Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hwurmp posted:

Like a Dragon is the first Yakuza with turn-based combat. The mechanics might be a little basic compared to P5R but Yakuza owns :thatsrad:

Yeah I know it's typically a brawler, my friend was telling me to play Kiwami first but I'm looking to play another turn based thing I think. I just wasn't sure how lost I'd be story-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LaD focuses on new characters so it's a fine starting point.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

explosivo posted:

Steam thread, I finished P5R and was thinking about keeping this train rolling and checking out Yakuza Like a Dragon but I've never played a Yakuza game before. I really liked the social stuff and numbers-going-up aspect of P5R but also was surprised with how much I loved the turn based combat. Is Like a Dragon going to scratch a similar itch and also is it going to be okay jumping into this series at Yakuza 7?

Yakuza 7 is great, but it's definitely designed more as "a Yakuza game with turn-based combat" than "a JRPG with a Yakuza theme", if that makes any sense. The combat is closer to Dragon Quest, so it's not as complex as P5.

It works fine as an entry point for the series though, has a new protagonist and everything. There are references to old games, but it's nothing critical.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

explosivo posted:

Yeah I know it's typically a brawler, my friend was telling me to play Kiwami first but I'm looking to play another turn based thing I think. I just wasn't sure how lost I'd be story-wise.

I started 7 earlier this month. Its basically a new story with new characters. Ive played 0 through 3 and don't see anyone that I recognize. Maybe theres some people in it from the later games, but it doesn't matter. Also I'm running around town giving tissues to people in bathrooms and feeding other people some really spicy kim chi

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

When it comes to Nioh, game 1 seems to have good reviews around the 70% mark, while Nioh 2 lands around 85%+. Nioh 1 goes for deep discounts during sales. With all that in mind, if I am interested in trying these games out, should I start with 1, or just jump to the better received 2 right away?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Go straight to 2. nioh 2 is a strange thing where it’s the exact same game as 1 and simultaneously also better in every way. Also, all of nioh’s content is in nioh 2 except for the levels and some of the bosses.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

KazigluBey posted:

When it comes to Nioh, game 1 seems to have good reviews around the 70% mark, while Nioh 2 lands around 85%+. Nioh 1 goes for deep discounts during sales. With all that in mind, if I am interested in trying these games out, should I start with 1, or just jump to the better received 2 right away?

I think it's better to at least try 1 first. The sequel is better in every way, which makes it really hard to go back to the first after you play it. Also the sequel kind of assumes you know the basic mechanics and starts layering on more immediately, so it could be overwhelming.

But, Nioh 2 is way better, and the plot actually starts before the first game chronologically, so it's perfectly fine to start there.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the input on LAD, sounds like I shouldn't expect combat anywhere near Persona which I'm fine with. It's gamepass so if I am not digging it then meh. I went into P5R saying the same thing though very much not expecting to finish it so who knows!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

Nioh 2 is better in every way but also has like twice the amount of gameplay mechanics.

Just start with Nioh 2. You don't need to figure out all the mechanics at once and also who gives a poo poo about the story. It's not even the same protagonist.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I play soulslikes quite a bit and I found all the mechanics Nioh 2 throws at you right away pretty overwhelming and dropped it fast. No idea if I would’ve had a better time of it if I’d started with 1, haven’t tried that one yet.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

KazigluBey posted:

If money's no obstacle then Nioh 2 is the better game, but if you're interested in them and budget-oriented and Nioh 1's like 75% off while Nioh 2 is not then I'd just pick up the first game in the meantime, it's still good videogaming (with a weak opening level).

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

chglcu posted:

I play soulslikes quite a bit and I found all the mechanics Nioh 2 throws at you right away pretty overwhelming and dropped it fast. No idea if I would’ve had a better time of it if I’d started with 1, haven’t tried that one yet.

