Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Trying to make some gold off the festival, but prices for Divine envelopes and those champion boxes you get 3 of per day have already dropped to "barely worth it" levels. Think they'll bounce back up once the gamba people get going or am I wasting my time and gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Luggage posted:

Trying to make some gold off the festival, but prices for Divine envelopes and those champion boxes you get 3 of per day have already dropped to "barely worth it" levels. Think they'll bounce back up once the gamba people get going or am I wasting my time and gold?

I mean it's not as big of a profit as last year but it's still pure profit for very little work

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Luggage posted:

You could always just put them up for sale at whatever price they were a few months ago. Then when the festival supply drops off you'll make a lot of money

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Hm, okay. So as long as prices don't reach 1,17g, put them in the market.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Found out you get the champ boxes in story missions too, that was a nice bonus for trying to get some return to achievements.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

binge crotching posted:

Found out you get the champ boxes in story missions too, that was a nice bonus for trying to get some return to achievements.
Any particular story missions with lots of quick champs?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Luggage posted:

Any particular story missions with lots of quick champs?

the fastest way to get it imo is to head to the aerodrome, start a squad, head into the mythwright gambit (left most door, covered in gold,) tell Qadim to shut up, raptor across to the boss arena, dodge the slam, the kill 3 swords

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
If you’re going to do celestial challenge daily anyway, do it first since you have a chance of getting 3 champions as one of the random options.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So I want to get back into the game after leaving in year 2. I logged in and got 8 birthday gifts and there is a lot of new things that aren’t explained. Would it be worth making a new character over? I don’t even have a mount yet. :v:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
If you haven't played for that long, yes. Though the game still won't really explain anything to you. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
just don't delete your current character so you keep getting new birthday mail every year

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Depends on how much you remember. The vast majority of new stuff is aimed at maxed level characters, so levelling again won't teach you a whole lot more than it did when you last played. Some people recommend even new players boost to 80 and skip the base game entirely anyway. Join the guilds and start asking questions in guild chat and in here and people will help with any particularly confusing bits.

Either way, don't actually delete any old characters, those birthday presents have free dyes and occasionally some other cool stuff.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr. Neutron posted:

If you haven't played for that long, yes. Though the game still won't really explain anything to you. :v:

Good deal! It has to explain at least a little bit more. Right? RIGHT??? :v: Any suggestion on a profession?My current level 80 is an engineer and I’m thinking about going to my GW1 roots and being an elementalist. But necromancer looks near as well

Truga posted:

just don't delete your current character so you keep getting new birthday mail every year

Also good advice!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm biased because elementalist is literally the only class in the game that can hold my interest for more than a week, but also elementalist is the runaway best class by far :v:

you'll also hate anet though because they'll make you work really hard to do anything at all with it

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Good deal! It has to explain at least a little bit more. Right? RIGHT??? :v: Any suggestion on a profession?My current level 80 is an engineer and I’m thinking about going to my GW1 roots and being an elementalist. But necromancer looks near as well

Also good advice!

FWIW Elementalist and Engineer are generally held to be the most complicated and difficult classes in this game, and I should note Ele is pretty different from it’s GW1 incarnation.

Necro on the other hand is generally recommended for beginners. It’s an extremely forgiving class to level and learn on that has some very nice newbie crutches in the form of pets to aggro for you and a whole second health bar and some nice built in sustain. At endgame it has a nice variety of viable builds—variety not just in role but in basic play-style, which is nice. None of them are really top tier and it’s been that way for a while, but a well-played one is always welcome and balance shifts pretty dramatically with patches, generally.

All that being said, Ele is my favorite class and my main so if you find it vibing with you then hell yeah, take obe to 80

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mover posted:

Necro on the other hand is generally recommended for beginners. It’s an extremely forgiving class to level and learn on that has some very nice newbie crutches in the form of pets to aggro for you and a whole second health bar and some nice built in sustain. At endgame it has a nice variety of viable builds—variety not just in role but in basic play-style, which is nice. None of them are really top tier and it’s been that way for a while, but a well-played one is always welcome and balance shifts pretty dramatically with patches, generally.

I mean, Scourge has been pretty broken-overpowered since its release. Heal scourge is the ultimate group carry. It just doesn't neatly fit into the support-heal, support-dps + 3 dps meta group compositions.

But yeah, all professions are viable - you'll have no problem in any of the content in the game if you spec and gear properly and know what you're doing. I'd say elementalist is near the bottom of the pack at the moment, at least in PvE, but that doesn't really matter for anything.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Necro is very forgiving. Base Minion builds, and Scourge Minion builds are both nigh unkillable. Your damage isn't amazing, but you're such a beefy boy that nothing can bother you. It's so reliable in fact, that people afk farm with necro minions.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Condi Reaper puts out a lot of damage and cannot be killed. Exploding ice everywhere!

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
What's a fun and agile thief build for leveling? Don't want to boost, just do adventure guide stuff. At 80 I'll switch to condition P/D to farm up HP, but that doesn't isn't valid until triple stat gear comes into play and there are way too many hearts requiring me to destroy objects in core Tyria.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Doors, the bane of condi builds since 2012.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
good news, in modern content many doors can be burnt down or bled out!
why they do exceptions like this, rather than just change the property for all yellow objects remains a mistery though

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im in the "after doing world completion on a mechanist everything else is just a chore" camp ><

and i need to make my legendaries!

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Luggage posted:

What's a fun and agile thief build for leveling? Don't want to boost, just do adventure guide stuff. At 80 I'll switch to condition P/D to farm up HP, but that doesn't isn't valid until triple stat gear comes into play and there are way too many hearts requiring me to destroy objects in core Tyria.

dagger/dagger shortbow

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Luggage posted:

Dual pistols is pretty silly and does well against the objects that are still immune to conditions. Downside is that it doesn't have any movement skills so you'd have to rely on your other weapon set or utilities to zip around.

