Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

GolfHole posted:

this guy dan harmon is seemingly always popping up as a creep too

it kind of seems like everybody in entertainment is a sex pest who covers for one another, op

It's on record that Dan Harmon is emotionally abusive and "difficult to work with".

In my own self-pitying boozer days, I loved Harmontown, but part of this negative self-mythologising, "I'm a piece of poo poo" act Harmon does is that it can be about giving yourself license to continue to act that way. "Oh, I got sad drunk and joked too much about killing myself again - ha ha, that's me, the piece of poo poo!"

When I got my poo poo together, I started seeing Harmon a lot differently and find his whole demeanour kind of manipulative. To be fair, I haven't followed him closely in a few years, so if he's sober and looking after himself now, more power to him.

With that said, I don't to my knowledge believe Harmon is anything more than a lovely husband and a lovely boss. Which is lovely, but (perhaps sadly) not criminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Bojack stays winning

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Harmon's actually divorced now but seems to still be on good terms with his wife as she makes the title cards for his company.

He does seem to have got his poo poo together. A few years back there were accusations from one of his co-workers that he'd been lovely to her and making unwanted advances. In response he gave what seemed like a heartfelt apology and desire to make ammends and his victim at least did believe him. We'll never really know the whole truth but I'd like to believe at least one rear end in a top hat can change.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Mokinokaro posted:

Harmon's actually divorced now but seems to still be on good terms with his wife as she makes the title cards for his company.

He does seem to have got his poo poo together. A few years back there were accusations from one of his co-workers that he'd been lovely to her and making unwanted advances. In response he gave what seemed like a heartfelt apology and desire to make ammends and his victim at least did believe him. We'll never really know the whole truth but I'd like to believe at least one rear end in a top hat can change.

Yeah, Megan Ganz, who is really talented. She works on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia now.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Write about what you know I guess.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Does anyone else reckon he springs out the Lemongrab voice whenever he gets into fights?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

frogge posted:

Does anyone else reckon he springs out the Lemongrab voice whenever he gets into fights?
Apparently the meeseks voice is what hapoen d when the writers were having a spirited discussion and Justin hit his blotto limit, put his head down, and just started begging people to shut up.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Disco Pope posted:

It's on record that Dan Harmon is emotionally abusive and "difficult to work with".

In my own self-pitying boozer days, I loved Harmontown, but part of this negative self-mythologising, "I'm a piece of poo poo" act Harmon does is that it can be about giving yourself license to continue to act that way. "Oh, I got sad drunk and joked too much about killing myself again - ha ha, that's me, the piece of poo poo!"

When I got my poo poo together, I started seeing Harmon a lot differently and find his whole demeanour kind of manipulative. To be fair, I haven't followed him closely in a few years, so if he's sober and looking after himself now, more power to him.

With that said, I don't to my knowledge believe Harmon is anything more than a lovely husband and a lovely boss. Which is lovely, but (perhaps sadly) not criminal.

there is probably a reason Harmon's company tag went from him sitting with his wife to him crying alone

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

OldMemes posted:

Yeah, Megan Ganz, who is really talented. She works on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia now.

The same Megan who hosts the podcast? Good for her

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Dude seems like a massive manchild who got rewarded too many times.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

there is probably a reason Harmon's company tag went from him sitting with his wife to him crying alone

It went back to him in bed with a new but different redhead. He likem him some redheads.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Nigmaetcetera posted:

It went back to him in bed with a new but different redhead. He likem him some redheads.

got an uncle like that

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

frogge posted:

I had no idea that was him, drat

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Floodgates are opening. This thread and pretty much her whole timeline compile a shitload of stories. Warning for grooming teens. Like explicitly hitting on girls he knew were underage

https://twitter.com/arlocado/status/1613681697576423424?t=vBISCNWjMxRSLfEKvSGzOw&s=19

No way this blows over now

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Zaslav getting the hardest, most raging boner ever thinking about the insurance write off he's gonna put in motion

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

imagine how difficult it is to come forward as a fan of rick and morty

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
yo that poo poo is whack!

