Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
Hello guitar thread,

I’ve been a perpetual novice with a guitar I’ve always hated the sound of so it was completely demotivating but my wife just bought me a nice acoustic and it’s so fun.

I went to go sell this old guitar I bought for $50 off a friend’s dad maybe 19 years ago and eBay and Facebook marketplace say it’s worth more than that but I can’t find a good analogue. It’s a white dean z signature that’s a little beat up but not too bad. There’s no other identifying info except a serial number which starts in 86 so I think that means that’s the year it was made.

How would you ballpark what it’s worth to sell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Sunny Side Up posted:

Hello guitar thread,

I’ve been a perpetual novice with a guitar I’ve always hated the sound of so it was completely demotivating but my wife just bought me a nice acoustic and it’s so fun.

I went to go sell this old guitar I bought for $50 off a friend’s dad maybe 19 years ago and eBay and Facebook marketplace say it’s worth more than that but I can’t find a good analogue. It’s a white dean z signature that’s a little beat up but not too bad. There’s no other identifying info except a serial number which starts in 86 so I think that means that’s the year it was made.

Have you checked if you can find a similar one on reverb.com? That'll give you an idea of what they go for.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Sunny Side Up posted:

Hello guitar thread,

A quick look at Reverb says there is one for sale for $450 plus $50 for shipping. I have no idea is that’s an actual selling price or just an asking price. Given it’s been there for 2 months, I’d assume it’s probably over priced.

https://reverb.com/item/62565293-dean-z-signature-super-strat-1980-s-white

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I did a little googling around because I'm always interested in different import stuff and found a blog post that said those Deans are made in Korea by Samick or Cort, and found some old listings for much less than that 450 asking price. I can't imagine it's worth much more than 300 bucks given that you can find player-grade MIJ Jacksons/Ibanezes for less than 500 if you're diligent.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Southern Cassowary posted:

I did a little googling around because I'm always interested in different import stuff and found a blog post that said those Deans are made in Korea by Samick or Cort, and found some old listings for much less than that 450 asking price. I can't imagine it's worth much more than 300 bucks given that you can find player-grade MIJ Jacksons/Ibanezes for less than 500 if you're diligent.

That $450 listing says it’s MIJ. Could be wrong though idk how diligent reverb is.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
drat thank you all, we were gonna put it on FB for $25. I’ll do a little more searching on reverb and price much lower cause it’s a little dinged up. Thanks!

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

TheMightyBoops posted:

That $450 listing says it’s MIJ. Could be wrong though idk how diligent reverb is.

Yeah, I don't know either given that I just took it from a blog post. Who knows.

If it is MIJ I'd want pictures.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Any advice on how to match single coil pickups to a humbucker? I don't need them perfectly balanced for volume, but I'm trying to short-circuit at least just a bit of the (inevitable) binary search. I love PAF humbucker tone for example, but I keep hearing in a neck (Alnico 2 at 7.5-8k ohms) they will overpower my single coil bridge pickup (Alnico 5 at 10k ohms), or sound muddy.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 15, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I just have the tele bridge pickup fairly close to the strings and the neck hum really low, like the cover sticks about 1/16" out from the pickguard, and they're balanced.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

A quick look at Reverb says there is one for sale for $450 plus $50 for shipping. I have no idea is that’s an actual selling price or just an asking price. Given it’s been there for 2 months, I’d assume it’s probably over priced.

https://reverb.com/item/62565293-dean-z-signature-super-strat-1980-s-white

That's a Korean one made by Cort for sure, the hole in the neckplate for adjusting the neck angle is kind of the giveaway as is the two point bridge. He's optimistic with that price, $200 max IMO.

TheMightyBoops posted:

Reverb doesn't give a poo poo what you put in the description unless it's an outright counterfeit, and even then someone has to report the listing.

