Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Nohearum posted:

Anyone on the front range heard any dryish trail reports before I resort to driving to Pueblo for a ride tomorrow?

Probably too late and it won’t matter in another few hours, but Dakota and the lower parts of Left Hand below five points are riding. I’ve heard that some of the Springs stuff is dry, but I’m not sure what. I know people are riding NTM and Green Mountain, but no idea what those conditions are actually like. Check Strava and use “this week” or “today” in the segments view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Bud Manstrong posted:

Probably too late and it won’t matter in another few hours, but Dakota and the lower parts of Left Hand below five points are riding. I’ve heard that some of the Springs stuff is dry, but I’m not sure what. I know people are riding NTM and Green Mountain, but no idea what those conditions are actually like. Check Strava and use “this week” or “today” in the segments view.

Ended up getting a late start and went to Buffalo Creek instead of Pueblo. Some snow on north facing slopes but all rideable on 2.4's.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Fatbike race Feb 4. I'm gonna show up fatter and slower and more out of shape than usual but it's gonna be fun af.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Anybody have opinions on a 21 Scott genius 960? I'm looking at picking up a bike to give me something else to do besides hiking, dirt bikes, and skiing. I've been looking at used bikes under $2k. Kona process 134/153 also seems to be common in this range. I've seen some older Santa Cruz Bronson's but they're often from 2015-17.

I grew up riding BMX, raced in my teens and rode skatepark/dirt jumps into my 20s. I transitioned to road cycling and racing for a few years but it wasn't my passion and I lost interest after we moved to Seattle. I had an orbea hard tail for a while but didn't have friends who rode so I sold it. I had ridden it a few times but hated any downhill stuff on it and wanted a dual suspension so I sold it. I also ride dirt bikes and figured this would be a great way to spend more time on two wheels.

I'm 38 and not looking to get crazy or kill myself riding anymore. Some jumps are fun but cruising flowy trails is a blast. My brother in law took me riding a few years ago when I visited in park City and had a great time on a borrowed carbon bmc dual suspension.

Verman fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 5, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Verman posted:

Anybody have opinions on a 21 Scott genius 960? I'm looking at picking up a bike to give me something else to do besides hiking, dirt bikes, and skiing. I've been looking at used bikes under $2k. Kona process 134/153 also seems to be common in this range. I've seen some older Santa Cruz Bronson's but they're often from 2015-17.

I grew up riding BMX, raced in my teens and rode skatepark/dirt jumps into my 20s. I transitioned to road cycling and racing for a few years but it wasn't my passion and I lost interest after we moved to Seattle. I had an orbea hard tail for a while but didn't have friends who rode so I sold it. I had ridden it a few times but hated any downhill stuff on it and wanted a dual suspension so I sold it. I also ride dirt bikes and figured this would be a great way to spend more time on two wheels.

I'm 38 and not looking to get crazy or kill myself riding anymore. Some jumps are fun but cruising flowy trails is a blast. My brother in law took me riding a few years ago when I visited in park City and had a great time on a borrowed carbon bmc dual suspension.

That's one of the American brands you basically never see here in Canada but I know they have a good reputation. Under 2k and a 2021 seems a very good deal.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I had a Kona Process 134 for a couple seasons. Nice bike, but the climbing performance leaves a lot to be desired both due to low anti squat and because the actual seat tube angle is quite slack by modern standards. With the seat up your rear end is hanging out almost at the rear hub and it can be quite tricky to keep the front end down on steep climbs. Depending on the exact trim (AL or CR) the stock brakes are a bit poo poo as well, but that can be a relatively cheap upgrade.

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008
I haven't ridden the Scott or the Kona but I just looked up the Scott and looks like new it was only $2,500. I would not want to pay $2k for a 2 year old bike unless it was brand new. Also important to ask about service on the shock and fork because after 2 years, those would both be due and that could be costly. Otherwise, I've been reading a lot on the "all mountain" category the past few months and you would be comparing to the Hightower in the SC lineup, not the Bronson.

https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geometries=5f9f35cf8978f70017a6ce4f,5d1c209663bde8001707dede,

This is the geo comparison between the two with a 2020 hightower. The seat tube angle on the SC is steeper, which is supposed to make it a better climber. The seat itself on the Scott strikes me as pretty high as well and I can't find the dimension on the dropper but it will probably leave a little to be desired.

