Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will the light-heavyweight title somehow stay vacant again?
This poll is closed.
Another split draw 6 17.65%
Glover Teixeira pulls out citing old man hips 9 26.47%
Jamahal Hill gets TKOed during his weight cut by way of Bathtub 9 26.47%
Fight cancelled when Jiří Procházka throws a dolly at the fighter bus 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1614369557669347332

Very cool if true. Gane better learn how to defend a takedown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/mmafightingsm/status/1614379795995045893

that was fast

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Would be very cool if Jones or Ngannou or Stipe actually fight again.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

They have like 2 fights between the 3 of them in 2 years. Hopefully we see at least 2 of the 3 this year.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

edit: wrong thread

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I wonder how far along it needs to be for them to have the graphics package handed over to the stadium. Is it sane ownership?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
https://twitter.com/marcraimondi/status/1614457457497243650

jesus dana white loving sucks

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big news night

https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/1614460533742125058?s=46&t=bvfwPYqBROSMumptaP0w-Q

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Does Vegas give better odds for arrested, popped for steroids, or the fight actually happening.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

imagine, for a moment, that you had a terrifying yet eminently likable 6'4" heavyweight kickboxer with appeal in multiple international markets and a virtual guarantee of producing at least one mainstream-adored highlight-reel knockout per year, and all you had to do was pay him not like a schmuck, and you decided that actually, instead, the promotionally responsible choice is to bet on Jon Jones

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ngannou gone and Jones coming back.

CarlCX posted:

happy 2023, everybody

:sigh:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

CarlCX posted:

imagine, for a moment, that you had a terrifying yet eminently likable 6'4" heavyweight kickboxer with appeal in multiple international markets and a virtual guarantee of producing at least one mainstream-adored highlight-reel knockout per year, and all you had to do was pay him not like a schmuck, and you decided that actually, instead, the promotionally responsible choice is to bet on Jon Jones

lmaooooo

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Ngannou stomping on heads and using grounded knees in One or Rizin is gonna be horrifying

Although lmao if he just goes over to Bellator or some lame poo poo

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
sucks that Ngannou is gone. I hope he goes and fights Tyson Fury and makes a ton of money and comes back. but Jones-Gane is a sick fight. that's going to rule (if Jon can make it lol)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

He's gonna sign with PFL they have the capital to go crazy with it and they badly need a star to get their ppv division going

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

If Chatri is not currently on a conference call offering to sell his own family to whatever shadowy figures are bankrolling ONE to send the money truck to Ngannou's house, he is no promoter at all.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Cannot wait to see how JBJ fucks this up

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

This is the current content of my notes for next month's news section

i am begging january to stop

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

It's the most actually hosed up thing for the UFC to do so of course it's what happened, I hope Jones fucks this up for the UFC with his typical joie de vie and the fight gets scrapped

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I really want to see what kind of numbers Francis was offered. At any rate hoping that he actually fights at some point.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBhrSlu9fh4
dana white attempting to make ngannou look bad like always

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Don't write about paul until he actually fights a real opponent (he won't)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Orange Carlisle posted:

dana white attempting to make ngannou look bad like always

He pasted Ngannou's face over the video of him slapping his wife?

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Francis vs Fedor in Bellator. Let's do it.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Ngannou vs Bader lmao

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Oh, I was on my phone and assumed it was a big jumbotron on the outside of the stadium, not a big physical banner.
Which makes this:
> I've been told the Gane vs. Jones T-Mobile graphic has been taken down, was a behind-the-scenes mistake.
that much more irrational if true -- they had the sign people take it down, only to put it back up later in the day? I'm sure the work contract could enforce that, but still, just let it slide. The narrative doesn't get any different to control, unless like Francis was still in a room with Dana after the sign went up, and he didn't want his head punched off.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Oh, I was on my phone and assumed it was a big jumbotron on the outside of the stadium, not a big physical banner.
Which makes this:
> I've been told the Gane vs. Jones T-Mobile graphic has been taken down, was a behind-the-scenes mistake.
that much more irrational if true -- they had the sign people take it down, only to put it back up later in the day? I'm sure the work contract could enforce that, but still, just let it slide. The narrative doesn't get any different to control, unless like Francis was still in a room with Dana after the sign went up, and he didn't want his head punched off.

Remember: Ariel Helwani wasn't blackballed from the UFC for criticizing them or talking about fighter pay or having weird interviews, but for leaking Brock Lesnar vs Mark Hunt at UFC 200 before Dana had the pleasure of announcing it. It's entirely likely they pulled it because Dana wanted to have his attention moment.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

Stealth Tiger posted:

Francis vs Fedor in Bellator. Let's do it.

When Fedor somehow wins that fight by submission we all turn into corncobs

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Remember that Francis could probably pull 8 figures for a fight against a post-prime boxer like Chisora and probably 7 for fighting a fringe-top-100 heavyweight. The MMA orgs will need to match that type of pay to difficulty of opponent ratio, and I just don't see them doing that, at least not without Francis doing a bankruptcy tour of a bunch. Even the PFL tournament would be more work for less pay than KOing some bum on a Jake Paul card.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brut posted:

Don't write about paul until he actually fights a real opponent (he won't)

this is stupid as gently caress

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Can't believe Noted Spousal Abuser Dana White cut off his nose to spite his own face, re: the enormous, highly marketable knockout machine that was his heavyweight champion because he refused to pay him slightly more money

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009
I guess this makes Vacant a double champ

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Request the mods edit the thread to include the following poll:

"What's the worst thing Dana White has done?"
1. Allign himself with literal fascists
2. Publicly abuse his wife
3. Make me agree with Jake Paul

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Bluedeanie posted:

Request the mods edit the thread to include the following poll:

"What's the worst thing Dana White has done?"
1. Allign himself with literal fascists
2. Publicly abuse his wife
3. Make me agree with Jake Paul

oh, I have plans for next month, trust me

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

does anyone remember those fights in that Brazilian basement where half the cage was a concrete wall and big monster fought

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

Can't believe Noted Spousal Abuser Dana White cut off his nose to spite his own face, re: the enormous, highly marketable knockout machine that was his heavyweight champion because he refused to pay him slightly more money

He's so good at thinking about the future. A rare misstep.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1614463760533430273

loving LMAO

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

brian posted:

I imagine someone already posted this in the last thread but boy howdy what a good essay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltYTPauj_k4

Ariel giving him more and more rope to hang himself with in the interview :lol:

I know nothing about this scandal so this is very :hmm: to me and I think this is a problem!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think White's punishment for slapping his wife should be that Ngannou gets to punch him
And White's punishment for loving Ngannou out of a fair payday is that Ngannou gets to punch him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Dana said some stuff: https://sports.yahoo.com/dana-white-francis-ngannou-rejected-143034354.html

Dana White posted:

[Ngannou] feels he’s in a good position where he can fight lesser opponents and make more money. So we’re going to let him do that.

Now I’m no expert but I think that there may be a serious flaw in the UFC’s business plan when that’s an option for the heavyweight champion.