Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Menu being adjacent to rich snobs seems to really get a small subset of "gotcha" guys worked up. They think solved some riddle no that one else did about it not being as profound as it thinks it is, while all of the sheeple think it's a really important political statement or something. It's just a fun comedy horror B movie making GBS threads on pretentious dorks. Ralph Fiennes being a pos is fine because he is the goddamn villain. Tbh every bad take I have read from ShoogaSlim on it makes me think he'd be a perfect candidate as a S'more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
the menu is cool because it's funny and rich people die

ok so when is the last of us season 1 finale coming out so i can start watching it?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

edit: ^^^ i rest my case loving lol
double edit: also perfect username post combo for both statements made holy poo poo lmao

veni veni veni posted:

The Menu being adjacent to rich snobs seems to really get a small subset of "gotcha" guys worked up. They think solved some riddle no that one else did about it not being as profound as it thinks it is, while all of the sheeple think it's a really important political statement or something. It's just a fun comedy horror B movie making GBS threads on pretentious dorks. Ralph Fiennes being a pos is fine because he is the goddamn villain. Tbh every bad take I have read from ShoogaSlim on it makes me think he'd be a perfect candidate as a S'more.

8k+ people on letterboxd seem to disagree with you

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love how when you don't like something or are challenged in any way you have the demeanor of someone who just ran out of a burning building lol.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

I think this would be more compelling if literally a single person in the film was eaten.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A gazillion people would rate any given marvel movie 5 stars and I'd rather go to a funeral for someone I know than watch any of them

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

People like that review because it’s pithy and funny you loving moron.

The Menu works because it’s biting satire, and one of the reasons it’s less horror and more comedy is that it’s a bunch of rich assholes the audience wants to get comeuppance.

I’m sorry the movie hit so close to home, do you want to just drop us a link to your Instagram of food pictures or what.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
last of us is real good

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The menu is easily the best movie since maybe dredd.

Obviously a reference to French aristocracy, a guillotine, and super large bread.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

They think solved some riddle no that one else did about it not being as profound as it thinks it is

Am I having a stroke

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Am I having a stroke
Why you not read able it seem normal me?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The menu is easily the best movie since maybe dredd.

Wut. No. Dredd stands alone

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ShoogaSlim posted:

Lol are you really gonna post a random letterboxd one-liner as a counterpoint

Are we doing YouTube comments next

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Does anyone have any issues with prime channels not showing up? On our chromecast and TV app both, they don't show us having the discovery subscription. But my wife can go on her phone and pull up something from the subscription no problem. It's a very weird issue I haven't encountered before and can't find out why it's happening.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Wolfsheim posted:

Lol are you really gonna post a random letterboxd one-liner as a counterpoint

Are we doing YouTube comments next

it's just pretty easy to refute the unsubstantiated claim that "nobody thinks the menu is about rich people" lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Am I having a stroke
Nah I think the poster you're responding to is having a stroke if you know what I mean

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nah no protesters got ran over in the film

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I just thought it was really funny, like when the food critic is served a giant bowl of broken emulsion , or Tyler fucks up badly when given an opportunity to cook his best dish in the kitchen .

edit: Spoiler tagged, sorry.

Rental Sting fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 16, 2023

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The ingredients popping up on screen for the hosed up stuff has me rolling

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
guess we're not doing menu spoilers anymore

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

Am I having a stroke

No I just don’t write gud. Just imagine some punctuation in there

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I thought The Last of Us was fine, I was somewhat perplexed that they almost went 1:1 with the show and the beginning of the game, but the game is excellent.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My God this week's Paul T Goldman Good news! Quibi is interested in picking it up!

The director in the show is the most patient human being on earth

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Field Mousepad posted:

The ingredients popping up on screen for the hosed up stuff has me rolling
The special reward one really got me. Sure it was a kind of incoherent muddled film but I found it really entertaining. You can't expect too much of these movies, Glass Onion, Triangle of Sadness, etc.
See Tar bringing facebook meme/Ben Shapiro dunks on college student discourse to life.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Name Change posted:

I thought The Last of Us was fine, I was somewhat perplexed that they almost went 1:1 with the show and the beginning of the game, but the game is excellent.

See now this is what I was worried would happen but imo aside from the few scenes that they did do 1:1 shot recreations of, there was enough difference in details to keep me happy

I want more of the scientist guy from the intro though

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve never played a second of the games, so I enjoyed the premiere. It was obvious something bad was going to happen to Pedro’s kid, but the show made it genuinely tense in the lead up to it.

