Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I like some of the AC games, but they're about as far removed from the Dishonoreds as you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I like some of the AC games, but they're about as far removed from the Dishonoreds as you can get.

:hmmyes:

I saw a preview for AC3 and wanted to play it but being a grognard completionsist I had to play 1 and 2. 1 was okay, 2 is actually a series of three games that really captured me with Ezio's story. 80 hours later I finally started AC3 and hated it. Havent played any AC games since. Roll on snaredrum.

The point of this pointless story though is that Dishonored is better than the AC games by a country mile. I hear Odyssey is good, but the AC formula ran out of gas very quickly for me.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Eason the Fifth posted:

:hmmyes:

I saw a preview for AC3 and wanted to play it but being a grognard completionsist I had to play 1 and 2. 1 was okay, 2 is actually a series of three games that really captured me with Ezio's story. 80 hours later I finally started AC3 and hated it. Havent played any AC games since. Roll on snaredrum.

The point of this pointless story though is that Dishonored is better than the AC games by a country mile. I hear Odyssey is good, but the AC formula ran out of gas very quickly for me.

Odyssey is definitely the best of the ones I played; in no small part due to it being largely removed from the terrible Assassins vs Templars overarching plot, and having a very likable lead character in Kassandra (don't play as Alexios). The combat got a shot in the arm from the soft reboot in the previous Origins (which is pretty good too).

Arkane's games are a league or two above though, not least because Imsims are objectively the best genre :colbert:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Prey was such a sweet spot for me in terms of Arkane gameplay flow design.

Dishonored had its level-puzzles and audacious, flashy set pieces, but every single room had like 13 small cupboards in which to find copper shillings and it drove me insane. Deathloop had essentially no level / systems interaction beyond mechanical security systems, but they either got help on gunplay design from ID folks or they were very quick studies (and based on that alone I’m really curious abt Redfall). Prey has elaborate levels and superpowers but is less fiddly than Dishonored by a mile.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Odyssey is definitely the best of the ones I played; in no small part due to it being largely removed from the terrible Assassins vs Templars overarching plot, and having a very likable lead character in Kassandra (don't play as Alexios). The combat got a shot in the arm from the soft reboot in the previous Origins (which is pretty good too).

Arkane's games are a league or two above though, not least because Imsims are objectively the best genre :colbert:

Odyssey is the only one I've played and I actually enjoyed it for quite a while, but not long enough to actually finish it, which is rare for me. It was just so interminably long that I was well and truly over the gameplay loop before actually getting to the end. It's certainly no Dishonored/Prey/any other immsim, many of which I've played through several times and will likely do so again, unlike AC which I can't see myself ever reinstalling and finishing let alone playing any other installments of.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

how's gloomwood coming along?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the first chunk they released is a solid start but i can't really recommend playing it in early access, there are loose ends in the current content that are unsolvable without backtracking from areas that haven't been implemented yet and that's just frustrating

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
Prey is on sale this weekend on Steam- finally picked it up after playing a bit on Xbox One a couple years ago. Now to download 46gb...

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The Steam Deck is finally getting me to play Mooncrash. it's good!

I think the dlc never felt quite right for me as something you had to sit down at the computer for.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Is there a generalized ImSim thread? I cant find on...um, in the thread index?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Anybody try ctrl alt ego? It's supposed to be the immsimmiest immsim there is.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Is there a generalized ImSim thread? I cant find on...um, in the thread index?

I don't think so. But since we're using this, there was an interesting detail in the recent Arkane Q&A: In its earliest iteration, Dishonored was pitched as an official Thief sequel, but they couldn't close a deal with Edos/Square Enix.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Is it wrong to say I'm happy that they didn't get the IP? Dishonored is its own thing and it's frankly great in its own way. Yeah it's thiefy, but it's also distinct in a lot of interesting ways.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
For me, I kinda wish they did because at least IMO Arkane's games always seem to have the (appropriately enough) shadow of Thief looming over them.

Like don't get me wrong, I like Dishonored's distinct identity too, but it also always felt like it got bogged down by trying to be more like Thief even when it wasn't all that fitting.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I'd really like to play an Arkane Thief game. Dishonored is amazing, but I'd love to see them have a go at it. Focusing on thievery, looting and non-lethality. A current-gen graphics version of the Thief setting would be incredible too.

