 5 Buttons for Laptop, Desktop, PC, Macbook - Black https://a.co/d/7DECULH

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You should be making your employer pay for a $100 mouse anyways.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Logitech G502 or Logitech MX Master if you like chonker mice or have large flesh mitts.

I’m not saying to spend money for no reason, but don’t cheap out on human interface devices — the cost down for ergonomic issues the line is way more than the $50 you saved. That goes for office chairs too, not to hop back on that derail.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

xzzy posted:

You should be making your employer pay for a $100 mouse anyways.

Oh they do. I have a yearly budget but I'm trying to save some of that for a big rear end monitor.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I tried the anker but presumably the receiver was interfering with my Logitech receiver. I had sever mouse delay.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

Google Meet is complete balls, honestly amazed every time I get invited to something hosted in there how little it's developed since launch

I read this as “Google Meat is complete balls” and I got confused.

Gonna go get my morning cup of tea, now.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ECMAScript is fine for its purpose, which is adding interactivity to a website's frontend. It's even fine when you abuse it a bit, and start loading the pages down with it to make them fancy or meet marketing goals. However, building actual applications with it (gently caress you, Node and React Native) is for reprobates and villains.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 14, 2023

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Prohack. Use different nicknames for different companies so you don’t get confused which company is asking you for something.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Bonzo posted:

What mouse did y'all end up buying The Logi one looks like nice I balk at dropping $100 for a mouse.

Change your mindset. This is one of the primary methods for physical interaction with your computer, and barring unfortunate beverage incidents will usually last for many years. A good mouse (and a good keyboard) is one of the best investments you can make in your computing time.

Doubly so if you have special requirements due to physical challenges.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

by using a computer since i was 3 i'm pretty sure my bones and tendons developed to use a mouse better than most other daily activities

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You should be willing to spend as much on a mouse as you would on a power tool.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I use touch pads

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Change your mindset. This is one of the primary methods for physical interaction with your computer, and barring unfortunate beverage incidents will usually last for many years. A good mouse (and a good keyboard) is one of the best investments you can make in your computing time.

Doubly so if you have special requirements due to physical challenges.

Especially when you think about how much you use these things. I easily spend 2000 hours a year at my desk. Spending money on a good chair, good monitors, or a good mouse is totally worth it.

I got an MX Master 3 to replace the MX Revolution I had that died and I’d buy another one tomorrow if it broke.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Main problem with a Logitech mouse is the ghub updates. Don't pop up that crap on my screen telling me what's new, do the install and piss off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My new job has vertical mice freely available for use. I’ve been using the Logi and it is an A+ good mouse. Even without a vertical mouse, I’m so glad I left my previous dead end job with the micromanager. I haven’t carried a pager in weeks :toot:

Also I have curly hair and it looks extremely weird if I blur my background or use a background image. Very unfair, because I have very limited spots where I can fit a desk at home, all with mediocre camera views.