Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

The real enemy is pubbies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Brain Curry posted:

The real enemy is pubbies

Always has been

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Is there a list of what guns punch through what enemies and how far?

From tooling around in the Psykhanium it seems like some of the autoguns and lasguns will punch straight through unarmored folks and not flak armored folks

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

kazr posted:

Don't focus on building stacks, that was an issue I had when I started the build. Being immortal is just a bonus you shouldn't rely on. I can almost guarantee your problem is positioning, dodging, blocking, and not abusing the gently caress out of pushing enemies. My go to is push, light attack off the push, then heavy swing. Be a whirlwind of movement and death.

I almost exclusively play with 2 friends though so I don't have to rely on pugs doing the right thing when I'm going balls deep into a ranged pack. I also use the axe and not the knife so maybe that's a factor in my advice.

Paying attention to the icons is honestly the last thing I do, especially since I made my UI tiny so I could get more screen space. My gameplay style for hordes is light attack blender as I strafe around enemies, whittling the horde away at I circle and juke until there's none left, unless heavies come in and I try to heavy attack to proc Haymaker for the insta kills.

Plus I try not to take any damage anyway since I really don't every see my toughness instantly restore like a lot of the build guides in any of the videos. They comment on being able to restore hundreds of toughness instantly when spamming F every 2 seconds, but I just don't see it build that quickly, maybe every 8 to 10 seconds I'll get a recharge on my ult, it still only restores 50% of my toughness bar instead of the whole thing from the wonky way the math works that the guide videos are stating.

I'm any case I'll switch it up and use your specific combo and see how it works.

One thing I never do is use the alt button for the knife, where you just punch someone. Is that attack worth using in any situation?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

The Demilich posted:

One thing I never do is use the alt button for the knife, where you just punch someone. Is that attack worth using in any situation?

IIRC, punch ignores stagger resist (it'll say so in the description) so you can use it to interrupt hard to push enemies like maulers and ragers

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

All punches have crazy stagger you honestly cant go wrong mixing it in

edit: also if you are doing it right the damage you should take on your toughness is very low and then you just keep ulting at 50% toughness

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
slappin' a heretic into the fiery abyss is always a plus

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Jerkface posted:

All punches have crazy stagger you honestly cant go wrong mixing it in

edit: also if you are doing it right the damage you should take on your toughness is very low and then you just keep ulting at 50% toughness

That's what I'm currently relying on to stay topped off when possible. Usually I'll try to hit F around 40% toughness and let the immediate attacks in the aftermath fill the rest of my meter.

I'll definitely mix in some punches and see how it goes though. When I was using the tactical axe I noticed it had great stagger what with shoving the axe head into peeps, so my normal combo was: light light alt rince repeat, mixing pushes until the mix when necessary to get breathing room and better line up my next set of attacks. Even though the tax axe is only slightly slower than the knife, I've become somewhat addicted to the speed of the blade.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

The Demilich posted:

Plus I try not to take any damage anyway
This is pretty much the one big piece of advice for all the Tide games on higher difficulties. If you took damage you screwed up.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

cerebral posted:

It was meant as a macroaggression. I'll try to think up some zealot slurs to make that more clear.

Microaggression is a Bardin slur btw.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

The Demilich posted:

That's what I'm currently relying on to stay topped off when possible. Usually I'll try to hit F around 40% toughness and let the immediate attacks in the aftermath fill the rest of my meter.

I'll definitely mix in some punches and see how it goes though. When I was using the tactical axe I noticed it had great stagger what with shoving the axe head into peeps, so my normal combo was: light light alt rince repeat, mixing pushes until the mix when necessary to get breathing room and better line up my next set of attacks. Even though the tax axe is only slightly slower than the knife, I've become somewhat addicted to the speed of the blade.

