Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

A.o.D. posted:

It's another one of those "the real secret was the industrial process" things.

Yeah, CR2 has Dorchester which is the upgraded Chobham and for us is still a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Someone in the gbs weed thread just turned 30 the other day.

What would be weird is a 20 y/o goon.

In my day you had to actually *poo poo* to shitpost! And every post had a two-slur minimum, by cracky! And they hadda be GOOD ones! It was the style at the time! :corsair:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

my kinda ape posted:

Yeah the gravel road speed limit here is 50mph which is totally fine, except sometimes the county will dump a poo poo ton of fresh gravel on a spot and then 35mph+ becomes straight up perilous. When it's packed down and properly graded you can pretty safely go 60 or 70 in most passenger vehicles. 80mph and you start feeling like you're on the edge of stability IMO. I usually stick to 50ish.

Thats why we invented Rallying

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Omni Air spotted.

https://twitter.com/liz_friden/status/1614791456379572226?s=46&t=aEk6ITA0KueW6nkB-lzIsw

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

(curls into a ball remembering so many extremely boring CAT-B and EML flights on World Airways, and American Trans Air in the early 90s)

Omni Air evidently started in 1993 so I never had the "pleasure" of flying the barely adequate skies with them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
My most recent Omni Air experience was that while there’s zero entertainment, everyone knows that and brings their own.

And they feed you an absurd number of times and amount until you’re just refusing entire meals.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

My most recent Omni Air experience was that while there’s zero entertainment, everyone knows that and brings their own.

And they feed you an absurd number of times and amount until you’re just refusing entire meals.

So it's grandma's house: The Airline.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If they keep feeding you how do you find some calm to sleep through the flight?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

M_Gargantua posted:

If they keep feeding you how do you find some calm to sleep through the flight?

With the Ambien you snag from the battalion PA, duh?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
are we training ukrainians in Oklahoma to insure they don't try to stay

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There are a few 20 year old goons. Pretty sure there aren't any younger than that though.

I wonder who the oldest active goon is. There was a guy in his 70s who used to post his adventures in crafting larger and larger bespoke big game cartridges and rifles for them in TFR, complete with 640x480 pictures, but I think he posts anymore.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

Thats why we invented Rallying drunk farmers

I don’t think you’re actually allowed an open beer in gravel roads here though…

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Imagine goons buying SA accounts for their kids :haw:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wibla posted:

Imagine goons buying SA accounts for their kids :haw:

Already happened at least once.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Midjack posted:

Already happened at least once.

I mean I don't want to throw around the term "bad parent" but...

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
could be worse...could be a bad uncle...or great-cousin...Not that I would know...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"you spent tenbuxx on something awful?!"

"no dad it was fortnite skins"

"oh thank God"

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What's the secret thing about tank armor? It generally seems to be sandwiches of steel / rubber / air, even absent supercomputers for modelling you should be able to send five guys into a field somewhere for a year and have them brute force make test arrays to be shot at and you'd expect them to come up with *something*. Is it just how you get the last 5% performance improvement that's super secret?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

What's the secret thing about tank armor? It generally seems to be sandwiches of steel / rubber / air, even absent supercomputers for modelling you should be able to send five guys into a field somewhere for a year and have them brute force make test arrays to be shot at and you'd expect them to come up with *something*. Is it just how you get the last 5% performance improvement that's super secret?

It's a composite armor, so there's a lot of research and engineering that goes into the materials and then the actual industrial process to produce it.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Metallurgy.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

It's the same deal as all advanced military tech, the fact that the basic principles are things any modern university will have known about for the last 60 years is a very different thing to actually being able to do it, or being able to do it well. Nukes are the high profile example, but high performance jet engines are another one where the ability to actually build one is extremely limited worldwide.

Also when we are talking about cooking up a special blend of high density materials then my limited understanding is that it isn't so much about the last 5% of performance so much as you either do it exactly right and produce a pristine product of magical strength, or you gently caress it up and have something that's basically pottery.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Jimmy Smuts posted:

You know what's fun? Working on a car that uses both Imperial and Metric. I always had to keep two sets of sockets on hand when working on my '80s Firebird. Is this the case with most US military vehicles? I'd imagine HMMWVs are like this since they seem to use a good amount of GM parts.
I wonder if eastern Europe still unofficially uses arshins and other old types of measurement despite being all metric on paper, like Canada and Australia do with Imperial.

My mom had an old Triumph that was a mix of Imperial, Metric, and Whitworth. Huge pain in the rear end to work on.

Kazinsal posted:

There are a few 20 year old goons. Pretty sure there aren't any younger than that though.

I wonder who the oldest active goon is. There was a guy in his 70s who used to post his adventures in crafting larger and larger bespoke big game cartridges and rifles for them in TFR, complete with 640x480 pictures, but I think he posts anymore.

