Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I read a rune stone on top of a mountain the other day that said something like: “I can’t shoot an arrow in this place without hitting something that wants to kill me. But from on top of this mountain, I can see a beautiful sunny plain. I will make my new home there!” Got a good laugh out of that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

litany of gulps posted:

I read a rune stone on top of a mountain the other day that said something like: “I can’t shoot an arrow in this place without hitting something that wants to kill me. But from on top of this mountain, I can see a beautiful sunny plain. I will make my new home there!” Got a good laugh out of that one

It's a good one, but for real, the plains are generally a wonderful place to build a house/compound, assuming you have armour that prevents you from being two-shot by deathsquitoes.

Digging a trench is also a great solution to prevent goblins and lox from wrecking your homestead.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I need to figure out a good design for a lox pen. I know I'll be using dirt walls primarily just because they'll smash anything else they detect but I'm not sure how else to keep the fuckers in or ways to make them look pretty.

I'm really planning on making my next plains base look nice at the expense of practicality. Separate forge/workshop buildings from the sleeping hall, long walks to various farming areas, etc.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

I need to figure out a good design for a lox pen. I know I'll be using dirt walls primarily just because they'll smash anything else they detect but I'm not sure how else to keep the fuckers in or ways to make them look pretty.

I'm really planning on making my next plains base look nice at the expense of practicality. Separate forge/workshop buildings from the sleeping hall, long walks to various farming areas, etc.

Do you have the mod PlantEverything? It lets you plant pretty much every bush and shrub in the game at will, so you can do some real landscaping to hide the hideous terrain walls. If you're shooting for a pretty base it'll help you out alot.

I'm not hiding terrain in this example but my house looks so, so much better with some strategically placed bushes:

Or you can make a privacy fence and cover it in ivy:

Keeping the Lox contain is mostly just a matter of fencing. If they're trapped they're trapped. It'll be even easier with fencing so nothing has line of sight on them and they never draw aggro and go berserk.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

A MIRACLE posted:

The worst is getting drive by murked by a deathsquito when you sail a little too close to the plains with a boat full of ore

That sucks so much, I got jacked the other day with a boat load of iron, middle of the day, a ghost popped out from under a half submerged hutch on s swamp coast and killed my boat. I had no arrows but ice on me.

That was when i learned that boat inventory is recoverable at least. This map has almost no iron, the swamps are too narrow.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Do you have the mod PlantEverything? It lets you plant pretty much every bush and shrub in the game at will, so you can do some real landscaping to hide the hideous terrain walls. If you're shooting for a pretty base it'll help you out alot.

I'm not hiding terrain in this example but my house looks so, so much better with some strategically placed bushes:

Or you can make a privacy fence and cover it in ivy:

Keeping the Lox contain is mostly just a matter of fencing. If they're trapped they're trapped. It'll be even easier with fencing so nothing has line of sight on them and they never draw aggro and go berserk.

Holy poo poo this looks cool, man I wish I was as creative with building poo poo in games

I'm starting to play around with mods and the "epic loot" one is funny as heck, I love how people who make mods just put with dumb idea they have in. Kinda wanna learn how to mod myself but just so I can try and come up with more and new doodad stuff like paintings and stuff.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Where do you plug in the Subaru?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I love those lamp posts are those in vanilla

Want to post my giant warehouse

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
edit: wrong thread

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I know there's at least one person in this thread who plays with the Valheim VR mod. It looks like it's broken right now, but when the devs get it working with Mistlands I'm going to check it out with my new headset. How is compatibility with other mods? There's a note that mods that interact with the camera break it, but how is something like Valheim Plus or Equipment and Quick Slots? I love this game, but there are some QoL features I feel are mandatory.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Where do you plug in the Subaru?

Originally I had a cart entrance on the left side of the facade but couldn't make it look right.

A MIRACLE posted:

I love those lamp posts are those in vanilla

Want to post my giant warehouse

Yes they are, keep exploring the Mistlands. Or fire up some devcommands if you're just in it for the looks. I built this house on a multiplayer server so I did the actual construction in vanilla, but I was spawning all the build materials in a side world.

