Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
this thread is the greatest testament to human ingenuity and industriousness that I could ever imagine

every day you get to read incontrovertible proof that our capability for geoengineering has exceeded even our wildest expectations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

and our capacity to control or reverse!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It's really incredible that the industrial era that set us on this clear path of destruction only started a few hundred years ago and we've managed to literally change the weather and raise sea levels by a foot in some areas since then.

Aren't humans amazing?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

a strange fowl posted:

i am 1/32 finnish and it haunts me

a strange fowl posted:

every time i smell alcohol, i hear the jingling of sleigh bells and my ancestors' ghosts alight on my shoulders like malevolent owls

Keskeltä kumpujen, mullasta maan, isät ylpeinä katsovat poikiaan.

Työttymyys, viina, kirves ja perhe, lumihanki, poliisi, ja viimeinen erhe.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BXSkigN45w

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

i love to lol
i live to lmao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ham Cheeks posted:

this thread makes me sad

i like species that don't go extinct

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

i like species that don't go extinct

The <10% of African elephants that are left are my favourite animal :smugdon:

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Ham Cheeks posted:

this thread makes me sad

i was sad even before i found this thread binch

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

endlessmonotony posted:

Keskeltä kumpujen, mullasta maan, isät ylpeinä katsovat poikiaan.

Työttymyys, viina, kirves ja perhe, lumihanki, poliisi, ja viimeinen erhe.
don't you curse me

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a strange fowl posted:

don't you curse me

Şerefli mektûbunuz ve latîf yazılarınız geldi. Allahü teâlâya hamd olsun! Okuyunca, fakîrlere sevginiz ve bağlılığınız anlaşıldı. Çünki bu sevgi, se’âdetin sermâyesidir. Onlar, Allahü teâlânın celîsleridir, hep Onunla birlikdedirler...

Nasîhatların başı şudur ki, islâmiyyetin sâhibine “aleyhissalâtü vesselâmü vettehıyye” uymak lâzımdır. Resûlullaha uymıyanlar, âhıretde azâbdan kurtulamaz. Bundan sonra, dünyânın süslerine düşkün olmamak, varlığına ve yokluğuna aldırış etmemek lâzımdır. Çünki, Allahü teâlâ dünyâyı sevmez, ona kıymet vermez. Bunun için, kulun dünyâlığı olmakdansa, olmaması dahâ iyidir. Dünyânın kimseye fâide vermediğini ve elden çabuk çıkdığını herkes bilmekde, hattâ görmekdedir. Dünyânın malına, mevkı’ine düşkün olanların, bunlara kavuşmak için uğraşıp da, ânsızın hepsini bırakıp gidenlerin hâlini görerek ibret alınız! Allahü teâlâ, bizi ve sizi, Peygamberlerin en üstününe “aleyhi ve alâ âlihissalâtü vesselâm” uymakla şereflendirsin! Âmîn.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Hexigrammus posted:

Such wonders the modern world holds.

When the rule was coming into effect there was scramble to convert engines to cleaner fuel or put in scrubbers to clean the exhaust before it's released. They use alkaline seawater and God knows what else as the scrubbing agent, then dump the used scrubbing fluid overboard where I'm sure it's doing the marine environment even more good than if the pollutants were simply puked into the atmosphere as of olde.

this is the stupidest thing I’ve read in a long rear end time and I unno I don’t exactly think I had hope but it’s a weird feeling being given like a direct counter example of progress being possible.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hexigrammus posted:

Such wonders the modern world holds.

When the rule was coming into effect there was scramble to convert engines to cleaner fuel or put in scrubbers to clean the exhaust before it's released. They use alkaline seawater and God knows what else as the scrubbing agent, then dump the used scrubbing fluid overboard where I'm sure it's doing the marine environment even more good than if the pollutants were simply puked into the atmosphere as of olde.
Jesus Christ what's even the point of anything this is so dumb

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

It's really incredible that the industrial era that set us on this clear path of destruction only started a few hundred years ago and we've managed to literally change the weather and raise sea levels by a foot in some areas since then.

Aren't humans amazing?

if I didn’t know better I’d say we are one hell of a terraforming machine

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

This week it was announced that for the first time in history there is a drought in the Magallanes region.

So much for my plan of riding this out in the Patagonia, lol.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
But is the biosphere a sandwich?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The biosphere is more like the thin layer of oil and condiment on the fragile skin of the dumpling, wrapped around a hot molten metal core.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

hotrodding earth doing burnouts around the solar system billowing french fry grease, bumper sticker 100% biofuel

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xaris posted:

why

personally i think it's fun to start my day off with a nice cup of coffee, sit down in my computer chair, and read what funny things we're doing that are faster/more damaging than 'expected and what other whacky hijinx we're finding out as we speedrun the anthropocene, then have a hearty chuckle and whimsically lol, and proceed to go about my day exactly the same as the day before. rinse-repeat

we are brothers.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm just glad the biosphere has lasted juuuust long enough for me to be born and enjoy the very height of luxury. And I'm hoping it lasts juuuust long enough for me to continue to do so before I perish

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I mean ideally it would last a bit longer so my kid (lol) can enjoy it to but that would be tacking another 30 years on the best before date

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

What's sadder and more infuriating than the grim topic we discuss here is the various in person responses from people out there, denial and coping and insanity.

"This has happened before"

"We always innovate and build it'll be fine"

"Your life seems good you should be grateful"

"Illuminati/God/aliens won't let that happen"

Or just flat out "you're wrong it's not that bad in fact it's getting better because [x]"

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
watched the lorax with my six year old this morning. kiddo was pretty attentive to the story for once, and made me laugh when the last tree was cut down and he commented “oh he is dumb annnnnnnd bad”

also having the evil corporate boss called a literal dirtbag at the end of the movie was a hoot. feel like that wouldnt pass by the execs today.