I'm such a sucker for Thief that I even thought Thi4f was alright.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I mean, by dishonored2 they've got Steven Russel as Corvo. What else do you want? :v:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Eason the Fifth posted:

It's got a pretty dang big demo on steam, go check it out!

I liked it. A bit janky, but in a good way. Though it sorta fell into my backlog, so treat that as more of a first impression than a real review.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/EpicMcDude/status/1614322374240763904?t=mutMGOlo4h1X_g06i54x7w&s=19

Looks cool

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah it does. I've wanted a game where you break stuff and use the debris organically for a long time. I know there are others that do this, but nothing that looked like it was doing it in a simmy kinda way.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Hey look its Abe Ghiran

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I would play the poo poo out of an HD remake VR Prey.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Prey still looks pretty drat good, not sure it needs HDing. VR though, yeah. I haven't tried the prophunt game mode for VR that they made, but it seems like that means it should be possible.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

VR immersive sims should be like peanut and jelly, it's obscene there has so far only been one example; Walking Dead Saints & Sinners and it's imsim status is marginal (though it's still great).

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Eason the Fifth posted:

I just finished this. It botches the ending a little (too much "sorry this is a bit janky" knowing-British-self-deprecation. Have confidence in your work, man) but the penultimate level - a big multilevel building you can attack in loads of different ways now you're powered up - was great. And the demo is massive, yes.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

VR immersive sims should be like peanut and jelly, it's obscene there has so far only been one example; Walking Dead Saints & Sinners and it's imsim status is marginal (though it's still great).

OG System Shock supported VR! Hasn't been ported to any of the modern HMDs though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

ToxicFrog posted:

OG System Shock supported VR! Hasn't been ported to any of the modern HMDs though.

I'm pretty sure being able to see behind you in real time in System Shock VR will make your head explode like that bit in Scanners.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bogart posted:

I'm pretty sure being able to see behind you in real time in System Shock VR will make your head explode like that bit in Scanners.

Is this why nobody uses their goddamn rearview mirrors?

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
As someone who had 100%-ed all Dishonoreds + DLCs and Prey. They are awesome all. What's truly nice about Prey though is that it's ok to murder all the Typhons. It was so liberating.

Have Ghost and Clean Hands in the Dishonoreds but they really shine when you get to break them with murderous combos of runes and skills.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Lt. Danger posted:

I mean nobody is requiring developers to put poorly thought-out any achievements in their games and yet they still do it??

humans are perverse

I'm late to this party, but you are wrong. Microsoft, at least, explicitly require you to put achievements in any title you publish on Xbox.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

I'm late to this party, but you are wrong. Microsoft, at least, explicitly require you to put achievements in any title you publish on Xbox.

I would have one and just call it "you bought an xbox"

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The System Shock remake is out, and it's pretty fantastic.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Meanwhile Jason Schrieir got scoops, as we all expected we would, regarding REDFALL — Zenimax indeed put the hammer down after PREY’s underperformance, mandating a multiplayer game, and a whopping 70% (!) of the devs who were on Prey ended up leaving during Redfall development.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Looking Glass: :rip:

Ion Storm :rip:

Irrational Games :rip:

Arkane :rip:

:negative:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

oh man that sucks :(

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Well gently caress.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The writing was on the wall when Colantonio left/was forced out. He gave the boilerplate "Spend more time with my family, less time making games" statement then immediately founded a new studio to make games, which is not what a person who is leaving the profession behind does. I'd guess he was pushed out by Zenimax.

While I doubt Prey was ever going to be a mega hit, the irony is that I think it could have done well but the marketing for the game was non-existent and the really stupid naming decision hosed the game over, hard. But these were decisions made by Zenimax, so in the end they made a mistake then punished the studio for it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
That's the article, in case you want to read it for yourselves.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-06-01/arcane-s-redfall-misfire-for-xbox-panned-after-7-5-billion-microsoft-deal

It's a shame, but the writing was on the wall. Dishonored 2 didn't come together was well as the first one, and then Prey wasn't a success. Deathloop was stylish and fun, but was already lacking depth.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The ironic thing is there is a recent single player story driven immersive sim with logical but complex systems based interactions that was beloved by everyone, sold a bajillion copies, and just released a sequel that will also sell a bajillion copies.

Zelda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

congrats to the suits on pivoting a commercially unsuccessful singleplayer studio into making an even less successful live service game

these are current numbers, more people are playing prey than redfall today