Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Laterite posted:

shift the conversation to how the sun will swallow the earth in 500m years instead and see where that goes

technically it will merely become so luminous that it "It will take at least 1 billion years from now to deplete liquid water from the Earth," instead of actually absorbing the planet itself so it's fine. We've got like a whole billion years to pack up everything and gtfo, it's plenty of time, it's fine. We can just move to Saturn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Schwein im Schlamm?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Marenghi posted:

Feels like a metaphor for man's response to climate change. Making things worse in the long term just to maintain some semblance of normalcy in the short term. I have a theory lot of people know how bad it is. They are just hoping they die before the worst of it. But until then they want to be able dine out and enjoy brunch without thinking about how future generations will be turbofucked.

That's pretty explicitly what people have been doing. Part of the reason it's so hard to convince anyone of the urgency of the problem is that the narrative for decades specifically framed it as a problem for your grandchildren. In other words, far enough into the future that not only do you not need to worry, but you also don't need to be afraid for your kids. You're so far removed from the problem that no one that you care about or who even exists yet will need to worry.

It's still hard to convince people who are otherwise onboard with climate change being an existential threat that their own kids might end up getting seriously hosed by it, let alone convincing them that it might impact their own futures.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

a strange fowl posted:

apparently people decompose more slowly than they used to. i have done little research though, it's not my scene
yea, cus we killed all* the vultures

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

a strange fowl posted:

apparently people decompose more slowly than they used to. i have done little research though, it's not my scene

they don't decompose em like they used to!!!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

OIL PANIC posted:

yea, cus we killed all* the vultures

icymi: https://twitter.com/paracelsus1092/status/1608737817206849541

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Paradoxish posted:

That's pretty explicitly what people have been doing. Part of the reason it's so hard to convince anyone of the urgency of the problem is that the narrative for decades specifically framed it as a problem for your grandchildren. In other words, far enough into the future that not only do you not need to worry, but you also don't need to be afraid for your kids. You're so far removed from the problem that no one that you care about or who even exists yet will need to worry.

It's still hard to convince people who are otherwise onboard with climate change being an existential threat that their own kids might end up getting seriously hosed by it, let alone convincing them that it might impact their own futures.

A person I met recently went into her own little remarks about carbon and climate change when we got to talking about the strange weather - which is pretty rare. I felt encouraged before she said that her children's children will have to deal with what's been done. So close

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

A person I met recently went into her own little remarks about carbon and climate change when we got to talking about the strange weather - which is pretty rare. I felt encouraged before she said that her children's children will have to deal with what's been done. So close

What's funny is that we were telling people "it's a problem for your grandchildren" thirty years ago and it never occurs to people now that their children are those grandchildren, or even that they themselves are the grandchildren in the original discussion.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

"It will be a problem but not for you because you'll be dead" really didn't work as a way of communicating the need for change or the scale of the project.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah, "well we'll all be dead before it kicks in nbd" is the #1 reaction i've heard about climate anything

goddamn, you were just talking about your grandkid

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Tbh it's not wrong, once the hyper tornado ragdolls you into stratosphere you're both dead and it's no longer a problem

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's one of those monkey paw things

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I suspect the death of community and the triumph of hyperindividualism is why nobody gives a poo poo about future - even imminent - generations

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Laterite posted:

shift the conversation to how the sun will swallow the earth in 500m years instead and see where that goes

i show people this video

https://youtu.be/uD4izuDMUQA

it’s always interesting to see who reacts with surprised despair or calming, peaceful realization.

usually people are more the later, from what I noticed.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
The Earth just happens to be an increasingly-warmer hot potato, as thrown from one generation to the next.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Joe Biden can't make me eat a bug!!! Hell no

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

smoobles posted:

Joe Biden can't make me eat a bug!!! Hell no

Time to give up processed foods then

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

joe's gonna hide the bug inside a slice of american cheese and you're gonna gobble it right up

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I was made severely ill by eating bugs. But I never hated them. I said, 'Thank you for your protein.'

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i guess an amoeba is a kind of bug

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the important thing to remember is that we need a large systemic solution and that any small individual solution is pointless and can be ignored. that way there isn't any specific project that is bad. oh you want to bulldoze a bunch of forests and build a parking lot there? sounds fine. we need a systemic solution to us destroying the environment after all.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Stereotype posted:

the important thing to remember is that we need a large systemic solution and that any small individual solution is pointless and can be ignored. that way there isn't any specific project that is bad. oh you want to bulldoze a bunch of forests and build a parking lot there? sounds fine. we need a systemic solution to us destroying the environment after all.

