Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's cause they're a cool person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Duelist is such a good card game for my brain. All it takes for me to love your game is draw 2 cards as a baseline apparently

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I dismissed this game a couple years ago after a few hours (partly cause of performance issues), but now that I decided to ignore its objectives and just gently caress around flying, I'm loving it

https://i.imgur.com/nsJMqbW.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/gyRKYFi.mp4

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In the Assassins Creed viking game you can get tattoos, obviously mostly of Norse poo poo and theres a part of my mind going like "well can't get this one lmao"

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
one of my buddies from high school has some first person shooter logo tattooed on his shoulder, i'm not even sure where its from it's, might be Resistance or Killzone or something but its i always thought it was pretty obscure and cool and that's saying something because i cannot stand tattoos

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

I have sort of matching tattoos on my left and right forearms of San from Princess Mononoke and Totoro. Gotta really just embrace the silly tattoos (but I totally understand how people may not want to have them).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't have any nerd tattoos but someone on Twitter posted some art of the Gundam Wing boys drawn in Simpsons style and that's tempting to me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

They did say that the two have a very strained relationship (one guy at the lounge claims that the daughter secretly worked at her dad's company for years and the latter only found out during the meeting appointing her at CFO...and instead of being shocked or proud, he simply told her "don't screw this up"). You can also trick Robert into killing Sierra himself. While that video cuts him off right before he says it, he pretty much immediately gets over his shock by assuming (technically correctly) that Providence is getting back at him for defecting and promising to be loyal from now on. So he's basically just a sociopath. Just like Musk, whom he's clearly based on.

fair enough. in that case, i would accept the announcer's being like "oh big sad about turn left sally" and that maybe if you stick around after the accident you get a stern reprimand

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Looper posted:

in previous souls playthroughs i've always gone with physical builds so it's kind of exciting to be focusing more on magic this time

I’m wrapping up a faith run and it’s sick as hell, you get so many different options for like no reason, like the laser eye sniper spell, the “turn into a dragon and inflict toxic” one, and my personal fave, “make a sword out of the literal concept of death and do a sonic boom with it”. Winged Scythe is clutch as hell and I think one of the best faith scaling options in the game too, or at least it sure seemed that way.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

guys i dunno if yall have heard of this game called Pentiment it's pretty good

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
So far in 2023 I started, played through all of and gotten three of the four endings in Timespinner. (Extremely decent SotNlike with a number of really neat mechanics - perfect Steam Dreck game.)

Have 17 hours in FFX-2. So far an incredibly worthy sequel to FFX and despite spending 2 hours and 50 minutes playing like a dunce yesterday I am at completion rate of 45%. :D Year of the jRPG!!

Played 30 hours of a brand new save in Fallout 4. (Going to finish it this time!! I always forget about the quests and just wander and explore which I have half done this time but am actually making progress in a lot of different spots.)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So far in 2023 I've played a bit of Chorvs, its okay but will probably drop it. Finished Miles Morales, finished Valkyrie Profile, and now I'm playing Star Ocean First Departure R.

Year of the JRPG!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
my 2023 so far consists of arkham city, about a dozen league of legends games and an overwhelming amount of crash bandicoot

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

My 2023 so far has been finishing up the GTA5 story again, playing through the second half of Katamari Damacy, Final Fantasy 1 and 2, then The Secret of Monkey Island. Very random assortment haha. The Steam Deck is too good!

Currently playing Superliminal as a bit of a short breather between bigger games. Quite fun!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Just wrapped Infinite Warfare. I did all the missions, good game.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Kerrzhe posted:

I'm rounding the end on this, it's unbelievably good. I wonder how far its word of mouth in 2022 GOTY will carry it in 2023 GOTY.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've been playing Batora: Lost Haven. I went into this thinking it would be like "Diablo with choices" but it's pretty much a Bastion clone, complete with the post-apocalyptic reboot the world storyline. The writing is kinda all over the place and seems more intended for a preteen ATLA audience but it's a very playable game that looks nice and moves along at a good pace. I'm about 5 hours in which is maybe a little more than halfway.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Just wrapped Infinite Warfare. I did all the missions, good game.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
All my gaming so far this year is The Last Remnant. It's interesting that there's huge chunks of the map
and tons of sidequests you can completely miss if you only follow the plot.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ethan and BT, 2016's finest hard sci-fi FPS robros

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Games finished this year so far:

The Quarry
Chorvs
Valkyrie Elysium (all endings)
Kena: Bridge of Spirits

...I actually thought it was more than that but I've started a lot more than I've finished lol

Next up Wild Arms 3, hopefully.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/400facts/status/1614632688526163970?s=46&t=7ZPcitGKISe_kW0FZw2nsQ

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I appreciate that it's basically Battlestar Galactica / The Expanse / America's Gundam, need more games with that vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmaZw1xMxBQ

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I appreciate that it's basically Battlestar Galactica / The Expanse / America's Gundam, need more games with that vibe

Yeah, BSG, Expanse, Aliens, there are a ton of sci-fi references and little details in there. The plot is generic as hell and most of the characters are cardboard cutouts, but the atmosphere, pacing, sound/environment design are nothing short of spectacular.

Absolutely insane that the audience for the series kind of ended up rejecting the game. I can't speak for the multi, but the story mode is pretty dope and has aged super well. Brainless COD fans. I guess that reveal trailer is one of the most disliked youtube vids of all time or something, which might explain why there are voice and trophy references to 'boots on the ground' very early on, as if they were trying to reassure people or something.