As a guy with a bunch of Korean stuff, the general rules are.
- If Made in Japan is stamped on the neckplate or printed on the guitar, it's Japanese.
- If they say it's made in Japan, it's probably Korean, made by Samick or Cort, and the sticker has been removed.
- If they say it's Korean, it's probably made in Taiwan or India if it's from the 80s, again with the sticker removed.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Day 4 of learning guitar. Finger pain seems to be mostly gone now. I can consistently hit the D and A chords with no tweaks needed. I’m enjoying this quite a bit, it’s cool to see the noticeable improvement each day. Switching chords along with a metronome, I get real clumsy at more than 110 bpm switching every fourth beat and I tend to gently caress up the number of strings I strum after a dozen switches or so at that pace. Still though, I look forward to each practice session even if the actual stuff I’m doing is really audibly repetitive.

Probably getting in an hour of practice a day, but in small 15 or 20 minutes chunks.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Great work!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I put a ehx flanger after this jhs morning glory and it has some horrible high pitch frequency noise meanwhile unplug the boutique jhs mg and plug in the Berihinger tube screamer that costs 7x less and no annoying whine :raise: (I tried isolating power already). I guess some pedals just can’t be friends?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Power chords and like, properly muting the other strings finally clicked for me today. Now I'm gonna have fun practicing switch from barre chords to non-barre chords. I love how whenever I think I've built up the calluses I need to there's actually more stuff I'll need different callus for lmao

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ethanol posted:

I put a ehx flanger after this jhs morning glory and it has some horrible high pitch frequency noise meanwhile unplug the boutique jhs mg and plug in the Berihinger tube screamer that costs 7x less and no annoying whine :raise: (I tried isolating power already). I guess some pedals just can’t be friends?

The EHX wasn't getting enough power, that's exactly what my microPOG does if it's not getting enough amperage. I don't think the JHS is to blame for that, the power consumption I can find is pretty similar between that and the TO800 (43mA vs 30mA).

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

The EHX wasn't getting enough power, that's exactly what my microPOG does if it's not getting enough amperage. I don't think the JHS is to blame for that, the power consumption I can find is pretty similar between that and the TO800 (43mA vs 30mA).

I have it on more than enough power unless there is something I don't understand.
this is my power brick. it's not 'the best' but it should be able to handle this

It still happens if I put the flanger on battery. The only way it doesn't happen is if I put the JHS after the flanger or take it out of the loop.

edit: i used a multilmeter to adjust one of those variable voltage to exactly 9.6 volts which is what the EHX wall brick puts out, and that made the noise start to sweep and reduce a bit. I think I'll get the $10 ehx wall brick and just see if it fixes it.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 15, 2023

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
I’m going to take a ride to GC in a bit and I’m kind of on the lookout for some pedals. Nothing crazy just something to accentuate my orange rocker 15 tube. I was thinking something along the lines of a tube screamer and a reverb maybe a flange? Really I’m just looking for some 90s metal/grunge with a touch of Van Halen?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Nitrousoxide posted:

Day 4 of learning guitar. Finger pain seems to be mostly gone now. I can consistently hit the D and A chords with no tweaks needed. I’m enjoying this quite a bit, it’s cool to see the noticeable improvement each day. Switching chords along with a metronome, I get real clumsy at more than 110 bpm switching every fourth beat and I tend to gently caress up the number of strings I strum after a dozen switches or so at that pace. Still though, I look forward to each practice session even if the actual stuff I’m doing is really audibly repetitive.

Probably getting in an hour of practice a day, but in small 15 or 20 minutes chunks.

My learning has had to be paused, I've pinched a nerve in my neck and while guitar might not have caused it , it definitely makes it much worse.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Lungboy posted:

My learning has had to be paused, I've pinched a nerve in my neck and while guitar might not have caused it , it definitely makes it much worse.

