Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Rutibex posted:

so what your saying is russia could destroy america by blowing up a single container ship full of chinese commodities.

I bet they wouldn't though, China likes international trade more than they like russia

i predict that russia will do this to themselves shortly to show the world that they could do it to anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

atelier morgan posted:

yeah a big part of why we don't bomb iran despite usgov's unbroken incredible desire to do so since the revolution is that sinking one tanker in the persian gulf would torpedo the global oil market and cheap energy is america's mandate of heaven

yeah and Iran would respond by filling the strait of hormuz with mines

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Rutibex posted:

yeah and Iran would respond by filling the strait of hormuz with mines

i hope iran has some wierd undersea drones and mines that are made from whatever they can find and it drives western analysts and lanyard types go insane. like one of those automatic pool cleaners with some explosives.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Weka posted:

Per Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid, the Afghan share will increase to 75%.

not perfect but that's great

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/_deltaVelocity_/status/1615022338281463810?s=20

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Rutibex posted:

so what your saying is russia could destroy america by blowing up a single container ship full of chinese commodities.

I bet they wouldn't though, China likes international trade more than they like russia

You say they could blow up their own ship in order to show they could blow up other ships?
Edit: drat

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I’ve never seen a Russian flag containership fwiw. I’ve boarded a couple of Russian classed Russian flag bulk vessels.

they were impressively poorly maintained. I remember calling my boss after failing it. Why did you fail it? Because I could see cargo hold 3 from inside cargo hold 4. eventually they flew in a Russian classification society inspector I presume they bribed and eventually they sailed away without loading.

I also used to occasionally board the vessels that used to be the Russian equivalent of our prepos (so geared with RORO and container and a fair amount of tank space for bunkers) those were neat though.

I don’t think there are any significant (and here I mean vessels that aren’t just small feeders) Russian flagged containerships.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sevmorput

guess you never saw 'em because they were too cool for you :smug:

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The flag under which ships sail is a meaningless metric though unless you sincerely believe Panama, Bahamas, Liberia etc have a thriving ship industry

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Junkozeyne posted:

The flag under which ships sail is a meaningless metric though unless you sincerely believe Panama, Bahamas, Liberia etc have a thriving ship industry

how much into the weeds of Safety Management System and flag differences do you want to get into?

flag choice is about which interpretation of the Solas treaty is used and the effectiveness of how that interpretation functions as a regulatory check on operating of the vessel and companies SMS.

it actually has very little to do with shipbuilding, which is more the realm of class because the flags accept the certificates issued by class as evidence of structural compliance with Solas requirements . they primarily concern themselves with operations and safety / safety equipment.

even in the three FOC you listed there are large differences. and one of the three there is primarily administered out of London.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

It does seem rather contrived though, yes? If you were designing an international shipping system, would it be full of loopholes and, "actually..." rules?

or is this the optimal way to organize earth shipping, with flags of convenience or what have you.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

palindrome posted:

It does seem rather contrived though, yes? If you were designing an international shipping system, would it be full of loopholes and, "actually..." rules?

:capitalism:

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

It does make one wonder what a ground-up design for this kind of thing would be, rather than rules-layering hundreds years of naval proud "tradition" and customs. here's my 2 minute brainstorm, I think it would solve basically all world problems

Tier 4 - slaves are allowed, burn bunker fuel and throw waste into the sea. everyone is a pirate. insurance? lol
Tier 3 - shiphands will be paid. something. some human rights abuses assumed, captain may decide to ask for additional payment for satellite in cargo hold before leaving port
Tier 2 - cruise ship tier, quasi-legal but things basically get done even if there exists a pecking order of crew based on nationality, racism, and cultural biases. status quo
Tier 1 - ship is subject to regular inspections with a minimum of bribery. high tier private contractors as sailors, equipment is allegedly kept in good repair. tends to steer clear of known conflict zones. AAA insurance rating, best you can get. use this to deliver your clandestine cargo or multi-billion dollar scientific/military equipment if you can't arrange a private trip.

Tier 0 - elite maritime operators, you will never hear about these guys or know about them. if you see one, it's already too late and your "cargo has already been delivered"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Canadian merchant sailors have rights, wages, safety and berthing standards and a union, that was deliberately undercut by these flags of convince.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

it is capitalism these systems develop as capitalism develops. I mean trains get attention because that was happening when Marx was writing. but international trade by vessel is its bones.

it’s a combination of systems that evolved and developed along side shipping and systems that were designed to fix problems. Some of these systems are uh major systems: insurance, finance, international currency exchange. they get designed structures built on top of those evolved systems generally in response to disasters. some of those systems have ways to update themselves independently of needing new international treaties.

