Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Do casters start with full mana or is it a good idea to hit the death knight(s) as early as you can to reduce the coils you eat?

I'm frankly amazed at the amount of clothing she is wearing and while she is holding the bow in a silly way her pose is not needlessly showing off her chest or butt. Is this unofficial artwork?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Poil posted:

I'm frankly amazed at the amount of clothing she is wearing and while she is holding the bow in a silly way her pose is not needlessly showing off her chest or butt. Is this unofficial artwork?

It's from her Hearthstone trailer.

There will be official artwork of her I'll post in the future - and I have in the past - that is entirely less sensible.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, I remember the picture from the Beyond The Dork Portal manual. :sigh:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Poil posted:

Do casters start with full mana or is it a good idea to hit the death knight(s) as early as you can to reduce the coils you eat?

Full mana iirc.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

achtungnight posted:

Full mana iirc.

No. I think 75 mana.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Considering mana is constantly regenerating and you don’t see the casters on the map at first unless you’re cheating, it might as well be full. In any case you want to kill casters early. I prefer to do it with a death wagon or something else immune to the instant kill spells.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Always geek the mage first

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Why did I think the Windrunners were Night Elves and not the Quel'Thalas crew

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why did I think the Windrunners were Night Elves and not the Quel'Thalas crew

Maybe because they had face tattoos before it was established that that was a Night Elf thing and not a High Elf thing?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A certain Windrunner also used a Night Elf model in vanilla WoW. Or maybe you just got the name mixed up with Whisperwind.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
...Is it just me, or is his head kind of tiny?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Carpator Diei posted:

Dude's proportioned like a Space Marine.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Poil posted:

For some reason anyone tagged as a "ranger" type generally is covered up, male or female, usually a big cloak

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

For some reason anyone tagged as a "ranger" type generally is covered up, male or female, usually a big cloak
Isn't that usually just on the back for female rangers? Barely clothed front with midriff and cleavage and the normal tasteful LOOKATMYTITSANDCROTCH posture?

Carpator Diei posted:

His fist is almost the size of his whole head. No wonder they need those utterly moronic oversized pauldrons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Here's a much more representative work of art for the BtDP cast, from the Chronicles book. Spoilers: the Alliance will be going beyond the Dark Portal in this expansion.

I didn't touch on it, but hefting around a broken sword is kind of a thing for Turalyon. It's the remains of Lothar's sword recovered from his body.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Now I've just realized that aleria's bow looks like it's basically useless and it won't store any elastic energy when drawn

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hell, in that last picture I don't think it's even strung, she's just posing with it!

Warcraft has never made designs with practicality aforethought, but I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard's designers don't actually know how a bow works and just assume the bowstring is elastic.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Now I've just realized that aleria's bow looks like it's basically useless and it won't store any elastic energy when drawn
It fits right in next to swords that are as thick as paddles and would be too heavy and clumsy to be of use, warhammers and mauls in sizes that would be unliftable unless they were made out of styrofoam and bizarrely shaped axes they seem to use as bladed brassknuckles.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Alleria's bow officially falls under 'it's magic, we don't gotta explain poo poo.'

I may do a lore post on Legion's artifact weapons at some point, but Alleria's bow is one of them. The hereditary bow of the Rangers-General of Quel'thalas, an ancient relic that dates back to the founding of Quel'thalas. Players got their hands on it, used it for a couple of years, then sucked the bow's power dry and turned it into just a stick and threw it in their banks where it rots to this day alongside the weapons of other players like the Doomhammer, Scepter of Sargeras, and Frostmourne.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 16, 2023

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cythereal posted:

Here's a much more representative work of art for the BtDP cast, from the Chronicles book. Spoilers: the Alliance will be going beyond the Dark Portal in this expansion.

I didn't touch on it, but hefting around a broken sword is kind of a thing for Turalyon. It's the remains of Lothar's sword recovered from his body.

Turalyon has a nice little Pride Rock there.

Danath is just kinda there.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard's designers don't actually know how a bow works and just assume the bowstring is elastic.

