Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Rectal Death Adept posted:

"Then what happened to Florida being under water? huh? Al Gore said it would sink beneath the waves in 2012. I thought the water was rising."
"Uhhhh it's definitely rising? The original timeline was 2100 and we are beating that in speed and frequency."

Florida is sinking, that's what king tides are. Many cities have invested in diesel pumps to pump back out the rising waters. Burning more fossil fuels to stave off the effects of climate change. Similar to ski slopes using power to generate snow because it's too warm for natural snow anymore in some areas.

Feels like a metaphor for man's response to climate change. Making things worse in the long term just to maintain some semblance of normalcy in the short term. I have a theory lot of people know how bad it is. They are just hoping they die before the worst of it. But until then they want to be able dine out and enjoy brunch without thinking about how future generations will be turbofucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Marenghi posted:

Florida is sinking, that's what king tides are. Many cities have invested in diesel pumps to pump back out the rising waters. Burning more fossil fuels to stave off the effects of climate change. Similar to ski slopes using power to generate snow because it's too warm for natural snow anymore in some areas.

Feels like a metaphor for man's response to climate change. Making things worse in the long term just to maintain some semblance of normalcy in the short term. I have a theory lot of people know how bad it is. They are just hoping they die before the worst of it. But until then they want to be able dine out and enjoy brunch without thinking about how future generations will be turbofucked.

tbh im pretty sure its this. covids great for them since it gives another thing to studiously ignore in favor of white knuckling normality while also accelerating the process such that their death before collapse is more likely -- win-win!

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1614556730716815361

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

it's been weirdly contentious for me

Anecdotally, Climate Change used to come up pretty irregularly in social settings. Maybe when Obama signed the Paris Accords or something every so often. I'd run into the usual mix of people who are defensive or clueless but now due to a constant stream of disaster, bad weather and noticeable impacts on people's daily lives that weren't there before a lot of people are fuckin mad ...at the person who talks about climate change.

That's what decades of propaganda from various industries and capital do to people who aren't willing to educate themselves and question the system that got us into this mess. Plus the fact that it's become a chud culture war talking point. Gotta own the libs by being aggressively dumb and ignorant.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Unless posted:

yep, it’s one of the three stools that make up their divisions

💩💩💩

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://news.yahoo.com/wyoming-wants-to-phase-out-sales-of-new-e-vs-by-2035-200704042.html

I hope this is somehow fake but I don't have the energy to look into it

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Marenghi posted:

I have a theory lot of people know how bad it is. They are just hoping they die before the worst of it.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

it's been weirdly contentious for me

Anecdotally, Climate Change used to come up pretty irregularly in social settings. Maybe when Obama signed the Paris Accords or something every so often. I'd run into the usual mix of people who are defensive or clueless but now due to a constant stream of disaster, bad weather and noticeable impacts on people's daily lives that weren't there before a lot of people are fuckin mad ...at the person who talks about climate change.

a few years back, whenever climate change would come up in conversation with friends, I made it a point to clarify how dire things were by citing as broadly-accepted sources as possible like Science and Nature and the IPCC. apparently, this behavior led some becoming concerned for my sanity and others to refer to me as a "doomer" behind my back.

sometime in the past 2 years or so, it seems like everyone rapidly shot up to a level of understanding about the climate that leaves little for hope. now whenever climate change comes up, everyone starts nodding and going "yup yup we are so hosed lol" as someone goes off on a tangent about PFAS or whatever.

something is definitely off though, this new level of understanding doesn't seem to have engendered any solidarity with actual climate activists. for the longest time, I was very confused about how, despite the fact that I was seemingly among fellow travelers, I was unable to wash the "doomer" stink off of me. then I realized that there largely is no animus behind their words. when something like PFAS are being discussed, it's how someone discusses a hurricane: unanticipated, tragic, and ultimately inevitable. when the climate is being discussed, it is as a eulogy. you can come together to acknowledge the pain, but then you have to accept it and move on. it is bad form to discuss what we could have done differently to save the deceased while you're at the funeral

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

That's just the transition period between 'nothing is happening' to 'there was nothing we could have done' in real time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

real life is for weather chat not climate chat <-- complete guide to appearing normal

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

nomad2020 posted:

That's just the transition period between 'nothing is happening' to 'there was nothing we could have done' in real time.

