Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

alex314 posted:

In other important news:
Globe of Poland North Pole is

A mini Poland!

But the southern pole is:

:laffo: I hadn't paid attention to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's amazing, I'll have to get one of these for myself too lol

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
We were doing some experimentation with ChatGPT to write mock party programs for Finnish parties in the Finpol thread. I wanted to try some other ones, but the AI wouldn't take my requests in English, so I asked it to write this in Finnish and then translated it with DeepL.

quote:

A parody of the Law and Justice party platform:

We make compulsory Swedish compulsory at school so that we can forget our lack of language skills and claim that we speak "the languages of Europe".

We will make it the duty of all Polish citizens to walk around with their hands behind their backs, so that we can be sure that no one is doing anything dishonest.

We will create a new law that all television programmes must be watched standing up, so that our people can show that they are ready to defend our country at any time.

We will mandate that everyone is required to eat at least one pound of potatoes a day to ensure that our nation is healthy and strong.

We will entitle independent taxi drivers to charge whatever fare they want for their journeys, because they earn their living.

We will ban all entertainment that is not politically correct, so that we can keep our people 'clean' of wrong ideas.

We reserve the right to be right in every situation, because we are always right.

Of course, this is just humour, and I hope you understand it as such. I also hope you will not take the parody I am making too seriously.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
in kazakhstan news, memorials and memorial services for the 2022 january events, whose ongoing trials are quite "idk, something happened" as the Tokayev government presumably tries to cover up some its own internal coup debris with possibly imagined external coup debris

the past January events were triggered by a massive increase in gas prices, which are now being echoed with high inflation, though this year's seems a bit more run of the mill (to the extent that any can in russia-tied economy funtime world at the moment) and the central bank hopes to bring it under control

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

alex314 posted:

In other important news:
Globe of Poland North Pole is

A mini Poland!

But the southern pole is:

It should have been Indonesia, smdh.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

There's a version of that globe with San Escobar, but that might be too insular meme.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Escobar

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Now that we have a government, opinion polls can resume.

Unsurprisingly, for really tedious coalition talks, and nothing major done or publicly in the works yet, only hot air balloons are trending up.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
in all going on, it is a bit of levity that kreosan is still out and doing kreosan things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtxfrppVkWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXWDnepaNwI

goddamnit forums why dont you have yt embeds yet vov

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

it’s all embedded fine, check your blockers

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The new law in Belarus will allow seizing property of foreign government, companies, and Belarusians who assisted them in 'hostile acts' against the country of Belarus, its interests, or any Belarusian companies or individuals.

https://pravo.by/document/?guid=12551&p0=H12300240&p1=1&p5=0

The law doesn't explain what constitutes 'hostile acts'. The list of hostile actors will be maintained by the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus, and based on it, the Minsk City Economic Court will rubberstamp decisions for each individual.

For context, many people who fled persecution after the 2020 protests, still have flats and houses in Belarus that can potentially be seized, from Tsikhanouskaya and to tens of thousands of regular people. Meanwhile, there's news of people who donated to various opposition mutual aid funds being summoned to KGB and asked to donate 10x to one of the state-run charities. The economy is really struggling with sanctions and supply chains disrupted by the war in Ukraine, so the shake-up is just another effort, along with recent tax hikes and aggressive price regulations, to keep things afloat just for a while longer in hopes that Russia will bail Belarus out somehow in the end.

E: Oh, and another presidential ex-candidate got arrested for extremism. Andrey Dmitriyeu had his NGO closed last year, and all his political activity was limited to videos on youtube where he reacted to recent news. Now, as a smoking gun evidence of his extremist activities, the Investigation Committee published this photo from 15 years ago

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 13, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Again time for Australia Open and another Novak scandal

https://mobile.twitter.com/brezaleksandar/status/1614056370394873857

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Czech Republic has finished counting the results in the first round of presidential elections, the frontrunners are Andrej Babiš, the former PM and hyper wealthy agro-baron, and Petr Pavel, the squinting former general, who is probably going to rally the rest of the electorate around him in the second round, which would cement Czech position as staunchly anti-Russian in the current conflict. Have a BBC article (not sure why they choose a volleyball player as their chief interviewee):
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64246903

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Nenonen posted:

Again time for Australia Open and another Novak scandal

https://mobile.twitter.com/brezaleksandar/status/1614056370394873857

Djokovic has new age, anti-vax beliefs definitely. Insisting on his nationalism is kinda meh in my opinion. So he made a few stupid photos or videos in a career that spans decades... He's a professional athlete and I don't expect him to have very progressive or even consistent political opinions. God knows most of our politicians don't have it either, and it should be in their job description.