SpaceCadetBob has issued a correction as of 18:22 on Jan 15, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

why

personally i think it's fun to start my day off with a nice cup of coffee, sit down in my computer chair, and read what funny things we're doing that are faster/more damaging than 'expected and what other whacky hijinx we're finding out as we speedrun the anthropocene, then have a hearty chuckle and whimsically lol, and proceed to go about my day exactly the same as the day before. rinse-repeat

I have found that reading anything in this forum before bed makes me incredibly stressed and I end up clenching my teeth at night, so enough of that though

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

silicone thrills posted:

Aren't humans amazing?
yes but have you considered

econ thread posted:

idk i'm pretty happy i have modern medicine and antibiotics and poo poo, also electricity

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BRJurgis posted:

What's sadder and more infuriating than the grim topic we discuss here is the various in person responses from people out there, denial and coping and insanity.

"This has happened before"

"We always innovate and build it'll be fine"

"Your life seems good you should be grateful"

"Illuminati/God/aliens won't let that happen"

Or just flat out "you're wrong it's not that bad in fact it's getting better because [x]"

it's been weirdly contentious for me

Anecdotally, Climate Change used to come up pretty irregularly in social settings. Maybe when Obama signed the Paris Accords or something every so often. I'd run into the usual mix of people who are defensive or clueless but now due to a constant stream of disaster, bad weather and noticeable impacts on people's daily lives that weren't there before a lot of people are fuckin mad ...at the person who talks about climate change.

I gave up talking about it entirely because now several people go research weird flat earth tier misunderstandings of science and proudly call me out like it's some kind of rap battle.

"If plymouth rock was where pilgrims landed 400 years ago, why isn't it below the waves? The sea is rising right? :smug:"
"Well they broke the rock several times for souvenirs and moved it twice so I don't really think that's an indication of anything. "
"Then what happened to Florida being under water? huh? Al Gore said it would sink beneath the waves in 2012. I thought the water was rising."
"Uhhhh it's definitely rising? The original timeline was 2100 and we are beating that in speed and frequency."

It's developed into this weirdly regressive set of people who weren't necessarily republicans before this. A liberal geologist I know is sharing facebook memes about greta thunberg forcing people to stop using gas stoves to control them and it isn't ironic.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Anecdotally, Climate Change used to come up pretty irregularly in social settings. Maybe when Obama signed the Paris Accords or something every so often. I'd run into the usual mix of people who are defensive or clueless but now due to a constant stream of disaster, bad weather and noticeable impacts on people's daily lives that weren't there before a lot of people are fuckin mad ...at the person who talks about climate change.

I gave up talking about it entirely because now several people go research weird flat earth tier misunderstandings of science and proudly call me out like it's some kind of rap battle.

"If plymouth rock was where pilgrims landed 400 years ago, why isn't it below the waves? The sea is rising right? :smug:"
"Well they broke the rock several times for souvenirs and moved it twice so I don't really think that's an indication of anything. "
"Then what happened to Florida being under water? huh? Al Gore said it would sink beneath the waves in 2012. I thought the water was rising."
"Uhhhh it's definitely rising? The original timeline was 2100 and we are beating that in speed and frequency."

It's developed into this weirdly regressive set of people who weren't necessarily republicans before this. A liberal geologist I know is sharing facebook memes about greta thunberg forcing people to stop using gas stoves to control them and it isn't ironic.

America is fully embracing its role as the inheritor of the bourgeois will as the 4th Reich OP

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/katiedimartin/status/1614618259797704707?t=r0eOFRXpa2Moqj-njN9cIg&s=19

mystes
May 31, 2006

lol

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Ham Cheeks posted:

this thread makes me sad

that’s healthy, it’s a sad and difficult thing

be critical, pay attention to belief systems’ relationship to suffering/sadness/sorrow, and seek honest peace with truth

i was lucky to grow up in a church that honed in on the part of the passion where jesus yelled from the cross “forgive them, father. they know not what they do”

now, a bunch of zhuangzi and tibetan buddhists, UU, baptists, old church catholics, and areligious make up the silo

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
wrap it up collapsniks

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Wow that's the third time I've heard geologist associated with climate stupidity, had a dude from the "actually its getting better you're wrong" camp smugly quote a geologist as his source. Like blatantly "what do you know, a geologist told me we're fine". Think I know a geologist from back in school gotta ask her why that seems to to a thing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

To be fair if you're a geologist you're probably going to be like "yeah the planet will survive no big deal"

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

my guess is a that a bunch of geologists are employeed in oil exploration

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
geology is a pretty terrible field, it's full of magma chuds

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

working for some sort of resource extraction company is like the only way to make money as a geologist i think so ya that tracks

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

The Voice of Labor posted:

my guess is a that a bunch of geologists are employeed in oil exploration

like, to the point where several generations of colleges entire faculty come from o&g and 95% of all graduates have gone into o&g

the geology 'field' is to oil & gas what the economist field is to finance

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
*dark souls music*
*magma chud rises from the cracked & weeping earth*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

blatman posted:

working for some sort of resource extraction company is like the only way to make money as a geologist i think so ya that tracks

yep, it’s one of the three stools that make up their divisions

science/technical administration, operations/physical logistics, and corporate/legal/finance

their terrifying balance of power has public and private channels by which they can interact, and it’s important to work on those