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Chicken Butt posted:

At this point, it’s easier to make a list of famous/powerful men who *aren’t* sex pests.

Uhhhhh Keanu Reeves, Tom Hanks, Barack Obama … and now I’m drawing a blank.

… Patrick Stewart! (Except wasn’t he a little *too* good at playing the “I’ve already seen *everything*” version of himself in “Extras”? …)

Weird Al and Alex Trebek are still clean, thankfully

TK8325 posted:

has seth macfarlane been accused of anything?

He likes young and vulnerable actresses, like the afore-mentioned actress from "Zoey 101," Amanda Bynes, and one of the actresses on "The Orville" who's 19 years younger than him. Plus there was that poo poo with him at the Oscars singing that gross-song about actresses doing nude scenes, and his decades-long obsession with Mila Kunis. I'd be surprised if he's not a sex pest

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Powerful Katrinka posted:

and his decades-long obsession with Mila Kunis

who among us

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

decades-long obsession with Mila Kunis

yeah that freak keeps putting her in the credits of Family Guy wtf

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Private Cumshoe posted:

yeah that freak keeps putting her in the credits of Family Guy wtf

He's specifically said that the reason Meg is such a punch pillow on the show is because Mila Kunis is a beautiful woman and it's funny to see her play someone who gets abused. That wasn't the attitude he had when Eliza Thornberry was voicing Meg. He also used her name as an Apache phrase that he yells out in "A Million Ways to Die in the West"

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

He's specifically said that the reason Meg is such a punch pillow on the show is because Mila Kunis is a beautiful woman and it's funny to see her play someone who gets abused. That wasn't the attitude he had when Eliza Thornberry was voicing Meg. He also used her name as an Apache phrase that he yells out in "A Million Ways to Die in the West"

The chick who voiced Eliza Thornberry is also very hot? She was a mean girl! I think I'm just more confused, that last joke is lame as poo poo tho yeah

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Private Cumshoe posted:

The chick who voiced Eliza Thornberry is also very hot? She was a mean girl! I think I'm just more confused, that last joke is lame as poo poo tho yeah

Lacey Chabert is so hot a prominent American politician got a bunch of plastic poo poo shoved in her face in a very obvious express attempt to look like her

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Private Cumshoe posted:

Mean people aren’t hot. They might appear hot, physically, but they only exist to die in slasher movies after having an orgasm before marriage.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
e

MrQwerty posted:

Lacey Chabert is so hot a prominent American politician got a bunch of plastic poo poo shoved in her face in a very obvious express attempt to look like her

wait which politician??

Chicken Butt posted:

At this point, it’s easier to make a list of famous/powerful men who *aren’t* sex pests.

Uhhhhh Keanu Reeves, Tom Hanks, Barack Obama … and now I’m drawing a blank.

… Patrick Stewart! (Except wasn’t he a little *too* good at playing the “I’ve already seen *everything*” version of himself in “Extras”? …)

Obama is a war crminal since he was a us prez. also if youre tooo online he's something called a succdem or lib.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

PhazonLink posted:

fake edit ^wait which politician??

Lauren Boebert

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

fake edit ^wait which politician??

Lots of politicians murder sexy teens.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I guess Lacey Chabert was 17 when Family Guy first aired so that would probably explain why Seth MacFarlane treated her differently than Mila Kunis

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I think it’s fair to see some of the Rick and Morty creators’ abusive behaviors reflected in the series and to feel unsettled by it now that more scandals have come to light. I certainly do, and I totally understand if it ruins the entire show for some. Makes it easier to boycott at least if that’s your thing.