There was a guy (Tokaii I think?) who was a cop in Chicago during the riots in 1968. He had some good stories.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Itchy_Grundle posted:

My mom had an old Triumph that was a mix of Imperial, Metric, and Whitworth. Huge pain in the rear end to work on.

There was a guy (Tokaii I think?) who was a cop in Chicago during the riots in 1968. He had some good stories.

If i remember right he also infiltrated a kkk group back then, was interesting but i think he turned out :aatrek: or similar.

This was years ago and i don't have archives. :shrug:

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Just Another Lurker posted:

i think he turned out :aatrek: or similar.

Yikes. I wasn't aware of that.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm phone posting so I can't check, but if you check SA clubpedia?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

HEY! I resemble(d) that remark!

I only flew Omni twice (once there and back), and while I don't remember the food I do remember the flight attendants were cool as gently caress. It would never fly (no pun intended) with a normal airline, sadly.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 16, 2023

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Itchy_Grundle posted:

If i remember right he also infiltrated a kkk group back then, was interesting but i think he turned out :aatrek: or similar.

SAclopedia: https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2418

quote:

Forums poster Tokaii is the oldest living goon, having been born on July 29, 1942. Tokaii is widely respected for being way more hip than our parents/grandparents. Apart from this, he may be best known for his goldmined thread on being a Chicago cop in the late 1960's:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1588985

quote:

There was a drama bomb in the ArchAge game thread about a member who was a known pedophile, whom the goon guild leaders did not kick out.

Tokaii posted to say that the guy, who was trying to bang a 15 year old girl in Iceland, isn't technically into pedophilia, because that's the age of consent in Iceland. Which may be technically true, but SA is not based in Iceland, so Tokaii was banned for being a pedophile defender.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Godholio posted:

HEY! I resemble(d) that remark!

Most of us did at one point. My 20 year forumsiversary is this July. I took a break and bought a new acct in '11, though.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Most of us did at one point. My 20 year forumsiversary is this July. I took a break and bought a new acct in '11, though.

Holy poo poo I just checked and I've been on here for 20 years as of next month.

Yes, I have grey in my beard,

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

What the other said but all specific attributes of almost anything that can defeat or mitigate a military thing just get classified on general principle.

The specific manufacturing processes and materials and sizing and angle and etc… would all tell an opponent exactly what size penetrator to use at what distance(s) to overcome it making the armor less useful and reducing its value.

Do the Russians have a pretty good idea of Chobam style armors performance? Of course, but they may not have exact data for that package on that tank and that lack of knowledge drives up their R&D costs and impacts their training and preparation.

It’s all a big mind game.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Xakura posted:

... the correct info...

Appreciate the information regarding this. :tipshat:

----------------------------------------

Itchy_Grundle posted:

Holy poo poo I just checked and I've been on here for 20 years as of next month.

Pre-emptive anniversary salutations! :cheersbird:

We're all grey down here.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

God ArchAge and BobFromMarketing just keeps on giving all these years later.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Itchy_Grundle posted:

It’s been a wild ride.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Itchy_Grundle posted:

My account turns 15 this year. If I still had my fb account, it’d be 19 this year :gonk:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Oh yeah his stories of being a cop in the 60s were fascinating, like how many cops with seniority were expected to nap in their cars during shifts. Or when he was infiltrating anti-civil rights groups that went to civil rights marches he noted he was probably the only goon who had thrown a rock towards (intentionally missing)MLK Jr. to maintain his cover.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Diving into SAclopedia is such an interesting reminder of how things have changed around here. Especially any topic that's mostly got comments on it from the 00's

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If you think about it, the $10 I spent on my account in 2009 is worth $13.93 in today’s money, so those kids are getting a bargain.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

If you think about it, the $10 I spent on my account in 2009 is worth $13.93 in today’s money, so those kids are getting a bargain.

That $10 investment directly saved my sanity and possibly my life, so it's a pretty decent ROI when you think about it

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Taerkar posted:

Diving into SAclopedia is such an interesting reminder of how things have changed around here. Especially any topic that's mostly got comments on it from the 00's

I understand and appreciate classics like Groverhaus but never figured out p-p-PowerBook, I get what happened but trying to read the thread from the start it didn’t click why it was legendary. Guess you had to be reading as it happened.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That $10 investment directly saved my sanity and possibly my life, so it's a pretty decent ROI when you think about it

That’s good, I don’t have anything as drastic but it has helped me find many good books and podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I understand and appreciate classics like Groverhaus but never figured out p-p-PowerBook, I get what happened but trying to read the thread from the start it didn’t click why it was legendary. Guess you had to be reading as it happened.

It was amazing to read as it was happening. Probably a series of deadlinked photos now that brings it down.

Groverhaus wasn't as great at the time, then someone found the sesame street grover gif. And someone made this: :grovertoot: