Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1614852366196523012?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/TheVolumeSports/status/1614829048693243904/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1614829048693243904&currentTweetUser=TheVolumeSports

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Well it's a shame, but if Dobbins wants Roman and Huntley gone I guess you have to do it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ravens vibes are so hosed.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

So wide receivers don't want to play for the Ravens, running backs don't want to play for the Ravens, Lamar may or may not want to play for the Ravens...feels like something might be wrong here

pizza combos
Feb 23, 2011

MJeff posted:

Ravens vibes are so hosed.

such a lovely hosed up organization.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The ravens are so loving weird. They are clearly not a good team without Lamar, but also they should not even be competitive in games and yet they very much are. Which you'd think would be a credit to the coaching staff... except they seem to call plays by throwing darts at a wall, and have horrific clock management despite a head coach that doesn't call plays and has been a coach for 15 years. Genuinely don't get this team more than any other.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Daniel Jones and Dak Prescott have the same amount of career playoff wins.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Lol Lamar is going to get paid. Maybe not by the Ravens but lol

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
There is literally no situation where it's in your interest to throw a player under the bus so aggressively unless you're worried about losing your job.

"Go low" Where? It was a wall of flesh.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

davecrazy posted:

Daniel Jones and Dak Prescott have the same amount of career playoff wins.

Daniel Jones has more playoff wins than Justin Herbert Jalen Hurts or Kyler Murray.

Daniel Jones has as many playoff wins as Dak Prescott Dashaun Watson or Lamar Jackson.

all these facts also apply to Brock Purdy

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

you follow a blocker and if you don't make it in, oh well, at least you're not holding the ball up asking someone to grab it

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Eifert Posting posted:

There is literally no situation where it's in your interest to throw a player under the bus so aggressively unless you're worried about losing your job.

You seem very agitated given your team just won a playoff game.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

really queer Christmas posted:

The ravens are so loving weird. They are clearly not a good team without Lamar, but also they should not even be competitive in games and yet they very much are. Which you'd think would be a credit to the coaching staff... except they seem to call plays by throwing darts at a wall, and have horrific clock management despite a head coach that doesn't call plays and has been a coach for 15 years. Genuinely don't get this team more than any other.

It's like watching the pre-Harbaugh Niners in a way, except they have a much, much better QB. They've clearly got talent but they just can't put it together in any coherent way.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Injuries are a big part of it. 2 years ago they lost there LT and a bunch of key role players. Last year they lost everyone. This year they lost over 100 combined games of their top two RBs, top two WRs, starting secondary players, starting defensive and offensive lineman and of course Lamar Jackson.

Add to that Greg Roman. He has a famous inability to scheme to his players vs calling whatever looks good on a blackboard. Works much better in the run game than the passing game where players are very often running routes right next to one another. It creates a lot of dysfunction.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Jets just fired a guy who spent four years in SF with Shanahan.

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'll settle for basic competence at this point

Never mind dont hire that jets guy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Injuries are a big part of it. 2 years ago they lost there LT and a bunch of key role players. Last year they lost everyone. This year they lost over 100 combined games of their top two RBs, top two WRs, starting secondary players, starting defensive and offensive lineman and of course Lamar Jackson.

Add to that Greg Roman. He has a famous inability to scheme to his players vs calling whatever looks good on a blackboard. Works much better in the run game than the passing game where players are very often running routes right next to one another. It creates a lot of dysfunction.

I like John Harbaugh as a coach, but something I noticed from my year living in Baltimore reminds me very much of my life as a long-suffering Bears fan, in that Harbaugh has a similar problem to Lovie Smith: Entirely too much loyalty to their assistant coaches, even when it's clear that they aren't working and a change needs to be made. Lovie showed that with Ron Turner, Mike Martz and Mike Tice (to say nothing of Bob Babich and Rod Marinelli). Harbaugh has shown that with guys like Roman and Cam Cameron. (Similarly, it's like how teams stick with guys like Dom Capers and Ed Donatell for entirely too long, even though their schemes and inflexibility were long ago broken apart from even cursory film study.)

Harbaugh's job is safe--didn't he just get extended last year?--but I imagine he's going to have his arm twisted to overhaul the offensive staff.

I don't think Lamar wants to leave Baltimore, but he's only a few years removed from being a league MVP, and after Watson and Rodgers blew up the market for quarterback contracts, he wants to get paid. And I'm pretty sure everyone on the Ravens' sideline saw that Huntley is in no way a decent QB1 option for the team.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Puppy Bowl posted:

You seem very agitated given your team just won a playoff game.

It's lovely to hurl a dude under the bus.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Eifert Posting posted:

Than huntley should of hurled himself under his o line.

:v:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Asproigerosis posted:

I can't believe harbaugh personally fumbled that football at the goaline what a piece of poo poo

I can't believe the refs made him do it.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think Harbaugh's loyalty problem is overstated. He canned Cameron mid-season. He fired Martindale unexpectedly. He fired Marty Morenwhieg for Roman to fully get behind Lamar's style of play. Even with Lamar's recent injuries it's clearly time to move on from Roman. I think he'll pull the trigger.

The bigger problem is the constant rotation of play callers because Harbaugh isn't one himself. If you have Andy Reid or Kyle Shanahan you don't have to worry about the next OC possibly being a poo poo show.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

^Yeah he seems to be cognizant of his special teams background and leave the play calling decisions up to the so called professionals which would normally be a good thing but makes him overly reliant on them

Timby posted:

I like John Harbaugh as a coach, but something I noticed from my year living in Baltimore reminds me very much of my life as a long-suffering Bears fan, in that Harbaugh has a similar problem to Lovie Smith: Entirely too much loyalty to their assistant coaches, even when it's clear that they aren't working and a change needs to be made. Lovie showed that with Ron Turner, Mike Martz and Mike Tice (to say nothing of Bob Babich and Rod Marinelli). Harbaugh has shown that with guys like Roman and Cam Cameron. (Similarly, it's like how teams stick with guys like Dom Capers and Ed Donatell for entirely too long, even though their schemes and inflexibility were long ago broken apart from even cursory film study.)

This has been one of the primary complaints about him, he seems to have no feel for offensive guys and he sticks with guys he likes for way too long or he's too easily persuaded by their arguments that it's actually the players fault.

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 16, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Eifert Posting posted:

Especially since Bettis has been retired for 17 years now.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is there a tldr on what people get so mad about Lamar Jackson for? I tried to look it up but it was mostly incredibly mad white guys on Twitter who say a lot of racist stuff

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Is there a tldr on what people get so mad about Lamar Jackson for? I tried to look it up but it was mostly incredibly mad white guys on Twitter who say a lot of racist stuff

You're going to have to be more specific

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
You got the gist of it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lol good lord

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ignoring on the field reasons, he kinda can't win because he was openly antivax, tweeted "#truss Trump", is very religious and is kind of a dumbass but he's also a black football player

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
not being antivaxx is like a super easy slam dunk 'issue' to not be a total loving dunce on.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Sure. Sadly like 30% of people fail that decency check and a seemingly higher percentage of football players.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Recently a bunch of people have seen him be unwilling to risk his knee with no contract and got super pissy about it. He's like 25 and obviously wasn't about to do that. It's super unreasonable and entitled and probably is a vocal minority thing.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

the new thing is that he didn't fly to Cincinnati with the team this week. I saw a cousin of mine post that that sealed the deal for him and he wants to move on from Lamar now.

people have no idea how bad it is out there in the QB wastelands

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Sure. Sadly like 30% of people fail that decency check and a seemingly higher percentage of football players.

A lot of professional athletes--not just in football--don't have a ton of education, because they were coddled through high school and especially college, getting sinecure educations just because they made poo poo-tons of money for their schools.

I mean, a lot of football players come from economically impoverished communities and they're forced to see themselves as the meal ticket for their families. (A friend of mine from college, her brother, Aaron Brant, who played offensive line and was drafted out of Iowa State by the Bears, was coached into this mentality, and was drafted, and now he has trouble getting down stairs because of all the hits to the head and knees he took during his cup of coffee in the NFL.)

It takes a special kind of person to commit to the ridiculous needs of professional sports. Often that kind of intensity comes at the expense of common sense, especially when you have coaches and agents and whatnot barking at you.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eifert Posting posted:

I don't know, but this was my first thought, it was a wall of flesh that was jumping up to cause what happened. Maybe if the line gets a half second to push and you get pushed from behind you end up in the end zone.

And yeah at the very least you don't completely lose the game on that play.

I don't blame Huntley all that much, just, they were a bit too far out for the flash the ball over the goal line play.

e: I also don't read that initially as a dig at Huntley from Dobbins, he was just saying that play call was wrong? Or previous play calls were wrong, seems like he's throwing Roman under the bus rather than Huntley. At least from that tweet, I haven't seen more information that that.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 16, 2023

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

AndrewP posted:

the new thing is that he didn't fly to Cincinnati with the team this week. I saw a cousin of mine post that that sealed the deal for him and he wants to move on from Lamar now.

people have no idea how bad it is out there in the QB wastelands

That's the major sign to me he's done with Baltimore barring major changes. Such a small thing says a lot about how negotiations are going.

Speaking of sideline presence, Bengals @ Bills is going to have the weirdest energy

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

you plow headfirst into that wall of flesh!

going high can work if you're like ONE INCH from the line, or maybe you're very big and tall like Josh Allen, but neither of those things were true in this case. he was still a half-yard away from the goal line and was basically offering the ball up first come first serve

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sharknado slashfic posted:

Ignoring on the field reasons, he kinda can't win because he was openly antivax, tweeted "#truss Trump", is very religious and is kind of a dumbass but he's also a black football player

you forgot the jetski thing or whatever. or maybe i dreamed that. i dont even know anymore. i took a nap on my couch and had a dream that i was napping on my couch but also my parents daschund scooter jumped up next to my and napped there too. i'm basically bragging at this point.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Ravens' locker room has to be one of the most awkward with as much tension everyone seems to have with one another. Not just Huntley. It seems like I've seen several quotes or social media reactions this year where they seem to be questioning play distribution or the roster composition.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 16, 2023

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ches Neckbeard posted:

That's the major sign to me he's done with Baltimore barring major changes. Such a small thing says a lot about how negotiations are going.

Speaking of sideline presence, Bengals @ Bills is going to have the weirdest energy

Supposedly the Ravens have a policy that injured players don't travel with the team. I didn't go looking very hard so I have no evidence of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The Ravens' locker room has to be one of the most awkward with as much tension everyone seems to have with one another. Not just Huntley. It seems like I've seen several quotes or social media reactions this year where they seem to be questioning play distribution or the roster composition.