Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have noted that he has a decline/insecurity story going into a major show a week in his home town, a week after a ppv, but that might just be the same kind of wolf tickets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

CommonShore posted:

wolf tickets

I learned a new phrase today :eng101:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Kvlt! posted:

my friends and i were watching old wwf and were talking: was Dead Man era Taker a babyface or a heel? He was generally portrayed as a "bad guy" and Paul Bearer did heel stuff like interference in a match. But he was also wildly over and the crowd always cheered him on. He said heel, I argued babyface, he argued heel

Or is a pointless argument because the babyface/heel thing wasn't as prominent in WWF like it was in the territory days
Undertaker was getting cheered before it happened, but in February 1992 (so like ~14 months after he debuted) they did a weird halfway worked-shoot angle where Undertaker stopped Jake Roberts from sneak attacking Savage and Elizabeth, turning him babyface. He'd stay solidly babyface for another 5-6 years until the Attitude Era, where he'd pinball around Crash TV style between babyface and heel, but that was solidly post "Deadman Era".

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ive always felt attitude undertaker could never be a proper heel the crowd booed because the stuff he ended up doing was either so ridiculously evil it turned around to hilarity such as kidnapping stephanie, generally foiled such as trying to sacrifice stone cold, or the people he did actual significant stuff to where jobbers or people didnt really care about.

I think this lasts until biker taker when he made JR kiss rear end or beat the absolute poo poo out of the hardys.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I think the period where he was IN CAHOOTS with Kane and/or Vince McMahon and loving with Stone Cold had some semi-effective heeling (or at least it got the audience booing him at points), then you had Ministry of Darkness/Long Motorcycle Soliloquy Undertaker in 1999 which was mostly funny as you pointed out, and yeah, while "Big Evil, Big Dog" short haired Bikertaker had a lot of dumb poo poo going on, at least he turned into a decent heel.

Was Undertaker ever really a heel from like 2004 until he retired? I guess there was whatever summer he revealed Brock Lesnar's secret vulnerability to dick punches?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
He was subtlety the heel in his second WrestleMania match against Shawn Michaels but it was because fighting Undertaker at WM had a fighting force-of-nature Galactus kinda energy.

I thought he acted heelish in his No Way Out match against Kurt Angle, and I'm sure he must have been sorta heel in his 2007 feud against Batista.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The Big Evil stuff was so ill-fated. When he first went back to the Deadman gimmick after American Badass I was like "no way this will ever work, you can't go back now dude" but I was wrong. He was probably MORE over the second stint as the Undertaker.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The Big Evil stuff was so ill-fated. When he first went back to the Deadman gimmick after American Badass I was like "no way this will ever work, you can't go back now dude" but I was wrong. He was probably MORE over the second stint as the Undertaker.

It is remarkable. I heard Undertaker was planning on retiring in '99 (terrible knees) yet somehow he would go on to have all his best WM matches well after this.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Who was actually supposed to win that Rumble where Batista and Cena botched the ending?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Probably the guy who went on to win the match anyway like a minute later

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

History Comes Inside! posted:

Probably the guy who went on to win the match anyway like a minute later

I have no recollection of what even happened next. That era of WWE is like a blind spot for me and I just saw someone post a random gif of the botch itself, but none of the aftermath. I couldn't remember if it ended up like the Bret/Luger finish.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Vince exploded his legs and made them restart the match for a quick spinebuster and Batista wins.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

History Comes Inside! posted:

Vince exploded his legs and made them restart the match for a quick spinebuster and Batista wins.
There was also a few minutes of RAW and Smackdown refs arguing while Cena and Batista kept throwing each other out. I think Vince came out after that.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Thanks! I remember the legs exploding but nothing after that. I wonder what was supposed to happen there; Batista goes for the Batista Bomb and loses his balance, stumbles back, and they both just flop to the floor. I wonder if that powerbomb was supposed to go off without a hitch or get countered into something else. Really just kind of spectacular that it wasn't planned because it was pretty god drat smooth for being a massive botch.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Batista was supposed to not fall out of the ring but he didn’t grab the ropes and just ate poo poo instead, iirc.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
What do you think is WWEs worst era? I'm in 98 now on rewatches but I started at 95 and it's crazy how bad it was in 95. I always thought this now is the worst era of WWE but now that I've seen it 95 was much worse in my opinion.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

right now lol, at least in 95 you could see cool talent even with lovely booking/storylines

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

right now lol, at least in 95 you could see cool talent even with lovely booking/storylines
boss i scrolled down the main events listed on this page

https://prowrestling.fandom.com/wiki/1995_List_of_Monday_Night_RAW_results

and you’re out of your mind if you think modern WWE has less “cool talent” than half of the poo poo that passed for a main event in 1995

