Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kingturnip posted:

So this is basically performative. On both sides.

Yes, party politics is performative, well noticed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, party politics is performative, well noticed

Yeah, and if this was The West Wing, we'd all give a round of applause and something valuable would be learned.

As it is: Conservative +2

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

personally I'm here to call a holocaust survivor saying we shouldn't repeat the dehumanisation that led to her family's murder 'performative'

take that murdered refugees, you wokescolds

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Personally, living just less than 10m from the river when it's 'full up' and spilling over the fields the other side, I have spent 3 days glued to river level graphs, high tide timetables, weather forecasts and shunting stuff in my flat to higher shelves if possible or deciding it can be sacrificed in a flood. Had little mental energy to read about political shenanigans.

Based on 1 data point ie me, I conclude that the govt has no incentive to resolve crisis situations (financial, health, child care, whatever) because then more people might have the head space to question.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1614432120172052481?s=46&t=b1Y2tYo_4o214Gh1vKbrrg

Controlled opposition going all in on 'lol, gently caress the NHS'.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Why did nobody that let stqrmer in initially google that he was in the trilateral commission? Or was he appointed from on high,
/protected by satan himself a la the usual suspects?

It was interesting to see Bojo experiment with the Rochdale attack line and immediately have a key adviser resign ( everything else is ok but THIS? this is a line I will not cross!!)

Anyway I was reassured to read in the guardian that he listened to the smiths as a teenager so I'm sure he's a good egg.

We are so hosed

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Yeah, looks like the beast is now sufficiently starved that we just have no choice but to put it out of its misery.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Minor point, but isn't making family doctors "Direct NHS employees"a good thing? Given that currently there's a huge problem with GPs running private practices contracted to the NHS running up massive fees, or have I misunderstood that?

But yeah, extra gently caress him. Saying the NHS is no longer the envy of the world. Wonder why that is. Lets not ponder the reason why or how we could get it back to being that, lets just grab its wallet while its down.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Personally, living just less than 10m from the river when it's 'full up' and spilling over the fields the other side, I have spent 3 days glued to river level graphs, high tide timetables, weather forecasts and shunting stuff in my flat to higher shelves if possible or deciding it can be sacrificed in a flood. Had little mental energy to read about political shenanigans.

There is nothing like the fear of water damage is there. Whether flooding or leaks it's just all-consuming.

In my last place we had what I can only call a basement conservatory - it extended out in front of the bay window above, 75% below ground level, with a translucent plastic roof. Which leaked. I became so hyper attuned to the sound of dripping signalling a leak that most of the time I heard rain I'd end up going round checking there was no ingress. I found it hard to get to sleep when it was raining because it was so noisy on the plastic roof and all I could think of was leaks.

Then one time, during the horrendous rain of either summer 2020 or 2021 (can't remember which) I was on the phone in an adjoining room when I heard a trickle - not dripping, but like the sound of water running. When I went to check, I saw that the drain at the bottom of the back steps had clogged, water had filled up against the glass/PVC back door in the stairwell, and it was streaming in through the seal. Cue having to go out in the worst rain I've probably ever experienced, with bin bags and bricks, trying to create a makeshift flood barrier until I could get the drain unblocked.

I hate being at the mercy of the weather, though where I live now it's wind.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Hell same. I've been properly poo poo up by the high winds after the storms last year because the corner roof tiles blew off and cost us £300 to fix. The frame of the house creaks really badly in any kind of wind, and I get an adrenaline spike whenever it gets really bad, imagining the roof collapsing in or flying off and leaving us screwed.

I think this is just me though, as soon as something breaks or malfunctions I can never really trust it again, I am constantly on edge waiting for it to go again. Especially technology. If I was rich I'd definitely be one of those knobheads who replaces their technology the second it does something weird.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Okay, this is the first time I've seen a photo of Wes streetling.

You can not convince me hes not Kier's lovechild.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Grey Hunter posted:

he sounds like he looks too

it’s a good job the media still ignores most of the labour party

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Nah Piss Streaking is a meat puppet. A soulless automaton designed to do the bidding of whoever bribes him the most.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Gonzo McFee posted:

Nah Piss Streaking is a meat puppet. A soulless automaton designed to do the bidding of whoever bribes him the most.

A politician then.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

he sounds like he looks too

it’s a good job the media still ignores most of the labour party

I wish they didn't and I wish they hammered them more on the corporate donation stuff. So many of my lib friends were shocked about Streeting basically being paid for by private healthcare interests. Welcome to the doomer train everyone, no matter who you vote for, you lose the NHS.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Minor point, but isn't making family doctors "Direct NHS employees"a good thing? Given that currently there's a huge problem with GPs running private practices contracted to the NHS running up massive fees, or have I misunderstood that?

But yeah, extra gently caress him. Saying the NHS is no longer the envy of the world. Wonder why that is. Lets not ponder the reason why or how we could get it back to being that, lets just grab its wallet while its down.

I'll admit I haven't read Streetings proposals in depth but I imagine its part of the framework to force patients into the private health sector - combined with allowing self referrals there's an obvious two track approach developing where you can go to a GP (eventually) who will refer to their NHS employer service and you will be (eventually) treated or you refer yourself to the private provider and pay to discover and resolve your issue. That's similar to what happens now except people pay for their initial diagnosis as well and there's stigma about going to the GP because it's incorporated into the failing public sector more openly. I'd expect GPs to still refer to the independent (private but takes NHS patients) sector in this model but the perception would change.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

There is nothing like the fear of water damage is there. Whether flooding or leaks it's just all-consuming.

