Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

If housing never becomes affordable are non-homeowners supposed to either deal with rising rent or move to some poo poo box small town away from job centers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

gay for gacha posted:

If housing never becomes affordable are non-homeowners supposed to either deal with rising rent or move to some poo poo box small town away from job centers?

They're expected to do exactly what non-homeowners did during the gilded age, pay 105% of their income for rent and pass their debt on to their kids.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

gay for gacha posted:

i hope you like roommates

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

gay for gacha posted:

no one has thought beyond more money for me now

we will find out what happens in ten years when critical mass has been reached and not a single second beforehand

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

gay for gacha posted:

Housing tips for 2023 :)

No more Starbucks lattes and avocado toast!
Move in with your parents :)
Hustle! Try working a second job in the evenings or on weekends to make ends meet!
Roommates :)
Try being born into wealth!
Put off having children :)

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

gay for gacha posted:

Nice and hot piss posted:

Just live in a dumpster like oscar the grouch jeez you're all making this too drat complicated.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Red Baron posted:

we will find out what happens in ten years when critical mass has been reached and not a single second beforehand

it's true :smith:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

gay for gacha posted:

theyre expected to eat it and continue working poo poo jobs.

they are often instead relocating to cheaper area or regions within thier area.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

we are already finding out.

try getting good childcare. basic necessary functions of society are quite thread bare already.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

https://twitter.com/utilitylimb/status/181116301698273281?lang=en

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

sorry bud

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Housing tips for 2023 :)

No more Starbucks lattes and avocado toast!
Move in with your parents :)
Hustle! Try working a second job in the evenings or on weekends to make ends meet!
Roommates :)
Try being born into wealth!
Put off having children :)

The fact that some of these are being encouraged by media networks is the sort of manufactured consent we need to avoid the wealthy holding any bag.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

try getting good childcare. basic necessary functions of society are quite thread bare already.

Illinois is suggesting they might implement free pre-k, and possibly free post-secondary for some. It would be nice. I want the same nice things for everyone, but there will be a Great Lakes Khanate born from the ashes of the ecological overshoot before the ghouls let that happen.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

it's fine tbh, just would be cool to be able to buy a home is all.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

it's time we started scamming all the elderly out of their homes

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Minecraft Holmes posted:

That game has already been played by Capital with reverse mortgages, HELOCs, and the best one yet: purchasing their home and renting it back to them "care-free," in rent-backs. The last one is really monstrous and a favorite among private equity partners.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Minecraft Holmes posted:

i propose mortal kombat

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

19 o'clock posted:

it's fine tbh, just would be cool to be able to buy a home is all.

If it is any consolation, your lifetime of service will make the rich slightly richer. Maybe your remains will power someone's car, too. Who knows?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

guillotines

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

gay for gacha posted:

in the resort towns around here were already seeing companies beginning to build out employee dorms. theres talk of expanding that model to other sectors.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Joementum posted:

in the resort towns around here were already seeing companies beginning to build out employee dorms. theres talk of expanding that model to other sectors.

hmmm.company towns have historically been good, right?

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
the liberal boomer ghouls in my former employer have accepted that maybe it's a bad thing that the purveyors, craftsmen, artisans, creators, and other wealthy entrepreneurs whose businesses provide the luxury services they expect from life are having trouble finding workers. They've reached a limit for how far they're willing to commute for the trash wages that retail, luxury food production, and hospitality workers must be paid to keep in their place.

Are they willing to allow people to build homes there in their city? No way!

They used politics to force companies to build dorms, and the hotels, restaurants, etc, plan to recruit hotel management degree students from the global south so the visa and shelter are tied to obedience at work and observation at home.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

I mean, yeah, that eventually happens when existence becomes too painful for the masses. Fortunately, Im already in my forties, so hopefully Ill be dead in my employers boneyard before that happens.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

19 o'clock posted:

hmmm….company towns have historically been good, right?

They're building them out of necessity, and it's not without precedence. Even ski resorts in places like Salida are having a hard time getting employees, because the whole town has practically been turned into a resort for short term rentals, or the middlingly wealthy that can't afford Aspen.

Ski resorts have often put staff up on their own properties in the past due to the seasonal nature of the sport. They got away from it in most places, shunting those employees onto the local market. Now the local market is at least double what it was a decade ago with no real increase in wage.

What's old is new again.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

What's old is new again.

can't wait for them to streamline the process even more with scrip tokens to be used at the company store prize redemption center!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

theyre expected to eat it and continue working poo poo jobs.

they are often instead relocating to cheaper area or regions within thier area.

Yeah, the issue is that these areas are becoming harder to find, and moving to them often means accepting lower pay or longer commutes.

I constantly post some variation of "if you literally cannot afford a house right now, things are not going to get better for you" and I feel like an rear end for doing it, but it's true. There hasn't really been a point at any time in recent history where housing conditions have improved so that marginal or excluded buyers can suddenly get into the market. Your income or savings need to outpace the market and rates or it's just not going to happen. Housing isn't going to come down to meet you unless you're willing to make increasingly drastic sacrifices in terms of where you live.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

can't wait for them to streamline the process even more with scrip tokens to be used at the company store prize redemption center!

you can choose TWO food items from the bottom shelf

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, the issue is that these areas are becoming harder to find, and moving to them often means accepting lower pay or longer commutes.

I constantly post some variation of "if you literally cannot afford a house right now, things are not going to get better for you" and I feel like an rear end for doing it, but it's true. There hasn't really been a point at any time in recent history where housing conditions have improved so that marginal or excluded buyers can suddenly get into the market. Your income or savings need to outpace the market and rates or it's just not going to happen. Housing isn't going to come down to meet you unless you're willing to make increasingly drastic sacrifices in terms of where you live.

I think its possible that the secondary markets falls back down relative to the desirable locations within a context of the whole still rising from the SFH supply constraints.

theres a lot of demand push from cities to burbs and secondary cities right now particularly on the west coast to the point of affordability being near parity with the urban center for far out burbs.

a big part of that is/was covid.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

a big part of that is/was covid ANARCHIST JURISDICTIONS

fixed for you

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

fixed for you

its was more schools and school policy than that atleast out here. so so many couples with early elementary kids.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

19 o'clock posted:

hmmm.company towns have historically been good, right?

The Pullman neighborhood of Chicago just became a National Monument. There might be something behind that.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

union made towns are better brotherhood of locomotive engineers laid out a bunch of mid sized towns

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I just checked, and dang, housing is still unaffordable!

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
hmmmmmm seems like a good afordable starter place

$360,000 1 bd 1 ba 520 sqft

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

A Bakers Cousin posted:

hmmmmmm seems like a good afordable starter place

$360,000 1 bd 1 ba 520 sqft

This is theoretically affordable for two people with slightly above-average paying jobs. Looks great as long as you aren't single, never intend to have kids, and don't want to use your home as a place for anything except sleeping! You might even be able to get away with paying less than half of your net income for the privilege.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
lol im staring at that microwave and trying to figure out why its bothering me and its counter space

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lol im staring at that microwave and trying to figure out why its bothering me and its counter space

It looks like a huge microwave

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
You'd think with the fairly minimal space there they'd have an over the range microwave that doubles as the ventilation.

What boggles my mind about pictures like these is if you're already dropping 360 on the house why didn't whoever built it/remodeled it put in some nice appliances? It's a drop in the bucket compared to everything else might as well go up a couple tiers.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
So there doesnt appear to be ....any counter space?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
this forum taught me that cooking at home is both classist and ableist so I support this kitchen configuration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
There's 3 counters, one between the fridge and the oven, one where the microwave goes after you throw it away, and then one on the other side of the sink.