Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I just finished reading this as well, good stuff about the flying 🥚

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Beef Stew posted:

Anyone have some links to stories/ sightings of enormous city sized UAPs? I looked around online but the biggest stuff I saw was "only" stadium sized. I feel like I've seen stories in here of things that witnesses described more like "flying upside down cities" or something to that effect. I don't really care about credibility, I just want to read some interesting stories.

few and far between, but stuff that size does pop up in NUFORC; I've only found reports of objects of similar size, not that exact description. im sure theres more in the database, this is just what ive seen so far

radar, but 80-100 miles in diameter

massive disks "parked" on the moon

camoflaged object blocking out enormous area of night sky

another big object close to the moon

city-sized craft over the Philippines

dark object "bigger than a city" attracting clouds

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Beef Stew posted:

Anyone have some links to stories/ sightings of enormous city sized UAPs? I looked around online but the biggest stuff I saw was "only" stadium sized. I feel like I've seen stories in here of things that witnesses described more like "flying upside down cities" or something to that effect. I don't really care about credibility, I just want to read some interesting stories.

The Japan airlines one was supposed to be pretty big

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
WEH you're such a massive asset to this thread

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

WEH you're such a massive asset to this thread

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
The Mother Plane is a half mile by half mile with 1,500 smaller craft..

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I tried to fix it multiple times and then resigned to assuming it was only my end (or else that the ad would play first and then the video normally). Posting through Awful app so unsure... like, nothing I did would prevent it from showing the ad but also the link is showing right under it so figured people could use that. But that might just be displaying like that on my end, also?

I'll try to fix it soon, don't think I can on the app.

Here:

Perry Mason Jar posted:

This is a decent companion video, despite appearances (?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs6hUE2npaQ

Sorry again. Had to use my laptop, no go with the app for reasons unclear.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Rickshaw posted:

I would be so excited if there were a nearby black hole in our solar system that we could study. I think science goal #1 would be to observe and confirm its Hawking radiation-- although we are pretty unanimously sure of Hawking radiation, it's still unobserved in nature. Confirming it would be a huge milestone. There are other experiments we have done where quantum mechanics interacts with gravity (here's a neat example https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abl7152) although those aren't properly about quantum gravity.

Hawking radiation isn't exactly about quantum gravity, either, but it is a consequence of quantum field theory in curved spacetime, and it leads directly to some of the paradoxes that are currently pushing the boundaries of our theories (black hole information paradox, holography, black hole complementarity, ER=EPR, etc) which ultimately, hopefully, point to whatever the new paradigm will be when quantum gravity is properly understood. Observational confirmation of Hawking radiation would be a very big deal.

As for singularities and infinities, they're definitely not real, they indicate where the assumptions of our current theories break down. A great example from history is the ultraviolet catastrophe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_catastrophe

Before quantum mechanics was understood, the combination of electromagnetic theory and thermodynamics suggested that any object with a temperature should emit infinite energy as short-wavelength electromagnetic waves. So even without understanding quantum, you could definitely point to a place where the theories get weird-- and they got weird because the physical understanding was incomplete. The real problem that leads to the UV catastrophe is the assumption that matter and light couple continuously, and that you can emit light waves with arbitrarily small wavelengths, even down to infinitesimally small, infinitely energetic light waves. That already sounds a little sussy even before you understand the resolution.

The resolution of this paradox is something that *nobody* could have seen coming, though. It wasn't just a matter of slightly tweaking electromagnetism-- adding some new term to maxwell's equations or whatever. We fundamentally change our mathematical description from continuous differential vector field equations to the Hilbert spaces of quantum mechanics, a move that nobody really understands to this day. But the consequence is that light is not described as a single wave, but as a superposition of particles, and when you follow that logic out it resolves the UV paradox. Planck had even come up with an empirical law that resolved this, before the underlying physics was understood, and that law assumed that light could only be emitted / absorbed in discrete packets.

