Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Words exit MP as policy commented on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Probably half the people renting would rather buy if they could, but they can't, so temporary renting near work it is.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Private Speech posted:

Probably half the people renting would rather buy if they could, but they can't, so temporary renting near work it is.

Actually people want the flexibility of getting kicked out of their home for no reason.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

ronya posted:

in journalism, I found this essay interesting:

Thanks, that is a good read.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

EmptyVessel posted:

Yeah it's all about footwear and how you place/move your feet.

Young and tripping* EV escaped at very least extreme trauma at the hands of some Windsor Angels because the flat soled "Covenanter" boots (basically a Campus boot) I was wearing allowed me to ski at speed through the deep mud that was Glastonbury '85 after I'd inadvertently interrupted their sacking of a café stall by asking them for "two cups of coffee and a cup of tea please".
*I know the peril wasn't just the drugs talking because I met one of them years later who confirmed that some of them genuinely wanted to gently caress me right up. Also when I learned that Hells Angels on the rampage have at least two sober members for threat assessment.

The worst person you know etc. etc.
Tory think tank Bright Blue calls for ‘minimum income’.
Saved from life threatening cognitive dissonance by the BBC's decision to use pictures of comfortably upper middle class types stressing about whether they can have that second skiing holiday to make it clear that they're not thinking of me or my friends.

Windsor Outlaws! Had friends in the Angels who had dealings with them - late 70s.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It must be a sore point for them that they'll never commit more crimes than the Windsor in-laws.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

OwlFancier posted:

I would suggest it is as close to "neutral" language as possible given that "attempts to defend" would imply they have failed.

But that in itself is exemplary of the contemptible refusal to actually acknowledge the reality of anything they report on. Government says a thing, no idea if it's correct, but they said it, and that's all we'll say.

"Attempts to defend" also suggests that such awful things need defending in the first place.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

ronya posted:

in journalism, I found this essay interesting:

I used to go through there a lot, I saw all of the flats pop up (well, get erected over many years), I saw rows of council houses go from occupied, to boarded up, to gentrified. My friend's band rehearsed in that mill and had one of their videos shot there too. I volunteered in a primary school there for a couple of years after graduating. I also balked at the 'New Islington' name, it's poncy as gently caress. I still drive through when I'm going to the Chinese supermarket.

I've known lots of people who have lived there and in all cases it's been this:

Private Speech posted:

They work in town, they aren't able to afford to buy, so they rent - and why not near town. These are people who might not be exactly the same as the locals but they're not the enemy. Except influencers. They are the enemy, they do think they're better than the locals. I think a lot of the resentment documented is misdirected and I have also experienced it from the locals when I was at university and living in halls. I was a kid who had arrived to live in something the size of a prison cell that was close enough for me to walk to classes, I didn't know why all the locals hated me as soon as I arrived.

But I'm a oval office who lives in a Barratt development dropped in the middle of a council estate, with more popping up all the time.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Windsor Outlaws! Had friends in the Angels who had dealings with them - late 70s.

Eh, hoping you're not meaning the semi-famous New Forest ambush by Hell's Angels All England on the Windsor Hell's Angels by "dealings with them - late 70s".
* or the less well known arranged one on one axe fights in the New Forest to settle grievances after the former.
E2: to be clear, I am joking.

Guavanaut posted:

It must be a sore point for them that they'll never commit more crimes than the Windsor in-laws.
One of the sore points between the Windsor Angels and All England is that Windsor HA had a black member against international HA rules. So they hold that sliver of the moral high ground over House Windsor.

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 15, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

EmptyVessel posted:

Eh, hoping you're not meaning the semi-famous New Forest ambush by Hell's Angels All England on the Windsor Hell's Angels by "dealings with them - late 70s".
* or the less well known arranged one on one axe fights in the New Forest to settle grievances after the former.
E2: to be clear, I am joking.

One of the sore points between the Windsor Angels and All England is that Windsor HA had a black member against international HA rules. So they hold that sliver of the moral high ground over House Windsor.

Peripheral to that. Some loose connection to that incident.

I remember some prize quotes from one who lived in the same block as my then boyfriend, who said - "We 'ate blacks and we 'ate people who 'ate blacks". So when I said 'What about Jimi Hendrix' who they all liked the response was "Jimi ain't black he's from Bristol". At which point I gave up listening. I have a memory that I was supposed to get everyone tickets to a Wishbone Ash gig because I was the only one with a credit card but I 'forgot' funnily enough.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

"We 'ate blacks and we 'ate people who 'ate blacks".

Is this the radical centrism I have heard so much about?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Is this the radical centrism I have heard so much about?