Just cleaned out some kitchen cupboards and found that due to their position right up against the uninsulated back wall and near the warm washing machine drain they've managed to get water damage without a single water leak, just from being a perfect condensation trap.

Fortunately it seems like it's only a single shitey piece of fibreboard with no structural role that was already mangled by whoever fitted it way back that has blown.

Still adds "pull that poo poo out and put some wool insulation behind a new panel" to things to do.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

jacksbrat posted:

I wish they didn't and I wish they hammered them more on the corporate donation stuff. So many of my lib friends were shocked about Streeting basically being paid for by private healthcare interests. Welcome to the doomer train everyone, no matter who you vote for, you lose the NHS.

Lol the press spent the last decade screeching in incoherent rage because the people on top of Labour weren't the ones who would take bribes. Ed was cowed and weak but vaguely principled for a politician and Corbyn actually believes all that poo poo about public service.

Wes is the kind of man they love. Obviously corrupt and nakedly right wing. They'll cover for him like he's the new Peter Mandelson and a photo of him snorting dried Adrenal gland powder with Epstein leaked.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

tyical liberal fake news monster pretending like in the real video the holocaust surviver was actually adolf hitler and suella braverman revealed her previously unknown jewish heritage

I don't think Braverman's heritage is previously unknown, nor that it has passed notice among the people who care about such things.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
gotta love how quickly and quietly that donations story died down

like when saville or me too cropped up, it suddenly got a bit real for some folks and then media interest was snuffed out like a candle

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You can replace Wes with Wet fairly easily, let's workshop the rest of the name.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Wet making GBS threads.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Good work everyone, thank you for attending the workshop

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Amazing powers on display here

https://twitter.com/FoodForestNetwk/status/1614470043185647616

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The little pat on the shoulder is amazing lol.

wehrmacht_in_autumn_1941_colourized.mp4

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

He's asking them "What are you blokes thoughts on this mud."

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The shove at the end is incredible

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I want to know what magic shoes the wizard has that give him mud immunity +10

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I thought pigs thrived in mud?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1614555127695785985

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

smellmycheese posted:

I want to know what magic shoes the wizard has that give him mud immunity +10

if you tread lightly and aren't too laden down then depending on the mud you can indeed stay on top sometimes

friar tuck fucks imo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Lmao

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Friar Tuck seems to be wearing large flat shoes while the cops seem to be wearing heeled boots. The pressure applied to the mud from heels is greater than from flat bottomed ones so maybe that's why.

With Benny Hill music applied:

https://twitter.com/f4nt0m3ldb/status/1614602613185708032

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"Can't narc there mate"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

I despise this man beyond my ability to express in words.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Friar Tuck seems to be wearing large flat shoes while the cops seem to be wearing heeled boots. The pressure applied to the mud from heels is greater than from flat bottomed ones so maybe that's why.
Yeah it's all about footwear and how you place/move your feet.

Young and tripping* EV escaped at very least extreme trauma at the hands of some Windsor Angels because the flat soled "Covenanter" boots (basically a Campus boot) I was wearing allowed me to ski at speed through the deep mud that was Glastonbury '85 after I'd inadvertently interrupted their sacking of a café stall by asking them for "two cups of coffee and a cup of tea please".
*I know the peril wasn't just the drugs talking because I met one of them years later who confirmed that some of them genuinely wanted to gently caress me right up. Also when I learned that Hells Angels on the rampage have at least two sober members for threat assessment.

The worst person you know etc. etc.
Tory think tank Bright Blue calls for ‘minimum income’.
Saved from life threatening cognitive dissonance by the BBC's decision to use pictures of comfortably upper middle class types stressing about whether they can have that second skiing holiday to make it clear that they're not thinking of me or my friends.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Perhaps folks can weigh in on something my friends and I disagreed about.

When news outlets, and particularly the BBC in this case, have a headline like "health secretary defends <stupid policy>" do you feel like the wording implies that they were successful? Maybe it's my own view clouding things but it feels like "health secretary attempts to defend <stupid policy>" would be more appropriate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest it is as close to "neutral" language as possible given that "attempts to defend" would imply they have failed.

But that in itself is exemplary of the contemptible refusal to actually acknowledge the reality of anything they report on. Government says a thing, no idea if it's correct, but they said it, and that's all we'll say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
in journalism, I found this essay interesting:

https://twitter.com/joshi/status/1614567710859337728

quote:

“It’s all around us – we’re like: when did all these pop up,” she says, referring to the black and grey blocks of flats that characterise New Islington. “We’re the outsiders now.” In Pollen, we are surrounded by the new people – the ones who have flocked to the 13th coolest neighbourhood in the world (Time Out). They have much fancier-looking baby buggies than her and they live a different kind of life to the older residents – generally renting their homes and often only for a year or two; living far from their families; working in jobs that require laptops and Slack. And the truth is that the two worlds feel almost entirely distinct. 

“It’s like us and these flats,” Louisa told me the first time I met her. “They don’t really mix with the community. They have all got a little dog, they walk the dog, and that’s them.”

quote:

One very noticeable thing about this area is the lack of amenities beyond the lines of New Islington – it’s mostly housing and the youth clubs, cafes and pubs of the past are almost all shut.

“My god we need a veg shop and a normal pub — one with a darts team and a pool table, plus normal pub grub,” one resident told me.

(the Vietnamese groceries and tapas bars probably do not qualify)