Ah, the four stage strategy in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSXIetP5iak

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Wish people were more usocial, I'm an outsider counterculture stereotype but I'd latch onto a wasp and flap my bee wings are hard as possible to protect a colony I believed in.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BRJurgis posted:

Wish people were more usocial, I'm an outsider counterculture stereotype but I'd latch onto a wasp and flap my bee wings are hard as possible to protect a colony I believed in.
You mean "eusocial"?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Talking about climate change is just such a downer on the conversation, like I've just reminded everyone that they're all going to die someday, when they just want to talk about sports or movies or w/e.

Like someone will bring up the crazy weather and I'll eventually say, "we're all just snowflakes in this reverse-avalanche called global warming" and those in the room will somberly nod along and seek out a new, more positive topic.

What else can we do?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

mystes posted:

You mean "eusocial"?

ewwsocial

mystes
May 31, 2006

Awwsocial

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

sadly humans can't be eusocial, we don't have biological castes including a separate reproductive caste

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lux Animus posted:

Talking about climate change is just such a downer on the conversation, like I've just reminded everyone that they're all going to die someday, when they just want to talk about sports or movies or w/e.

Like someone will bring up the crazy weather and I'll eventually say, "we're all just snowflakes in this reverse-avalanche called global warming" and those in the room will somberly nod along and seek out a new, more positive topic.

What else can we do?

You don’t have to try your best at a Sylvia Plath impersonation to talk about climate change, you can have a fun conversation about modeling complexities like which GWP should we use for methane and why, make guesses as to which invasive species will win out first (I think people rank Cardinals lower than they should for this), or if you’ll get to see photos of Sacramento all ARKstormed up before Venice sinks (one can only hope).

Like the fact that we’re all going to die with or without climate change is all the more reason to keep the conversation flowing and have a nice time with your friends.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
shift the conversation to how the sun will swallow the earth in 500m years instead and see where that goes

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

at what stage do we lol lmao etc

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

God Hole posted:

at what stage do we lol lmao etc

The lols and lmaos are present at each stage, but different intensity.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i love turkish because spoken fluently it's beautiful and melodic, but the way it's written is like it's designed so that if a non-speaker tries to read it aloud they sound like an orc

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

polish is slightly less beautiful and melodic, and read aloud makes non-speakers sound like gibbering spirits from the underworld

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Real hurthling! posted:

real life is for weather chat not climate chat <-- complete guide to appearing normal
you can do good in your community by gently preparing your oblivious neighbours for oncoming disaster

Anotherjoe
Sep 20, 2022

a strange fowl posted:

i love turkish because spoken fluently it's beautiful and melodic, but the way it's written is like it's designed so that if a non-speaker tries to read it aloud they sound like an orc

I am learning Turkish. I like how Turkish is phonetic and has regular grammar.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

https://twitter.com/MattsBestTweets/status/1614460848545603585

mystes
May 31, 2006

that's a good way to get your rda of microplastics

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
everybody i know is working as hard as they can to change the climate but when i try to make them sad about it they stop talking to me help what do i do

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Very interesting both the paper and this summary came out to coincide with the world economic forum :tinfoil:

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20230115/Should-we-be-getting-used-to-the-idea-of-eating-insects.aspx

quote:

Should we be getting used to the idea of eating insects?
By Dr. Priyom Bose, Ph.D. Jan 15 2023

Worldwide, edible insects have been consumed for thousands of years. Although insect consumption is rare in western countries, around 2,000 edible species are consumed either as raw or after processing in Asia, Africa, Australia, and Central and South America. A recent Molecules journal study has reviewed the literature on edible insects as a source of bioactive compounds.