One other thought... Scott completely redesigned the Genius for 2023 while the Hightower barely changed at all from 2020 to 2023. This tells me the Hightower is closer to the mark based on current trends.

The Scott looks like it will be fine to get into the sport and test the waters if you get a good price... but if you enjoy it a lot you will be looking to upgrade pretty quickly.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Scott bikes are good. I think the 960 is has lower (but not the lowest) component trim, which is where the cost saving is. The proprietary suspension lockout lever is unnecessary but not a deterrent. A friend of mine has a Genius in Squamish and she rips. She has a higher component trim level but still, the core of the bike is the same.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What was the name of that site used for tracking trail info?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Trailforks is the most common one.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

also https://www.mtbproject.com/

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

It depends on where you are. Sometimes MTB project is better, sometimes it's trailforks. Since both are base free, you can check both

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I went out to one earlier today

it was a 4 mile loop but the watch didn't get the location info for the first chunk

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Accidentally went mountain biking for the first time today. Got lulled into a false sense of security by a trail labeled multi use path and turned a blind corner that led straight to hell. I don't know how y'all can do this regularly

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

bofa salesman posted:

Accidentally went mountain biking for the first time today. Got lulled into a false sense of security by a trail labeled multi use path and turned a blind corner that led straight to hell. I don't know how y'all can do this regularly

lol. With the right type of bike it makes it a lot easier. Fun, even. What were you riding?

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

lol. With the right type of bike it makes it a lot easier. Fun, even. What were you riding?

I was on a trek verve 3.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

bofa salesman posted:

Lol I did that once on my Vaya. Planned a road route and saw this random path beside the road so I added it and that's how I rode Blue Highway on a gravel bike with fenders and a pannier rack. It went ok all things considered.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

bofa salesman posted:

I was on a trek verve 3.

Yeeeah that'll do it, from what I can see that's definitely not a bike for MTB!

bofa salesman posted:

I don't know how y'all can do this regularly

As has been mentioned, the right bike definitely helps but the other thing that I love about MTB is the progression. Some trails that a year ago I thought were insane and questioned why anyone would want to ride them, now I ride regularly and have a ton of fun doing it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I always hear the stuff about 'how do you get yourself do to that' when people find out I'm into MTB and yeah I think laypeople just don't see the progression from riding gravel dykes to dirt paths to technical dirt paths to more freeride type things. I don't know why people assume that you just get right into downhill.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Some people clearly didn't spend enough time as kids building sketchy jumps and seeing how many trash cans they can clear.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Verman posted:

Some people clearly didn't spend enough time as kids building sketchy jumps and seeing how many trash cans they can clear.

+1 if you've fallen into the pit more than once

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Verman posted:

I only got into MTB in my early 30's after a decade of riding road bikes. I can definitely tell you that road cycling teaches you basically nothing about bike control! I never did all the teenager stuff (making your own jumps, wheelying all over the place etc.)

Got pulled down probably the gnarlyest downhill trails I've done to date today and didn't kill myself, definitely had a few low-speed prangs though on some extremely steep stuff. About a year ago I bailed at the squirrel catcher at the start of the top trail so pretty stoked to not only do it this time but a black trail at the bottom of it, even though I had to do a bit of tripoding.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Saw on Reddit there's a bunch of stumpjumpers and a couple other spesh MTBs on sale on their website.

I'm salty because I've been eyeing the comp carbon which isn't on sale, but the next more expensive bike in the lineup is now cheaper than it.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 21, 2023

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Suburban Dad posted:

Saw on Reddit there's a bunch of stumpjumpers and a couple other spesh MTBs on sale on their website.

I'm salty because I've been eyeing the comp carbon which isn't on sale, but the next more expensive bike in the lineup is now cheaper than it.