I've found to my great disappointment that an enormous amount of people including a lot of artists, game designers, etc. think this is exactly true.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Most of them (and most players) would be shocked to see something like the archer test videos on Tod's Workshop when he has Joe Gibbs on.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

raifield posted:

Somewhere in the ether, the mythical spirit of Zhuge Liang winces.
Short google search after, I ask - huh?

Chainrider37
Oct 20, 2021

Cythereal posted:

I’ll be honest that looks like a lot more men then I expected. I always had the vibe of this small elite force that was on a time limit.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Chainrider37 posted:

I’ll be honest that looks like a lot more men then I expected.

I wonder if this fits as a thread title...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Chainrider37 posted:

I’ll be honest that looks like a lot more men then I expected. I always had the vibe of this small elite force that was on a time limit.

There's some fan theories about the size of armies in Starcraft/Warcraft where a single footman or a single marine in-game is actually a squad of people. The idea is that your biggest or most powerful units, like juggernauts or battlecruisers tend to be a single unit, and then as the individuals get smaller by comparison the squad size represented by a single unit on the map increases.

So that picture where you have a swarm of alliance soldiers leaving the portal could be represented in-game by a dozen footmen and a few rangers or something to that effect.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I like how Danath is just a particularly strong footman. Even in this picture he's down at the bottom with all the other footmen instead on up there with the rest of the heroes.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard's designers don't actually know how a bow works and just assume the bowstring is elastic.

The models for bows in wow flex realistically, at least the ones made back when I played did so: https://www.wowhead.com/item=2504/worn-shortbow#modelviewer.

Of course, the 3d modellers in 2003 might not have necessarily communicated that knowledge to the people hired to do big 2d paintings a decade+ later.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Gun Jam posted:

Zhuge Liang was an ancient Chinese strategist. Maybe he wouldn’t appreciate what was going on in this game?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

achtungnight posted:

Zhuge Liang was an ancient Chinese strategist. Maybe he wouldn’t appreciate what was going on in this game?

And I reiterate what the other poster asked: Huh?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Zhuge Liang would have 4 pooled

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Why must you let Zhuge Liang down, Cythereal. He had such high hopes for you.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
A judgment on Cythreal’s strategy from Zhuge Liang’s arch rival Sima Yi, who was defeated many times by Zhuge but nevertheless surpassed him in the end and became ruler of China-

- You protected yourself well by taking advantage of that archer’s range. Good.

- You slaughtered many Orcs, including warships & death knights. Good.

- You saved the heroes, accomplished your mission.

- You missed the ballista and finished with many dead or nearly dead soldiers. Imbecile!

Dynasty Warriors & Romance of the 3 Kingdoms are the only reason the world knows who these people are today.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Viola the Mad posted:

Why must you let Zhuge Liang down, Cythereal. He had such high hopes for you.

Success is the only metric of victory by which I judge myself. That which furthers my purpose is authorized.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

achtungnight posted:

Dynasty Warriors & Romance of the 3 Kingdoms are the only reason the world knows who these people are today.

Don’t forget Fate/GO, and the Parpri Koumei/Ya Boy Kongming anime from last year. The multitudes of Chinese dramas covering the period too, but those are all based off of Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, so you already covered that.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
edit: actually you know what I'm not gonna start a fight over this.

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 17, 2023

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

what

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

achtungnight posted:

- You missed the ballista and finished with many dead or nearly dead soldiers. Imbecile!
The more casualties the more glorious the battle. If most are on the other side that's just a bonus.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Gun Jam posted:

Myth (and it is only myth, sadly) states that Zhuge Liang was sentenced to death unless he could procure 100,000 arrows within three days. He agreed, much to the delight of his enemies.

On the third day, he took the fleet out, each ship armored with hay bales, and baited the enemy navy into firing arrows at his ships, collecting 100,000 arrows.

Look on YouTube for 'Red Cliff, 100,000 arrows'. It's only slightly less realistic than the notion of a single archer sinking a ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The bow is magic, your argument is invalid.

This is Warcraft, not 'things happening in a vaguely reasonable way perpetuated by rational individuals.'