I've beaten all the soulsborne stuff and Nioh 1 was too much and I bounced off it pretty hard

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Souls games are actually very approachable by design, hence their widespread mainstream popularity. Nioh 1 and 2 are rather more technical and a lot more fiddly for somewhat less benefit to the player, but instead scratch an action-diablo itch.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

as i've often stated here, i loved the "mechanics" of nioh 1, i just loathed the loot vomit aspect, which may or may not count as a "mechanic"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

as i've often stated here, i loved the "mechanics" of nioh 1, i just loathed the loot vomit aspect, which may or may not count as a "mechanic"

Killed the whole game for me, just couldn't stand how the gear was done in that game

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I helped two friends get into Nioh 2 after playing it for some time myself. They were too impatient to ever continue playing any Soulslike before but getting them over the initial hump was enough to spark their interest.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

release date updates: Dread Templar 1.0 releases on the 26th, Backwirefall releases on the 30th, and Rhythm Sprout launches on February 1st.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's worth repeating how good nioh 2 is as a multiplayer game. it's much easier and much more chill in multiplayer and you can play almost the entire thing start to finish that way. only a couple very brief story bits and optional 1v1 duel/dojo missions have to be done singleplayer. I played nioh 1 solo and bounced off of it, then played nioh 2 multiplayer and thought it was one of the best action games I've played.

Plus if you really get into it there's a massive amount of content to chew through since the complete edition on steam has all the DLCs, which not only add a bunch of missions but amount to 5 playthroughs/difficulties/NG+ cycles total. we did 3 NG+ cycles of it because each cycle changes the game in meaningful ways and still didn't even see the Underworld, some kind of insane endgame place with 100+ mini levels that only appears after the fourth cycle.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Begemot posted:

Yakuza 7 is great, but it's definitely designed more as "a Yakuza game with turn-based combat" than "a JRPG with a Yakuza theme", if that makes any sense. The combat is closer to Dragon Quest, so it's not as complex as P5.

It works fine as an entry point for the series though, has a new protagonist and everything. There are references to old games, but it's nothing critical.

The one thing I see people get tripped up on is job changing. It's very similar to Dragon Quest VII where only a few things cross over between jobs (stat boosts and a couple attacks per job) so it might not be immediately obvious why you would want to ever switch characters out of their base jobs. You can get away with doing pretty much whatever for the first 75 percent of the game but later on you'll definitely want some of the advanced abilities (and especially elemental attacks) from various jobs on your party members. You can level up jobs quicker later on so don't worry about it too much, just something to keep in mind.

Re: One Piece, I love OP but I kind of hate the post-timeskip character designs. Usopp and Nami got it the worst but I don't feel like any of them are really an upgrade, and they always look really weird to me in 3D.

:sigh: these characters used to be so cute!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nioh's Double Flux is one of the most satisfying to do mechanics. It's up there with Metal Gear Rising parries.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

nioh 2 has more in common with character action games than souls game by the time you start doing NG++ to be honest

it rules

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Any particularly strong opinions on Vigil: The Longest Night?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I liked it a lot when I played it back in 2020, and it's gotten quite a few updates since then. Plays very similarly to Salt & Sanctuary or Ender Lillies with some interesting ideas on the whole Soulstroidvania formula. Killer soundtrack. Don't try to make any sense of the story though -- the script is basically 100% machine-translated and you'll absolutely need a guide to get the "best" ending on the first playthrough, if that kind of thing really bothers you. Has some very soulslike obtuse quests and areas that can be easy to miss.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone have opinions on the Sororitas DLC for Warhammer Inquisitor?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone have opinions on the Sororitas DLC for Warhammer Inquisitor?

I got it and it didn't really shake up the game enough to keep me interested. I didn't play with the magical girl tranformation mechanic much at all though so maybe it's more fun that way.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Any particularly strong opinions on Vigil: The Longest Night?

it's not the best. It has a very large world and not enough interesting content to fill it with, so a lot of your time spent clearing through massive areas is just finding dead end after dead end with shinies that turn out to be "3 throwing knives" or similar, even up through the last area of the game. Exploration + world design is usually what you want to be the main engaging part of a metroidvania and it fell very flat in vigil.

