Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Strikers also gives Ryuji one voiced gently caress-word, and it's possibly his single greatest character moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Strikers also has the Hee-Hoard, which gets a giggle out of me every single time.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Barry Bluejeans posted:

As long as we're talking about an MC lacking in sensitivity:

The two of you are both in Drama Club so my read on this scene is trying to act her confession to you like it's some sort of stage play because she's a huge nerd. Either Yu feels something for her and it becomes like a heartwarming romance scene, or he walks away and Yumi can play it up as if she's a tragic heroine.

Though I don't know if the writers realized that it's also possible to read the scene as Yumi trying to guilt Yu into the relationship.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

amigolupus posted:

The two of you are both in Drama Club so my read on this scene is trying to act her confession to you like it's some sort of stage play because she's a huge nerd. Either Yu feels something for her and it becomes like a heartwarming romance scene, or he walks away and Yumi can play it up as if she's a tragic heroine.

Though I don't know if the writers realized that it's also possible to read the scene as Yumi trying to guilt Yu into the relationship.

Isn't she the one whose dad or something is in the hospital, and at some point she gets all lovely with you because reasons?

I definitely read it like she was trying to guilt me.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I am definitely gonna check them out but I'm afraid since I started with P5R I'm gonna bounce off the older gameplay of 3 and 4.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah Strikers was clearly better than P5

It gave us Sophia, after all

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, this (basically end of game boss spoiler do not read)Maruki fight is a bitch. I'm playing on merciless since I switched over for the Okumura fight and it sounds like the attack waves and debuffs are a lot heavier on higher difficulties I guess. I just got him down to a magic pixel of health in the second phase when he got 3/4 of my team with dizzy followed by a technical which wiped everyone out after a long-rear end battle. Debating bumping the diff back down since it's not like I started the game on Merciless but at the same time I had him reeeeal low..

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Basic question how are you actually supposed to fight bosses like shido? I'm a normal pleb and was overleveled by abusing ryuji's passive in mementos and just stacked kajas and stat checked him but are there tricks to actually get statuses to stick on him so you can baton pass?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

HaB posted:

Isn't she the one whose dad or something is in the hospital, and at some point she gets all lovely with you because reasons?

I definitely read it like she was trying to guilt me.

Yeah the gist of her S.Link is that her dad was a deadbeat who ran out on her and her mom for another woman, but now he is in the hospital dying. The mom made peace with him and wants Yumi to do so as well before the dad dies, but she doesn't want to. And to be fair the mom is really lovely about it, like after she fails to convince Yumi to meet her dad on her own she fakes collapsing and being rushed to the hospital to get Yumi to come, and then tries to guilt her into doing it outside his hospital room.

IIRC the resolution of the S.Link is that Yumi does meet her dad and is happy that she did so, which is funny because honestly her initial decision to :sever: with the rear end in a top hat who abandoned her was correct and her parents are the ones acting like selfish assholes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

No Wave posted:

Basic question how are you actually supposed to fight bosses like shido? I'm a normal pleb and was overleveled by abusing ryuji's passive in mementos and just stacked kajas and stat checked him but are there tricks to actually get statuses to stick on him so you can baton pass?

Basically, they're just endurance matches; you're not supposed to knock down solo bosses and get off baton passes, and I think most of them are straight immune to knockdown even if you do land a crit or a technical. Those mechanics basically disappear outside of the handful of Royal fights tailored to reintroduce them. Stack debuffs on them, definitely counter skills like Heat Riser, buff what stats you can, and keep your health topped while you lay into them. You can probably suss out their patterns and do cool poo poo like tetrakarn their sickest attack, but you're never supposed to.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Basically, they're just endurance matches; you're not supposed to knock down solo bosses and get off baton passes, and I think most of them are straight immune to knockdown even if you do land a crit or a technical. Those mechanics basically disappear outside of the handful of Royal fights tailored to reintroduce them. Stack debuffs on them, definitely counter skills like Heat Riser, buff what stats you can, and keep your health topped while you lay into them. You can probably suss out their patterns and do cool poo poo like tetrakarn their sickest attack, but you're never supposed to.
Ah ok ty I'm not doing it wrong. Kind of surprising for P5 to introduce these mechanics and make them effectively mandatory vs okamura but then the final fights might as well be P4.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

No Wave posted:

Ah ok ty I'm not doing it wrong. Kind of surprising for P5 to introduce these mechanics and make them effectively mandatory vs okamura but then the final fights might as well be P4.

