Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

CameronisGod posted:

Plane - Planes..do not...work THAT WAY.

More or less accurate than con air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Sick (2022) - John Hyams makes another incredibly tense and violent action/horror I append the action the label onto this because it's basically a slasher the set pieces have some great choreography and the violence has this amazing visceral feel to it. If you've seen his other movies (Universal Solider Day of Reckoning or Alone specifically) you'll know what I'm talking about. If you haven't then there's 3 solid flicks you should check out sometime.

CameronisGod
Dec 19, 2022

by Pragmatica

Jenny Agutter posted:

More or less accurate than con air?

I'm watching the Con Air landing on the strip scene and yeah. Con Air is way more realistic.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CameronisGod posted:

I'm watching the Con Air landing on the strip scene and yeah. Con Air is way more realistic.
Ooh, this should be fun. My brother-in-law is a pilot, and while he's generally a chill guy (as you'd hope) one thing that gets him steamed is Hollywood misrepresentation of How Plane Work.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

CameronisGod posted:

I was thinking of the scene where they pull the plane out of a sand bank but I think you answered my question anyway

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Decision to Leave (2022)
I wasn't personally huge on the story (though it was done well) but the great editing and scene transitions in this movie actually made me angry that other movies aren't like this. Mid-to-big-budget movies could be edited like this all the time but they aren't? Why???

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Plane Finally a movie with the courage to ask. Are Crisis Management firms and PMC's the good guys?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Decision to Leave (2022)
I wasn't personally huge on the story (though it was done well) but the great editing and scene transitions in this movie actually made me angry that other movies aren't like this. Mid-to-big-budget movies could be edited like this all the time but they aren't? Why???

Get this feeling watching any Korean film that would be considered micro budget in Hollywood

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Strange World : a movie about Fathers that is also a gorgeous film and a creaky metaphor for environmental science. Loved it

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

La Collectionneuse Next to Maud this is the moral tale of Rohmer's I'm going to have to turn around in my head the most. Whereas the first couple had clearly defined "bad" and "good" guys this one has four people all playing fifth dimensional relationship chess trying to avoid/gain Haydee as a lover. Beautifully shot too on the French Riviera.

So good, it and Maud's are my partner's favorites. A lot of the moral tales to me come across as the men thinking they're playing 5d chess when they are really eating paste. They are so good at locking into the narrator or protagonists perspective with just enough ironic distance that you can see how misapplied they are and often how they're actually coming across.

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022
Everything Everywhere all at once was extremely good.

Thor love and thunder is kinda bad

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Tár (2022) very nice. What a punch line in that last scene lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Life is Beautiful - Posted about this in genchat but suffice to say I have mixed feelings about setting a schmaltzy feelgood comedy at a concentration camp. 4/10

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Double feature of movies about old men coming to terms with death:

Living: You can tell Ishiguro did this adaptation, for better and worse. Bill Nighy is good, the movie has a very striking look with tons of shadow—there’s a scene where he emerges from pitch-black night that’s really cool. Very “flat” plotting and dialogue (that’s Ishiguro), but still manages to pack an emotional punch.

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish: quite good for kid’s stuff! Mostly notable for the very creative animation. Fun fairy-tale jokes, sweet plot, even if you can see the beats coming a mile away. Eerie how the title parallels Magic Mike’s Last Dance, the second part of the Salma Hayek in love with in-story celebrity men duology, which this movie began.

Overall I declare that Bill Nighy dealt better with impending death, but that Puss in Boots had a more exciting time of it.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

Life is Beautiful - Posted about this in genchat but suffice to say I have mixed feelings about setting a schmaltzy feelgood comedy at a concentration camp. 4/10

I still want to see The Day The Clown Cried because it feels very much apiece with this. I loved Life is Beautiful because how else can you deal with real horror but by laughing

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Idk maybe crying. Schindler's List made me cry when I saw it.

I also watched Mishima tonight. It was pretty drat good and speaks for itself so I don't have too much to say about it. Paul Schrader does masculine self destruction better than anyone. 9/10

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Charlie's Angels - Fun and silly romp, neat effects and some cool fights. Lots of spy riffs and a surprising amount of good music.

Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle - McG must be stopped at all costs, he is a direct threat to my sanity. Why can everyone fly in this movie?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Plane

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Lobster - This was pretty Kaufman-esque, although not quite on the same level. Actually,, I'm pretty sure this is what dating is like in the Overdrawn At The Memory Bank universe. I'm ADHD but this is too long for how straightforward the metaphor is and how dry the humor is, I think an hour and a half is enough for people speaking in monotone the whole time. 7/10

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Blind-watching A Night at the Kindergarten (2022): So is this going to be a horror comedy? Oh, I guess it's a school/office type comedy. Are there really only like 8 parents in this kindergarten? Oh poo poo, the loose cannon has a gun, that means it's....a bottle movie, gently caress! Wait, the parent's are doing a Nativity play? Is this going to be a theater production comedy too?.....WTF, everyone survived, what kind of bottle movie is this? And since when do school meetings happen in the middle of the night? Someone help me understand the Polish school system.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Buttchocks posted:

And since when do school meetings happen in the middle of the night? Someone help me understand the Polish school system.
I don't know anything about Poland but in a lot of places school meetings happen in the evening because parents have jobs they have to be at during the day.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Air Force One: I generally really like this movie, but my partner asked me what it's about and I glibly replied it's The End of History the movie. And now I can't unsee it, watching it everything really comes into focus when I said that. I still really like it but man that's the truth.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
After Yang I liked this one a lot. It’s a quiet, contemplative sci fi about family and grief without becoming depressing. All the memories and stylish and filled with interesting conversation. That Yang seemed like a cool dude.

Also gotta love those opening credits, and really all the music in the film.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Scenes From A Marriage - Watched the 5 hour version. Might be my new favorite Bergman. It's late and this was long and so I'll save my longer reaction for letterboxd tomorrow when I have the time but I'm thinking this is a 10/10

e: I''ll just link my lb review for SFAM because it summarizes my first reaction better https://letterboxd.com/smayta/film/scenes-from-a-marriage-1973-1/

Today I watched the sequel, which was also Bergman's final film.

Saraband - Saraband is a the supposed sequel to Scenes from a Marriage. I say supposed because while Liv Ullman and Erland Josephson are ostensibly playing the same characters 30 years later, and the events of the first film are referenced, things don't quite line up. Like, how could Johan have a son who is 60+ years old from his second marriage? Even if it's not his biological son, they reference a moment they had when the son was 19, "50 years ago". And we know the movie is set 30 years after the first, just as it was made, because the ages of Johan and Marianne line up with how old they would have been as well. I don't think this is a mistake, rather I think the characters presence serves a different role. This is Bergman's farewell tour and he's playing all the hits: you got daddy issues, daughters dying of unknown wasting diseases, silent god, guilt, classical musicians, and one of the highest monologues per minute (m/pm) rates of his later filmography. So why not throw in the fan favorite characters? It's Bergman doing Bergman and it's great! But what's with the incest?

It's sad to see Erland Josephson visibly suffering from the Parkinsons that would kill him. He slips so naturally back into the role of Johan despite this, and Liv Ullman of course is as fantastic as always. While this film does not live up to the first, I think it will be my new smartass response for "best legacy sequel". It's definitely the Fury Road of movies about people whose relatives don't invite them to Swedish Thanksgiving. 8/10

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 18, 2023

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
The Woman King: Pretty cool war movie. Bogged down by way too many subplots, but the action is cool, the costumes are cool, the set design in Dahomey is cool. Marketing deceived me, Viola Davis is not actually the main character in this movie, and the actual main character probably should have been cut (the actor, Thuso Mbedu, is great, but her story is definitely one of the least interesting subplots). It’s funny reading reviews from when this came out and everyone has to mention the historical inaccuracies—remember when that was a big thing on Twitter for a couple weeks? Who cares!

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
My Son (2021) has anyone seen this film? Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on the forums before. James McAvoy plays a man who's son goes missing, and the concept of the film is that it is scripted for everyone except McAvoy, so he is essentially improvising and trying to solve the crime in real-time. It plays like watching someone have a bad run through of Heavy Rain, or trying to solve an escape room, fun concept but not sure how much it works to make the film seem more natural and how much it hinders it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Holy Spider Good idea, bad execution. Stretches feel like the film going through the motions, and most of the characters have very little to do in the second half. Tonally the movie can never decide what it wants to be besides a condemnation of the Regime and social mores of Iran. It switches between a serial killer POV thriller, a woman facing sexism movie, a social critique and all with zero connection between the component parts.