And :justpost: your warehouse!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The cellar has fermenters and I guess can be used for storage, there’s a cool underground area embedded into the hill. then first floor has the forge and workbench stuff. The kitchen spans floor 2 with two hearths. Then the attic has a Dutch gable roof and you can see I’m still trying to figure out dormers on the right there. Had a team supporting me cutting trees and bringing stacks of wood by the cartful haha. Hoping it will get us through to the plains era

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

The cellar has fermenters and I guess can be used for storage, there’s a cool underground area embedded into the hill. then first floor has the forge and workbench stuff. The kitchen spans floor 2 with two hearths. Then the attic has a Dutch gable roof and you can see I’m still trying to figure out dormers on the right there. Had a team supporting me cutting trees and bringing stacks of wood by the cartful haha. Hoping it will get us through to the plains era

Uhhhhh got a daylight shot? Can't see much besides the outline.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Uhhhhh got a daylight shot? Can't see much besides the outline.

sorry I'm dumb. heres some better pics

roof detail

cellar

attic space

kitchen half

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 15, 2023

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

sorry I'm dumb. heres some better pics

roof detail

cellar

attic space

kitchen half

Lookin' good. Just gotta fill it up with stuff now.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah I was thinking portals in the attic? We have a lot of portals

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New development blog, showing some Ashlands concept art

+ new clothes are coming, possibly difficulty options, ability to change your hairstyle and something called Hildir’s Quest

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I wish they would "future proof" worlds a bit more by making unused biomes larger. I don't mind things like "only unexplored areas get the new stuff" but Mistlands areas are a lot smaller on prior biomes and it makes it worse to upgrade. Here, they talk about the Ashlands being a southern continent instead scattered islands and while that can't always be planned, it's pretty clear that they will plan to expand the space the Ashlands take up. Why not just do that now even if it "wasted" space?

Burns
May 10, 2008

They need to add barter npcs or new recipies where we can trade excess materials that have only a few limited uses for new or other items you need. Deer hide, wolf hide come to mind as examples. I used to complain about bone but with Bone Bolts being added all that bone has a purpose and use now.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Burns posted:

They need to add barter npcs or new recipies where we can trade excess materials that have only a few limited uses for new or other items you need. Deer hide, wolf hide come to mind as examples. I used to complain about bone but with Bone Bolts being added all that bone has a purpose and use now.

You can always sacrifice it to Thor for a whole 1 coal per 10 :black101:

I never got why they didn't add a bone broth cooking recipe tho. Seems super obvious.

Lima fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 16, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
They also need to add upgraded versions of the carpets. Have like a super fancy deer rug that costs 100 pelts or something and have it give two comfort.

Seems like a pretty easy layup for these guys.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Speaking of warehouses, here's mine:

4x6 cooking and sleeping area:

8x6 storage and crafting area:

There's 16 alcoves with room for 7 (or 8 if you really want) chests. I've only filled 2 so far.

There's also a 12x6 stone basement, but there's only bench and forge upgrades for now.

Outside view:

Began the world and character with Mistlands. I'm about to kill Bonemass but I detoured into the nearby mountains and cleared two frost caves.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

nice, i like the details on that entrance way

my friends and I have been treating valheim as a commune simulator

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Post Bonemass spoiler?
I noticed the wiki mentioned after defeating Bonemass you can experience invasions with flying enemies, in which you can get bats who will just murder the hell out any tamed boars that aren't enclosed in a barn or something - is this up to date info? We've just got a bunch of boars kinda roaming around our homestead since they kept finding ways to escape confinement. Also, we have one boar that absolutely refuses to leave his spot on the boardwalk by the ocean. Like, seriously, all attempts to move him end with him bolting back to his spot. I'm going to be very sad if something happens to seaboar.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The short answer is yes.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The longer answer is to get building and keep playing Hansel and Gretel.

Since I looked it up a week or two ago, here's a detail about your question. I don't think it needs to be spoilered, but eh... whatever: You have to both kill a bat and Bonemass. The only bats I can recall are in the ice caverns so you should be safe of them at least, but not the other event which is triggered simply by Bonemass being killed once.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So I got around to installing valheimplus on my solo game. If someone joins it do they also need it installed?

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

So I got around to installing valheimplus on my solo game. If someone joins it do they also need it installed?

Yes. Valheimplus will check mod versions and override their settings with the ones on the hosting server.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Myok posted:

Yes. Valheimplus will check mod versions and override their settings with the ones on the hosting server.