I’m completely burnt out on zombie stuff in general, but I’m hoping there’s enough unique aspects to this to keep it fresh.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

precision posted:

See now this is what I was worried would happen but imo aside from the few scenes that they did do 1:1 shot recreations of, there was enough difference in details to keep me happy

I want more of the scientist guy from the intro though

I feel like there has to be more coming with the scientists, because the one who didn’t talk much was Christopher Heyerdahl who I immediately recognized from Hell on Wheels and Peacemaker, and thought it was weird to hire him to just sit there barely saying anything

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It was the first ten minutes of the first episode of a highly anticipated HBO show, you could sell that gig to a bunch of actors.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

smackfu posted:

It was the first ten minutes of the first episode of a highly anticipated HBO show, you could sell that gig to a bunch of actors.

Yeah maybe it was originally a longer scene that got cut down too. From a production standpoint though he seems like the kind of actor who isn’t well known enough for a cameo appearance but has enough experience that you wouldn’t hire him to be a featured extra. It just feels like he’ll be back in some way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Deadite posted:

I feel like there has to be more coming with the scientists, because the one who didn’t talk much was Christopher Heyerdahl who I immediately recognized from Hell on Wheels and Peacemaker, and thought it was weird to hire him to just sit there barely saying anything

Yeah I mean I hope at least it just keeps cutting back to the same interview or like a followup appearance those guys make

I wanna see more of the actual poo poo-fan stuff, and so far that's what they've done, so

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i was under the impression that one intro scene was just to tell non video game fans that this isn't about zombies it's about something else that's kinda like zombies but it's not zombies so don't feel burned out bc this is totally different we swear!

and then never cut back to it again. like what's the point? it's literally just exposition. it was the worst part of the episode by far.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
TLOU was magnificent

I was really down on the actress playing Ellie when I saw the previews, but she's really good. Can't expect everyone to look like their game counterpart.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Paul T. Goldman is one of the oddest shows I've ever seen. It's like a Charlie Kaufman project if Neil Breen wrote the script

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

i was under the impression that one intro scene was just to tell non video game fans that this isn't about zombies it's about something else that's kinda like zombies but it's not zombies so don't feel burned out bc this is totally different we swear!

and then never cut back to it again. like what's the point? it's literally just exposition. it was the worst part of the episode by far.

This one we agree on. That whole scene felt like the show really wanted to ram home that it wasn't zombies even though it is. Otherwise loved it, but that whole segment could have been cut because it made the show feel like it lacked confidence at the start.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znsa4Deavgg

Season 3 of The Mandalorian starts March 1st on Disney Plus. I think that since Disney bought Lucasfilm, the only things that they've done right with the Star Wars IP have been Rogue One, Andor, The Mandalorian, and the final season of The Clone Wars. It's been a complete mess otherwise, including The Book of Boba Fett. It's no surprise that the only good episode of TBOBF was the one focusing on Din, Ahsoka, and Grogu. This is looking pretty great, with what seems like an appearance by the only good thing to come out of Episode 9, Babu Frik!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znsa4Deavgg

Season 3 of The Mandalorian starts March 1st on Disney Plus. I think that since Disney bought Lucasfilm, the only things that they've done right with the Star Wars IP have been Rogue One, Andor, The Mandalorian, and the final season of The Clone Wars. It's been a complete mess otherwise, including The Book of Boba Fett. It's no surprise that the only good episode of TBOBF was the one focusing on Din, Ahsoka, and Grogu. This is looking pretty great, with what seems like an appearance by the only good thing to come out of Episode 9, Babu Frik!

s1 of the Mandalorian is probably the best Star Wars thing since 1983

s2 is mostly quite terrible, though not as bad as Boba Fett Has a Show, which is basically all the terrible parts of s2 squared.

Andor is currently the best Star Wars thing.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I haven’t played The Last of Us but I heard a piece about the show on the radio. Isn’t the apocalypse premise almost the same as The Girl with All the Gifts?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

david_a posted:

I haven’t played The Last of Us but I heard a piece about the show on the radio. Isn’t the apocalypse premise almost the same as The Girl with All the Gifts?

Never heard of that book or movie, but the book that the movie is based upon came out one year after The Last of Us. So it's likely entirely coincidental given how long AAA games take to develop these days.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

They both involve post-apocalyptic fungus zombies, but the tone of Girl with all the Gifts is a lot different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

david_a posted:

The GWATG movie that came out like 4 years after TLOU borrows heavily from imagery in the game to put it nicely. I don't know how the game lines up with the book or if the story similarities were coincidental, but the people who made the movie clearly played the game and used it as a basis for the look of the movie.

Nothing quite to the degree of Gaia straight wholesale ripping off clickers though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FmypVDNnWk&t=2s

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 17, 2023