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

the last 5 or 6 years is by far the worst wwe has ever been. angles/storylines that either never end or abruptly end with no payoff, the same two people wrestling 15 times in a 2 month span, and best of all, theres like 6 hours a week of it. Thank you vince.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Kvlt! posted:

Your mileage may vary but in the last five Raws of December 1994/January 1995 you had matches featuring:

Chris Avery, Bob Backlund, Nick Barberry, Mike Bell, Bam Bam Bigelow, British Bulldog, the Brooklyn Brawler, King Kong Bundy, The Bushwhackers, Doink The Clown II, Duke Droese, Howard Finkel, Henry Godwinn, Hakushi, Matt Hardy, Owen Hart, Bob Holly, IRS, Jeff Jarrett, Chris Kanyon(??), Mike Khoury, Bob Knight, Kwang, Lex Luger, Rich Meyers, Aldo Montoya, Jim Neidhart, Buck Quartermaine, Roy Raymond, Razor Ramon, Gary Sabaugh, the Smoking Gunns, Mark Starr, Tatanka, Undertaker, Well Dunn, and Harvey Wippleman.

The last five Raws of the modern era have had matches featuring:

Cedric Alexander, Mustafa Ali, Alpha Academy, Asuka, Finn Balor, Bayley, Bianca Belair, Shelton Benjamin, Alexa Bliss, Baron Corbin, Nikki Cross, Elias, the Good Brothers, Dakota Kai, Candice Larae, Bobby Lashley, Dexter Loomis, Becky Lynch, The Miz, Dominik Mysterio, Kevin Owens, Damian Priest, Matt Riddle, Rhea Ripley, Seth Rollins, Solo Sikoa, IYO Sky, Street Profits, AJ Styles, Austin Theory, Akira Tozawa, the Usos, Mia Yim, Sami Zayn, and Dolph Ziggler.

lovely booking/storylines are a given for both eras, and I have no desire to revisit either, but in terms of "cool talent" I feel like today has a huge leg up on 1995.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

lovely booking/storylines are a given for both eras, and I have no desire to revisit either, but in terms of "cool talent" I feel like today has a huge leg up on 1995.

I think it just comes down to personal preference bc while theres a lot of great (and awful) ppl in both, 95 has a huge leg up imo.

edit: it may also be bc im in my early 20s so the 90s roster has a lot of people I never got to see live or saw long after their peak so have that kinda "old school cool" factor to me.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 16, 2023

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I think the worst era was the 2010-2012 period where it was all guest hosts and heel Cole. I honestly don’t watch enough to know if modern stuff is worse.

Edge & Christian posted:

Your mileage may vary but in the last five Raws of December 1994/January 1995 you had matches featuring:

Chris Avery, Bob Backlund, Nick Barberry, Mike Bell, Bam Bam Bigelow, British Bulldog, the Brooklyn Brawler, King Kong Bundy, The Bushwhackers, Doink The Clown II, Duke Droese, Howard Finkel, Henry Godwinn, Hakushi, Matt Hardy, Owen Hart, Bob Holly, IRS, Jeff Jarrett, Chris Kanyon(??), Mike Khoury, Bob Knight, Kwang, Lex Luger, Rich Meyers, Aldo Montoya, Jim Neidhart, Buck Quartermaine, Roy Raymond, Razor Ramon, Gary Sabaugh, the Smoking Gunns, Mark Starr, Tatanka, Undertaker, Well Dunn, and Harvey Wippleman.

I miss those days.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'd rather watch Logan Paul in an iron man match then watch British Bulldog vs Kwang or whatever.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

New Generation was bad because the talent wasn’t great plus mediocre Vince booking.

2009-11 HD era was bad because *Orton & Cena vs Entire Raw Roster dot JPG* and mediocre talent.

I stopped watching WWE in like 2018 because the booking and writing was loving awful and wasting the careers of very good talent, and there’s nothing I’ve seen to suggest that’s changed. Just watch AEW, NJPW or Anything Else instead.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Sometimes it's fun to watch the old wrestling where everyone just looked like a high school football coach or whatever.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

95 had lower lows but had some highs whereas the last few years have been just consistently bland at best and it just ends up being more soul crushing. Plus you still have terrible stuff like Alexa Bliss' blinking doll.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nativity In Black posted:

Sometimes it's fun to watch the old wrestling where everyone just looked like a high school football coach or whatever.

Arn Anderson is peak Wrestler Body, more of that please.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Arn Anderson is peak Wrestler Body, more of that please.

My favorite guy for that is Eric Embry. We have almost the same body type but he could talk and wrestle like crazy.

The champ is probably Buddy Rose during his 'I worked hard for this body' when he was shaped like a pear but could still do kip ups and one-armed pushups.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SatoshiMiwa posted:

95 had lower lows but had some highs whereas the last few years have been just consistently bland at best and it just ends up being more soul crushing. Plus you still have terrible stuff like Alexa Bliss' blinking doll.