Nice, cool. Last thought: who wins in a fight between Lox and the Tar thingies? I'm trying to locate a base site on the plains and there's a tarpit right where I want to live, but I figure if Lox win, I could just put my pen there, maybe with some wolves for assistance, and get constant tar too.

E: It seems lox have zero issue with killing growths. Ok, I think I might settle there and just call it a wallowing mudpit for the lox and just periodically repair the enclosure and make sure to dump a lot of cloudberries there too so they can keep healing/killing. As long as two stay alive at all times I should be good.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 17, 2023

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Typically lox. They usually have herd mates and the combination of three lox and their big aoe ground slam blasts the growths. Fulings have a harder time with growths. A typical night patrol will lose against a tar pit with all its growths but if you train a village over to a pit the numbers will usually overwhelm the pit population.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's worth keeping in mind that, as long as the lox are fighting poo poo, they are going to break whatever objects you placed there and so you won't be able to stop other stuff from spawning either.

I had my chicken coop too close to the loxx for the longest time and it really hosed me. They aggroed from a fulling spawn after breaking their workbench and .Killed my first two chicks pretty much immediately after they hatched. I was out three grand.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 18, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, lox pens should be raised earth or trenches. Nothing else works without pretty close supervision.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
What I've been meaning to do but haven't gotten around to is taking a bunch of lox out of my pen using a saddle and just having them chill out outside the outer walls of my base. You can throw a saddle on them walk them up over your walls and then just take the saddle off I think.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Finally started pushing into the swamp properly, and I mostly feel like I’ve gotten the hang of it. Kindof astonished how quickly I stopped feeling frightened every time I stepped in; now it’s really just a few of the enemies (ugh, wraiths) that I have to take seriously. Abominations are funny, they’d be terrifying except they’re really just too big for the environment and can’t navigate around all the logs and trees effectively.

Cleared out a couple of crypts, sailed back with four stacks of iron, rebuilt my house into a castle, and gave my abomination trophy pride of place on the wall.

My castle is definitely pushing the limits of structural plausibility, but I threw in a few pillars and beams to make myself feel better.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

is there a trick to finding the merchant? we're like 250 days into the game and still havent found him or her

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

is there a trick to finding the merchant? we're like 250 days into the game and still havent found him or her

Sadly no, unless you want to use a 3rd party tool that takes your world seed and tells you where everything is.

Are you actively looking for it? I've spent way too many hours just running through black forests hoping to find it. The reveal distance is 2-3 minimap widths so you don't have to cover every square inch of the continents.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

rjmccall posted:

Finally started pushing into the swamp properly, and I mostly feel like I’ve gotten the hang of it. Kindof astonished how quickly I stopped feeling frightened every time I stepped in; now it’s really just a few of the enemies (ugh, wraiths) that I have to take seriously. Abominations are funny, they’d be terrifying except they’re really just too big for the environment and can’t navigate around all the logs and trees effectively.

Cleared out a couple of crypts, sailed back with four stacks of iron, rebuilt my house into a castle, and gave my abomination trophy pride of place on the wall.

My castle is definitely pushing the limits of structural plausibility, but I threw in a few pillars and beams to make myself feel better.

Yeah the pathfinding in this game is pretty laughable. IMO they should just let Abominations and Stone Golem clip through most things to get to the player.

A MIRACLE posted:

You can plug your seed into the Valheim World Generator and it'll show you the location of anything you want. If that's too spoilery for you, just post your seed in the thread and I can give you a hint instead

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Not really, but it probably shouldn't have taken that long. How much exploring have you done? There's a bunch of possible locations he can spawn for each seed (fixed the first moment you visit one of them), and it'll pop a little icon up on your map when you get even remotely nearby. Potential spawns are generally concentrated in the middle portion of the map just because that's where the Black Forests are.

You can pop your world into the online map viewer somebody made and it'll show you all the potentials.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 18, 2023

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

you can put the seed in the generator and change the overlay to fog before processing it, so you will only see the vague location icons on a complete grey disk

highly recommend that approach after 250d tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

thanks yeah just wanted some chickens for my hobby farm. we've only explored north from our base because its located on the north side of the starting island. lol

edit: we named it helsinki

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 18, 2023