The black hole singularity is an artifact of general relativity, so to understand where it comes from you have to look at the assumptions of general relativity. And here the sussy bit seems (to me, at least) to be again the assumption that we can describe spacetime as a smooth manifold down to infinitely small distances. Even in current quantum field theory we understand that this is not a safe assumption- we cut off the ultraviolet degrees of freedom at some point and say we are just dealing with a low-energy effective field theory, to avoid creating infinities. The same seems to apply in gravity, although the resolution is not yet clear.

So the idea is that when properly understood, quantum gravity will describe the interior of the black hole without a singularity. But our description of gravity and spacetime will have to look fundamentally different- perhaps as different as quantum mechanics is from classical field theory.

Apologies if this is already understood, I felt kind of like writing this out because I've been thinking about it a lot lately.

no that was an excellent post

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
yeah the expertise in this thread rules, thanks y'all.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i was wondering about the spagetthi thing too, would that really happen? that the fact my feet are somewhat below my head would it actually stretch me out like that?
this itself assumes i can tell up from down at all. past the event horizon all directions are the same? its hard to even think about for me

more importantly, from the person being stretched point of view how long does this take? would your heart still beat and your veins still work? poo poo if you get down to it by the time you see your feet turn into pasta is a brain quick enough to even comprehend something is wrong now?

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

sussy

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sleekly posted:

i was wondering about the spagetthi thing too, would that really happen? that the fact my feet are somewhat below my head would it actually stretch me out like that?
this itself assumes i can tell up from down at all. past the event horizon all directions are the same? its hard to even think about for me

more importantly, from the person being stretched point of view how long does this take? would your heart still beat and your veins still work? poo poo if you get down to it by the time you see your feet turn into pasta is a brain quick enough to even comprehend something is wrong now?

It's more of a theoretical consequence. By the time you reach the spaghettification zone of a black hole, the radioactive plasma swirling around it would have killed you long ago. If it was a black hole that's not absorbing anything, the tidal forces crushing your brain would kill you before you can notice your limbs stretching out.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

And like a bumblebee rise with a vacuum in front of them, they could move very fast, like a smoke ring (?), Moving at 1000 miles per hour.

Art Bell: oh my goodness.

Yeah and I was working on stuff in my garage, a lot of mathematics. And then they sent me down to a black site down in Australia, near the centre of Australia.

Art: incredible.
Before 1958, worldwide research... Stopped publishing in the same month all around the world. On anti gravity

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

surreal to see vallee going off in the NYT

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/13/us/ufo-new-mexico-congress.html

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

What podcasts should I be listening to

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

https://twitter.com/HighPeaks77/status/1614421828927164419

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

non paywalled version?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Almost a literal 'everything is fine, nothing to see here'

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Inspector Hound posted:

Our Strange Skies

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Slavvy posted:

Almost a literal 'everything is fine, nothing to see here'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKnX5wci404&t=41s

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

And like a bumblebee rise with a vacuum in front of them, they could move very fast, like a smoke ring (?), Moving at 1000 miles per hour.

Art Bell: oh my goodness.

Yeah and I was working on stuff in my garage, a lot of mathematics. And then they sent me down to a black site down in Australia, near the centre of Australia.

Art: incredible.
Before 1958, worldwide research... Stopped publishing in the same month all around the world. On anti gravity

That mostly sounds like nonsense except that last part. I have seen some breakdowns of anti-gravity research and apparently there were quite a lot of mainstream scientists studying it back in the day and it suddenly all stopped. Now whether that's because they all realized it was pointless or got warned off who knows but at one point anti-gravity was a serious topic of research.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

art bell tape vault: what it says on the tin
astonishing legends: deep dives into a decent amount of thread adjacent stuff. kinda corny but informative
our strange skies: basically The History of UFOs. its great.
podcast ufo: current events + interviews. kinda amateurish and corny but about as good as you'll get for current stuff imo
somewhere in the skies: im convinced this is the alphabet soup's podcast but it does have a lot of episodes that are just witness accounts lol. trust em or dont!
the saucer life: similar to oss. good but also kinda corny/skeptical
ufo chronicles podcast: havent listened to this one much at all but it purports to be first hand witness accounts. maybe someone else has a better idea

