Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

How puggable are the Unreals? The corgi is calling to me.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's possible that prices are higher since then, but last time I checked topsoil prices 2000 poetics translated to less than 20k gil, which isn't even worth the time to run around and exchange all of the stuff. You are probably better off buying ShB gear and turning it into GC seals for lootboxes if you want money.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/WhyMaige/status/1614935769583595521?t=3OP4SAU1LdsnMZHaMVPWoA&s=19

CobiWann posted:

Don’t you have to be in an FC for 30 days to be able to bid?

I believe so, I just know what the party finder groups were listing

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Dareon posted:

What gets you comms, in increasing order of importance:
-Mechanical skill
-Engagement and banter
-Style
This is why explaining you're way better at the game than everyone else, in a very cool and casual way, is the best way to earn all the comms

Zaggitz posted:

Unreals are weird because you get a lot of randoms trying this content without any real clue about what's going on or what the difficulty is supposed to be. Ultimately it's just an old extreme trial, so very puggable, but the earlier you get a clear in the better because that [Duty Complete] requirement will help a lot as weeks go by

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hat trick.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SirPhoebos posted:

I wasn't aware trading for topsoil was an option. Which vendor do I talk to for that?
For all your future needs, Teamcraft has a page that lists all options for every currency, sortable by market board price and it sometimes also tells you where to make the trades if you click through on the item details (the "i" button)

(it still will get it "wrong" because stuff like orchestrion rolls that sell once a week are not your best bet, but it's super good at just telling you what's what

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zaggitz posted:

They're basically around minimum ilvl extremes, but using Heavensward era mechanics so there's a bit of jank. Sophia is imo on the easier end if you have someone showing safespots or do callouts, but it will take an earnest learning attempt if not. There are about 500 opportunities to instantly die in the fight, so it can swing very fast with a few mistakes.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also Sophia was from the days before you could get rezzed after being knocked off the edge right?

Being able to recover from that failure is a huge shakeup to the overall balance of that fight and tbh I'd call it pretty easy now.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think Sophia was the first boss you could res after a drop.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oh huh, weird. I'll always remember that I barely learned Sophia Ex the first time around, because I'm pretty sure the mount dropped on my first or second clear of it and I won it against the entire party's rolls with a 64 somehow.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I loved that fight when it came it. It has such a nice cadence and flow to it. Did it well over 150 times in heavensward so this time I'll actually be doing the weekly unreals.

Tank swaps are fun in it now. Heavensward wasn't built around shirk, so the tank swaps come faster than shirk's cooldown. Have to stance dance old school for some of them, or invuln/heavy mit the right ones that are close enough to a scale/teleport to stop the autoattacks.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

What's the current consensus on the best way to spend Poetics when you have everything at max lvl?

Idyllshire, unid ore, trade in for Than soil and sell. Especially with the new housing and people wanting garden plots trying out the crossbreed system.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think Sophia was the first boss you could res after a drop.

yep

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Finished 3.0.

In a msq with a lot of good moments, the one at the absolute end of the final boss fight where, upon realising he's lost, Thordan just thrashes around the place like a child having been told off, was just the best given everything he had put us through.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Dareon posted:

What gets you comms, in increasing order of importance:
-Mechanical skill
-Engagement and banter
-Style

-Funny/memorable name

I guess that's style but let me tell you Pepperoni Stromboli has received 1500 comms despite being a DPS and only a middling player

food names in particular are very good because you capture the hungry crowd with no effort, i get like 10-15 whispers a week lmao

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Unless you're noticeably bad my comms go to the dps if im dps, the healer if I'm tanking or to no one if I'm healing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Did the trial the other day with a premade party of 6 as Bard the other day and got both comms. Guess my portrait was just that good.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i comms whoever was best (healer doing a bunch of dps and keeping everyone alive, tank rotating mits well, dps blowing everyone out of the water, etc). if everyone kind of sucks but you're ranged dps and you do an lb on trash, instant comms. if everyone was good, i comms dps if im dps, another healer or tank if im healing, healer if im tank

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I just pick someone random from the list to commend if nobody stood out as great.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Commendations go to the best portrait. The true endgame is fashion, after all.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Best portrait, or tank/healer if no one has one. DPS if they do something that makes them stand out. That's my comm logic these days.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd say portraits could influence who gets it, but the portrait system breaks so often and so easily I don't hold dmv portraits against anyone.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I'd say portraits could influence who gets it, but the portrait system breaks so often and so easily I don't hold dmv portraits against anyone.

they're so easy to break that i assume the majority of dmv portraits are because of that. maybe when they're less brittle i'll give a drat when it's comms time

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I think it's funny that female au'ra's default portrait is, like, a bit off center compared to everyone else.

like for real whats going on here

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

I have gone into dungeons so many times since patch day and seen my portrait turned back to dmv portrait and everytime I'm just like NO. NO!!