If you punch with the knife and follow up with a heavy, it comes out much faster than a normal heavy attack. Can be useful for staggering and headshotting a priority target.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Random thing that struck me on a Chaos Wastes run - the architecture of the Citadel of Eternity looks very 40K-ish in a lot of ways. If it had more techno-stuff lying around bits of it could easily be a Darktide map. I wonder if it was deliberately done as a sort of trial run, or whether 40K was just on their minds when they were making it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've been playing Psyker with a lightning staff with the free Brain Burst on hit every 15 seconds and the 4% chance of a warp charge when the team kills something. I feel pretty good with it, definitely useful to be able to stun ogryns and poxbursters, but I'm a bit curious about going with the flamethrower staff. Has anyone had much luck with that, maybe with the feat to get warp charges when things die from the soulblaze and put out more blaze stacks when you exceed max charges?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've been playing Psyker with a lightning staff with the free Brain Burst on hit every 15 seconds and the 4% chance of a warp charge when the team kills something. I feel pretty good with it, definitely useful to be able to stun ogryns and poxbursters, but I'm a bit curious about going with the flamethrower staff. Has anyone had much luck with that, maybe with the feat to get warp charges when things die from the soulblaze and put out more blaze stacks when you exceed max charges?
Purgatus staff by its lonesome is a fine add-clear weapon. Soulblaze as a mechanic suffers from poor damage and poor damage scaling. Even on 3s, purgatus staffs are going to be killing stuff with the flame wave moreso than the soulblaze ticks.

Also, unlike an actual flamethrower which can stagger opponents and give you a bit of crowd control while you're burning down a crowd, I've had melee enemies shrug off the fire effect and beat the crap out of me while I'm slowly channeling a flame wave at an opponent. If you have someone else running interference for you (your average Ogryn or Zealot), you're helping them do the job they're already doing, and chain stunning every enemy in front of you with a shock staff is more utility for that particular purpose. Finally, you have the downside that it replaces the lmb bolt attack with the small puff of flame, which means you are almost naked to ranged enemies beyond the reach of your fire spell and have to brain burst crap-tier enemies to do anything about volume fire at longer ranges.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hate doing scans with pugs. Nowhere near the scan site, let the grim holder die, then get pounced by two dogs.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

ijyt posted:

Hate doing scans with pugs. Nowhere near the scan site, let the grim holder die, then get pounced by two dogs.

Pugs like to just idle in the same spot for half a hour while the endless horde keeps coming without making so much as an effort to go towards the objectives.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The opposite problem is just as bad, where all 3 of them pull out their scanners and scatter to the four winds. I'm increasingly of the opinion one person shouldn't scan and three people defend them.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Mendrian posted:

The opposite problem is just as bad, where all 3 of them pull out their scanners and scatter to the four winds.

As long as everyone is capable of fending for themselves for the 15 seconds it takes to complete the objective when you do this, it owns.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, some people seem to keep the scanner out the entire time while they slow walk towards the object, instead of just getting a general direction in .1 second of looking, running towards it and pulling it back out to scan or see if you overshot it.

disbest
Jun 16, 2005

Pillbug
So far my experience with this has been a swarm showing up right at the start of the objective, and somehow they all come for me and 1 other person. After 5 minutes of holding a corner the objective completes because the rest of the team hosed off to do the objective rather than finishing off the swarm. Then everyone else continues to the next objective site because somehow they don't see any enemies at all.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The swarm is endless, just keep shoving and slicing forward towards the objectives and then hunker down.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Serious server issues today. Two games with people randomly disconnecting or nonresponse from our games. Last game I loaded into was fine for my friend but suddenly I was fighting in slow mo and lagging all over.

Guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

disbest posted:

So far my experience with this has been a swarm showing up right at the start of the objective, and somehow they all come for me and 1 other person. After 5 minutes of holding a corner the objective completes because the rest of the team hosed off to do the objective rather than finishing off the swarm. Then everyone else continues to the next objective site because somehow they don't see any enemies at all.

You can scan just fine with a bunch of enemies on you. Whip out the scanner for a split second occasionally to see where to go and kill/push stuff while moving in that direction. Failing that, at least follow the people doing the objective. Sitting in a corner killing literally endless enemies is pretty much the worst thing you can do.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

The craziest thing about using the shop plugin to check the armory is actually seeing just how lovely the shop is. Being able to check 4x shops per hour with filters on and there being on average less than 1 item > 360 or with a blessing you want is crazy.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Re:scanning, once you know there are only certain objects that are scannable it also makes hunting for them much easier.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jerkface posted:

The craziest thing about using the shop plugin to check the armory is actually seeing just how lovely the shop is. Being able to check 4x shops per hour with filters on and there being on average less than 1 item > 360 or with a blessing you want is crazy.

