Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

While I do actually really like the post timeskip designs for the most part (:rip: Pre-Timeskip Franky :smith:), the game does come with alternate costumes that put the Strawhats back in their pre-timeskip outfits, which I thought was a nice touch.

does it give chopper his old chunky design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Also you don't need to do any of that. Morrowind is basically a perfect experience already and it's a deeply easy game to boot unless you run into a guy with a skinkblade.

What about the cliff racers?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ymgve posted:

What about the cliff racers?
The annoyance factor is really overstated. The big ones in Skyrim are far worse.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 15, 2023

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

kazil posted:

If the mystery and exploration doesn't grab you, you aren't going to like Outer Wilds :shrug:

I really liked the exploration but the way the game is constructed meant that I couldn't take my time actually exploring and absorbing details and looking through nooks and crannies. Then having to do it all again to "finish" the exploration is real unfun for me.

I'm generally real bad with real time pressure though (as opposed to like, X Com complete in x turns time pressure), so this could just be a me thing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my favorite thing about outer wilds was how when I started I was really careful about landing the ship and using the landing camera and stuff, and by the end I was basically playing Space Jackass

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Phigs posted:

If you're easily frustrated Outer Wilds is not a great game for that IMO.

Seconding this. I pushed myself to finish it and it's definitely one of the most unique experiences I've had in years, but the number of times it had me screaming out loud at my monitor was frankly concerning. It also still had some nasty bugs when I played despite being a year out from launch, one of which permanently reduced my walk speed by something like 70%, I think because I died by hitting terrain at a weird angle.

Fwoderwick posted:

I somehow went through 95% of the game before noticing there was an autopilot you can use when locked on to something. On the off chance you've not noticed it yet, it will generally make traversal between planets simpler, but pootling about on them by ship will still be on you.

I used the autopilot maybe about 16 times over the course of my run, and at least half of those resulted in hilariously catastrophic death by various improbable means. I think my favourite was when it steered me directly into the satellite, a close second is when I set course for the white hole and it got me there but just... didn't bother to slow down at all (there was a similar incident with the comet), and third place goes to when I had just barely broken atmosphere, set course for something directly above me, and the autopilot instead immediately applied full-force retro rockets. That one must have left an impressive crater.

Every time I mention getting killed by the autopilot people immediately respond with "yeah you gotta make sure your target isn't on the other side of the sun, duh" but no, you don't understand, this thing genuinely hates me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's called autopilot not auto goodpilot

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

anilEhilated posted:

The annoyance factor is really overstated. The big ones in Skyrim are far worse.

:hmmyes:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm really digging Like a Dragon so far. The background for Ichiban is interesting and I want to see where it goes, and the combat is fun and dynamic feeling because everybody's always shuffling around while you're deciding what to do. Looks fantastic maxed out in 4k too.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm glad you're vibing with Ichiban, even more than just being the protagonist, he's the heart and soul of the game

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

GrandpaPants posted:

I really liked the exploration but the way the game is constructed meant that I couldn't take my time actually exploring and absorbing details and looking through nooks and crannies. Then having to do it all again to "finish" the exploration is real unfun for me.

I'm generally real bad with real time pressure though (as opposed to like, X Com complete in x turns time pressure), so this could just be a me thing.

Yeah ok, this is a red flag. An exploration game where you need to solve mysteries but also have a strict time limit AND have the do the same thing over and over is sounding like something that will not appeal to me. But I'll give it a bit more of a shot and see.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

You have plenty of time to explore once you adapt to the conceit and learn how to quickly and effectively get to places. Some things are gated behind events to be sure, but the process of change is something to discover and admire on its own.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Gromit posted:

Yeah ok, this is a red flag. An exploration game where you need to solve mysteries but also have a strict time limit AND have the do the same thing over and over is sounding like something that will not appeal to me. But I'll give it a bit more of a shot and see.

Sounds like you are looking for a reason not to like it. If that's the case, just refund it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Black Griffon posted:

You have plenty of time to explore once you adapt to the conceit and learn how to quickly and effectively get to places. Some things are gated behind events to be sure, but the process of change is something to discover and admire on its own.
Yeah, I never really felt pressed for time once I had a clear set of goals.

The DLC is another matter entirely, though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

kazil posted:

Sounds like you are looking for a reason not to like it. If that's the case, just refund it.

It's not an unfair thing to be wary of. We must be fiery in our proselytization of that wonderous game, but temper it with tolerance where necessary.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Black Griffon posted:

It's not an unfair thing to be wary of. We must be fiery in our proselytization of that wonderous game, but temper it with tolerance where necessary.

I get the frustrations, for sure. The spaceship handles oddly and doing things on a timer can be stressful. But it sounds like OP is trying to get us to convince them to keep going with a game they aren't enjoying. If the mystery of the game isn't enough to get past some of the more frustrating mechanics than it just might not be for you.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Seconding this. I pushed myself to finish it and it's definitely one of the most unique experiences I've had in years, but the number of times it had me screaming out loud at my monitor was frankly concerning. It also still had some nasty bugs when I played despite being a year out from launch, one of which permanently reduced my walk speed by something like 70%, I think because I died by hitting terrain at a weird angle.

I used the autopilot maybe about 16 times over the course of my run, and at least half of those resulted in hilariously catastrophic death by various improbable means. I think my favourite was when it steered me directly into the satellite, a close second is when I set course for the white hole and it got me there but just... didn't bother to slow down at all (there was a similar incident with the comet), and third place goes to when I had just barely broken atmosphere, set course for something directly above me, and the autopilot instead immediately applied full-force retro rockets. That one must have left an impressive crater.

Every time I mention getting killed by the autopilot people immediately respond with "yeah you gotta make sure your target isn't on the other side of the sun, duh" but no, you don't understand, this thing genuinely hates me.

