Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Maxwell Adams posted:

https://i.imgur.com/5C0pIws.mp4

Let's look at everything Trigun is doing right with CGI.
it's 95% of the way there, but stuff like the jump right at the end is a perfect example of something that just doesn't look good if it's not done really carefully. it's weightless and weird, like they hit the jump button in a mario game. almost every other part of that clip is great, lots of good camera trickery to hide things similar to the aforementioned awkward jump, a more active camera might've helped in that moment like the rest of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Darth Walrus posted:

I know the archer turning his tricked-out bow into an anti-materiel rifle through sheer manly flexing is getting a lot of attention here, but I think we should also talk about the protagonist's shiny new spiked boots, which let him cut a dude in half with a leaping katana slice from the opposite side of a canal.

Really feels like a loving tribute to gory Eighties OVAs.

Best part of the spiked boots (which make you fly and roller skate which is like the opposite of what spiked boots do but whatever) is how gruff macho samurai man started screaming like a hyena on helium.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

galagazombie posted:

Best part of the spiked boots (which make you fly and roller skate which is like the opposite of what spiked boots do but whatever) is how gruff macho samurai man started screaming like a hyena on helium.

he did that the first episode! it made the guy hesitate when he was about to shoot him because he was so fucken scared. this dude has so much yamato spirit

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
What bugs me more about the Trigun thing is he just doesn't look like part of the world? He's way too bright and clean compared to the environment in like 90% of that scene.

Turin Turambar posted:

Fire Hunter was deliciously un-moe.

I know I'm beating the dead horse here, but I don't think you even know what moe is.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Only complaint I'd level at Fire Hunter is the secondary protagonists feel like they were an afterthought in this premiere, and it makes the structure of things more off than they already were with the novelesque narrator giving us worldbuilding and exposition.

The look is just amazing, as much as you could compare it to bygone shows/styles in a way that comes off as a bad thing.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

trigun looks good as hell imo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Darth Walrus posted:

I know the archer turning his tricked-out bow into an anti-materiel rifle through sheer manly flexing is getting a lot of attention here, but I think we should also talk about the protagonist's shiny new spiked boots, which let him cut a dude in half with a leaping katana slice from the opposite side of a canal.

Really feels like a loving tribute to gory Eighties OVAs.

Yeah I love that his secret special move is pop-out golf cleats

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they could have given the jump more weight but it would break up the comedic pacing of the shot. even in the original the joke was that vash's antics are always physically improbable so it doesn't hurt it that much to have one moment where he fully breaks the laws of physics

also the simplicity of the models is just a common part of animation. if vash didn't look bright and easy to make out the action would be impossible to follow. imagine the same shots but without the bright red coat to help your eyes follow his movement, it would be significantly harder to make out what's happening

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Also tbf Vash was always garishly colored compared to almost everything else in Trigun

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Indiana_Krom posted:

I thought the strongest ice mage show was going to be the most boring generic fantasy/isekai magic school show of the season and then the bulk of episode 2 happened where it didn't take itself seriously at all. Even if it does turn into a boring generic fantasy magic school show after that, episode 2 was way more entertaining than shows with the same cookie cutter setting ever manage normally.

(Not that there wasn't competition for boring fantasy/isekai magic school show with the strongest onmyouji reincarnation one also airing this season and absolutely living up to the stereotype.)

Seed Of Evolution season 2 also pivoted into a fantasy/isekai magic school show and that probably has Reincarnation Of The Strongest Exorcist beat.

Counting up the number of fantasy/isekai magic school shows currently airing and Endo & Kobayashi, Iruma and Eminence In Shadow brings the total to at least 6. 7 if you count My Hero Academia but I guess that's more of a scifi school show.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

if there isn't knight sword and peasant it isn't fantasy. if there isn't space nanomachine and the big robot it isn't sci-fi

superhero is its own genre

i got strong opinions about the chance there used to be to walk into a bookstore and have to go to Sci-Fi to get my latest lovely Drizzt book

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Patware posted:

if there isn't knight sword and peasant it isn't fantasy. if there isn't space nanomachine and the big robot it isn't sci-fi

superhero is its own genre

i got strong opinions about the chance there used to be to walk into a bookstore and have to go to Sci-Fi to get my latest lovely Drizzt book

So, what the hell is Warhammer 40K?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sci-fi. See it says psykers, not wizards. Completely different.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Warhammer 40k has the big robot (Titan) and nanomachines (geneseed). It's solidly SF.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