The Sheamus Gunther match alone was better than almost everything in 95 WWF.

If I had to, at gunpoint, watch Raw in 2023 or 1995 then I pick 95 because the shows are only 1 hour long & with those extra 2 hours I could watch almost entire show from a company I actually care about, but 1995 doesn't really have much worth revisiting. Ilja Dragunov probably had as many matches worth watching in 2022 as anyone not named Bret Hart in '95

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
95 had a Bret/Bulldog match and two good Shawn Michaels matches. That's it.

Although I do have a weird kind of nostalgia for WWF from 94-97 because I didn't see any of it. I had to keep track of it through magazines and playground gossip. I like looking back on it, even if it's terrible. I absolutely could not sit through an episode of modern day Raw or SmackDown though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kosmo Gallion posted:

95 had a Bret/Bulldog match and two good Shawn Michaels matches. That's it.

Although I do have a weird kind of nostalgia for WWF from 94-97 because I didn't see any of it. I had to keep track of it through magazines and playground gossip. I like looking back on it, even if it's terrible. I absolutely could not sit through an episode of modern day Raw or SmackDown though.

The weird PCO & Hakushi Bret matches were good, & Hakushi vs Waltman at Summerslam. Definitely not much else. And there was a good Bret Diesel match

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The Smoking Gunns and Razor/Kid had a few decent matches and Candido/Horowitz was good as well. 1995 had a talented roster but the booking is an example of doing the least with the most.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah the match quality probably is better the last few years than in 95 but also as forkboy84 said Raw and Smackdown alone are 5 hours which makes it worse in my opinion

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I think what gets lost a ton about wrestling then is on tv you never even see the bigger/better stars. You see Lex Luther vs Mantaur or Tanaka vs Guy with a singlet over a shirt until the PPVs.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Lex Luther vs Mantaur

I always marked out for the Legion of Doom.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I think what gets lost a ton about wrestling then is on tv you never even see the bigger/better stars. You see Lex Luther vs Mantaur or Tanaka vs Guy with a singlet over a shirt until the PPVs.

i mean its not just then its not like you see Roman Reigns wrestle outside of PPVs nowadays

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Gavok posted:

What a rush

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Kvlt! posted:

i mean its not just then its not like you see Roman Reigns wrestle outside of PPVs nowadays
Roman's a bit of an exception, as of course as are Goldberg, Brock Lesnar, etc. But outside of them, most main event/upper midcarders (without serious injuries) average 20-30 matches on TV a year, some even more; for instance Kevin Owens wrestled 28 TV matches in 2022, all of them against other non-enhancement talent, though I guess you could argue Ezekiel should count. But the point is, Kevin Owens had lengthy singles matches on free TV in 2022 against Damian Priest, Cody Rhodes, Seth Rollins, Drew McIntyre, Jey Uso, Chad Gable, etc. and also had tag matches against other upper carders. Styles had 33, Rollins had 29, Zayn 28, Drew 27, etc. etc.

The Other Owen (Hart) was one of the workhorses of 1995 Raw, and he had 21 matches on the show that year. Some of them were 'real' matches against Bret, Razor, and Michaels, but many of them had him facing off against a baby Jeff Hardy, Gus Kantarakis, Jim Dimitri, Nick Barberi, Larry Santo, etc.

Other big cool names from 1995 WWF didn't even hit double digits for appearances on Raw (Bret, Shawn, and Undertaker all did between 7 and 9 matches) and most recognizable names settled in with a number in the teens, inclusive of the jobber matches.

You can argue the pros and cons of 'protecting' your stars but anyone under fifty not named Roman Reigns and who has never held a UFC belt is wrestling significantly more often in real matches on TV now than 1995. Hell, even Ronda wrestled 15 TV matches in 2022, more than most New Generation stars.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 17, 2023

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Gavok posted:

Wrestling needs more Legion of Doom style stables. Just give me all the heels, no matter how disparate, teaming up to whoop some babyface butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sandman McMahon posted:

Wrestling needs more Legion of Doom style stables. Just give me all the heels, no matter how disparate, teaming up to whoop some babyface butt.

Yea, it's a thing in wrestling that kinda never made sense to me that relationships in wrestling don't really seem to be carried on all that much.

Say you have a heel who has been cheating to win or a dominant heel stable who continually does run ins NWO style, why do the people who have been dunked on in such a way not do anything about it? Like everyone MJF ever hits with a diamond ring start coming out to try to intercept him from doing it to someone else. Yea, yea, I know writers convenience, but in a world where referee's are blind and somewhat incompetent it seems like other wrestlers would try to do something about the one rear end in a top hat stable/person cheating all the time.