Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Relyssa posted:

I moved from the US to the UK a few years ago and it took a long while for "You alright?" to stop sounding like the asker thought something was actually wrong with me instead of just being the generic phatic greeting.

Not sure if it's a West Coast or City Person Thing (tm), but when I moved to a more rural/conservative area, people (especially older folks) were aghast when I would say "what's up?" as a response to "Hey how are you?" or "good morning" or whatever. The worst was when they would actually tell me what was up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I've been working in a mixed cultural setting for a while now and I've given up worrying about it. When people say "hey, how are you?" at work I just say "good-thanks-and-yourself", flash them an empty smile, and generally that lets us move on to whatever work they're gonna dump on me with a minimum of time wasted and feathers ruffled

In non-work contexts when people say "hey, how are you?" I instead reply "you can't even imagine" and then take a generous 15 minutes to explain in careful detail everything that's wrong with my life, so that they don't have to imagine. That's called being a courteous fellow customer at the bakery

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

This is a great picture of me I didn't even know about or recall happening quite that way (I didn't think I had that jacket when my hair was that short) but thank you for finding it all the same.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

FEMA summer camp posted:

This is a great picture of me I didn't even know about or recall happening quite that way (I didn't think I had that jacket when my hair was that short) but thank you for finding it all the same.

But I dont see hair or a jacket on the pervasive rot

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FEMA summer camp posted:

Oh poo poo that was you? I'm the skullmoon!

edit

Grassy Knowles posted:

But I dont see hair or a jacket on the pervasive rot

no you have it backwards

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Guildencrantz posted:

Huh. It's fascinating how English speakers have developed ways to get around the norm that "how are you"/"how's it going" is a generic greeting where you expect a positive answer. So I guess instead you have canned noncommittal answers that sound positive, but are code for "things are poo poo but I won't say it out loud". Coming from a culture where "ugh, don't even get me started on this horrible week" is considered a perfectly acceptable response, the Anglophone aversion to complaining in casual conversation keeps tripping me up.

I can’t speak for all, or even a notable, percentage of American English speakers, but here in my area of the Midwest we don’t really know how to process intimate negativity, even if it’s a healthy expression of dismay. You can be an entertaining bellyacher, but you have to commit to that identity and people are going to treat you like a strong personality whose company should be consumed responsibly and in small measure, plus your complaints won’t be taken seriously because that’s just how you are.

Honestly I think our political fuckedness dovetails with this. I can’t complain with my family about my financial or emotional issues, but if I adopt the right farcical political beliefs I can spend all night bitching about shadowy cabals of the wrong kind of people who ruin everything for everyone, thereby netting the kind of catharsis and familial closeness that otherwise eludes me when I follow social conventions.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

mysterious frankie posted:

I can’t speak for all, or even a notable, percentage of American English speakers, but here in my area of the Midwest we don’t really know how to process intimate negativity, even if it’s a healthy expression of dismay. You can be an entertaining bellyacher, but you have to commit to that identity and people are going to treat you like a strong personality whose company should be consumed responsibly and in small measure, plus your complaints won’t be taken seriously because that’s just how you are.

Honestly I think our political fuckedness dovetails with this. I can’t complain with my family about my financial or emotional issues, but if I adopt the right farcical political beliefs I can spend all night bitching about shadowy cabals of the wrong kind of people who ruin everything for everyone, thereby netting the kind of catharsis and familial closeness that otherwise eludes me when I follow social conventions.

hello, fellow midwesterner

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Relyssa posted:

I moved from the US to the UK a few years ago and it took a long while for "You alright?" to stop sounding like the asker thought something was actually wrong with me instead of just being the generic phatic greeting.

Awright m8?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Relyssa posted:

I ran afoul of that while backpacking. I also wasn't alright at the time, so the poor stranger got a slightly panicked, defensive, "what? Yes, I'm alright! Why wouldn't I be?!"

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

S.J. posted:

hello, fellow midwesterner

I’ve released a defensive cloud of ink and darted off.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Its very good. Mine was expensive but worth every penny because it also boosted the effectiveness of regular talk therapy

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Its very good. Mine was expensive but worth every penny because it also boosted the effectiveness of regular talk therapy

Nice!

I was sceptical when it said "better than CBT*" but from the wiki page it really sounds like it.

*Yes, yes. We know.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Wait till you learn about EBT and FBT.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

mysterious frankie posted:

I’ve released a defensive cloud of ink and darted off.

you're still standing at the doorway, one foot on the front step, one foot still in the entryway, leaned against the door frame with one hand

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oh poo poo that was you? I'm the skullmoon!

Sorry about trying to shoot you btw

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

bawk posted:

you're still standing at the doorway, one foot on the front step, one foot still in the entryway, leaned against the door frame with one hand

And that wasn't ink

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Relyssa posted:

:australia: here but at the end of last year I casually in passing asked someone if they were alright and they said no - turned out they were quietly having a heart attack and I had to call an ambulance for them and hang out for hour waiting for it to arrive.

I'm not asking that loving question again, let me tell you.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Riven posted:

Holy crap. Can you imagine being the guy who thought up This is Fine AND Dickbutt???

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is that a real mechanic in the game?

Yeah, Geralt can reflect any projectile with a frame-perfect button press and uses his rear end to do it.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Hollandia posted:

:australia: here but at the end of last year I casually in passing asked someone if they were alright and they said no - turned out they were quietly having a heart attack and I had to call an ambulance for them and hang out for hour waiting for it to arrive.

I'm not asking that loving question again, let me tell you.

Me: *having a heart attack*
Stranger: You alright?
Me: Fine, how are you?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are they going to gently caress the stove?

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Buddy,

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Crap the turbolift broke down, sorry guys

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

just like all edible things are sandwiches, every living thing that isn't a plant is a fish and every plant is algae

also, every plant would murder you given the opportunity and will power, it's just that they're cowards

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

I didn't gently caress my stove. I didn't cum on my stove. I didn't put my dick anywhere near my stove. I've never done anything weird with my stove.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Less STFU and more FTSU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Das sieht nicht wie aus Schauspielerin Gina Lollobrigida

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

loving savage

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Droopy snoot

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I didn't gently caress my stove. I didn't cum on my stove. I didn't put my dick anywhere near my stove. I've never done anything weird with my stove.

Pretty good burn (on your dick)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's one side of the story. Let's hear from the stove.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rkv98f41Wn1skmpu4.mp4

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What's with borzois all of a sudden, they seem to be everywhere

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
How do I download tumblr videos on mobile because there’s a couple of group chats I need to post that in

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Heath posted:

Not much, what's borzoi with you?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Heath posted:

They are my favourite bloodborne boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Re: greeting discussion, around 2006 at my first job, I had an American counterpart. He phoned me one day and asked me how I was, to which I responded "I'm okay" and he seriously found that worrying, so I had to explain to him that it meant I was literally "okay" and not about to throw myself off the nearest bridge.