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

WEH posted:

art bell tape vault: what it says on the tin
astonishing legends: deep dives into a decent amount of thread adjacent stuff. kinda corny but informative
our strange skies: basically The History of UFOs. its great.
podcast ufo: current events + interviews. kinda amateurish and corny but about as good as you'll get for current stuff imo
somewhere in the skies: im convinced this is the alphabet soup's podcast but it does have a lot of episodes that are just witness accounts lol. trust em or dont!
the saucer life: similar to oss. good but also kinda corny/skeptical
ufo chronicles podcast: havent listened to this one much at all but it purports to be first hand witness accounts. maybe someone else has a better idea

Thank you! I've been searching for the good ones and only found a few of these

Oh for Pete's sake with the debris

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

Thank you! I've been searching for the good ones and only found a few of these

if you're open to general weirdness podcasts maybe dip in to otherworld. it's just call-in stories with some production. no outright ufo eps yet, but they may be coming based on the interview the host (jack wagner) did on trueanon a couple months ago. it's fun

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I've enjoyed That UFO Podcast and Astonishing Legends is fun and does some very deep dives into classic stories of all kinds

Welp that's exactly what WEH said about it 👽

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

Bilirubin posted:

non paywalled version?

Here go

https://archive.ph/4VuxN

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

admitting there is recovered debris at all is pretty wild

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

"it's our stuff so im not scared anymore"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

thanks!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Riot Bimbo posted:

"it's our stuff so im not scared anymore"

his word choice feels very deliberate

"not raised any notable alarms" i.e. it's not downed Russian or Chinese miltech that's incomprehensible advanced

so clearly it's alien tech that seems benign bing bong

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The uaps are American, the big secret is they keep relentlessly crashing and it's cost 500 trillion dollars

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

his word choice feels very deliberate

"not raised any notable alarms" i.e. it's not downed Russian or Chinese miltech that's incomprehensible advanced

so clearly it's alien tech that seems benign bing bong

How would you distinguish incomprehensibly advanced Chinese tech from alien tech unless you had actual proof that it was from alie-ooooohhhh

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

anyone got some articles or interviews that go more into the “shadow biome” thing that seems to be gaining a lot of traction?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Slavvy posted:

The uaps are American, the big secret is they keep relentlessly crashing and it's cost 500 trillion dollars

It's America's secret F36 airforce (much better than the F35!), which coincidentally also doesn't work.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

poisonpill posted:

anyone got some articles or interviews that go more into the “shadow biome” thing that seems to be gaining a lot of traction?

Found one from 2015, and a Terraria mod

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comme...nt=share_button

Chinese spy blimp of some sort

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

WEH posted:

the sallie house episodes are great, and a real page turner ? ...or episode downloader? i dunno. it's a good 8 hour listen that's creepy in parts and freaked out one of the hosts lmao

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Farm podcast is generally more Epstein thread subject matter but has some episodes that go into the esoteric and weird that are very this thread relevant

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

D-Pad posted:

That mostly sounds like nonsense except that last part. I have seen some breakdowns of anti-gravity research and apparently there were quite a lot of mainstream scientists studying it back in the day and it suddenly all stopped. Now whether that's because they all realized it was pointless or got warned off who knows but at one point anti-gravity was a serious topic of research.

This is true. There were mainstream research institutes, meetings, and research efforts in the major aerospace companies. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_gravity_control_propulsion_research

It's really hard to see how antigravity would be possible within the current framework of gravity. A lot of cranks like to invoke electricity / magnetism, and it's true that gravity couples to E&M, but like all things gravity it's super weak. Pretty much you need to go beyond general relativity if you want to believe in the possibility of antigravity. It's possible we might find something unexpected in a proper theory of quantum gravity- just as a quantum understanding of matter allows for superconductivity, superfluidity, etc. phenomena that would not be possible or even suspected classically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostal
Jul 13, 2008

D-Pad posted:

From an explanation of a fairly serious uncle of MIC engineering background - when news of fringe research subject drops off, that's when it got classified.