Frosted Flake posted:

Canadian merchant sailors have rights, wages, safety and berthing standards and a union, that was deliberately undercut by these flags of convince.

the FOCs have to have thier vessels pass Port State controls. if a ship goes to Canada, the Canadian coast guard can board that ship and can inspect to the criteria of the Solas treaty. same with every other country on the planet that ships call. the big metric that FOC get evaluated by is how many fuckups they have with port states. what this has led to is FOCs having their regulations nearly exactly match the criteria of port states. one looks at Paris MOU, tries to hire inspection folks from that region, makes its own inspection criteria align with that regions criteria. another looks to USCG hires retired coasties to design its rules and programs.

this is to say rights, safety standards, and berthing standard are for some of the FOCs identical to the western port states. here the unions will board to check on crew well being and compliance with international rules. usually they’ll show up and expect to be fed. this gives them a bad reputation. but showing up unexpectedly for lunch that’s actually by design and let’s them know an awful lot about basic needs being met on the vessel.

wages are the real problem. seafarers should be paid more.

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Jan 18, 2023

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
I'm not saying there are no different es between which flag a ship registers unto but that you can't make weird generalisations about a nations shipping quality when there is often no connection between owner's nationality and flag.

FOC exists for tax dodging, deregulation and better exploitation of workers who cares if they meet some standards, they wouldn't be used so widely if that wouldn't be true

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Junkozeyne posted:

you can't make weird generalisations about a nations shipping quality

I can. I am in fact very comfortable making generalizations about both flag quality and owner quality. doing a bit of back of the napkin math for the 15 years I did it, I’ve boarded 10-20% of the worlds bulk and container fleet, though that would be heavily biased towards vessels that call US ports and towards handy/Panamax sized vessels.

The real dirty secret of any FOC discussion is that several of them are run better and regulate more effectively than some western flags.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Bring back the Red Ensign and tramp steamers, simple as.

e: and all of the lines with their flags and painted funnels.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

tramp steamers

easy tonnage, herr kaleun :smugdon:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

e: and all of the lines with their flags and painted funnels.

I’ve got a customs house guide from 64 that has all the different line stack insignia I should take some pictures and post em later.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Mango Press 🥭🗝 posted:

🇨🇳 #China

Leaked concept images of China’s People’s Liberation Army’s 6th generation fighter jet - as of yet unnamed - will supposedly have canard wings that can enter and exit the body of the machine whilst it is in flight

🥭 @mangopress
(from t.me/mangopress/12710, via tgsa)

do you think it'll make it into the next ace combat game?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Danann posted:

Did you know... there are three kinds of aces? Those who seek strength. Those who live for pride. And those who have the china plane. Those are the three. And him... He was a true ace.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Danann posted:

:hellyeah:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’ve got a customs house guide from 64 that has all the different line stack insignia I should take some pictures and post em later.

Please do! That rules.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ronkainen7k15/status/1616281293951750144

that's a thing :stonk:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/starsandstripes/status/1616803048688439297?t=EKjfDstNS2VBA4l69iMc6A&s=19

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

haha

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Yeah, it’s pretty normal and why tank guns have fume extractors and SPGs fire with hatches open. During WW2 crews would have ill effects from prolonged gunnery, especially if they had hatches closed or poor ventilation.

What did you guys think happened? To the fumes and hot brass I mean?

Hold on give me a sec I have some better examples

As propellant accumulates from sustained firing there’s a chances that it flashes back into the crew compartment when the breechblock is opened, burning the crew and igniting the ready use ammunition.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Jan 21, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

its called ur posting

eyooooooooo

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol why are there fuzes that heavy rain will apparently trigger inflight

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Sometimes you're shooting at a bouncy castle or hot air balloon and you don't want to over penetrate

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yelling SHAUN to blow up a tank while it's aiming at me

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah, it’s pretty normal and why tank guns have fume extractors and SPGs fire with hatches open. During WW2 crews would have ill effects from prolonged gunnery, especially if they had hatches closed or poor ventilation.

What did you guys think happened? To the fumes and hot brass I mean?

As propellant accumulates from sustained firing there’s a chances that it flashes back into the crew compartment when the breechblock is opened, burning the crew and igniting the ready use ammunition.

Is this gonna make us the next War Thunder forum?

In this same vein, the operation procedure for firing a Stinger from a handheld launcher includes holding your breath and getting away from the fumes, because the propellant is more toxic than usual for an rocket launcher.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

redneck nazgul posted:

yelling SHAUN to blow up a tank while it's aiming at me

lmao

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The us military runs on oil, and cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiXZECAe094

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
all hot weapons are reliant on packing as much energy as possible into as small a place as possible, which means high reactivity which means lots of wild and novel byproducts

there's no such thing as a non-carcinogenic artillery, never has been

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

atelier morgan posted:

this is dynamite gun erasure

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Raskolnikov38 posted:

They're VT fuses and so the radar return from the rain will set them off.

Red Bags (the highest incremental charge for artillery propellant) contain 6 oz of lead foil as a decoppering agent - the high velocity lead powder scrapes away the accumulated heavy metals in the gun barrel from the rifling. When you open the breechblock, that's all in the air too. Also Red Bags give you traumatic brain injuries.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:32 on Jan 21, 2023

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

atelier morgan posted:

world of tanks players will confirm the carcinogenic effects of artillery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

atelier morgan posted:

all hot weapons are reliant on packing as much energy as possible into as small a place as possible, which means high reactivity which means lots of wild and novel byproducts

I'm willing to believe trebuchets cause cancer but I'd like to know how.