I hosed my back up over Christmas and while sitting properly was pain I could lay in bed and noodle around ok in certain neck positions

If you are new though ymmv wrt wrist flexibility I guess

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I’m going to take a ride to GC in a bit and I’m kind of on the lookout for some pedals. Nothing crazy just something to accentuate my orange rocker 15 tube. I was thinking something along the lines of a tube screamer and a reverb maybe a flange? Really I’m just looking for some 90s metal/grunge with a touch of Van Halen?

Boost/OD, delay, or reverb. Looks like the rocker 15 doesn't have an onboard reverb so that would probably be my first choice if you don't already have one. Maybe a chorus if you want the early 90's grunge thing.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

landgrabber posted:

emo talk: i love jeff rosenstock and his guitar tones and i wanted to post this because i came across it because i want to write songs that sound like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK0gxhsxxwQ

jeff is usually more punky- but this one's solidly emo and i adoooore it. he's a big inspiration to me

hey i tried tabbing out the intro for this song but not 100% on how accurate it is, capo on first fret, #s relative to capo:

code:
e|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|--7--7--6--6--7--7--7--12-----12--12--12--12--12--12--12-----4--4--6--6--7--7--7-----12--12--12--12--12--12--12-----
E|--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0------0---0---0---0---0---0---0------0--0--0--0--0--0--0-----0---0---0---0---0---0---0------

e||-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
B||-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------||
G||*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*||
D||*-----------------------6-----6--6--6--6--6--6--6--------------------------6-----6--6--6--6--6--6--6--*||
A||---4--4--6--6--7--7--7--0-----0--0--0--0--0--0--0-----4--4--6--6--7--7--7--0-----0--0--0--0--0--0--0---||
E||---5--5--5--5--5--5--5--------------------------------5--5--5--5--5--5--5------------------------------||

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Sounds like you're doing great.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

suggestions for writing more abrasive sounding music?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Employ either dissonance, or noise.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Throw lots of ugly noise and distortion in the sound. Focus on percussion and not harmony. All that stuff you've been nerding out about with chords and progressions, do the exact opposite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJNgxS1qam4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Dp9WNgX08

When I think abrasive, but still catchy, this is what pops into my head. For Pretty Hate Machine, Reznor was pissed at everything in life, but especially MTV and the whole music scene. Everything he did was prefixed "gently caress this thing specifically":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g5KTwlxt_Q

And what my wife calls the most abrasive music in the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfHqrstanH0

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i guess i mean abrasive like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7odscm-v104

or

tired of sex-- which i'm amazed by because it sounds a little abrasive and it's not upbeat but it's in Gb and its chord progression is I-V-vi-V-IV-I in the main verse and shouldn't that sound super major key? very weird

lately i'm also trying to figure out how to write short yet still unusual/interesting chord progressions, and stuff that loops easily-- figuring out those aspects specifically is kinda difficult

also trying to wrangle the chromatic mediants and secondary dominants and that's really hard. using them without it feeling like "LOOK! A CHORD OUT OF THE KEY!" and stuff like that.

e: also i saw that band (Wednesday) and that song live (that's how i found out about them) and hearing that song live was super cool

landgrabber fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 16, 2023

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

landgrabber posted:

suggestions for writing more abrasive sounding music?

Tritones, chromatics and diminished chords/scales

e: reverse reverb into a dirty amp

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 16, 2023

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

also i still cant find my fretboard action ruler thing i'm fuckin pissed

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

landgrabber posted:

also i still cant find my fretboard action ruler thing i'm fuckin pissed

Channel that anger into an abrasive song :rock:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Tritones, chromatics and diminished chords/scales

e: reverse reverb into a dirty amp

also distortion after the amp, not into the amp

and feed things that aren't guitars into the amp

and single steps (almost always descending), no pretty progressions
Weird poo poo like #C/C to A#/A, single steps like that - I don't know what the technical term for single tone movements like that are and I'm sure they fit into scales plenty but I know it's stuff Bowie/Eno/Trent etc. used a lot in their music.

