Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

abelwingnut posted:

does vs take a while to ship things? i only placed my first order last week.

they're a small crew, the longest wait for them to get through orders is like 5-7 days. They usually start with Subscribers first then work their way down. Also depends on how many individual orders you do. Like I put in 6 different orders so it'll probably be on the longer side for them to put my box together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, makes sense. i ended up getting a few movies each day and adding them to my first order, so i imagine mine was a bit messier than most.

obviously i'm in no rush. seems like they've got a good little thing going.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They never process any orders until the sale is completely finished, and the FAQ said most orders won’t ship til late January. I placed an order almost every day but I’m not a subscriber, so I don’t expect mine to ship til the first week of February.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Canada stays winning I guess, got my shipping notification today. Hope you all get yours soon too!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

worms butthole guy posted:

ship my schlock vinegar syndrome

I'm fine waiting however long for my VinSyn stuff, I still have unwatched blus from the last VinSyn and Severin sales, and the sale before that, and...

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

abelwingnut posted:

does vs take a while to ship things? i only placed my first order last week.

It's their MO

Also

King Vidiot posted:

I'm fine waiting however long for my VinSyn stuff, I still have unwatched blus from the last VinSyn and Severin sales, and the sale before that, and...

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’ve got a copy of bodies bodies bodies on UHD coming in tomorrow and I’m very excited to return to that one.

Watched the Dragons Forever UHD tonight and it’s a great flick. Super rewatchable and I’m looking forward to checking out all those extras. Now someone license Pedicab Driver for UHD already. That’s what I really really want.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Dragons Forever - worth the blind buy? I see it has three versions of the movie, is one preferred over the others for a first time watch?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tesh posted:

Dragons Forever - worth the blind buy? I see it has three versions of the movie, is one preferred over the others for a first time watch?

The only warning I'd give is that it's obviously a classic Jackie Chan/Sammo Hung flick where the tone is very light and comedic most of the time. As long as you're into that then yea it's definitely blind-buy worthy.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Tesh posted:

I am a blind buy and would say its worth it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Oh poo poo the Universal Monsters Vol. 2 set is on sale for $40.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1613902628278116352

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It seems very surprising that the best version of Black Narcissus available is the 2010 Criterion blu. It’s the kind of flick you would have expected to have a restoration since then.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

surprised to learn the original tron doesn't have a 4k uhd release. not sure how that's possible, but eagerly awaiting that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

It seems very surprising that the best version of Black Narcissus available is the 2010 Criterion blu. It’s the kind of flick you would have expected to have a restoration since then.

My uneducated guess would be that Criterion still has the rights and is planning to do a UHD at some point. They already did The Red Shoes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

abelwingnut posted:

surprised to learn the original tron doesn't have a 4k uhd release. not sure how that's possible, but eagerly awaiting that.

Disney puts out like 3 4k discs a year

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Roth posted:

Disney puts out like 3 half-assed 4k discs a year

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Cool hand luke is so good, going to have to grab that.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

zer0spunk posted:

Cool hand luke is so good, going to have to grab that.

I’m banking on WB giving us more awesome UHDs. I feel like they’ve been the most consistent of the big studios. Really really want the Training Day UHD to be good.

Edit: awesome picture quality that is. Cool Hand Luke could look amaaaazing

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Any of you bought this? Is it just a high end bootleg?

https://kimchidvd.com/en/22236/v.kimchi

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Criterion going to be releasing Triangle of Sadness, Petite Maman, Moonage Daydream and All The Beauty And The Bloodshed :woop:

https://twitter.com/neonrated/status/1614028432614232073?s=20

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1615020544679714819?s=20&t=vHl-OG4EzxXPpsGIBr0jLA

At that price why not

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

As far as I can tell it’s dead now.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Still looks active for me if you can wait a few weeks for delivery

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

morestuff posted:

Still looks active for me if you can wait a few weeks for delivery

Maybe it’s just me, but when I hit checkout it claims it’s not available any longer.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Kimchi dvd sounds familiar.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Showing active for me, just have to wait a couple of weeks. I have been rewarded for my patience.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I bought it earlier last night but I decided to try again to test Jack Bandit's report and yea, if you try to check out it tells you it's no longer available.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That site hasn’t updated its copyright notice since 2014 so might not actually be in service anymore. I haven’t dealt with Asian discs for ages so might not be the case anymore, but even official Hong Kong discs were pretty unpolished in comparison to Korean or Japanese editions, but were always priced nicer.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

That site hasn’t updated its copyright notice since 2014 so might not actually be in service anymore. I haven’t dealt with Asian discs for ages so might not be the case anymore, but even official Hong Kong discs were pretty unpolished in comparison to Korean or Japanese editions, but were always priced nicer.

A shame. I loving love that movie.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/klstudioclassic/status/1614653764794720256?s=46&t=bESK1zuyW5DHZGaRBsPP1w

YEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

gently caress

YES

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hah, surprised but not to find out that’s a Peter Hyams picture. Dude’s movies always punch above their weight

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

And his son John is putting in that work and numbers on the board.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Is there any difference between the Studio Canal 4ks for the Carpenter movies they put out back in 2018 and the ones that Scream Factory has been releasing recently? Someone on a stream I was listening to a few days ago was saying the Scream Factory 4ks are better, which was the first I've heard about that, and I can't find any further confirmation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been saying I want more 90s action on UHD. Give me some Seagal stuff too, I'd definitely buy an Under Siege UHD.

ultraviolence123 posted:

Is there any difference between the Studio Canal 4ks for the Carpenter movies they put out back in 2018 and the ones that Scream Factory has been releasing recently? Someone on a stream I was listening to a few days ago was saying the Scream Factory 4ks are better, which was the first I've heard about that, and I can't find any further confirmation.

Yea I don't have any specific info to cite but everything I remember hearing about those Shout Factory UHDs is that they're pretty much the same as the existing ones, at least in terms of the actual movie. Maybe the person you heard on the stream was talking about packaging and special features?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I got that four-pack with Escape From New York / Fog / They Live / Prince of Darkness on sale and I'm very happy with the PQ. From what I remember it's the same transfer, just light on extras

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1615353677576916993?s=20&t=93jOfSd1dF6KcGwagfIDUg

Red Eye is a banger but I can't imagine it'll benefit too much from the upgrade, might just wait for it to drop under $10

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
first bergman in 4k from criterion in april, hopefully all of them get done, but i'd settle for wild strawberries and persona

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Red Eye is a great example of a really simple script that's perfectly cast and acted. It's a great example of how focusing on plot is so misguided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Also a great example of how major studios were still releasing movies that were under 90 minutes as recently as 2005