Edible Insects and their Nutritional Value

Beetles are the most commonly found insect worldwide, followed by caterpillars, ants, bees, wasps, grasshoppers, dragonflies, flies, and cockroaches. Edible insects are typically rich in fibers, mono- and polyunsaturated fats, and proteins.

The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) considers these insects a potential and cheap nutritional source. Furthermore, as a potential substitute for meat and animal products, edible insects could benefit the environment and ecology. Compared to livestock farming, insect farming requires less water and land and reduced greenhouse gas emissions.

The nutritional value of edible insects varies significantly. Even within the same species, edible insects differ in composition. For instance, the average protein content of three insect species, namely, grasshoppers, crickets, and locusts, belonging to the order Orthoptera, is 61%, with variations ranging from 6 to 77%.

The variations in the protein contents between insects not only result from different species or their developmental stage but also from their differential feeding habits and geographical origins. In addition, using different quantitative methods leads to variation in the estimation of the insects’ nutritional content.

Nutritional composition [%] and energy content [kcal/100 g] of edible insects. Data are reported as average value of dry matter and the error bars indicate the maximum and minimum value determined.

Nutritional composition [%] and energy content [kcal/100 g] of edible insects. Data are reported as average value of dry matter and the error bars indicate the maximum and minimum value determined.

Edible Insects- a Rich Source of Bioactive Metabolites

Certain insects are utilized in traditional Oriental medicine to cure cough, fever, gastritis, asthma, diabetes, rheumatism, and arthritis. In addition to the well-established pharmacological properties of insects, scientists have explored other benefits of insects to humans. Notably, edible insects have been found to be a rich source of bioactive compounds, such as flavonoids and phenols. These bioactive compounds possess anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antimicrobial, insulin regulators, anticancer, and glycaemic inhibiting properties.

A recent in vitro study demonstrated a robust antioxidant effect of polyphenolic compounds extracted from house crickets (Acheta domesticus), dark black chafer beetles (Holotrichia parallel), and mealworms (Tenebrio molitor). This finding was validated via an in vivo experiment, where mice treated with insect tea exhibited elevated levels of superoxide dismutase, glutathione activities, and glutathione peroxidase and reduced levels of nitric oxide and malonaldehyde activities compared to the control group (mice treated with vegetal tea).

Biological Activities of Polyphenols Derived from Insects and Insect-rich Foods

Polyphenols extracted from the edible insect Polyrhachis vicina, exhibited antioxidant properties, which could be used as pancreatic lipase inhibitors. Also, hydroxytyrosol dimers derived from Brynchoptera rynchopetera were able to block selective cytotoxicity and exhibited significant inhibitory activity on mouse melanoma proliferation.

The methanolic extracts of Antheraea assamensis (muga silkworm) exhibited robust antityrosinase activity. Also, Bombyx mori (silk moth) extracts revealed antigenotoxic activity. Polyphenols derived from edible Macrotermes facilger (termite) revealed antimicrobial and antioxidant activities.

Insect powder can be used as a valuable ingredient to substantiate food deficiencies. For instance, gluten-free bread with 10% cricket powder exhibited a significant increase in nutrient value; specifically, a seven-fold enhancement in protein content was observed. Furthermore, the insect-rich bread increased the total polyphenolic content compared to the control bread. The total antioxidant capacity before and after digestion also increased substantially without affecting the beneficial or pathogenic microflora.

Interestingly, adding crickets and mealworms to muffin flours revealed an increase in protein content and a decrease in carbohydrate content. The insect-enriched muffin also reduced the glycemic index. The antioxidant capacity and the total phenol content were substantially increased compared to the control muffin prepared using plain flour. The replacement of semolina with buffalo and mealworm powder also enhanced the antioxidant capacity of the bread before and after digestion.