The final fight against Maruki uses baton pass mechanics fairly significantly to deal with his tentacles. Most bosses, particularly pre-Royal have no weaknesses so it's party buff/boss nerf combos you need.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

The final fight against Maruki uses baton pass mechanics fairly significantly to deal with his tentacles.

I was actually gonna mention this. With Yoshitsune you could two-turn kill both of Maruki's Azathoth phases by going party buff + Fighting Spirit + High Energy + Checkmate in the first turn then trigger a Baton Pass in the second turn making sure to end with Joker. Agneyastra > Mafreidyne or Atomic Flare > Blazing Hell should wipe out all the tentacles then a Hassou Tobi boosted by Fighting Spirit at the end of the chain should be enough to down Azathoth itself.

anakha fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 12, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

P5R needs a breakup option so you can have joker date haru without 2-timing.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Emotional blackmail is the cornerstone of every successful relationship

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

Emotional blackmail is the cornerstone of every successful relationship

I'm reminded that I messed up Naoto's SL in my last replay of P4:G and I ended up alone but maybe it was a better ending than I imagined since yeah :aaa:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Sydin posted:

Yeah the gist of her S.Link is that her dad was a deadbeat who ran out on her and her mom for another woman, but now he is in the hospital dying. The mom made peace with him and wants Yumi to do so as well before the dad dies, but she doesn't want to. And to be fair the mom is really lovely about it, like after she fails to convince Yumi to meet her dad on her own she fakes collapsing and being rushed to the hospital to get Yumi to come, and then tries to guilt her into doing it outside his hospital room.

IIRC the resolution of the S.Link is that Yumi does meet her dad and is happy that she did so, which is funny because honestly her initial decision to :sever: with the rear end in a top hat who abandoned her was correct and her parents are the ones acting like selfish assholes.

Ah, so it's not just the party member S.Links that end with the person being happy to conform to the thing that's making them miserable, huh?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Tearfully thanking her parents for giving birth to her meanwhile I'm stood outside in the hospital corridor looking at my watch wondering if there's time to get back before drama club finishes. We never got to see the terrible high school play they were rehearsing which was a much worse crime than the fog murders

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
P4 has some really dumb S.Links but on the other hand I'd like to shout out Moon which might legit be one of if not the best written S.Link in the entire mainline series. Ai is straight out of Mean Girls and most of the turbonerds who play the game are going to reflexively respond to her as such: either by immediately simping for her or calling her out as a terrible person, both of which end up tanking the relationship. But if you actually take the time to approach her as person you find out it's all basically an act born from her having a complex over being unpopular in middle school and leaning too hard into a high school glow-up after her parents lucked into some money. A lot of her S.Link also involves her having an honest to god crush on another character who is not the self-insert protagonist, and then after that person clearly doesn't reciprocate learning that it's not the end of the world and eventually the feelings process and you move on. Like it's not perfect but it's such a weirdly nuanced story line in a sea of otherwise mostly lazy cliche anime bullshit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wrapped P5R up today, I bumped the difficulty back down to Normal and breezed through the last fights and I'm glad I did. I was getting a bit fatigued towards the end of the game but part of that was playing on Merciless really dragging out the fights. I don't often complete games so it's definitely saying something that I stuck with this one to the end.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I started the 3rd semester:

All the happy fake memories of the team made me feel their suffering esp since we all know how it will end for everyone now :gbsmith:

Also, Futuba and Makato's late parents being alive made me relate a lot since there's like I wonder if alt world my other parent would be alive too.

I do find it funny Joker's idea of Akechi is someone who is relentless and then it's him nearly dying each time during the duo battles but then telling me not to hold him back later. I'm like finally I got Sumire to be my party member...I waited so long.

Also, I'm feeling fatigued too as I'm tired of backtracking to find keys to unlock the special locks on the Maruki's palace and the floors feel too big. And I dream someday I will be free from Mementos too.

BTW: I feel like Mona could have shared the bed though because we're just great pals.

I finished it 51 hours with ALOT of forwarding of old parts :v:

I admit Maruki was sympathetic all the way until he made us do the extremely tedious boss battle and then I felt maybe he should've died earlier to save me the effort. The entire time I felt like a lot of suffering exists and there is nothing we can do about it but move forward. Also thanks for shipping Joker/Akechi the most out of the entire cast.

Akechi being his true self who is just extremely honest is just pretty amusing for the 3rd semester and I get it yeah he's gone but at least his memory will live on with us. Also, I'm like glad Royal exists to give everyone a better idea of what motivated him and his final choice for us.

Sumire was ok...I admit I feel kinda meh towards her confidant and events since she only joined us at the final palace and I'm like drat I know it would have made no sense but I still felt I waited way too long.