The other thing that usually makes metroidvanias worth playing is their presentation/vibes. Vigil has very good 2D art but chose to make the player character a 3D model and I thought this clashed horribly with the rest of the graphics. Artistically I was not a fan of a lot of the gory monster designs and environments which felt kind of edgy. The story/lore/english localization was incomprehensible.

Balance was a mess. Early in the game I did an unintuitive quest that gave me a spell that completely trivialized almost everything for the remaining 80% of the game. This combined with the big world + sparse meaningful loot meant there wasn't much to exploration that could feel rewarding because I could already erase almost everything I encountered in seconds with this one spell. There have been a few substantial updates since I played it which might have improved some of these things, but I can't comment on that.

If you haven't played Ender Lilies yet then definitely play that instead, it's a fantastic game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Diephoon posted:

I got it and it didn't really shake up the game enough to keep me interested. I didn't play with the magical girl tranformation mechanic much at all though so maybe it's more fun that way.

Alright, sounds like I should wait for a 50% deal if nothing else.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Alright, thanks for the Nioh feedback. I'll try to get 1 on a deep discount sale but move onto 2 if 1 starts dragging or not clicking. The info regarding how 2 is great for multiplayer is very interesting as well, will see if someone I know is up for it. Cheers!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

explosivo posted:

Not lost at all.

All of the characters are new and also homeless idiots who get into stupid adventures. The protagonist constantly states he's on a Dragon Quest-esque adventure and everyone else goes "....ok"

You can also become a multimillionaire CEO by telling shareholders to both shut the gently caress up and occasionally apologizing to them. There's a mario Kart minigame as well.

The only part that sucks is Mahjongg, but you can cheese it if you want by getting a Mahjongg app and playing it on the highest difficulty possible. Then, when you enter a game, enter the LAD computer's turns in as your turns and do what the EXTREME difficultly does on yours in LAD.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

chglcu posted:

Yeah just don’t play Nioh 2. Nioh 2 has a lot of complexity but wasn’t rewarding for that complexity

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

exquisite tea posted:

Don't try to make any sense of the story though -- the script is basically 100% machine-translated

Was tentatively interested until this.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Roadwarden is very good, y'all. Largely text based game with significant time management elements about being a Fantasy Highway Patrolperson, reestablishing contact with and between a bunch of dinky-rear end villages in a province that was abandoned when the imperial core experienced an invasion and/or minor apocalypse several decades ago.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I know there is a thread for it, but is there an easy one click way to play a modernized Morrowind? I kind of want to play it, but I don't really feel like dealing with piles of mods and load orders and all that crap at the moment.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Roadwarden is very good, y'all. Largely text based game with significant time management elements about being a Fantasy Highway Patrolperson, reestablishing contact with and between a bunch of dinky-rear end villages in a province that was abandoned when the imperial core experienced an invasion and/or minor apocalypse several decades ago.

Road warden is really good. I'm trying to work up for a second run but I kinda did really well my first victory

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The real reason to skip straight to nioh 2 is that it has scampuss.

https://i.imgur.com/lYQtLYW.mp4

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jarvisi posted:

Road warden is really good. I'm trying to work up for a second run but I kinda did really well my first victory

I've got a Plan for my second run. It involves a mage start and White Marshes. Please do not spoil anything about any possible routes there.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

The Nioh games are much more Ninja Gaiden than any other souls game. Honestly I find it hard to get into much else in the genre since playing them because they're all so much slower/more stiff in comparison

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I've got a Plan for my second run. It involves a mage start and White Marshes. Please do not spoil anything about any possible routes there.

Mage was kinda disappointing for me. You just kinda get minor bonuses in very specific situations. Though the healing was nice.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Trick Question posted:

The Nioh games are much more Ninja Gaiden than any other souls game. Honestly I find it hard to get into much else in the genre since playing them because they're all so much slower/more stiff in comparison

Yeah, the combat is so good, it kind of ruined Elden Ring for me. Also between the soul cores in 2 and all the special martial attacks stuff you can unlock, it feels more like you can fight bosses on an even level. Like you can also call upon bullshit attacks that give you super armor at a moment's notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
e: wrong thread