Personally I already knew about Dan and Justin’s misogyny because I’ve heard how they talk about women, so for me this news mainly uncovers new lows of problems that were always visible. Dan even admitted that his sense of male entitlement affected how he treated the women around him when he made his public apology to the writer he harassed on Community. It would be great if Justin could showcase a similar degree of self-awareness, though I’m not holding my breath.

That sexism of theirs is most evident in early seasons of Rick and Morty before they diversified the writers’ room. Raising Gazorpazorp is the clearest example of it. There’s also notable ableist jokes in various episodes that mirror the sort of demeaning language Dan and Justin would use in the season 1 commentaries.

But, with that being said, acknowledging how an artist’s known flaws manifest in a work is different from assuming that every artist who depicts bad things does so because they are guilty of it themselves, and so I implore everyone not to generalize those who tackle difficult topics in their work.

Even if the framing of an issue is poor, it’s often unwise to take interpretations of art as a straightforward representation of the artist’s views. In general, criticisms can be made about whether a piece of art is in poor taste without jumping to conclusions about the creator with no evidence. In this case we do have some evidence to identify the point of view of a few writers, but sometimes messages are conveyed that the artists don’t intend.

Furthermore, interpretations of art may differ and depend on how much (or how little) fans are reading into the material. For example, I think Rick and Morty’s portrayal of abuse is quite multifaceted. It sometimes shows abusive behaviors for dark comedy, like the scene in the season 3 premiere where both Summer and Rick are yelling at Morty and calling him an idiot, but in the larger narrative Rick’s abuse of Morty IS taken more seriously and framed as cruel and harmful. The characterization of Rick even changes over time (likely on account of the new writers) as he shifts from being an intimidating all-powerful figure to a deeply flawed, emotionally weak person.

Now, is this change in Rick’s character positive or negative in terms of the show’s portrayal of abuse? Is it good because it knocks Rick down a peg and makes him seem less “cool” to the viewer? Or is it bad because it makes the viewer sympathize with a child abuser too much? Is having sympathy for a character who does bad things wrong? Is it perhaps encouraging us to extend our sympathy to real life abusers?

There is no right answer to those questions. It’s all opinion. And the show itself is an amalgamation of a whole team of writers’ imaginations. Not just Dan and Justin’s. So remember that and be comforted by the knowledge that you are free to interpret and appreciate art the way you see fit. If you don’t like what you see and the pain association is too strong, then you may want to drop it and find something else to enjoy. Otherwise, if it helps you or provides you with some fulfillment, treasure that feeling. It is yours.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Private Cumshoe posted:

I guess Lacey Chabert was 17 when Family Guy first aired so that would probably explain why Seth MacFarlane treated her differently than Mila Kunis

Lacey Chabert is a year older than Mila Kunis

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

TK8325 posted:

has seth macfarlane been accused of anything?

hes been accused of being unfunny

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Drawn Together had an episode where they called Bill Cosby a rapist years before he was charged with anything, so if you want a non problematic adult comedy cartoon there you go I guess.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

I had a crush on Lacey Chabert when I was a kid, and I didn’t tell anyone because I thought they would think I was a pedophile. Turns out Lacey Chabert is several years older than me and I was worrying for nothing, turns out being attracted to short chicks is perfectly wholesome.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Weird Al and Alex Trebek are still clean, thankfully

He likes young and vulnerable actresses, like the afore-mentioned actress from "Zoey 101," Amanda Bynes, and one of the actresses on "The Orville" who's 19 years younger than him. Plus there was that poo poo with him at the Oscars singing that gross-song about actresses doing nude scenes, and his decades-long obsession with Mila Kunis. I'd be surprised if he's not a sex pest

There was an episode of some show on FOX, I think it starred Donald Logue, where the parents found out their 17 year old daughter was dating a 30 year old who was played by Seth McFarland. It was a clear attempt to drive viewers to the show by featuring the Family Guy dude, but now I kind of wonder if the showrunners selected that particular episode as his guest star slot for a reason.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Grounded for Life was a funny show

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

a.lo posted:

I think it’s fair to see some of the Rick and Morty creators’ abusive behaviors reflected in the series and to feel unsettled by it now that more scandals have come to light. I certainly do, and I totally understand if it ruins the entire show for some. Makes it easier to boycott at least if that’s your thing.