Mementos are still super tiresome even with Jose and boost to everything I ended up stopping the last requests since I just wanted it to stop.

As I mentioned earlier I got the Forever Alone ending where Joker didn't date any of the girls and I liked the new scenes with Futaba and Soijrio.

Then the final few weeks I just spent cooking curry and brewing coffee only to realize I never used them at all is how some things never change when I play JRPG.

Alder fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 14, 2023

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Guess which part of the game I'm at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjfSZu246zE

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
ah yes, the summer festival

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ayane isn't that bad. Yeah, terrible as a romance partner but her slink is good and she also have weather control powers

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:nallears:

The loving new 1v1 palace 7 phase uses Almighty attacks if you're on Merciless mode. What a way to ruin such a hyped-up moment to send me back to do the entirety of that bullshit all over again.

"Oh it's just a glorified cutscene from this point out I just switch to a Reflect Physical Persona aaaaaaand nope well gently caress me I guess"

I could have sworn it was all physical the last time I played this.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Huh, I just reflected an attack (Phys? Ice? can't remember) and won the 1 vs 1 fight.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I just played that on normal and opponent at least used holy, curse and physical so I just equipped black rider and blocked the holy+curse he'd do. Granted on normal you dont really have to do anything but he didn't stick to physical.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
For me the pattern was Megidolaon, Conqueror Fist (or whatever it's called, it's a Light-elemental attack), Medigolaeon, Heat Riser, repeat

but apparently it varies. First time around I immediately got ethered because my Girimehalka is weak to Light, second time around I switched to some Light-absorbing persona but still burned through almost all of my megalixirs scraping out a win. Realized way too late that my stack of 200HP heal items wasn't going to do poo poo against that level of damage output.

Anyway yeah long story short is go in prepared I guess. Well, I guess that's to be expected when playing on the hardest difficulty level.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Maybe merciless has scripting to dick you over, but at least on lower difficulties the Ring of Vanity is a lifesaver for solo fights; it negates all weaknesses so you can use whichever persona you need without worrying about elemental attacks, and its active ability absorbs one attack, which means getting off a block and a heal in a single action.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I did that fight on Merciless and Samael in the 1v1 just cycled elements in a real obvious easy pattern. He did sometimes throw in an Almighty attack but I think that was a response to trying to repel? He would gladly heal me when I used drain for my resistance at least. No Physical (or Gun) stuff at any point, but the fight didn't last too long at that point so maybe that would've come later.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How do you beat The Twins. I'm dealing like zero damage to them and just just kill me with a down+all out. I just beat 7th palace and I'm worried they're going to disappear and I won't be able to fight them again.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

HootTheOwl posted:

How do you beat The Twins. I'm dealing like zero damage to them and just just kill me with a down+all out. I just beat 7th palace and I'm worried they're going to disappear and I won't be able to fight them again.

You use Yoshitsune or Izanagi-no-Okami

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Alder posted:

I'm reminded that I messed up Naoto's SL in my last replay of P4:G and I ended up alone but maybe it was a better ending than I imagined since yeah :aaa:

Naoto has the most heartbreaking scene in any modern Persona if you two-time her.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Have your party maxed out in terms of confidant level and learned abilities. You're gonna need their Rank 10 Evade abilities.

Attack buffs + Debilitate + Charge/Concentrate (save up the items you have with these effects). Maybe have a dedicated healer/buffer/debuffer while the others in your party focus on mass damage.

The goal is to deal about 2,700 total damage in 5 turns or less per phase, and this fight is like 5-6 phases long so keep that in mind.

Do NOT use attacks that hit a random number of times. You wanna deal equal damage to each of them because if you kill one while the other is still alive, the living twin will full revive the other.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

anakha posted:

Have your party maxed out in terms of confidant level and learned abilities. You're gonna need their Rank 10 Evade abilities.
eh i didn't have a problem with no ranks in the minimal confidant run, by then you should have a really broken persona combo in NG+

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I have a level 99 99-all satanael and they still just kill everyone.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's really important in that fight to keep buffs and debuffs up so they don't just chain weakness hits and instead spend turns removing those.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
also don't have weaknesses on joker and don't get him critically hit so he can't be downed

give him your most OP persona (ideally something with a severe AoE spell and the corresponding boost/amp) and have your party members spam the Okumura skill on him and stack buffs/debuffs and you can power through

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 16, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm not an expert but is there anything stronger than charge + hassei Tobi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
oh, yeah or that but with whatever ring lets you cast charge on a party member