Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

someone could be a fantastic player, be making all the right decisions much better than their teammates, and have a negative KD b/c of variance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
You know something that's really been striking me is that sojourn's hitbox is loving crazy small for a character with the damage output that she has and the movement ability. She's broken in so many ways and they just refuse to admit it. I'm sure she'll get another tiny adjustment that isn't really a nerf down the track.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i mean according to blizz assuming they weren't misinterpreting their stats, pre-nerf sojourn was a losing character until you got to the top of the ladder where she was good

players have a decent pavlovlian response to soldier ult and mccree ult to scramble like roaches to cover and not give unnecessary line of sight. but for w/e reason, players will give an enemy sojourn's terribly timed ult as many 1-shot opportunities as possible and not even make any effort making you line of sighting the sojourn to deny her a bad play lol.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

comedyblissoption posted:

someone could be a fantastic player, be making all the right decisions much better than their teammates, and have a negative KD b/c of variance

I mean I suppose? Sometimes you do everything right and you get one-shot, oh well. But (particularly in regards to DPS) the overwhelming majority of the time the dude dying twice as much as anyone else is doing so for some combination of:

--running in 1v5 before the fight starts and getting insta-owned
--running in 1v5 after the fight ends and getting insta-owned
--taking bad flanks
--running away from heals
--forgetting cover exists
--peeking a Widow or Hanzo or pocketed Sojourn or Ashe with like, a Symmetra

And of course these things do happen in the normal course of just playing the game and being human but the guys who die often do them over and over and over again. Dogs learn faster!

dying is very bad in Over Watch Two and it's very difficult to get value if you're dying so often.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

i mean according to blizz assuming they weren't misinterpreting their stats, pre-nerf sojourn was a losing character until you got to the top of the ladder where she was good

players have a decent pavlovlian response to soldier ult and mccree ult to scramble like roaches to cover and not give unnecessary line of sight. but for w/e reason, players will give an enemy sojourn's terribly timed ult as many 1-shot opportunities as possible and not even make any effort making you line of sighting the sojourn to deny her a bad play lol.

I mean, you can't even really scramble to cover for soj ult. She just fly's halfway across the map and pops you midair.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

people do games where say a gold player plays with the rest of the game being GM players or w/e. when the gold player's team loses, they might point to their team's losing bad stats as the reason for their loss and the winning team's good stats. but then when the gold player switches to the other team and they lose, suddenly the team with great stats now has bad stats and the team with terrible stats has good stats. the lack of pressure or support caused by a lesser skilled player hurt everyone else's output and made the enemy's output greater.

someone having "bad" stats is a culmination of the entire team's output. the outcome of the match is an aggregate of the entire team's responsibility. trying to pin blame on a singular person's "bad" stats is a really incorrect way to view how the game works.

if someone has like a 0.5 k/d in a particular silver II game with other silver IIs that are accurately rated and the other silver IIs are stomping, they are still all the same skill level. the only stat that meaningfully represents skill is the elo-based skill rating.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

dogstile posted:

I mean, you can't even really scramble to cover for soj ult. She just fly's halfway across the map and pops you midair.
yeah sojourn ult can be really hard to line of sight because of her mobility, but it still requires a little bit of thought to position, make sure you have the mobility cooldown, and make sure the enemy can't easily disengage

what i'm saying is that, people don't even TRY to line of sight a terribly timed and positioned sojourn ult. it's just like here sojourn you pressed the button before the team fight even started and you're still back at the choke? here's a bunch of freebies to go for lol. people don't do this even with greatly positioned and timed soldier or mccree ults.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Cassidy : Slows down Glows and has a map wide audio cue

76: map wide audio cue visual cue on his visor Hud extending immediately becomes more aggressive

Soj: does she say anything I've never heard it ever just kills you

Soj sucks

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Yeah I was gonna suggest it's a verbal cue that's just so generic and understated.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

MJBuddy posted:

Yeah I was gonna suggest it's a verbal cue that's just so generic and understated.

I've definitely gotten to the point where I can recognize it coming but the fact that I can't call to mind the actual voice line makes me inclined to agree with you.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Widow: map wide audio cue

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Soj says "this ends now!" or something equally as generic and forgettable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cassidy and Soldier both yell really loud and you can always know that "they are somewhere in this direction, so I just behind cover to where ever I heard the ult from and I'll be safe.".

With Soj you can learn to hear her generic ult callout but you can't take cover from her because she has Moira's teleport super-jump that she can use twice during the ult.
You can't take cover against that.

Sojourn should just not be able to headshot, period.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
That plus her mobility. With Cassidy/Soldier I immediately try to identify flanks and high ground but with Soj she's probably about to just slide boost right through the middle of combat.

I will say I'm very rarely actually concerned at my level. I guess a few have good runs here and there but on console at my skill tiers no one is popping heads.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bastions ult callout always confuses me because I forget which team he's on.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

At least Bastion's ult doesn't kill anything ever.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

forcing sojourn to get super hyper aggro to get a pick with her ult does make her more vulnerable and can burn her mobility cooldown to engage, meaning she doesn't have it to instantly run away and a potential window to collapse on her

again this isn't usually an issue b/c people just like to keep looking at her w/o costing her anything lol

soj's voicelines in general do suck though and her overpowered ult voiceline is really subpar for how much it does. people react instantly and like crazy to soldier ult which is way less impactful lol

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 15, 2023

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
lol
https://www.dexerto.com/overwatch/overwatch-2-players-now-getting-more-coins-doing-bing-searches-than-playing-game-2023826/