Personally I already knew about Dan and Justin’s misogyny because I’ve heard how they talk about women, so for me this news mainly uncovers new lows of problems that were always visible. Dan even admitted that his sense of male entitlement affected how he treated the women around him when he made his public apology to the writer he harassed on Community. It would be great if Justin could showcase a similar degree of self-awareness, though I’m not holding my breath.

That sexism of theirs is most evident in early seasons of Rick and Morty before they diversified the writers’ room. Raising Gazorpazorp is the clearest example of it. There’s also notable ableist jokes in various episodes that mirror the sort of demeaning language Dan and Justin would use in the season 1 commentaries.

But, with that being said, acknowledging how an artist’s known flaws manifest in a work is different from assuming that every artist who depicts bad things does so because they are guilty of it themselves, and so I implore everyone not to generalize those who tackle difficult topics in their work.

Even if the framing of an issue is poor, it’s often unwise to take interpretations of art as a straightforward representation of the artist’s views. In general, criticisms can be made about whether a piece of art is in poor taste without jumping to conclusions about the creator with no evidence. In this case we do have some evidence to identify the point of view of a few writers, but sometimes messages are conveyed that the artists don’t intend.

Furthermore, interpretations of art may differ and depend on how much (or how little) fans are reading into the material. For example, I think Rick and Morty’s portrayal of abuse is quite multifaceted. It sometimes shows abusive behaviors for dark comedy, like the scene in the season 3 premiere where both Summer and Rick are yelling at Morty and calling him an idiot, but in the larger narrative Rick’s abuse of Morty IS taken more seriously and framed as cruel and harmful. The characterization of Rick even changes over time (likely on account of the new writers) as he shifts from being an intimidating all-powerful figure to a deeply flawed, emotionally weak person.

Now, is this change in Rick’s character positive or negative in terms of the show’s portrayal of abuse? Is it good because it knocks Rick down a peg and makes him seem less “cool” to the viewer? Or is it bad because it makes the viewer sympathize with a child abuser too much? Is having sympathy for a character who does bad things wrong? Is it perhaps encouraging us to extend our sympathy to real life abusers?

There is no right answer to those questions. It’s all opinion. And the show itself is an amalgamation of a whole team of writers’ imaginations. Not just Dan and Justin’s. So remember that and be comforted by the knowledge that you are free to interpret and appreciate art the way you see fit. If you don’t like what you see and the pain association is too strong, then you may want to drop it and find something else to enjoy. Otherwise, if it helps you or provides you with some fulfillment, treasure that feeling. It is yours.

:five:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

MrQwerty posted:

Lacey Chabert is a year older than Mila Kunis

They voiced Meg at different points in time as well as being born at different times, crazy world

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Private Cumshoe posted:

They voiced Meg at different points in time as well as being born at different times, crazy world

Mila Kunis was also 17 when she started voicing Meg Griffin

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Family Guy had that episode about Quagmire's sister being in an abusive relationship, so if MacFarlane is outed as an abuser people are going to go over that with a fine toothed comb looking for proof that he was an abuser all along. Because there must have been some sort of prior proof in his shows, otherwise it would mean that anyone could be an abuser. And deciding who is and isn't based on the vibes their tv shows give off isn't actually a reliable method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Private Cumshoe posted:

Mila Kunis was 16 or 17 when she started working on "Family Guy"

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

And deciding who is and isn't based on the vibes their tv shows give off isn't actually a reliable method.

What about the vibe they give in general, like talking about how an actress in their employment is gorgeous and thus has never experienced bullying or abuse, so it's funny to make her character go through it?

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 16, 2023