Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This was the worst add-on.

Not an add on

Game Boy Light never came to NA, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

GameCube launch window was incredible. And I waited in a line of like a hundred people overnight for the Wii and it was 100% worth it. My dorm room was constantly filled with people wanting to play Wii Sports for the rest of the semester. I brought it to Thanksgiving and Christmas, my 80 year old grandpa was Wii Bowling with my 10 year old cousin, it was like a commercial. Honestly great memories even if the waggle trend didn't hold up.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Bought my Game Boy Advance, GameCube, and Wii all on launch day. Had a ton of fun waiting in line each time with friends and chatting with people in line. I kinda miss it. Buying my PS5 by constantly refreshing Best Buy’s stupid website for weeks was a miserable experience.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

feeling nostalgic now, how many people had this POV in the back of a car in the 90s

not me. i waited for stretches of road with street lights like a plebian.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This model still holds up
christ, 2001

what a masterpiece of design (art and game mechanics) and technology that game was

I remember seeing this in a magazine preview, and it set my expectation for games for years. I remember thinking Brawl looked like poo poo in previews, because the denim wasn't as high quality as that years later.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Here in the Switch thread, we care highly about denim fidelity

But it is true, Melee was just a masterpiece (especially the amount of time it was made in), even if you weren't big on platform fighters. Looked great, sounded great, easy to pick up. Gamecube was a fantastic console, purple lunchbox and all, and not totally due to heavy bias on it's influence on my childhood.

DS also best handheld, because the eventual selection of games was fantastic and backwards compatibility meant it was also a GBA (also totally unbiased opinion)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the nintendo gaycube

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm the weirdo who thinks Brawl was the best Smash game entirely on the merits of Subspace Emissary.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the best one is ultimate because it has all my favorite characters and online play

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Commander Keene posted:

I'm the weirdo who thinks Brawl was the best Smash game entirely on the merits of Subspace Emissary.

As a huge fan of Soulcalibur II's Sword Master mode, Subspace was good

I don't have a really strong opinion on Brawl compared to the others, it was fun at the time and I haven't really revisited it in a long time. The level maker was good stuff though, alongside being able to duke it out to Metroid Prime 2's versus mode music

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Always loved sc2 link edition sold best of all plays followed by no future soul calibur on Nintendo platforms

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Upsidads posted:

Always loved sc2 link edition sold best of all plays followed by no future soul calibur on Nintendo platforms

Soul Caliber Legends Featuring Lloyd Irving is right there

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Commander Keene posted:

It didn't even have a single character from Eternal Darkness. Complete fail.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the best one is ultimate because it has all my favorite characters and online play

that's why it's called Ultimate :smug:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I loving hate nintendo. Their online poo poo is so loving basic and frustrating.

I have a family account set up on our SWITCH OLED. My kid wants a separate profile so he can win clothes and poo poo on wii sports. Fine. So I went to the nintendo website and logged in as myself and created a new child account from within my account. Great.

Now how the gently caress do I get this child account to appear on the switch???

I am actually reading the manual: https://en-americas-support.nintend...1a1EP:t1-q1a1-c

But on our switch when I go to Settings->Users the only options are Add User and Transfer Your User. The transfer option is useless and the Add User option only allows me to create a new user OR transfer a user from a previous switch. I've tried the transfer option but it complains that my kid's account has never been associated with a switch before so it isn't transferrable.

I'm a complete failure of a father but usually I am at least competent with this tech poo poo. Oh well nintendo has broken me.

edit: Oh you use Add User to create a new user on the switch and then link it to the child account. Clear as loving day. gently caress you nintendo.

other people fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 15, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to create a new profile on the Switch and then link it to the Nintendo account you created on the website.

Profiles =/= Nintendo accounts, you can have profiles that aren't linked to an account and this have no access to the eShop or online play.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
You've figured it out already, but the background is that Nintendo accounts aren't the users on the console, but just an addition to them. The design essentially is that online accounts are secondary and isn't part of the core consoles function, which is especially noticable when developing games for them.
It's much like the 3DS was, only with the ability to create more users.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

pwn posted:

All this game boy talk made me wanna bust out my old giant game boy case, which made me wanna shoot a video of it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogVzqFBRTYE

which took longer than i expected and now chat has probably moved on but here have it anyway.

Seeing them all lined up there, the Pocket is probably my favourite GB design with the big screen and no battery bulge like the Color. I know there's mods for new screens and stuff but is it possible to mod the guts of a GBC into a Pocket case? If so, I would get that and a flash cart and never play anything from after 2001.