Did you try inflating the auto pilot?

https://youtu.be/WMhYl74vw2c

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I decided to reinstall Dragon Age: Inquisition. Whatever mod list I had my last run is lost to the fade. I know I had something that made looting less stressful and I generally enjoy mods like that (I get to satisfy my ADHD collection frenzy but with less clicking). Anyone got some favorite mods? Taking all suggestions, not just looting.

kazil posted:

I get the frustrations, for sure. The spaceship handles oddly and doing things on a timer can be stressful. But it sounds like OP is trying to get us to convince them to keep going with a game they aren't enjoying. If the mystery of the game isn't enough to get past some of the more frustrating mechanics than it just might not be for you.

Yeah I reckon, I still think we can dispel a few more frustrations though.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

anilEhilated posted:

The annoyance from cliff racers comes down to two things: new players that get mobbed by them with a weapon skill that can't hit for poo poo, and mid- to late- game players that are trying to rest but can't because a racer is stuck on geometry somewhere nearby.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

anilEhilated posted:

I think they are called dragons

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gromit posted:

I mean, exploration and mystery+puzzle solving is the entire game. It's best in class, with a story on par with the other greats of this generation. But if none of those sound like a game you're actually interested in playing then with complete sincerity I can honestly say this may not be a game for you.

Elden Ring is a masterpiece but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who hates third person action combat and open world RPG exploration

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Outer Wilds is a deeply soulful experience

But if the concept of being brought to tears by a banjo fills you with horror then STAY AWAY

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There are no games that everyone will love or even like.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Gromit posted:

You shouldn't need to do most things twice, but that is largely up to luck and circumstance. The loop of Find Thing - Get Stuck - Go Elsewhere - Find Answer - Where Was the Thing - Why the gently caress Isn't it Waypointed - Finally Find it Again - Almost Done - Time Runs Out - GOD loving DAMNIT - Have to Wait For Specific Time-Based Event to Try Again - Completed Task Gets a Waypoint Now That it's Useless... is easily my #1 complaint about the game.

#2 is when you figure out one of the more obtuse puzzles but don't execute the solution quite right, get zero feedback, and start looking for other solutions.

It has some unmatched highs, absolutely, but you might have to push through some pronounced lows to get there.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

ultrafilter posted:

There are no games that everyone will love or even like.

Blasphemer

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Also, keep an eye out for shortcuts - there are a few spots where you'll spend 15 minutes working your way into a place and then discover a little crack in a rock leading outside or whatnot so you can jump straight back to where you were on the next loop.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Any cool roguelikes come out in the indie world recently? Like the traditional sort a la Dredmor or Dungeonmans.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Agent355 posted:

Any cool roguelikes come out in the indie world recently? Like the traditional sort a la Dredmor or Dungeonmans.

How out of date are you?

-Caves of Qud is nearing the end of it's Early Access and is absolutely excellent, the only missing content is the final chapter of the quest. It has an overworld/village/item selling system so there's no real time clock, but the setting is outstanding and carries it.
-Cogmind is a very traditional RL with a strict clock, which embraces the gimmick of all gear being breakable/disposable. Top notch production values.
-Rift Wizard is loved by the community even if it leans closer to a puzzle game. The sprites are primitive, but the game is addictive, difficult-in-a-good-way, and very wide.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

GrandpaPants posted:

It's only really the crumbling planet that sucks like that (and it's probably one of the first places you'll go, frustratingly enough) until you find shortcuts, everywhere else you can just rush back to where you were and skip everything. I'm no good with time pressure either and the only place that really got to me was the ending sequence, but if you don't like it you don't like it, I'm not going to convince you otherwise.

I've heard good things about the DLC and just can't do it because of exactly what you've said, though. It's a huge self-contained area to explore and I really can't be bothered.
edit;

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, I never really felt pressed for time once I had a clear set of goals.

The DLC is another matter entirely, though.
Ha, I missed this before I posted and 100% agree.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 16, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

imo the time based constraints actually help Outer Wilds. If you miss a window to do a specific thing, then you go off to fly to some other planet and do some other task, it creates this ad-hoc feeling to the exploration. Sometimes your plans don't all go as you want them, that's the fun of exploring.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The only part of Outer Wilds I didn't like was the teleport thing at the very end that I felt didn't actually follow the rules the game had been teaching you all along.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Anyone here play Roadwarden?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

fit em all up in there posted:

Anyone here play Roadwarden?

Yeah, we all love it. There's also a free demo to try out

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Yeah, we all love it. There's also a free demo to try out

Every time I try to download the demo it crashes Steam, anyone else getting this?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
- Love a game
- "I want more in this niche genre!"
- Look it up on steam
- Congrats, you basically started with the literal best ones on steam. Everything else is not as good.

This happen to anyone else? It's Mech games for me. I played Into the Breach, battletech and MW5 and was like "Boy, I sure hope there are other great mech games on this platform!" :sigh:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, just ask anyone who discovered deckbuilders with StS lol

As for mech games I guess you have, uh, Brigador??? There's also an Armored Core game coming out in a few years. Man, I wish there was even a single turn-based Front Mission on Steam :(

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Azran posted:

Yeah, just ask anyone who discovered deckbuilders with StS lol

As for mech games I guess you have, uh, Brigador??? There's also an Armored Core game coming out in a few years. Man, I wish there was even a single turn-based Front Mission on Steam :(

Armored Core is coming out this year. That sounds like a fast turnaround but they apparently started in 2016

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

new armored core game comes out this year. otherwise yeah, good mech games are a fuckin holy grail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
mechwarrior 5 is not terrible especially when modded

just a little empty. But still fun