BTW his coach is a Croat, he has a good relationship with Croatian players and he visited Croatia many times. I haven't heard him say anything disparaging about Bosniaks or Albanians either.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

steinrokkan posted:

The Czech Republic has finished counting the results in the first round of presidential elections, the frontrunners are Andrej Babiš, the former PM and hyper wealthy agro-baron, and Petr Pavel, the squinting former general, who is probably going to rally the rest of the electorate around him in the second round, which would cement Czech position as staunchly anti-Russian in the current conflict. Have a BBC article (not sure why they choose a volleyball player as their chief interviewee):

What a strange article. Feels like a hacky Australian news report about American politics. The Babiš-Pavel result was fairly obvious imo, though I’m surprised Pavel did edge out a victory in the primaries. The votes for the three SPOLU backed candidates should most likely give Pavel a win I suppose, but hey, maybe more old people will come out of the woodwork to vote for Babiš in the second round.

sad question
May 30, 2020

steinrokkan posted:

I have done GIS research and I submit that Babis squints more

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Why your guy got two first names...smh

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDAvgGzBXw8

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

I paid my utility bill in € for the first time today. Strange feeling. The switch to euro, inflation and Schengen are naturally still top subjects in Croatian media.

There's another change going on, maybe an even bigger one but rarely discussed. A huge number of foreign workers came to Croatia. I remember how 20 years ago I'd turn my head on the street if I heard someone speaking a foreign language. I'd wonder "Wow, a stranger! Who knows what brings him here." And I live in the capital. Even five years ago Croatia was 100% white and foreigners (other than tourists during summer) were uncommon. Now there are Nepalis, Filipinos, Indians everywhere. They first came to construction and agriculture and now they're in retail too. To someone from Amsterdam or Frankfurt this is probably funny, but I'm amazed that my neighborhood stores have staff that aren't white and don't speak Croatian. This is probably the first time in the history of this city and it happened overnight, so to speak. It didn't take any new laws, they simply raised work permit quotas (industry had been pleading for this for years) a lot and probably told the police to dial down the controls.

I'm excited about it and so far I've heard of only one racist incident, in 2021.

What's it like elsewhere in EE?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The real question I want to see answered is what kind of fusion cuisine will establish itself in your city.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

The real question I want to see answered is what kind of fusion cuisine will establish itself in your city.

I’ve seen sushi with fresh cucumber, ham, and sour cream

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doctor Malaver posted:

I paid my utility bill in € for the first time today. Strange feeling. The switch to euro, inflation and Schengen are naturally still top subjects in Croatian media.

There's another change going on, maybe an even bigger one but rarely discussed. A huge number of foreign workers came to Croatia. I remember how 20 years ago I'd turn my head on the street if I heard someone speaking a foreign language. I'd wonder "Wow, a stranger! Who knows what brings him here." And I live in the capital. Even five years ago Croatia was 100% white and foreigners (other than tourists during summer) were uncommon. Now there are Nepalis, Filipinos, Indians everywhere. They first came to construction and agriculture and now they're in retail too. To someone from Amsterdam or Frankfurt this is probably funny, but I'm amazed that my neighborhood stores have staff that aren't white and don't speak Croatian. This is probably the first time in the history of this city and it happened overnight, so to speak. It didn't take any new laws, they simply raised work permit quotas (industry had been pleading for this for years) a lot and probably told the police to dial down the controls.

I'm excited about it and so far I've heard of only one racist incident, in 2021.

What's it like elsewhere in EE?