If we broke up the big banks tomorrow, would that end racism? Would that end sexism?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

If we broke up the big banks tomorrow, would that end racism? Would that end sexism?

It's ironic that as often as these people say "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" whenever anyone thinks about doing hardball negotiating by walking away from marginal improvement, they're the ones who say things like that about letting banks who targeted formerly redlined communities as easier to scam off the hook

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Stereotype posted:

Market based solutions that allow people to dismiss the peril looming over everything we know, in service of short sighted greed. Nobody's fault, nobody's problem!

"Smart people are working hard to solve this you know and I see you have a cell phone so maybe you're not as committed as you pretend to be!"

Hmm excellent good point, so you're saying you want to be part of me getting committed for real huh sounds rad should I wear your skin like a suit and wear it while I dance around the carefully constructed bone cairn I make of your remains?

What do you mean you're cutting me off?!?!? It's a pun get it?

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDD3jEqpIc8

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

If we devolve socially to mad Max cannibal road gangs I feel confident that both of those problems would cease to be in remarkably short order.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

I dunno about you guys, but I would eat the bugs.

If the bugs are eating food waste that would otherwise go into the compost, I may as well consume the cricket flour protein bars before I head off to my job-sharing arrangement.

Plus, I may as well eat the bugs while they're still here.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f892tuaMRzk

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
hahaha how do you die of too mcuh rain, mothafucker just float or walk away hahahahaha

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

the really weird thing to me is I have not really seen any Californians talk about this. you'd expect a flood of posts complaining about it, but near-total silence

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

fried crickets are just natures chicken nuggets

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

God Hole posted:

a few years back, whenever climate change would come up in conversation with friends, I made it a point to clarify how dire things were by citing as broadly-accepted sources as possible like Science and Nature and the IPCC. apparently, this behavior led some becoming concerned for my sanity and others to refer to me as a "doomer" behind my back.

sometime in the past 2 years or so, it seems like everyone rapidly shot up to a level of understanding about the climate that leaves little for hope. now whenever climate change comes up, everyone starts nodding and going "yup yup we are so hosed lol" as someone goes off on a tangent about PFAS or whatever.

something is definitely off though, this new level of understanding doesn't seem to have engendered any solidarity with actual climate activists. for the longest time, I was very confused about how, despite the fact that I was seemingly among fellow travelers, I was unable to wash the "doomer" stink off of me. then I realized that there largely is no animus behind their words. when something like PFAS are being discussed, it's how someone discusses a hurricane: unanticipated, tragic, and ultimately inevitable. when the climate is being discussed, it is as a eulogy. you can come together to acknowledge the pain, but then you have to accept it and move on. it is bad form to discuss what we could have done differently to save the deceased while you're at the funeral

i've never understood why that's the case, you've got a fresh corpse, a guy standing over it with a bloody knife and everyone's "what an unexpected tragedy, no way this could have been prevented and nothing can be done"

the people who did this have names and addresses.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Harik posted:

the people who did this have names and addresses.

There are more epitaphs than addresses at this point.

We've been at this for generations now.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Start redacting factories and executives

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

the really weird thing to me is I have not really seen any Californians talk about this. you'd expect a flood of posts complaining about it, but near-total silence

fires more visually dynamic and effects people from indirect components in a much wider area

like for road closures people in the area might not directly see them because of autonav things in cars

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mayor Dave posted:

Start redacting factories and executives

If people stopped being rampant consumers the problem would solve itself.

Edit - I'm not sure how you get people to voluntarily stop acting like a locust plaque though.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 04:47 on Jan 17, 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Armadillo Tank posted:

fires more visually dynamic and effects people from indirect components in a much wider area

like for road closures people in the area might not directly see them because of autonav things in cars

no one even talks about the torrential rains flooding the streets and homes

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

For most Californians this was just a prolonged period of rain and some occasional wind. The people who got hurt at scale outside flood protected areas - the homeless, the poor in the Valley, farm workers - have no voice that anybody cares about and the news isn't going to give them the time of day. The rivers didn't overflow badly so homes weren't getting destroyed by the hundred, levies held, etc. The most exciting bit was when that gale swept through and took a tenth of the state off the power grid for a couple days but... it was a couple of days. No biggie.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

its hitting places nobody cares about op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

DancingShade posted:

If people stopped being rampant consumers the problem would solve itself.

Edit - I'm not sure how you get people to voluntarily stop acting like a locust plaque though.

you can't, lol