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's wild that Tracer's ult is worse than Cassidy's grenade. Although if you play against the casual AI and throw Tracer's bomb on the floor three AI helpfully walk into it.

lmao

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
it is so cool having a pocketed sojourn in all my games!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

what i'm saying is that, people don't even TRY to line of sight a terribly timed and positioned sojourn ult. it's just like here sojourn you pressed the button before the team fight even started and you're still back at the choke?

well luckily the ult lasts for 8 seconds so there's still time to laser people

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Rick posted:

It's wild that Tracer's ult is worse than Cassidy's grenade. Although if you play against the casual AI and throw Tracer's bomb on the floor three AI helpfully walk into it.

lmao

As a Tracer "main" this outright gives me the shits. I'm often better shooting someone that trying to get them with the ult. Odds are I'll only get one person if I stick it anyway and most of the characters can shrug it off anyway. The only time I get more is if what you said happens and people just walk onto it. The last time I got a triple it was two walkers and Mercy flying into it.

Also Sojourns ult line is "it ends now" and goes the same distance as the others, and none of them are map wide in OW2.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've had Tracer try to ult me when I play Moira so many times and I'm still just as baffled every time they do it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

forcing sojourn to get super hyper aggro to get a pick with her ult does make her more vulnerable and can burn her mobility cooldown to engage, meaning she doesn't have it to instantly run away and a potential window to collapse on her

again this isn't usually an issue b/c people just like to keep looking at her w/o costing her anything lol

soj's voicelines in general do suck though and her overpowered ult voiceline is really subpar for how much it does. people react instantly and like crazy to soldier ult which is way less impactful lol

I mean, right now the big play in ranked (I no longer play scrim stuff, so i assume it might be different there) is that she'll just get Nano'd/Mercy pocketed so she can still just one tap everyone while being at very little risk. Like, as a tank, I can't actually take her out of the fight when she ults unless I hook her and hope she isn't nano'd. Otherwise she just burns me instead, which is still a teamfight win.

Every other tank she straight up just ignores.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

It is a good poo poo post article.
He has gotten '240' coins by playing since launch, which is less than quarter available. Getting first tier of weeklies every other week? :pathetic:
Yeah, but Microsoft points are easier coins to collect.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Issaries posted:

He has gotten '240' coins by playing since launch, which is less than quarter available. Getting first tier of weeklies every other week? :pathetic:

When Blizzard says "jump", you jump, little piggy.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Issaries posted:

It is a good poo poo post article.
Yeah, but Microsoft points are easier coins to collect.

God forbid you play any other games or do anything else with your already free time than play Overwatch(not knocking you here,it's an obvious design choice by Blizzard is what I'm saying).

Honestly it'd be kind of possible if Blizzard cared about the lore in any of the games they make anymore.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

https://twitter.com/OhReallyJared/status/1613923785006280707?s=20&t=SVseS7ID4mrwqGpgpAypiQ

"Lack of choice in rewards" sounds like they may do the bare minimum and put some sort of skin token in the battlepass instead of actually making it good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Been having more fun playing vampire survivors lately, lol.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I haven't played in two weeks due to Witcher 3. I have hunt contracts to fill and treasures to hunt.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm currently just refusing to play Orisa and using Winston/Hog everywhere.

It's amazing how many people will accuse me of throwing because they're letting Orisa 4v1 in the backline while I have 4 people on me in the frontline. I guess they'll stubbornly keep playing Cree on R66 first point though. I'm sure they'll assault the high ground soon.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dogstile posted:

I'm currently just refusing to play Orisa and using Winston/Hog everywhere.

It's amazing how many people will accuse me of throwing because they're letting Orisa 4v1 in the backline while I have 4 people on me in the frontline. I guess they'll stubbornly keep playing Cree on R66 first point though. I'm sure they'll assault the high ground soon.

Ha, I feel like this is every game, two teams 4v1 the raid boss Orissa. Whichever team has the healers that can multitask better win.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

it feels like a lot of tanking is ignoring the other tank and shooting the squishies, like the game has broken down into two parallel encounters at once.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Cpt_Obvious posted:

it feels like a lot of tanking is ignoring the other tank and shooting the squishies, like the game has broken down into two parallel encounters at once.
Isn't that... how an asymmetric team battler should play out?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i wish there was some way to teach the playerbase that a gold I non-meta player gives them the same chance of winning as a gold I meta player and so on through every rank [ignoring map/composition/matchup factors]

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Pvt. Parts posted:

It's really weird that a tanks job is to just go murder stuff faster than the other tank while everyone else's job is to "not die", tbh.

They should just nerf Orisa into the ground for a bit and see where the meta goes. Right now every match goes like this, if you don't start with Orisa.

Play non-meta tank - Currently this is Ram/Winston/Dva for a lot of people.

Whoever loses first immediately swaps to Hog.

The other tank now has to either swap to Hog or Orisa so they don't throw.

If one of the hogs starts losing, go Orisa.

Orisa is picked, you should also go Orisa or face a significantly harder game.

E: I am aware she doesn't work on all maps, but its on the majority of maps, so much so that it makes me want to play less.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pvt. Parts posted:

It's like countering enemy Pharah by switching to Pharah and racing her to kill enemy backline first, which has become a legit strategy that I see all the loving time, and also it's garbage.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
that's one of the core strategies in ow: if you can outskill the opponent on a mirror matchup, then you should just play the mirror

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hope they either nerf Orisa or, preferably, buff all the lovely tanks.
I just want to play Orisa in peace and not have to deal with constant mirrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

After playing a lot of the Battle For Olympus I really wish Junker Queen was viable, she's extremely fun to murder things with (also the only fun character in that mode)