I’d say majority of my food delivery couriers are now foreigners - students I assume, since we’re still quite closed to most things foreign, and the labour import that’s increasingly happening (proportional to economic growth and youth just leaving or learning to code) is happening from other parts of former USSR. Media-wise though, one city decided to get flooded in January (climate change of course is fake etc), so it’s a slow moving train wreck with people refusing to evacuate and so on. I think the debate of the week is if cops can forcibly evacuate a pensioner about to drown in their own home.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
> Balkan
> White
Choose one

But really, this weird American speak is odd in this context. Like, it’s getting more common and all (which is not a good thing), but I mean, it’s still very odd.
I remember being in Riga during the first week after the introduction of the Euro and seeing h&m price tags—the ones with all the little flags—and seeing the Latvian price being a couple of euros more expensive than the Estonian price, despite their both being in Euros. I was never a big fan of the Lats though, always felt like I was getting ripped off.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I miss the salmon coins, but as a currency it was a weird one. And yeah we did the same thing that Croatia is seeing now - retailers trying to scam people blind with highly innovative rounding up math for currency conversion.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Aww, you guys made me remember the Silvio calculator

A tiny credit card sized calculator designed to do lira-euro conversion on the fly, sent to every Italian household in 2001.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

A tiny credit card sized calculator designed to do lira-euro conversion on the fly, sent to every Italian household in 2001.

what the gently caress

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what the gently caress

It was a 10mln euro ordeal since they were drop shipped from china, taken out of the boxes, put in an envelope along with pamphlets to teach about the change and sent everywhere. I'm a bit crossed that i lost mine so i cannot style on zoomers that never saw lira coins.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

SlowBloke posted:

Haha I totally forgot, we had those in Estonia too, sent to every household - along with that conversion card as pictured.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Oh gently caress, i found the other calc i purchased at the time, since the silvio one had a minuscule screen, in my drawer

edit:along with another one from our bank at the time

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 16, 2023

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Angryhead posted:

Haha I totally forgot, we had those in Estonia too, sent to every household - along with that conversion card as pictured.

I had completely forgotten about that lmao. Mine stopped working maybe a year after getting it, though I honestly don’t recall using it at all. My main memory of the transition was going to a shop where the shopkeeper was usually v nasty and being greeted and even thanked (with a forced smile even!) after purchasing something. A “we’re finally european, gota start acting like one” moment, if anything.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

I'd be happy even with a simple street foreign non-fusion cuisine. We have a handful of restaurants - Korean, Indian, Japanese, etc - but they tend to be high-end. Or maybe I'm a poor. :(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Angryhead posted:

I remember nothing of the sort here :(

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They were a massive e-waste mess since the button layer failed easily bricking the unit, you didn't lose much. They were handy to mess with shops that did the 1euro=1000lire conversion to gently caress people over.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Angryhead posted:

Holy poo poo is that card one of those that changes the image depending on the angle at which you're looking at it? Is that to get people used to fluctuation in exchange rates?

Still waiting for our Euros here so no free calculators for us.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy poo poo is that card one of those that changes the image depending on the angle at which you're looking at it? Is that to get people used to fluctuation in exchange rates?

Still waiting for our Euros here so no free calculators for us.

Flick it on one side you get euros, flick it on the other local currency. Fun for kids but i feel a calculator might be more handy.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
This currency talk is bringing back long-suppressed memories of dealing with currency conversion rates in a German ERP system. :shepface:

Changing currency is such a gigantic clusterfuck, it's a miracle society doesn't spontaneously combust when it happens.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Antigravitas posted:

This currency talk is bringing back long-suppressed memories of dealing with currency conversion rates in a German ERP system. :shepface:

Changing currency is such a gigantic clusterfuck, it's a miracle society doesn't spontaneously combust when it happens.

One of the fun things about the euro change is that, during the lira-euro switch, every LoB app were refactored to run on multiple currencies rather than a unitary hardcoded one. Which makes it fun to look at database schemas designed to run with multiple currencies on a software which has run in a euro-only environment for decades.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

http://www.videspieejamiba.lv/lat/universalais_dizains/?doc=96

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:psyduck: I have literally no recollection of this, although in my defence I also lived back home in Rēzekne at the time, so a whole different country functionally.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:psyduck: I have literally no recollection of this, although in my defence I also lived back home in Rēzekne at the time, so a whole different country functionally.

I think i remember seeing pictures of it at the time, but just googling a bit i found a mention that some people got them in mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’d love Poland to switch to Euro but it’s a big country with a lot of olds stuck in the “our currency=independence!!!!” mindset. Having said that, I live in Poland but I’m paid directly in EUR, which means I benefit from the ever weakening PLN and all those anti-EUR idiots even though I really don’t want to.