That's just the nature of RNG though. Like assuming Fatshark did the crazy thing of a true random RNG then weird poo poo is gonna happen and you're gonna attribute it to some assumed weird algorithm that is tuned to be poo poo thanks to cognitive bias.

When in reality, it's just totally random and that's just how true random poo poo works. It's random lol. This of course assumes Fatshark decided true random was totes fine and makes use of it other some sort of curated or algorithmic shop experience. I imagine the former is less effort though, may be wrong of course!

Fun fact: Spotify's shuffle feature used to be true random, but people complained so much about how random true random is (streaks of the same songs, never hearing certain songs, etc) that Spotify had to modify their shuffle to not be true random lol. That's cognitive bias bab-y!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Ye its RNG and im complaining about it because it sucks. Ive had that plugin since the guy posted it on Reddit and have had 4 level 30 characters for most of it. Theres no secret algorithm that im misattributing this too, I'm pretty sure its just one of the worst implemented rng shops in the history of gaming.

Allowing values from like 290 to 380 to populate and im pretty sure high level stuff is more rare lends to an incrediblely bad experience.

Being able to see the shops without logging in and filtered for only what matters really reveals how bad a shop it is.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

If only you understood how RNG worked, you would love it

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jerkface posted:

Ye its RNG and im complaining about it because it sucks. Ive had that plugin since the guy posted it on Reddit and have had 4 level 30 characters for most of it. Theres no secret algorithm that im misattributing this too, I'm pretty sure its just one of the worst implemented rng shops in the history of gaming.

Allowing values from like 290 to 380 to populate and im pretty sure high level stuff is more rare lends to an incrediblely bad experience.

Being able to see the shops without logging in and filtered for only what matters really reveals how bad a shop it is.

It definitely sucks as a shop and is certainly not helped by the fact the factors that are supposed to mitigate the issue are still not implemented (crafting!!!) yet.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Hell naw that's not what I said or intended at all lol. True random sucks and any sane person would be telling you it's much better to have some kind of RNG protection in or a curated algorithm to make a smoother experience.

Fatshark pls

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

big cummers ONLY posted:

I play warhammer just to get around RNG

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The planned crafting stuff will help a bit but we really need a way to get more weapons of the type we want. I don't know if fatshark will ever do something about it becausre apparently just crafting or buying the weapon you want doesn't fit wh40k. Hopefully that's a fatshark thing and not coming from GW.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Gimme a loving two handed chainaxe

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
At this point it would be pretty disappointing if they released the final crafting bits unchanged from what they announced, will be a lot of "it took months just to finish adding this? what took so long?"

Bonus points if it's still horribly bugged and barely usable on release or has to be disabled after the patch.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I'm really worried about the blessing thing given their method for perks, like what if you can only upgrade existing blessings or can only modify one? like i have a bolter that has rending 1, and then a garbo blessing. i want to upgrade rending to 4 and replace the garbo one. i hope i can 😠

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

At this point it would be pretty disappointing if they released the final crafting bits unchanged from what they announced, will be a lot of "it took months just to finish adding this? what took so long?"

Bonus points if it's still horribly bugged and barely usable on release or has to be disabled after the patch.

I mean from what I've heard a while back they completely scrapped their old crafting system after the first closed beta released, which was, what, 6-ish months ago? And only 4-ish months from release.

About that amount of dev time seems about right honestly if they were rebuilding it from scratch.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't know why they won't just start with one of their old systems that worked fine, maybe touch it up a bit for a new release and work from there, why do they always reinvent everything when they are so terrible at testing these things.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I've no idea really. This game really could've done with even an extra half year of development.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
They probably wanted a lot of weapon stats to be tied to the modification system they scrapped

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Wasn't the weapon mark system just them building a few profiles of things you might do with weapon mods because implementing a fully functioning thing wasn't going to meet deadlines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Wasn't the weapon mark system just them building a few profiles of things you might do with weapon mods because implementing a fully functioning thing wasn't going to meet deadlines

This would track given how intricate the model parts are in the code.

It's a real shame they didn't have the time to fully implement that.