The Colonel posted:

they could have given the jump more weight but it would break up the comedic pacing of the shot. even in the original the joke was that vash's antics are always physically improbable so it doesn't hurt it that much to have one moment where he fully breaks the laws of physics

also the simplicity of the models is just a common part of animation. if vash didn't look bright and easy to make out the action would be impossible to follow. imagine the same shots but without the bright red coat to help your eyes follow his movement, it would be significantly harder to make out what's happening

Sindai posted:

Also tbf Vash was always garishly colored compared to almost everything else in Trigun

The lighting just seems bad in terms of making the coat mesh with backgrounds/surroundings. Specifically in the shots of him running along the roofs, the jump, and running down the stairwell. Not sure if the shade they chose to begin with factors in but all the other parts have shading that mute it while not actually affecting readability because it's still a huge, flowing red coat.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

honestly i'm just glad we're at the point where criticisms of cg anime are about specific shading details now and not just 'it looks like dog trash made by idiots'

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well the majority still is lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

chiasaur11 posted:

So, what the hell is Warhammer 40K?

A huge amount of scifi is space opera which is just fantasy with spaceships and robots. Star Wars was really upfront about it:

General Motti posted:

Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Rebel's hidden... <ack>

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

haypliss posted:

What bugs me more about the Trigun thing is he just doesn't look like part of the world? He's way too bright and clean compared to the environment in like 90% of that scene.

That was my thought, although I wouldn't say it's due to his brightness per se.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Patware posted:

honestly i'm just glad we're at the point where criticisms of cg anime are about specific shading details now and not just 'it looks like dog trash made by idiots'

no it still mostly all looks like trash there's just a handful that are good enough that you can even have a debate about it's artistic merit in the first place. and i guess then there's stuff that makes use of CG or is even entirely CG but it looks good enough to just look like mediocre animation. so it doesn't stand out at all positively or negatively.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

taking general statements as absolutes this morning in the season thread

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Raenir Salazar posted:

What is that one like? Seems like a missed oppurtunity for "I was a TOTAL fraud, but somehow in this world all of my mumbo jumbo actually works!" But Eminence in Shadow seems to actually be running away with that ball?
It is a completely straight "I was betrayed in my past life and reborn in an isekai" revenge/power fantasy but instead of being overpowered in the standard isekai in-world magic the MC remembers his exorcist magic from before along with all his summon contracts which is all way stronger but doesn't show up as measurable in-world magic so people bully him for being useless when he can actually beat them all up if he wanted but he is keeping it secret and then he uses it to save his slave maid from his evil brother etc etc. Just going straight down the garbage isekai checklist.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Seed Of Evolution season 2 also pivoted into a fantasy/isekai magic school show and that probably has Reincarnation Of The Strongest Exorcist beat.

Counting up the number of fantasy/isekai magic school shows currently airing and Endo & Kobayashi, Iruma and Eminence In Shadow brings the total to at least 6. 7 if you count My Hero Academia but I guess that's more of a scifi school show.

Nah, seed of evolution doing school shenanigans is still way less boring/generic/checklist than strongest exorcist just by virtue of the MC's insane harem including a 400 pound pink gorilla transformed into anime girl who pretty much can't say a sentence without the MCs name in it, a glutton horse also transformed into a girl, and I forget what else at this point. And on top of that, now he is a professor at the magic school teaching a group of highschool gang members, it doesn't take itself anywhere near as seriously as the exorcist show does.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A huge amount of scifi is space opera which is just fantasy with spaceships and robots. Star Wars was really upfront about it:

I never understood why people call Star Wars a space opera. They’re zero loving singing in it!

And no, that crappy CG edition bit in Jabba’s Palace doesn’t count. :colbert:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I was only planning on watching a small handful of shows this season but we got three entire SFF shows that don't have video game mechanics crammed into them for zero narrative purposes.

Great Beasts of Ars had a less interesting second episode, and they keep putting in fight scenes when unfortunately the fight scenes are pretty terrible. I might drop it after the third episode, more because I have too much other stuff to watch.

Kaina's CG is ugly but its first episode does an incredible job of selling its weird post-apocalyptic (?) setting, which was too interesting not to keep watching. The Nausicaa comparison is pretty immediate/obvious and I'm curious to see where it goes.