Edit: Oh, very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmlvASCstxI

jackhunter64 fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 15, 2023

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Is Skyward Sword worth getting on Switch to fill the gap between BOTW and Zelda BOTW2: The Queen is Dead?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Is Skyward Sword worth getting on Switch to fill the gap between BOTW and Zelda BOTW2: The Queen is Dead?

Some in here will say it’s the greatest Zelda, I can’t loving stand it. The controls just don’t work for me and I hate fighting with them to enjoy the game. It’s very very linear. The plot and characters are good though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Some in here will say it’s the greatest Zelda, I can’t loving stand it. The controls just don’t work for me and I hate fighting with them to enjoy the game. It’s very very linear. The plot and characters are good though.

I hear the Switch controls are better than the Wii version at the very least

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah, I mean they work, I just don’t have any fun doing them and it gets frustrating in later dungeons to the point where I quit playing. I’ve never finished the game.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i finished it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Super-NintendoUser posted:

It’s the worst 3D Zelda but if you can find it cheap enough it may scratch the itch at least.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Man I too remember being blown away by Melee denim. Poured so much time into that game!

Anyway the Dreamcast had the best launch of any console and it's not even close

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

Anyway the Dreamcast had the best launch of any console and it's not even close

:haibrow:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Alan_Shore posted:

Dreamcast the best console and it's not even close

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Melee was incredible, going from Smash 64's chunky polygons and 12 characters to Melee's great models and 25 characters felt unreal. Bowser! Ganondorf! Mewtwo!

Nowadays in Smash Ultimate, being able to set the menu music to Melee's and play most of the Melee stages gets me 90% of the nostalgia fix I need

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

My hot take is if the Dreamcast had used DVD rom instead of GDROM or whatever proprietary format it had, it would have lived a lot longer.

A lot of people bought PS2 as their first affordable DVD player. So imagine if Dreamcast was able to play DVDs especially since it came to market first.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Solaris 2.0 posted:

My hot take is if the Dreamcast had used DVD rom instead of GDROM or whatever proprietary format it had, it would have lived a lot longer.

A lot of people bought PS2 as their first affordable DVD player. So imagine if Dreamcast was able to play DVDs especially since it came to market first.

I've always said this and I refuse to believe otherwise. The launch of the PS2 might be the worst of any console ever, with no games and a bug that deleted all your saves

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Hah, that brings back memories. I went off to college with my Gamecube and PS2 in tow, but I didn't bring any movies cuz I didn't have room for a DVD player when I was transporting my poo poo across the country. I had a small TV with a built-in VCR, but no DVD player. One night I was talking to my mom on the phone and was idly staring at my PS2... when I noticed the DVD logo in the corner of it. Excitedly, I interrupted my mom, "Mom! My PS2 can play DVDs! Can you send me some of my movies?!"

Then I ended up winning a DVD player in a Halloween costume contest. :v:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Dreamcast could play VCDs, unfortunately nobody in the United States knew what those were

I watched Jay and Bob Strike Back on my dreamcast, and besides having to change disks halfway through the quality was identical

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

sega was too broke by that point to afford to license dvd technology and put dvd drives in the dreamcast. it was never an option for them. their previous 6 years of monumental idiocy doomed dreamcast before it even launched.

Cartoon Man posted:

i've never in my life heard anyone, even skyward sword enjoyers, say it was the best zelda. i also find it extremely funny that nintendo had to try and pitch it to people as the prototype for botw when they announced the remaster.

it is the only game in the entire series i did not finish. though frankly i hated twilight princess a lot more and only finished that piece of poo poo out of pure spite.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah the thing that killed dreamcast more than anything else was the Saturn

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah the thing that killed dreamcast more than anything else was the Saturn

No, it wasn't the Saturn aka God's true console, it was the loving mega CD and 32x muddying the waters and putting people off

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Edit: nm

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i've never in my life heard anyone, even skyward sword enjoyers, say it was the best zelda. i also find it extremely funny that nintendo had to try and pitch it to people as the prototype for botw when they announced the remaster.

You heard one now, bitch. It was top of my list before botw came out

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

flavor.flv posted:

You heard one now, bitch. It was top of my list before botw came out

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
There are plenty of bad zelda games and skyward bored is one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Tender Bender posted:

Melee was incredible, going from Smash 64's chunky polygons and 12 characters to Melee's great models and 25 characters felt unreal. Bowser! Ganondorf! Mewtwo!

Nowadays in Smash Ultimate, being able to set the menu music to Melee's and play most of the Melee stages gets me 90% of the nostalgia fix I need

The missing 10% is Samus being good