Keith's people who monitor the UKMT are taking notes

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Felt an inclination to google Wishbone Ash and saw this on their wiki:

"Formed in Torquay, Devon, in 1969, out of the ashes of the trio The Empty Vessels (originally known as The Torinoes)"

Wishbone Ash 1973 - long forgotten rock bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg6zqejXvqI

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Felt an inclination to google Wishbone Ash and saw this on their wiki:

"Formed in Torquay, Devon, in 1969, out of the ashes of the trio The Empty Vessels (originally known as The Torinoes)"

Wishbone Ash 1973 - long forgotten rock bands.

Ha, that's pretty funny and something I did not know.
I still remember Wishbone Ash, never saw them (think you may have the advantage of being a year or two older than me) but liked them well enough. Keep meaning to get my own copy of Argus. The more counter-cultural stuff like Deviants, Pink Fairies, 'awkwind (to name a few) were more my jam.

E; Forgot to add, another of the surprisingly enlightened things about the Windsor HA was that they uniquely allowed some women to be full-patch members rather than only "mamas".

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 15, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
as society and the basic infrastructure of the country fall apart i increasingly find myself wondering what would have happened if corbyn had come along just a bit later

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

EmptyVessel posted:

Ha, that's pretty funny and something I did not know.
I still remember Wishbone Ash, never saw them (think you may have the advantage of being a year or two older than me) but liked them well enough. Keep meaning to get my own copy of Argus. The more counter-cultural stuff like Deviants, Pink Fairies, 'awkwind (to name a few) were more my jam.

E; Forgot to add, another of the surprisingly enlightened things about the Windsor HA was that they uniquely allowed some women to be full-patch members rather than only "mamas".

That's good I had a horrible thought I might be semi-doxxing you LOL

Pink Fairies - I forgot about them. They had an album with a full frontal nude male on it (maybe inner sleeve or something). Can't find it on google now. I had Kings of Oblivion - seen how much that is going for these days! I sold all my albums when I moved abroad for the princely sum of £250 - very proud of my "remarkably small pile of shame" as the dealer who came to fetch said when he went through them. He put Tubular Bells on the shameful pile until I told him side 1 was pressed Tubular bells (V2001) BUT side 2 was pressed Gong Flying Teapot (V2002) so obviously the end run of the first pressing and the start of the second pressing.

This was my favourite track off that one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGAMCtBL67I

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/IndyPolitics/status/1614551024823328768

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Oh, a line of credit.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Man I'm really not up on this new drug slang

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think that's the stuff that they extract from the inner sleeve of nude males.

Jaeluni may know more as she is clearly into drugs music.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Other than aspirins / paracetemol /ibuprofen / omniprazole, my exposure to drugs consists of puffing on a pipe of something or other at 1 party while in 3rd year at uni and snogging a OMG FIRST year in the physics department, and a couple of puffs of puff which did absolutely zero for me and was far less reliable than alcohol which I am now sadly 'allergic' to (gives me tachycardia, extremely elevated blood pressure etc).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 15, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Are people putting their cuntometer readings in their twitter names now?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

what a fkin wanker.

He has no idea what state she was in and how long she'd been going without food before she took that desperate walk. And no doubt when he went without food he wasn't looking after a couple of little kids.

Dunno why I'm yelling into the SA void here. Maybe I should hunt him down on twitter and have a go though I suspect he will have privatised his account temporarily.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Hunt him down, cut him into pieces and feed him to the poor imo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The News: A pensioner had to travel 5 miles sat on a skateboard to get his electricity turned back on after he was left unable to charge his mobility scooter.
A Man, On The Internet: I would have just walked.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/AnnelieseDodds/status/1614670554157424640

:toot:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I've got a £800,000k line of credit I reckon.

Just need to quietly murder a few parents.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Could just be a wind up

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Oh so now they refer to him as a former chancellor.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That's good I had a horrible thought I might be semi-doxxing you LOL

Pink Fairies - I forgot about them. They had an album with a full frontal nude male on it (maybe inner sleeve or something). Can't find it on google now. I had Kings of Oblivion - seen how much that is going for these days! I sold all my albums when I moved abroad for the princely sum of £250 - very proud of my "remarkably small pile of shame" as the dealer who came to fetch said when he went through them. He put Tubular Bells on the shameful pile until I told him side 1 was pressed Tubular bells (V2001) BUT side 2 was pressed Gong Flying Teapot (V2002) so obviously the end run of the first pressing and the start of the second pressing.

This was my favourite track off that one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGAMCtBL67I

Yeah Gilli Smyth rocks, saw her at Glasto' 81. If you are into Gong at all I can solidly endorse the current post-Daevid Allen incarnation (officially appointed by him as successors pre-death) as well worth seeing. I was sceptical but got dragged to see them a few years ago and they deliver in spades.

