Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Both the singular-r and double-r are valid in English, but single-r is only used for the noun form.
It should have two R's, right, if it originally came from "guerra"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Look, if we start relitigating how words should be spelled in English, written language will cease to hold any meaning.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
All I'm saying is if Captain Ron rolled his Rs like a native speaker Martin wouldn't have had a problem.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Wait til you hear about the lyrics to the alphabet song. Might want to sit down

Since the whole drat point of the alphabet song is to teach the alphabet in alphabetical order it'd be pretty bloody pointless to have them in any other one.

Though

"O G I M N X T C
Y L singin' out my F H Z,
Q E D on my new P V,
A K B 3 S the one for me,
smoked a fat J up in a tree
a W now U R to cross-eyed me ."

does have a certain something I guess, and potential for a lucrative sponsorship deal.

I'd just really never thought about the order of A E I O U before because why would you? It's a nice logical phonic progression as well as being in order.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here in Australia they didn't pussyfoot around with changing letters, they just straight up sold n-word candy :nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=numbCLeS14o

Oh hey it's the Delta Rhythm Boys. Nice ad, I wonder what they're advertising...

oh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWnqZyodqFM

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Oh you want jingles? Australia's got jingles
https://soundcloud.com/chris-keating/friend of the family-boy-soap-pads :nws:

We were still selling Coon Cheese and Redskins candy up until 2021 when they changed the names, and of course there was a LOT of people protesting the change

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why did they rename the LFL tho :thunk:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Jesus loving christ, Australia. I thought Darkie toothpaste was bad

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

FreudianSlippers posted:

Tenders are a specific cut of chicken meat.

Nuggets are a slurry of miscellaneous chicken parts pressed into shape and battered.
You left out the best part!
The "meat glue"

Hmm: that's a myth I guess

"MYTH: “Meat glue” is used to hold chicken nuggets together.

FACT: Transglutaminase, referred to by some as “meat glue,” is an enzyme sold for almost two decades that is used mostly in food service to bind pieces of meat together, such as a beef tenderloin or a strip of bacon to a filet. It is not used to make chicken nuggets. It is unnecessary – protein is extracted with salt and phosphate, then breast or thigh meat is ground or chopped and then easily formed into a nugget shape. The breading helps hold the nugget together, as well."

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Meat glue is wildly hazardous terrifying stuff.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Meat glue would just be an extra cost. The nugget meat is so thoroughly blasted apart it has its own glue ready to bind itself back together.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Torquemada posted:

Meat glue is wildly hazardous terrifying stuff.

I looked at the wikipedia page for transglutaminase and didn’t see anything particularly obvious- what makes it ‘wildly hazardous’?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Remember when someone tweeted video saying "this pink goo is how they make McNuggets" and McDonald's's official twitter yelled at them saying that it was a myth and that's not how McNuggets are made, and then the OP noted that the video is literally from a McDonald's video on how they make McNuggets? Good times.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Luneshot posted:

I looked at the wikipedia page for transglutaminase and didn’t see anything particularly obvious- what makes it ‘wildly hazardous’?

It fuses wet meat bits together. Like your eyes, nostrils and lungs!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

veggie nugget technology has advanced by leaps and bounds in just the last couple of years. I used to say that they tasted like cardboard, and the ones from KFC absolutely did, but the last I tried were nigh indistinguishable from proper chicken slurry. simulate brand from target

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

hawowanlawow posted:

veggie nugget technology has advanced by leaps and bounds in just the last couple of years. I used to say that they tasted like cardboard, and the ones from KFC absolutely did, but the last I tried were nigh indistinguishable from proper chicken slurry. simulate brand from target

I’ve seen those in stores and will have to try them some time. I like that they have dino flavor- if you’re going to make fake meat it shouldn’t be boring-rear end chicken, it should be bald eagle or pterodactyl. I’d go apeshit on a pile of Quetzalcoatl nuggets.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Remember when someone tweeted video saying "this pink goo is how they make McNuggets" and McDonald's's official twitter yelled at them saying that it was a myth and that's not how McNuggets are made, and then the OP noted that the video is literally from a McDonald's video on how they make McNuggets? Good times.

No, I don't remember this.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

old bean factory posted:

No, I don't remember this.

drat, that's a shame.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
Didn't learn till my 20s it's wheelbarrow and not wheelbarrel, and I'm still shattering people's worlds with this stunning revelation, gnosis takes hold and the neoplatonists are jealous of my access to these hidden or forggoten realities.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
After too many years on this earth, I finally learned how to pronounce "hyperbole". Oh English, you linguistic slut you!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Yeah it depends on whether you're talking about literary exaggeration or the XFL championship game

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ubergnu posted:

After too many years on this earth, I finally learned how to pronounce "hyperbole". Oh English, you linguistic slut you!

I'm in my forties and I still, every once in a while, get poo poo from my parents for the one time I pronounced "Constantinople" to rhyme with "Can't stand Monopoly"

I love those assholes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What do you mean it doesn't rhyme with tazmania?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
One of my best friends pronounced "chasm" as "chazz-um" instead of "kazz-um" back in the 90s, we still won't let him forget it

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

ubergnu posted:

Better than a superbowl, let me tell you

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Was the grink there?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

One of my best friends pronounced "chasm" as "chazz-um" instead of "kazz-um" back in the 90s, we still won't let him forget it

I've known three different people who pronounce it this way. Chazzum.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I used to pronounce "guild" so it was more like "Ge-uld" and not like "gild."

When I say "used to" I mean up until like 3 years ago when I said it the wrong way during a gaming session with friends...I'm 40.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I pronounce tabard ta-bard like the singing bard

my friends insisted that it's pronounced like scabbard

I'm not sure what is actually right but I still say ta-bard

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Back when the Red Alert games were a big thing, I played them a lot with a friend of mine. They involved a lot of made up Tesla coil weaponry - but for some reason, my friend pronounced it as "Telsa" every time. The dumb bit is, I thought he was wrong but he was so confident in his pronunciation that I figured it must be because it was a foreign word. I then meekly went along with it, to the point that it took years for the real pronunciation not to sound weird to me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I used to pronounce "guild" so it was more like "Ge-uld" and not like "gild."

When I say "used to" I mean up until like 3 years ago when I said it the wrong way during a gaming session with friends...I'm 40.

Gui like Gui-do, ld like ld.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
English is a bullshit language with bullshit rules anyway, just pronounce things however you want. If people understand you then you communicated correctly. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEWS45e5npA

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
There'll be at least one person reading know who's about to learn that "misle" is not a verb.

You've been misled.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Stop misling up the thread you drat misler :mad:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

English is a bullshit language with bullshit rules anyway, just pronounce things however you want. If people understand you then you communicated correctly. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEWS45e5npA

Burst out laughing at Tide.

An old favorite of mine rumbling around in my head:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZXHvsdSX5w

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

hawowanlawow posted:

my friends insisted that it's pronounced like scabbard

I'm not sure what is actually right but I still say ta-bard
*chanting outside the tavern with an inflatable rat* no scabbards!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

hawowanlawow posted:

Stuff I Can't Believe You Still Haven’t Figured Out: It’s Pronounced Tabard

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
My doctor pronounces larynx as larnyx every time....

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
As a kid I thought ash trays were rear end trays. Made sense; it's where you put cigarette butts :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

InediblePenguin posted:

My doctor pronounces larynx as larnyx every time....

One of our providers mispronounces so many things but I always notice how he can’t say “dyspnea” and says “dipsnea” instead

Also he is a super fundy but can’t say “Christian” without it sounding like “Kristin” instead