Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh for sure, setting up anime adaptations takes a while so it'd be roughly when the manga rushed to an ending that they were getting the anime going. I'm sure it'll be amongst the forgettables this coming season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh for sure, setting up anime adaptations takes a while so it'd be roughly when the manga rushed to an ending that they were getting the anime going. I'm sure it'll be amongst the forgettables this coming season

I think this is what was beginning to happen to Demon Slayer before it got really popular and then editorial was like "hey can you give us like a bit more" and then that final arc had to get dragged out a bit which is why the pacing is weird.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
By the Grace of the Gods season 2 has turned into Isekai Laundromat. The protagonist spent the first two episodes training potential branch managers, running his FOH staff through safety drills and agonising over whether he was ready to start a franchise and open a second laundromat store.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It also featured the protagonist beating up thugs hired to interfere with his business, healing them, then charging them for that healing.
Which they can't afford, so they'll have to pay their debts off with prison labor.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tamba posted:

It also featured the protagonist beating up thugs hired to interfere with his business, healing them, then charging them for that healing.
Which they can't afford, so they'll have to pay their debts off with prison labor.

Oh poo poo yeah I forgot that part, he did it as a deterrent to discourage any other thugs from attacking him or his staff. Forcing them into years of prison labor to pay off their medical bankruptcy which he inflicted on them.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The names in High Card are only going to get more ridiculous, aren't they?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hopefully

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

There seems to be a lot of ultra generic sounding isekai anime weirdly getting second seasons recently. I wonder if there aren't enough new series being churned out or something. Hell, that terrible smartphone anime is getting a second season for some reason. Might be a sign that the trend is dying down because the authors are running out of ideas for gimmicks (probably not though).

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

nah theres no shortage of b-list and c-list series to adapt. it'll run its course eventually though, there wasnt really a new isekai smash hit in 2022 afaict unless eminence in shadow is bigger than i am aware of, and if theres none in 2023 either then producers will probably start looking elsewhere

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Eminence seems to be doing okay sales wise. Not sure if it sold well but Executioner and her Way of Life did go over well with people watching it too

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The names in High Card are only going to get more ridiculous, aren't they?

what, you don't want to visit lozenge county

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Smartphone isekai released 27 volumes of the novel so far and is still not done, so it getting another anime season is no surprise at all.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think Smartphone was one of the early Isekai I watched and doesn't the season end with "oh and now I have a harem I guess and also a 16 year old AI guardian to paradise is my wife"?

I'd rather another season of Otome Mob character

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Otome Mob is legit a kinda interesting spin on the idea, since the main story is trying its best to ignore him and he keeps meddling and he legitimately sometimes doesn't feel like the MC but more like an observer.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

High Card continues to be great. Think this is my highlight of the season thus far. Straddling the line between spy fiction and heist/Las Vegas movies with enough of the good kind of anime absurdity to tie it all together.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Bofuri S2 didn't leave a good first episode impression, it was so lethargic and void of content it made log horizon look like a michael bay movie. I'm giving it a three ep window but i'm not confident.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Southern Cassowary posted:

High Card continues to be great. Think this is my highlight of the season thus far. Straddling the line between spy fiction and heist/Las Vegas movies with enough of the good kind of anime absurdity to tie it all together.

What if Oceans 11 were a Battle Shonen

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Bofuri S2 didn't leave a good first episode impression, it was so lethargic and void of content it made log horizon look like a michael bay movie. I'm giving it a three ep window but i'm not confident.

idk i felt like that about in/spectre and vinland saga and then their second episodes were both immediately more engrossing, i think they sometimes overthink 'reintroducing' these shows and end up with a weird underbaked episode rather than just dropping right into the new material. we'll see

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i mean i read a lot of the bofuri manga waiting to see if it did something, 'devoid of content' is kind of bofuri's defining feature. less happens in it than Only Sense Online which is a real accomplishment

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it mostly just felt like a xmas OVA episode that got repurposed, and maybe it was

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

high card's ED beats rear end

edit: maybe a shared thread for high card and revenger? i feel like they're the exact same brand of Idiot Anime, one more style-based and one more high octane

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why would you make a shared thread for two anime that are just vaguely similar. wouldn't that be kind of unnecessarily confusing

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Threads are not a finite resource, :justpost:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

if an anime is good it deserves a thread and high card and revenger are both good

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i am unclear what they have in common besides some theatrically silly violence

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe a shared thread... for this boot... and your rear end! can i get a hell yeah!?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

because i dont wanna make TWO i got poo poo to do

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
how dare you try to mix my noble pursuit of vengeance with your lowbrow attempts to save an orphanage

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Big Leg posted:

how dare you try to mix my noble pursuit of vengeance with your lowbrow attempts to save an orphanage

this is gonna be one hell of a 90s slobs vs snobs boob comedy

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i haven't seen either anime but i will make the threads

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sounds like I should check out High Card.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mou ippon is very fun but boy was the 2nd ep's animation breaking down at points.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

symbolic posted:

i haven't seen either anime but i will make the threads

:cheers:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SlowBloke posted:

Bofuri S2 didn't leave a good first episode impression, it was so lethargic
I mean, it gives good characterization to the opponent guild boss, everyone gets a cute little adventure montage, and it puts a few folks in a fun situation wrt the Christmas raid.

Yeah, it's definitely got a feel like a Christmas OVA but it also seems to have kept the relatively low-key MMO Slice of Life vibe that the first season had. Which is very welcome.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i got the completely wrong impression from Bofuri's title and went in expecting a much more somber story about a girl with serious introversion issues doing her best to overcome it by video games

which is pretty much just bocchi the rock now that i think on it

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Endorph posted:

mou ippon is very fun but boy was the 2nd ep's animation breaking down at points.
same with ep2 of the Trails show, it's not usually something i'm bothered by (or even notice), but seriously what the gently caress happened to this room/table between scenes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ungulateman posted:

i got the completely wrong impression from Bofuri's title and went in expecting a much more somber story about a girl with serious introversion issues doing her best to overcome it by video games

which is pretty much just bocchi the rock now that i think on it
have you seen recovery of an mmo junkie because thats kinda similar to what you were expecting

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Apraxin posted:

same with ep2 of the Trails show, it's not usually something i'm bothered by (or even notice), but seriously what the gently caress happened to this room/table between scenes

When your CGI guy rotates the camera and nothing is in frame. You just increase the FOV until it is right? Why adjust the scene or the blocking?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

seconding mmo junkie, it's pretty good.

obligatory mention that the producer turned out to suck rear end but gently caress it

EDIT: producer director someone was a nazi. show's still good and contains no nazi propaganda

Patware fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Patware posted:

seconding mmo junkie, it's pretty good.

obligatory mention that the producer turned out to suck rear end but gently caress it

Director, no?

Which is a particular shame since it was an excellent adaptation, and it would have been nice if such a promising talent hadn't turned out to be an actual, no-poo poo Nazi.