Can't find that Tubular Gong miss-press on Discogs but that's probably worth loads now, your vinyl dealer got a bargain.
Also can't think which Pink Fairies thing has the full frontal nude, but they weren't shy about playing in the buff. Here & Now (who played behind Daevid Allen as Planet Gong) have a full frontal on one of the centre discs of their first album, the spindle hole is exactly where you think it is. A visual joke later used by Gruppo Sportivo and no doubt others.

Guavanaut posted:

All good music (subjective opinion definitely the key) can alter your state so it's all drugs music imo.
Hawkwind explicitly state on their first album that their intention was to make people trip without any chemical help. (Also, alcohol is a drug so...)

Methinks this arse is lying like a rug.

Salisbury Snape posted:

Hunt him down, cut him into pieces and feed him to the poor imo
+1

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 15, 2023

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

another nail in the coffin, itself comprised entirely of nails

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

EmptyVessel posted:

All good music (subjective opinion definitely the key) can alter your state so it's all drugs music imo.
Hawkwind explicitly state on their first album that their intention was to make people trip without any chemical help. (Also, alcohol is a drug so...)

Actually, I found Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium album was like that. (Ed: Fk me this album is over 30 years old! Unbelievable, saw these guys live in 91 and I was too shy to speak to Lee Dorian but my friend did when we were all sitting together on the floor of the first floor at Astoria). Think my friend is friends with Lee now. Seen them exchanging messages on FB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZkufellkew

Gong/Tubular Bells
I found a post about someone else with the same pressing: https://tubular.net/forums/rare-vinyl-tubular-bells--?act=ST;f=17;t=9226
This was posted 2009, I sold mine in 2007. Who knows, maybe it was the Same One!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 15, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EmptyVessel posted:

(Also, alcohol is a drug so...)
Everyone who says that alcohol is a drink, not a drug, is technically correct (the best kind of correct), but not for the reasons that they think.

Drug originally came from Dutch/Low German for 'dry', as in dried herbs, so presumably alcohol is a wiet.

Then again so is anything you put under your tongue with a dropper and I don't think the courts buy that explanation.

Although although they did fairly recently strike nitrous off of the big "everything is a drug" law on account of it being a common gas.
:thunk:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
you wot mate?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

Everyone who says that alcohol is a drink, not a drug, is technically correct (the best kind of correct), but not for the reasons that they think.

Drug originally came from Dutch/Low German for 'dry', as in dried herbs, so presumably alcohol is a wiet.

Then again so is anything you put under your tongue with a dropper and I don't think the courts buy that explanation.

Although although they did fairly recently strike nitrous off of the big "everything is a drug" law on account of it being a common gas.
:thunk:

https://youtu.be/A9tdcGmBefM

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Actually, I found Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium album was like that. (Ed: Fk me this album is over 30 years old! Unbelievable, saw these guys live in 91 and I was too shy to speak to Lee Dorian but my friend did when we were all sitting together on the floor of the first floor at Astoria). Think my friend is friends with Lee now. Seen them exchanging messages on FB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZkufellkew

Sure I've mentioned this before, but Cathedral was my first ever gig, October 2002, the Cathouse in Glasgow, supported by Electric Wizard. Had left school that year, my friend was in uni & offered me a ticket so I travelled down despite not actually knowing either band. Remember spending a couple of hours in his room in the Strathclyde halls listening to stuff on his computer, & it was very good, obviously. He had a DVD that among other things had the amazing video for Hopkins (Witchfinder General) from The Carnival Bizarre.

It was cool though, Lee was hanging out at the back of the crowd through the entire Electric Wizard set just enjoying it, this when they were still a trio & they could be either the best band in the world or the worst band in the world depending on how hosed up they were, it was amazing.

God, Hopkins still rips, & the video is still hysterical with how corny & cheap it is.

Now I've just remembered the banjo cover of Wizard's Funeralopolis on Youtube & that is so great.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 15, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Alcohol is wet. That's where there are 'dry bars' where you're only allowed to rack up lines of meth.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If alcohol is wet (huge if true) I never want to be dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Oh yay.... they are looking to give the police extra powers to stop disruptive protests 'before they happen', which in itself sounds very pre-crimey, but they are going to make it illegal for many people to strike soon. So any strike, or discussion of taking industrial action, or even a nod in support of people who do speak out could be enough for a 4am boot through your door.

I was going to share a twitter share of the BBC article, but I don't have the energy to vet the people sharing it.

Linky here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64282962