As for traits, going down the Trickery line to grab the boons on steal traits is pretty handy. Lets you rip protection off the annoying dredge.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Meskhenet posted:

Im in the "after doing world completion on a mechanist everything else is just a chore" camp ><

and i need to make my legendaries!

Sobering reminder but, there's no sub to this game. If you're feeling like the game has become a chore to play, then take a break. We're in the middle of a long content drought anyways. They've given no roadmap update or set dates for the next Living Story, so the next thing is just SAB in April; you won't miss anything.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The recent content droughts are really one of the most disappointing things to me about the game.

I wasn't playing back then but HoT - S3 - PoF S4 must've been a great time - a new story with a new map, among other things, every couple of months...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just got the urge to start playing again for the first time since before EoD came out and wow Cantha is pretty, and also Virtuoso is real fun. I really wanted to actually play a power build for once but condi Virtuoso is so drat strong and survivable it's hard to justify going power build instead, at least for open world. I imagine it has its benefits in group stuff.

Being a Mesmer is the best though, what a good profession

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

AmbientParadox posted:

Sobering reminder but, there's no sub to this game. If you're feeling like the game has become a chore to play, then take a break. We're in the middle of a long content drought anyways. They've given no roadmap update or set dates for the next Living Story, so the next thing is just SAB in April; you won't miss anything.

I wasnt too clear.

world completion on any other class seems like a chore. Mechanist can just churn through the kill hearts like little else can.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

I wasnt too clear.

world completion on any other class seems like a chore. Mechanist can just churn through the kill hearts like little else can.

I did my first world completion on a pre-HoT Mesmer. No mounts, no faster movement speed from Chronomancer, just intermittent swiftness from Signet of Inspiration. After that, every other spec or profession feels like a vacation :v:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I did it back when you had to complete the WvW maps. :cripes:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Harrow posted:

I just got the urge to start playing again for the first time since before EoD came out and wow Cantha is pretty, and also Virtuoso is real fun. I really wanted to actually play a power build for once but condi Virtuoso is so drat strong and survivable it's hard to justify going power build instead, at least for open world. I imagine it has its benefits in group stuff.

Being a Mesmer is the best though, what a good profession

I want to make an Asura Mesmer because the thought of a goblin magic trickster is very funny to me.

Character slots never go on sale when I want!

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Kassad posted:

I did it back when you had to complete the WvW maps. :cripes:

Yeah that was my first too. That was insane. There is still 1 vista in EBG that i just cant do (bottom left? )

Getting my catmander tag was a nightmare too. I think the top left desert map changed colours about 9 times before i was able to make that jump

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Inzombiac posted:

I want to make an Asura Mesmer because the thought of a goblin magic trickster is very funny to me.

Character slots never go on sale when I want!

They're on sale right now though

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Actuarial Fables posted:

They're on sale right now though

That's not when they want it though.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
So I've been trying to work out "the usual thing" on a daily basis. So far I've got:

Do dailies.
Do EoD dailies.
Do daily T1+rec fractals.
Go hit fireworks to get festival daily.
Pray to the gods that maybe you score a group for a daily strike. If you get groups for both, buy a lottery ticket.
If a group for multiple non-daily strikes happens, go do that.

After that I'm kind of lost. Do ya'll just check the timers and roam the world looking for commander tags to hopefully get in on some metas? Do public strikes ever actually happen?

Meskhenet posted:

While I have appreciated it learning the ropes the pet AI is just dodgy enough that I wish my first character rolled Guardian. I figured I'd see an abundance of Firebrands running around because they're so ridiculous but there's so few of them and so many mechs. Also open world people really, really hate mechs for some reason. Maybe it's a WoW hunter thing.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Lately I've been doing Drizzlewood Coast. But I don't play every day, and I'm mostly just enjoying fighting mobs and getting decent rewards for it, so :shrug:

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Engineer's in a weird spot.

Base engineer kind of sucks rear end and most of the hard stuff you could do with it also sucks rear end but you can get away with a basic flamethrower or bomb kit setup, Power Mechanist is easy, Scrapper is really simple, Power Holosmith is mid level tricky, then Condi Mechanist suddenly goes through the loving roof and to the moon with difficulty (relatively, at least).

Elementalist though is either fire only and is pretty simple or you go john loving madden and its stupidly busy and hard.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Mailer posted:

So I've been trying to work out "the usual thing" on a daily basis. So far I've got:

Do dailies.
Do EoD dailies.
Do daily T1+rec fractals.
Go hit fireworks to get festival daily.
Pray to the gods that maybe you score a group for a daily strike. If you get groups for both, buy a lottery ticket.
If a group for multiple non-daily strikes happens, go do that.

After that I'm kind of lost. Do ya'll just check the timers and roam the world looking for commander tags to hopefully get in on some metas? Do public strikes ever actually happen?

You might consider grabbing the World Boss Portal Device from the gem store. It's a free teleport to whichever world boss events are about to start, so there's always a thing to do.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

I did my first world completion on a pre-HoT Mesmer. No mounts, no faster movement speed from Chronomancer, just intermittent swiftness from Signet of Inspiration. After that, every other spec or profession feels like a vacation :v:

This is why both my elementalist and warrior were my most played and only 100% world completions, they could just spam skills to get across the map and elementalist could even cheese their way into places they shouldn't be because of lightning rush and the underwater air bubble teleport that used to persist above the water level and get you into all sorts of places that you shouldn't be, like getting into the green keep in ebg in wvw, or the end chest at the puzzle in bloodtide coast south of lion's arch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Here's a list of daily stuff organized by minmaxing nerds: https://fast.farming-community.eu/farming/daily