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I guess I've been lucky so far, I don't think I've ever noticed my portrait breaking when I enter a duty. I have once entered one on a job I hadn't set a portrait for and quickly lamented that fact in party chat.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm not even sure how portraits work, do you need one for every single class? i made a boss one with the demon caster hat, but it didn't show up in the one duty i did as DNC, and that's hosed up lol

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Each class has its own portrait and if anything you're wearing changes its back to the DMV.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I spent more energy on keeping my portraits working than any single other in game activity last week. Not sure that's sustainable, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Specifically each GEARSET has its own portrait. Have two for the same job? Two portraits to set.

And this is where some of the breaking can come in. When you look at a portrait in the menu it shows the look of the gearset it's assigned to (this is why you can look at/adjust portraits for your non-current job). If you equipped a new piece, or twiddled the visor, and didn't hit the "update" button on your character panel, you won't know there's an issue right away. Instead you join a dungeon, the game says "I have no picture for the gear this person is wearing, break!"

The edge cases tend to relate to that. If you remove showing your helm, and then put it back, it SHOULD know nothing's changed. And sometimes it does, but sometimes it breaks. Tied gear directly to a glamor plate (for multiple jobs with the same gear but different glams for example)? Switch to it inside sanctuaries or something's gonna complain.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

a bit more specifically, each gear set in your armory chest has a portrait tied to it, so if you have the same job on multiple sets for whatever reason you have to copy over your portrait to each set after making it.

but basically if this is turned on

your portrait has broken and you need to press it to fix it.

it can also be helpful to right click on your gear set and select "edit portrait" to check if its prompting you to save again, although I don't think this'll happen outside of something like a bigger weapon obscuring your face in a way that your old weapon didn't.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Truga posted:

i'm not even sure how portraits work, do you need one for every single class? i made a boss one with the demon caster hat, but it didn't show up in the one duty i did as DNC, and that's hosed up lol

There's one for every gearset, and any changes to it 'break' the portrait until you save it again. I've not had any trouble with mine, basic rule of thumb is when you open your character widow, make sure the 'update gearset' button isn't highlighted. If you're able to press the update button, then your portrait won't work, but once you press the button it seems to be fine.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Vitamean posted:

a bit more specifically, each gear set in your armory chest has a portrait tied to it, so if you have the same job on multiple sets for whatever reason you have to copy over your portrait to each set after making it.

but basically if this is turned on

your portrait has broken and you need to press it to fix it.

it can also be helpful to right click on your gear set and select "edit portrait" to check if its prompting you to save again, although I don't think this'll happen outside of something like a bigger weapon obscuring your face in a way that your old weapon didn't.

Unfortunately that doesn't even fix everything.

My paladin portrait was working and then I upgraded to the new Ex Trial weapon/shield. I equipped it, glammed to the same appearence, melded and saved the gearset. According to the portraits menu, set 6 (PLD) had no issues and could be used. I even went into the edit menu to save it just in case, but it was greyed out. Got into a dungeon - DMV. I unequipped a piece, saved, reequipped the piece, saved, and then the portrait menu noticed a difference and I could finally resave the portrait.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Unfortunately that doesn't even fix everything.

My paladin portrait was working and then I upgraded to the new Ex Trial weapon/shield. I equipped it, glammed to the same appearence, melded and saved the gearset. According to the portraits menu, set 6 (PLD) had no issues and could be used. I even went into the edit menu to save it just in case, but it was greyed out. Got into a dungeon - DMV. I unequipped a piece, saved, reequipped the piece, saved, and then the portrait menu noticed a difference and I could finally resave the portrait.

Yeah, it's weird. Figuring out how portraits and gearsets interact will get you, like, 90% of the way but that last 10% is black magic.

That said, I try to focus on the 90% because if THAT fixes whatever problem someone's having it can save a lot of headaches getting it out of the way.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't understand why they don't just make them like the adventurer plates, where it just saves the appearance details once set. I don't think anyone would care, and would probably prefer, if their job portraits didn't necessarily need to match their current look.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
The portrait system is worthless to me, a person who mostly only plays one job and has 12 different glams for that job that I bounce around at a whim, usually multiple times a day.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Failboattootoot posted:

The portrait system is worthless to me, a person who mostly only plays one job and has 12 different glams for that job that I bounce around at a whim, usually multiple times a day.

You can still use it - have multiple gearsets for your one job, and link each one to a different glam plate.

When the base equipment isn't changing, this actually works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't understand why they don't just make them like the adventurer plates, where it just saves the appearance details once set. I don't think anyone would care, and would probably prefer, if their job portraits didn't necessarily need to match their current look.

It should at least use the plate's portrait as the default if it thinks the job's portrait is invalid. I guess they think it's important that people not appear using gear that isn't for their job, but... I don't think any player cares about that?