50% off! https://www.specialized.com/us/en/hotwalk-carbon/p/200221?color=322068-200221

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Do uh, they make that in a large?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Kinda crazy that a $1000 balance bike exists.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Kinda crazy that a $1000 balance bike exists.

Crazier that somebody likely bought one too.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

The Stumpjumper Evo Expert at $4725 is a great deal. I bought one when they came out (at full price) and I’m not even upset, I absolutely had $1500 in fun riding it all season. Last mountain bike I’ll probably ever need (lol). Insanely capable.

Last years model has the X01 drivetrain which has been bulletproof for me. Super fast shifting, I may go AXS eventually but it doesn’t seem necessary. So don’t be afraid of picking up last years model either. That battleship gray colorway is awesome.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Was messing around with the derailleur and found out the shifter for these lets you drop 5 gears before it stops, not 3. Always felt like the lever travel was 3 clicks with the chain on.
https://i.imgur.com/aBhvSo2.mp4

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Finally got the 80mm rise Deity Highsides. Feel more in the bike now rather than over it. No issues with feeling like I was gonna tip back on climbs. If anything, climbing was easier.

Edit: Finally looks like a trail bike instead of an XC bike too.

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 28, 2023

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
XC bikes are cool

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Levitate posted:

XC bikes are cool

XC bike are dope.

It just looked little funny to me, a big slack heavy trail bike with a crazy tall seatpost and a slammed cockpit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That's a trials bike don't lie to me I've seen the bars.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

PolishPandaBear posted:

Finally got the 80mm rise Deity Highsides. Feel more in the bike now rather than over it. No issues with feeling like I was gonna tip back on climbs. If anything, climbing was easier.

I put these on as well after somebody ITT posted about them. Haven't gotten much time on them yet but hopefully this spring. Glad they're working for you.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

PolishPandaBear posted:

That's wild, I run 20mm rise on my enduro bike because if I ran higher it's a lot harder to weight the front since my head angle is like 63 degrees.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's so your best buddy can sit up there with his or her feet on the pegs obviously!

I'm just giving you a hard time Polish, glad you found what works for you. I'm going to be installing my idiot suspension DH bars soon and I know I'll be roasted for it so I'm just getting my digs in while I can.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If the bars make you happier on the bike they're awesome bars. Any setup that makes the rider happier is a good setup as long as it's safe and functions properly. Anything else is just haters hating. Ride your bike.

Or don't, because it's currently so cold the government has to warn us it's cold and we might die, the fatbike race next weekend is cancelled, and tbh I'm kinda glad about it because instead of spending 7 hours in a car and hundreds of dollars to freeze my nuts off I'm now just gonna go to a wild party and spend the rest of the weekend recovering from that instead.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I always hear the stuff about 'how do you get yourself do to that' when people find out I'm into MTB and yeah I think laypeople just don't see the progression from riding gravel dykes to dirt paths to technical dirt paths to more freeride type things. I don't know why people assume that you just get right into downhill.
I know literally no one who does world cup type downhill at 40+ lol. poo poo takes waaaay too long to heal nowadays.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Did another ride on Sunday and it really does just feel so much better. Hope you like 'em too Suburban Dad.

And it sounds a little weird, but I think the higher bars are letting me go into a better hinge position with more weight on my feet and more range of motion in my arms. Kinda the opposite of what you said Aphex, but letting me weight the front when I want to instead of just all the time?

VelociBacon posted:

It's so your best buddy can sit up there with his or her feet on the pegs obviously!

I'm just giving you a hard time Polish, glad you found what works for you. I'm going to be installing my idiot suspension DH bars soon and I know I'll be roasted for it so I'm just getting my digs in while I can.

Haha, it's all good. If I chop the seat tube off, it would look exactly like a trials bike. And the only way I can get my girlfriend out to a mountain bike ride is with her on the handlebars!

Sorry you can't ride bikes EvilJoven. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
New Bike Day!!!

(I'm on a mountain, it's a bike, it counts dangit)