Titanfall 2 and Infinite Warfare, what a double feature.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

COD:IW did have a pretty good campaign but it really did feel so much like you're playing an in-universe propaganda product written with the most heavy hand possible that I had to laugh multiple times during the course of playing it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

usa oorah space imperialists must nobly battle to secure and extract resources for super earth after being 9-11'd by unredeemable galactic russians from the client colonies

yeah, the military got its say in there as usual. devs kind of do their best to sidestep it but only get so far

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Like, Titanfall 2 does a pretty good job of establishing its villains and there is pretty much no way to read the situation that could lead the IMC to be the more sympathetic faction despite the POV militia unit literally calling themselves Marauders. But the IMC and Blisk's mercs feel like natural villains of a story that you experience as a player and it feels satisfying to take them down.

COD:IW's Settlement Defense Front are written flatly to be demonized, and as a tool to demonize an Other. This in contrast to a blandly heroic group of protagonists whose patriotic self-sacrifice feels like it's laser-focused in its attempts to inspire its audience to put their controllers down, walk over to a recruitment office, and take the fight to Space Jon Snow.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

usa oorah space imperialists must nobly battle to secure and extract resources for super earth after being 9-11'd by unredeemable galactic russians from the client colonies

yeah, the military got its say in there as usual. devs kind of do their best to sidestep it but only get so far

Yeah this would explain a lot huh lol

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The technicians finally finished installing the new line for Internet in a place that's nearer to my sister's room (who has been complaining about her speed for years) and I really hope in two hours they finish optimization and it goes better because I lost a lot of speed.

If my FFXIV playtime gets affected because she can't understand WiFi will never go to the same speed as on cable...

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The no.1 reason I want own a house is to install Ethernet in every room.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

bone emulator posted:

It's harder than it looks because on mine at least all outside cables come from the same outlet so I'd have to put cables everywhere.

Also I was happy with 600Mbs on Wifi. I'm pretty sure every network drama on this house would have been solved if my sister let me configure a PLC on her room instead of doing it herself and claiming it sucks.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Rarity posted:

All my gaming so far this year is The Last Remnant. It's interesting that there's huge chunks of the map
and tons of sidequests you can completely miss if you only follow the plot.

Did you know that if you play a certain tune on any of the bell puzzles in the jungle you get a movement speed trait?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Evil Kit posted:

Did you know that if you play a certain tune on any of the bell puzzles in the jungle you get a movement speed trait?

I haven't even found a jungle yet

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Rarity posted:

I haven't even found a jungle yet

You start in a concrete jungle!!!

Sorry for spoilers. :( There's a lot of stuff in TLR that you might never see if you don't do an obsessive amount of world respawns it's kinda nuts tbh. Have fun finding some of it!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

bone emulator posted:

That's not easy to do, but you can get the ethernet in the room with the games (provided it's on the right side of the house) and then pay them for the fastest speed they have. It is nice.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Runa posted:

Like, Titanfall 2 does a pretty good job of establishing its villains and there is pretty much no way to read the situation that could lead the IMC to be the more sympathetic faction despite the POV militia unit literally calling themselves Marauders. But the IMC and Blisk's mercs feel like natural villains of a story that you experience as a player and it feels satisfying to take them down.

COD:IW's Settlement Defense Front are written flatly to be demonized, and as a tool to demonize an Other. This in contrast to a blandly heroic group of protagonists whose patriotic self-sacrifice feels like it's laser-focused in its attempts to inspire its audience to put their controllers down, walk over to a recruitment office, and take the fight to Space Jon Snow.

The single most ridiculous moment in that campaign is where they establish Space Jon Snow as a Bad Guy by having him mock the dude you control in the prologue for caring about his men, shooting one of his own men to show just how much he doesn't care, then say "This is why you can't win" since he is so stronk or whatever before killing the dude and his entire squad. Why the hell would anyone follow a dude who flat out admits he doesn't care about his men and randomly kills them? What's the point?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 16, 2023

rox
Sep 7, 2016

2023 gaming progress

+started and fully completed vampire survivors on ios. cleared all unlocks, bestiary entries, the entire collection, and all secrets. very fun to play while watching vids or streams and also a bit like plugging my brain into an electric socket.

+started pentiment (pc) and made it to the abbey. not very far yet because my boyfriend finds it really neat and im waiting to play along with him today. gorgeous game, and brilliant presentation so far.

+started scooby-doo and the night of 100 frights on gamecube. watching jerma play a bunch of ps1 and ps2 games the other night made me realize ive never actually played this. just getting my bearings but i like sd a lot and its very charming so far. plus don knotts is there!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kerrzhe posted:

I finished it a few weeks ago and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since, enjoyed it immensely.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ironically it was this exact segment that taught me once and for all that FPS games are not for me. I could tell that it was extremely cool and good, and yet I was having an awful time. Game probably good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

unfortunately, none of the above, google

I want to use Google Photos as a cloud copy of my pc screenshots. I didn't consider that its theme filtering would work on games.

"storms"

"sunset"

"cliffs"

"skylines"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All right, rolled credits on Batora: Lost Haven. That sure was a video game that existed. There are apparently four different endings that you can see in NG+ but I think one go-round was enough for me. Kind of a weird one, mostly Saturday morning cartoon level script with a few dashes of melodrama and genocide. Combat never felt particularly technical but was decent for the 8 hours it took me to complete. There are typos pretty much everywhere so I'm just going to assume the developers aren't native English speakers. Overall it was fine. It's fine.

So far in 2023 I have completed:

Citizen Sleeper
Vampire Survivors
Batora: Lost Haven

Up Next: Maybe MHR when that comes out in a few days on Gamepass, otherwise no plans.