a lot of Trent's/NIN's guitar sounds are played with distortion pedals directly into a DAW/speaker, no amp involved

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 16, 2023

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It’s stereotypical for a guitar player but I’ve always wanted a Strat and saw a really good deal on reverb for a Pro II series in Miami Blue that I grabbed for my birthday coming up in a few weeks since I had decided against buying some other things I had saved up for I could put the money towards. Really excited for it to get here, haven’t bought a new guitar in about 10 years and recently felt like I’ve gotten past some plateaus in my skill so it’ll be a nice reward.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

finally found the string action ruler!

it was under my paper tray soooo makes sense why it was so hard to find

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
always in the last place u look eh so it goes

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

it seems like guitar accessories are especially prone to disappearing into the void

one is really none

this is why you need at least 3 tuners, capos, and string winders/snippers and like a billion picks
I've even stopped buying those sorts of things in neutral colors if I can avoid it. Black or metallic may look cool but it's a lot harder to lose neon poo poo
and neon is cool too

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Had an almost disaster today. Somehow my strap screw was almost completely unscrewed on my baritone. I think the strap locks I have don't rotate freely and must have slowly worked it out over time. Make sure to check your straps and stuff.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I found my floyd rose Allen key so I don’t have to fish the set of hex keys out of the toolbox, for how long though?

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

it seems like guitar accessories are especially prone to disappearing into the void

one is really none

this is why you need at least 3 tuners, capos, and string winders/snippers and like a billion picks
I've even stopped buying those sorts of things in neutral colors if I can avoid it. Black or metallic may look cool but it's a lot harder to lose neon poo poo
and neon is cool too

So I got one of these things for Christmas from my sister like 3 years ago, and it is maybe the best gift anyone has ever gotten me.

Keeps everything I could ever need to fix a guitar in one spot(other than my soldering iron). It folds up into a square shaped case, and I keep all my guitar setup stuff in it. I think it was like 100 bucks? Worth it imo.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 17, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Malaria posted:

So I got one of these things for Christmas from my sister like 3 years ago, and it is maybe the best gift anyone has ever gotten me.

Keeps everything I could ever need to fix a guitar in one spot(other than my soldering iron). It folds up into a square shaped case, and I keep all my guitar setup stuff in it. I think it was like 100 bucks? Worth it imo.

That looks pretty loving rad

needs a little chest of drawers and maybe a magnetic tray in bright orange to complete it but after that you'd basically be walking around like a guitar doctor with that thing

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My buddy bought a 1970 Gibson es330td. He brought it over and we played it a bit through my sovtek mig 100. Holy smokes.

For a 70, it's in better shape than one of my guitars from the 90s. Slight finish aging as the nitro is just starting to age. It's beautiful. Wish I had taken a photo. Original hardshell case. Original hang tags and everything else that came with at the original purchase. One owner.

The neck is thin and fast. The action is as perfectly low as you can get without buzz. The frets look a little low and flat, guessing they were re-crowned but need replacing soon as they're starting to get flat spots and they're already really low.

The sound though. Those big single coils sound beautiful. The bridge is a bit too bright, but the neck is pure magic. It's nice and round but very clear.

Verman fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

how much $$$

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Behringer vintage overdrive is a no brainer imo, even if you don't end up liking it, its freaking $28

Mr E posted:

It’s stereotypical for a guitar player but I’ve always wanted a Strat and saw a really good deal on reverb for a Pro II series in Miami Blue that I grabbed for my birthday coming up in a few weeks since I had decided against buying some other things I had saved up for I could put the money towards. Really excited for it to get here, haven’t bought a new guitar in about 10 years and recently felt like I’ve gotten past some plateaus in my skill so it’ll be a nice reward.

i love my am pro ii. its one of my favorite stratocaster necks ive ever tried... with the satin finish (feels softer than my mim's satin neck), and the deep C. great pickups for mixing with.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 17, 2023