Current Scenario and Future Perspectives of Edible Insects

Scientists have identified several toxicological, biological, and allergenic risks associated with the consumption of edible insects. Edible insects can be infected by microbes, such as yeasts and molds with mycotoxigenic potential, and consumption of this can harm humans. Some crustaceans and arthropods contain tropomyosin, which can trigger allergic reactions in consumers. Therefore, it is imperative for consumers to be careful and well-informed about the insect they are consuming.

The lack of proper guidelines that ensure high-quality edible insects enhances the general mistrust among reluctant consumers. Globally, standardized rules and regulations must be developed to promote proper production, storage, and consumption of edible insects.

At present, mostly insect phenolics and their role as antioxidants have been studied. Hence, future researchers must focus on other potential biological activities of insect-based metabolites, such as anticancer, antigenotoxic, antityrosinase, anti-inflammatory, and pancreatic lipase inhibitory activities. Identifying different classes of insects that contain high nutrient and polyphenol content should be pursued, which could be immensely beneficial to humans.

Journal reference:

Aiello, D. et al. (2023) Edible Insects an Alternative Nutritional Source of Bioactive Compounds: A Review. Molecules, 28(2):699. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules28020699, https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/28/2/699

I’ll just stick to lentils thank you

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
There's probably plenty of bug in the lentils anyway.

Land bugs arent any different than sea bugs so im like whatever, ill eat it if it tastes good and its healthy. WHATEVER.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
wake me when they start publishing papers about the nutritional value of eating your grandparents

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

BRJurgis posted:

What's sadder and more infuriating than the grim topic we discuss here is the various in person responses from people out there, denial and coping and insanity.

"This has happened before"

"We always innovate and build it'll be fine"

"Your life seems good you should be grateful"

"Illuminati/God/aliens won't let that happen"

Or just flat out "you're wrong it's not that bad in fact it's getting better because [x]"

So in the econ thread people are still taking salaries that were "good" 30 years ago as equally good now.

I take this as why people still think teching out of biosphere collapse is still immediately possible. The only generation that will realize, on the whole, how doomed we are now is the zoomers growing up now.

But again...

As doomed as we are now 30 years in the future.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

wake me when they start publishing papers about the nutritional value of eating your grandparents

covid policy is based on the economic value of killing grandparents. as many as possible, as quickly as possible.

hell, cuomo purposefully infected and killed thousands of nursing home residents, and that got less media attention than his scandal with finger banging interns or whatever finally disgraced him.

besides, your grandparents are full of heavy metals and microplastics, don't eat that poo poo.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

silicone thrills posted:

There's probably plenty of bug in the lentils anyway.

Land bugs arent any different than sea bugs so im like whatever, ill eat it if it tastes good and its healthy. WHATEVER.

i've often wondered if cooked grubs would be like pre-shelled crab claws or lobster tails. i dunno why bug eating is focused on things with shells when there's a little meat nugget option.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nomad2020 posted:

Magic technology that doesn't exist yet will save us, which is why I personally consume more energy than a whole steel smelter.

The technology that will actually save us is cantankerous USSR surplus space station life support equipment installed in old disused missile silos that are converted into lovely hotels for the rich & powerful. Once all their freeze dried caviar reserves and champagne vats run out I'm not sure what the plan is. Magic robots that do everything and make more of those, I suppose.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Eating boomers will give you lead poisoning, don't do it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

endlessmonotony posted:

Eating boomers will give you lead poisoning, don't do it.

Their flesh is also 70% crushed up prescription medication bonded together with liquor.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

DancingShade posted:

Their flesh is also 70% crushed up prescription medication bonded together with liquor.

Yeah but it's lovely medication like blood pressure pills and antacids, not the good stuff. Still not worth it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Liquor? They might make a good fuel then, just don't breathe in the fumes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

apparently people decompose more slowly than they used to. i have done little research though, it's not my scene