Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

maybe try decaf. there are many decaf brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

I thought about doing a post on this over the weekend but basically ZW's experience matches mine. It works well for its intended purpose, even if the purpose is kind of silly. It's a fun little thing if you want like three sips of coffee at a go. I've never gotten a completely grounds-free sip from my bripe, but I'm sure some of that's user error.

I enjoy it every now and then; I'm not sure how much is genuine and how much is ironic. I was losing steam on NYE and didn't want a whole cup of coffee so I made a bripe and that was a very nice amount. It's also fun for mildly trolling people like my friend whose reaction was, "why would I want to make 1/8 of my normal coffee in the hardest way possible?" and he's not wrong.

Mine was a late-night after-a-few-drinks apple-pay-is-right-there impulse buy and I can't say I regret it per se, but it's never going to be a regular-rotation coffeemaker. That said, if you want to have a little bit of coffee out on a hike or sitting on the deck/porch and don't mind looking a little ridiculous, that's what it's for and it does it better than you'd initially think.

edit: the slightly terrifying butane torch they supply has a little dial on the bottom to adjust the flame, but in my experience if I opened it up too much then the butane slowly escaped back out so that's less than ideal. probably user error on my end for that one too, but once I adjusted it back to near minimum (which is plenty of fire) it wasn't an issue

lousy hat fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 13, 2023

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

just had coffee

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
americano and key lime pie

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

good lord.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

had a tea this morning, haveing a coffee after lunch right now.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
unemployed beans are pretty good!

Gonna enjoy my cups and then tidy up the house some.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
can’t wait to have some c0ofee

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Chris Knight posted:

:discourse:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

got an evening cup

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i think im going to make some night beans as well

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
drip & pie & prog rock

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

had a coffee today

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
had a pot of coffee this morning. shocking revelation: coffee good

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

lousy hat posted:

had a pot of coffee this morning. shocking revelation: coffee good

huge, if true

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lunch was steak and eggs, now having a cup of coffee

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
grind a bean and drink it up
all the day you'll have good luck

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Pour one out for my Chemex, did not survive an encounter with a moving cat.

Happily I'd already drunk the coffee.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

SimonSays posted:

I’m sorry for your loss, I will pour one out (into my stomach) tomorrow morning.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

had some mcdonald's coffee on the walk home today, it's surprisingly good for the price point.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Zam Wesell posted:

i got one for xmas. have used it three times so far I think.

it owns. the filter does a pretty good job at filtering. i can brew around 50 ml (I think) in this thing, which is not a lot, but it is what it is. the whole product, with the carrying case, thermometer etc. actually seems really well thought out and put together.

it's also really quick to make a brew. put in your coffee, fill it up with water close to the brim, and fire up the terrifying quad jet torch. heating it up to 180 Fahrenheit takes about a minute (something like that). then stir. then wait for it so sink down to drinkable levels and you're good to go. the whole ordeal is probably quicker than waiting for my kettle to boil its minimum 800 ml.

so far I've just used it at home, but I'm going skiing next weekend. can't wait to Bripe in the wilderness.

Bripe.

lmfao thanks

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

having a nespresso at a friend’s house

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

thinking bout those beans

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SimonSays posted:

brewing in bean heaven now

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
coffee just finished brewing. will get up and pour a cup as soon as i get some energy. if only i’d made some coffee before i made the coffee.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lousy hat posted:

coffee just finished brewing. will get up and pour a cup as soon as i get some energy. if only i’d made some coffee before i made the coffee.

the eternal conundrum

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this style where it keeps hot water in a tank ready to go is really the best. joe dimaggio is right here. where have you gone?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

percolated coffee tastes loving awful, how the gently caress was that ever a thing?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

akadajet posted:

percolated coffee tastes loving awful, how the gently caress was that ever a thing?

When your coffee is commodity-grade and cheap, which was how Americans liked it in the 20th century, it doesn't much matter how you brew it, it's going to taste pretty bland.

However! You can definitely brew better or worse with a percolator. It's a different vibe, but done well I occasionally enjoy it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
morning coffe with the Lord

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

akadajet posted:

percolators were invented in the 1800s, people were all hosed up then

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
when my father-in-law died last year, my MIL had a big gathering at her house after the funeral, and one of my jobs was to make a giant reception percolator urn of coffee (which might have even been decaf??)

anyway it was like 50 or more retired folks 70 and older who all grew up drinking not-great percolator coffee. they blew through most of that giant urn in an afternoon.

edit: finally had my own coffee with a very silly bubble waffle

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

akadajet posted:

drip brewers were expensive and complex and only in diners

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

drip brewers were expensive and complex and only in diners

The automatic siphon (Sunbeam make a rad one) was the higher-quality home brewer of choice.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

SimonSays posted:

The automatic siphon (Sunbeam make a rad one) was the higher-quality home brewer of choice.

my folks had a chemex by sometime in the mid-80s. only got brought out occasionally for dessert at small dinner parties but in retrospect that was some decent coffee nerdery for the time

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx7Q8t9m4Ns

ooh... an analog clock model

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lousy hat posted:

my folks had a chemex by sometime in the mid-80s. only got brought out occasionally for dessert at small dinner parties but in retrospect that was some decent coffee nerdery for the time

my grandparents always used a chemex. I thought it was some kind of fancy and expensive thing

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

akadajet posted:

my grandparents always used a chemex. I thought it was some kind of fancy and expensive thing

Listen buddy, that was 65 of Canada's own dollars I spent replacing the fucker today, ok? I'll call it fancy and I'll feel like a princeling when I'm using it (i used it this afternoon, it was a fine half-decaf).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

haveing coffee