The Metropolitan Opera: Fedora 2023 Didn't steal my heart like La Traviata did, but still a great time. I personally loved them representing St. Petersburg by just filling every inch of the back wall with Icons. The plot itself was one of your typical missed messages hidden information tragedies but elevated by some very powerful songs. I would have however dropped the two comic relief characters, they just felt like filler.

Call Northside 777 Feels more like a precursor to all those true crime shows and podcasts than a noir. Jimmy has just got too good a heart to be playing a noir, and the film to hopeful based on real events or not.

Rendez-Vous One of those good old fashioned movies about seeing how poorly you can treat a woman in an hour and a half. You can see how Binoche became such a force after this, she manages to navigate an incredibly challenging role quite well despite being so young and relatively inexperienced. Honestly that probably helped her.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Just saw Tár and ehhh 6.5/10. Wasn’t as clever or compelling as it thought it was and was far far too long. Even Avatar 2 felt shorter. Lingered and re-emphasised on a lot of things it had already done an hour before. Obviously very good performances all around though.
Got deeply confused when Monster Hunter World was included in the acknowledgments in the beginning but lol.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Takeout there's a type of film where everything that doesn't involve the MC is a million times more interesting than the actual goings on's of the MC. This is one of those films. Ming is a boring dude trapped in the most predictable plot imaginable. Give me the Chinese restaurant show not this nonsense.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Call Northside 777 Feels more like a precursor to all those true crime shows and podcasts than a noir. Jimmy has just got too good a heart to be playing a noir, and the film to hopeful based on real events or not.

It's really interesting because it feels like the larval stage or prototype of like 3 different genres, even with the usage of the photo transfer presaging all the csi stuff we get. It doesn't really have a plot in some ways, they really die the investigation. I also love/hate Stewart's change from a cop lover to skeptic.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

RRR

I will be a scholar of this movie for a long time

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Professional Some of those scenes with Portman really don't play in a theatre nowadays, audible silence. Her, and Oldman are great though, she's got a perfect mix of bratty and serious. And Oldman is doing Bruce Dern from The Driver but twice as unhinged and twice as corrupt. Could've used some more "cleaning" scenes but what we did get was good.

They obviously filmed the interiors in France though, sorry frenchie that's not what American apartments look like.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Vacation Friends: a little goofy comedy was the perfect tonic. Cena continues to be the best at himbo acting

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Finally saw Glass Onion. I'll keep it brief: it was better than expected (though I'm not sure I like the pivot into world's greatest detective from Columbo ripoff) but man I wonder how much of this movie's references will become extremely dated and obscure over time. Also I'm not so sure if this movie would be as popular if it's premier didn't coincidentally line up with real world events.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
M3gan: manages to walk a really fine line where it’s goofy and wild and darkly funny but also still kinda tense. The cinema is alive and well.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Finally saw Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I can see why people hated it back in the day and although flashy and cool, I'm not sure there is a deeper meaning behind it all. Other than people can be lovely and weird in relationships, maybe?

Also lmao Scott as the main character has like a 3k bass guitar ahahahahahaha, though maybe that's part of the reason he's broke as gently caress. Lol.

Edit: I looked it up: apparently Scott borrows the bass from his brother in the comic, also they're closer to 2k. That was the other thing apparent in the film I forgot to mention, you can tell they're compressing 6 books of material into one movie.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 25, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
6 books which weren’t finished by the time the movie came out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Nah the last book had come out, but they weren't quite done when filming.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Saw The Squeeze at the Electric Birmingham, presented by a local cult film festival group*. A gritty 70s London crime thriller, Stacy Keach plays the alcoholic ex-Met copper who must rescue his ex-wife (Cathy Come Home's Carol White) who has been taken hostage along with her daughter by a crime boss to extort her new husband (Edward Fox), who owns a money transport company.

Really enjoyed it and I think it compares favourably to films like Get Carter, although the lead is a bit more of a lovable drunk than a cold hearted killer. Some really good shots of multicultural 70s London street life, with a good selection of charming-but-violent thugs (including Blow Up's David Hemmings).

*Cine Excess, who put on monthly screenings at the Electric and other events at local venues (they had a Q&A with Ti West last year and brought over Pam Grier to introduce Jackie Brown and Coffey).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pathaan better than every Craig Bond film, the future of film is in India