Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Blinkz0rz posted:

but why would you want to if you can keep your fingers closer?

the whole point of smaller keyboards is less reaching

i don't feel like i'm reaching onerously, or all that prominently at all on a board that has an f-row flush with numbers row?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

Instead of stretching uncomfortably for keys, and instead of making a keyboard smaller and smaller, what they should do is curve the keyboard up and around so you have all the keys you need, but they're all reachable. You could use basically like two bowl shapes with the keys inside the bowl and you could call the keyboard the kinesis advantage 2 for example.

congrats, you've invented a dactyl manuform

usually people do customize the shape to their hand though (it's a parametric design), and go for a smaller layout, e.g.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

can't slow down that wpm by needing to move your hands as you reload the page in the middle of a sentence for some reason

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Biggest difference for me was moving my modifier keys up from way down at the bottom to holding caps/enter/tab, and putting backspace/delete on [ and ], with brackets and parentheses on a layer on the left side of home row. Means I basically never need to leave the main 3 rows at any point while typing, which I find to be more comfortable. Different strokes though for sure.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i wonder how bad is a “bandaid ripped off” switch from staggered to ortholinear

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

i just use a regular keyboard instead of chopping off keys for no reason like a complete psychopath

“not enough room for my mouse” is such bull

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

congrats, you've invented a dactyl manuform

usually people do customize the shape to their hand though (it's a parametric design), and go for a smaller layout, e.g.

these look like medieval torture devices

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

these look like medieval torture devices

what about glove80

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Salt Fish posted:

Instead of stretching uncomfortably for keys, and instead of making a keyboard smaller and smaller, what they should do is curve the keyboard up and around so you have all the keys you need, but they're all reachable. You could use basically like two bowl shapes with the keys inside the bowl and you could call the keyboard the kinesis advantage 2 for example.

wow if anyone every does this please let me know where the kickstarter is, because this sounds great!!!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what about glove80

god designed human hands to type on flat, full-size keyboards. anything else is blasphemy

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lol, yeah, everyone knows the way bodies work is that you should invest a lot of money in sitting as static as possible for 12 hours a day, any motion will prematurely drain your vital humors

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

“not enough room for my mouse” is such bull

probably guys with a bunch of funko pops and other nerd trash cluttering their desks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

god designed human hands to type on flat, full-size keyboards. anything else is blasphemy

may i introduce you to azeron, a latvian gaming keyboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcGZjUn5qTA

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lol, yeah, everyone knows the way bodies work is that you should invest a lot of money in sitting as static as possible for 12 hours a day, any motion will prematurely drain your vital humors

I take breaks and go walking outside.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i want to order one of these so bad

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

they don’t call that a keyboard at all

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it says it right there: "beast"

its alive

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

it says it right there: "beast"

its alive

it’s a gamepad that sits on a desk

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
you sure? looks like some sort of crustacean to me op

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rotor posted:

i want to order one of these so bad

I have one but I haven’t set it up properly. was hoping to really enter the matrix in FFXIV before I took a break from it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
it just looks like a weird nostromo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

I have one but I haven’t set it up properly. was hoping to really enter the matrix in FFXIV before I took a break from it

how long did it take to deliver? it feels like theres some JIT manufacturing goin on. Is the build quality decent?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fwiw, they’re assembled by hand in their workshop here. don’t think it’s quite made to order, but they definitely could be overwhelmed by orders on like black friday

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rotor posted:

how long did it take to deliver? it feels like theres some JIT manufacturing goin on. Is the build quality decent?

few weeks I think. build quality seems good and they’ll give you the models to 3D print parts if you want to adjust them

it’s just a lot to learn and my brain is weak

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

few weeks I think. build quality seems good and they’ll give you the models to 3D print parts if you want to adjust them

it’s just a lot to learn and my brain is weak

yeah im a huge sucker for weird input devices so I fully acknowledge that it will 98% chance never be more than a weird thing I own but i really want one

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rotor posted:

yeah im a huge sucker for weird input devices so I fully acknowledge that it will 98% chance never be more than a weird thing I own but i really want one

I hear ya

I still have a Razer Hydra and a gen-1 Leap Motion thing in my office closet, I think along with some hosed-up Grifta modular gamepad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://shop.custommk.com/blogs/news/engikeeb-an-experimental-ultra-low-cost-keyboard some cool stuff here

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if i wanted a keyboard with 108 keys (? i think? i want volume keys but i don't want to share them with f keys) what are some good options

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

how about the keychron v6? i like the knob.

or the q6 i guess but dang that's expensive

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I want a keychron keeb

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

if you get one get it from amazon so you can get it refunded if it's broken, keychron's customer service is legendarily terrible.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Midjack posted:

if you get one get it from amazon so you can get it refunded if it's broken, keychron's customer service is legendarily terrible.

I didn’t know this, but so far my q10 has been perfect (other than me still needing to figure out how to bind something as numlock; need to read the QMK source more deeply)

got a shipping notification for my analog Wooting keyboard the other day. hoping I have time to hack analog car steering into cyberpunk or something I play

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

v-series and q-series (except maybe version 1 of q1) all offer fair value. k-series is ok, but definitely their least compelling product line

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

if you want a big keyboard with a nice knob look at das keyboards, the 4 pro or ultimate. not cheap but the build quality is great

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

if i wanted a keyboard with 108 keys (? i think? i want volume keys but i don't want to share them with f keys) what are some good options

any ducky fullsize

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jenny Agutter posted:

if you want a big keyboard with a nice knob look at das keyboards, the 4 pro or ultimate. not cheap but the build quality is great

dang these look like nice keybs

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

dang these look like nice keybs

that's the crowd that bought the Model M tooling from unicomp right?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

that's the crowd that bought the Model M tooling from unicomp right?

when did that happen? afaik unicomp is still churning out trash

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my daskeeyb was shiny which I couldnt deal with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

hi keyboard thread

A while ago I was assigned a new junior dev who has a disability of some kind - he didn't volunteer its exact nature and I haven't asked, but I wanted to see if I could come up with any ideas and then maybe broach the subject in a respectful way.

He's in a powered wheelchair and doesn't seem to have the ability to move much. Recently we did a screenshare and I realized that he was using the windows 10 onscreen keyboard with his mouse cursor for all of his typing. It works, but it's tedious. I'm not necessarily assuming that he hasn't explored whether better options exist on his own, but I'm curious if anyone in this thread knows of some kind of keyboard-alternative that might be usable by someone with extremely limited motion? I know he can handle a mouse or something a lot like it - is there any kind of keyboard that could be grasped in a similar way? I'm not actually sure if he has the use of both hands or just one. If there's something that looks promising I can get the company to buy him one, or even just foot the bill myself. Any ideas would be welcome.