Hikari no Ou also has a cool first episode with an interesting post-apocalyptic setting, and it's non-CG with an art style that looks like it time-travelled from the early 00s. It has Kenji Kawai doing the music and I hadn't even realised Mamoru Oshii is writing it until I checked to see who else is working on it.

https://files.catbox.moe/sf7p7n.webm

I've also checked out Trigun (first episode was good), 80000 Gold (not silly enough to be funny), Ningen Fushin (it's alright and the leads are likeable characters, normally I'd watch it as a time-waster but too much other stuff, again), Campfire Cooking (the MC actually acting like a regular person in fantasy combat situations was pretty novel but the "cooking" part isn't, really, and and now he has a superpowered magical wolf so the stuff I found novel is probably gone), Revenger (I didn't like the gadgets), and Saitou-san (pretty disjointed first episode, seemed like a pretty alright feel-good show despite this, probably dropping it for the same reason as everything else).

I was going to watch Kyouko Suiri s02 originally, but probably not any more.

e; and High Card (actually a pretty great first episode except I totally forgot I'd watched it because too much other stuff).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 15, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Maxwell Adams posted:

I absolutely love Orange's camera work.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This is an amazing bit of work for TV.

Vash, The Humanoid Typhon, should move like a Looney Tunes cartoon because we know his goofy poo poo is calculated to an extent. I think this sold me on the series.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

haypliss posted:

Yeah, he's always lit from an angle that makes his jacket and face look cool. They do have him get brighter and darker based on his environment, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Trigun has got some really good CGI but it still suffers from the same issues that affect every show with CGI backgrounds. It's not an easy task to effectively blend character animation with the environment, and it often ends up with the CGI characters feeling a bit too floaty and not part of the scene geometry. I actually felt that this second episode was a lot stronger than the first in blending the two, and that whole chase scene was part of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

lets look at everything d4dj is doing right with cgi

https://i.imgur.com/dYIH40A.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/bJFjtnG.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/buqLzoy.mp4

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

much better in/spectre this week, they really should have just started the season here

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sanzigen really is one of the best CGI studios for character expressions and visual gags. The Michelle Iron Man suit gag is amazing for example

Also Toei does some great 3D stuff. The recent CGI Precure films have all been visually great

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Did a Magical Revolution thread so we can talk anime, manga, light novel and how great Anis/Euphie are as a couple (also I guess kingdom politics!) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4022011

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Updated OP

quote:

Tensei Oujo to Tensai Reijou no Mahou Kakumei (The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady)
Diomedéa | Shingo Tamaki | Wataru Watari | Comedy, Fantasy, Girls Love | Light Novel | Dec 10, 2023
Despite her supposed ineptitude with regular magic, Princess Anisphia defies the aristocracy's expectations by developing "magicology," a unique magical theory based on memories from her past life. One day, she witnesses the brilliant noblewoman Euphyllia unjustly stripped of her title as the kingdom's next monarch. That's when Anisphia concocts a plan to help Euphyllia regain her good name-which somehow involves them living together and researching magic! Little do these two ladies know, however, that their chance encounter will alter not only their own futures, but those of the kingdom...and the entire world!
PV
Thread

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gonna shout out Mou Ippon's second episode for having a truly great background gag during the lunch scene on the roof.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

AlternateNu posted:

I never understood why people call Star Wars a space opera. They’re zero loving singing in it!
:same:

quote:

And no, that crappy CG edition bit in Jabba’s Palace doesn’t count. :colbert:

:same:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

haypliss posted:

It looks like Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

...and on careful consideration, I might be interested in an actual attempt at blending real actors/scenes with a cgi Vash going full looney tones.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

Maxwell Adams posted:

It's odd because I expected to feel iffy on Trigun because of the CG but, instead, I think it largely looks great but both episodes so far are really weak. It feels like things just happen because the plot demands it versus moments occurring organically or via character choices. Episodes feel like we're just moving from set piece to set piece and skipping a lot of the charm that made the original series so fun. I'll keep watching it because I love Trigun but it feels very weird compared to the charm of Blood Blockade Battlefront and OG Trigun.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1614938271871541248?t=0ABWRoReECyrQj0tojWCUQ&s=19

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Weird that it's getting an anime when the manga felt almost like it had been axed, the ending was so abrupt.

Oh well, it's a good series for the most part, so I'll be interested to see how much of a budget the adaptation gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
If that airdate isn't incorrect and it is this spring, I'm not expecting much