Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lots of news out of the Annecy animation festival

Thread here:
https://twitter.com/sonyanimation/status/1536310728285626368

https://twitter.com/SpiderVerse/status/1536324894216146945

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Omg having the Spot in a movie with Spiderverse levels of animation and personality is going to be so much fun.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Those posters look so good.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The Spot might just be the perfect villain to have in this medium.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1589697454576111616

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You had my interest, now you have my etc.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

NEW TRAILER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_-1Ju44KOI

I see Manga Spider-Man Naruto running like a dork

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Kin of disappointed Miguel is apparently going to be the villain. Peter feels like a deadman too, only appropriate for multiversal shenanigans.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Kin of disappointed Miguel is apparently going to be the villain. Peter feels like a deadman too, only appropriate for multiversal shenanigans.

Presumably it's a misunderstanding that would be cleared up with a good sitdown conversation, but obviously that won't happen for a good third of the film.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

NEW TRAILER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_-1Ju44KOI

I see Manga Spider-Man Naruto running like a dork

Paper Bag Spidey confirmed!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So an international poster's come out:

That's Spectacular Spidey in the lower right there!

Edit: And another one!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Ooh, Spiders-man!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Ooh, Spiders-man!

Where! I can’t pick him out

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
What's the deal with Spectacular Spider-Man?

Does he wear glasses?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ConfusedUs posted:

Where! I can’t pick him out

Right behind May Parker and Ben Reilly on the left.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is that liefield spider man on the middle right

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh it's sombrero wearing Spider-Man I used to doodle as a kid, in the top right. Crazy deep cut, hope they keep him true to the source material by having him battle a crudely drawn Godzilla.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ynohtna posted:

What's the deal with Spectacular Spider-Man?

Does he wear glasses?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNA6pzYpwH0
He's the protagonist of the cartoon of the same name from the late 2000s that was muchloved but wound up ending on a massive cliffhanger due to rights issues between Marvel & Sony.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Right behind May Parker and Ben Reilly on the left.

That's Spinneret (Mary Jane) from the Renew Your Vows series, not May.

Also I think it's actually the Doppelganger, since Spiders-Man still has a proper mask in the comics.

Also why are there two distinct versions of Spidey wearing a grey business suit?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's Spinneret (Mary Jane) from the Renew Your Vows series, not May.

Also I think it's actually the Doppelganger, since Spiders-Man still has a proper mask in the comics.

I wasn't sure on the face but if you zoom in he's covered in little spiders.

And I'm not sure but I thought he got more inhuman as he ran around as Superior's Henchman

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 21, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yvonmukluk posted:

He's the protagonist of the cartoon of the same name from the late 2000s that was muchloved but wound up ending on a massive cliffhanger due to rights issues between Marvel & Sony.

What is it with animated Spiderman shows being cut down before their time? (I am of course referring to the Neil Patrick Harris show).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Spectacular Spider-Man was sacrificed so that Sony can make the Andrew Garfield movies. In exchange Marvel made their Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon on Disney XD that is in the same world as their Avengers Assemble and Agents of SMASH cartoons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is there Japanese Spiderman in there?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He’s confirmed to be in the film.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Maybe? It's really hard to identify him if you can't see his left wrist or his Leopardon

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doppleganger Spidey from Infinity War? Okay, sure.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The MSJ posted:

Spectacular Spider-Man was sacrificed so that Sony can make the Andrew Garfield movies. In exchange Marvel made their Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon on Disney XD that is in the same world as their Avengers Assemble and Agents of SMASH cartoons.

While losing Spectacular hurt and Disney’s own shows were mediocre, in the grand calculus of the multiverse, the sacrifice was worth it. I guess. I mean we’d have never got ITSV if Sony kept the TV rights instead of the film rights.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do these ads mean that Jessica Drew and Julia Carpenter are the only spider-women other than Gwen and that afro lady?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I AM GRANDO posted:

Do these ads mean that Jessica Drew and Julia Carpenter are the only spider-women other than Gwen and that afro lady?

A Silk TV show/movie has been in development at Amazon for a while now, so good bet she won't be in Across.

And someone mentioned earlier, you can see both Spinneret and Spiderling from Renee Your Vows walking around in the background

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

The ‘afro lady’ is Jessica Drew

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I AM GRANDO posted:

'That afro lady' is Jessica Drew.

I think they actually took inspiration for her look from the original Spider-Woman:

Edit: beaten like the Vulture's about to be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Yvonmukluk posted:

'That afro lady' is Jessica Drew.

I think they actually took inspiration for her look from the original Spider-Woman:

Edit: beaten like the Vulture's about to be.

Man, she owns that look. Maybe something about how the afro even looks like a spider's body.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Mayday never getting her credit smh.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://twitter.com/SpiderVerse/sta...-concept-art%2F

:3:

I’m really looking forward to seeing Peter & Mayday.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Dreams do come true

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That's Spectacular on the bottom right, according to Miller;

https://twitter.com/chrizmillr/status/1605230679838445568?s=46&t=iw4NLhtQizqhZlAqjKrPaA

Makes sense as Parker is pretty young in that, and that's a little fella.

Spectacular was cut short, but was very high quality while it ran. Great animation and the plots were a good mix of drama and action. It was kind of akin in tone to Ultimate Spider-Man, which was obviously a contemporary. It's a natural fit for something for these movies to borrow from.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

well why not posted:

That's Spectacular on the bottom right, according to Miller;

https://twitter.com/chrizmillr/status/1605230679838445568?s=46&t=iw4NLhtQizqhZlAqjKrPaA

Makes sense as Parker is pretty young in that, and that's a little fella.

Spectacular was cut short, but was very high quality while it ran. Great animation and the plots were a good mix of drama and action. It was kind of akin in tone to Ultimate Spider-Man, which was obviously a contemporary. It's a natural fit for something for these movies to borrow from.

I really loved the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon too. It was really well written, voiced and animated for sure. I think it holds up really good. Other than the unresolved ending, of course.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I caught exactly one episode on television when it was on and I was housesitting and immediately googled it to see how I could watch more once I got home only to find out it was cancelled that very week, so I never watched the rest of it.

I really don't think these companies understand how badly they're shooting themselves in the foot by cancelling something outright instead of just saying "these numbers suck, let's wrap it up in a bow and move on," because if I know something ends before it ends, I'm not even gonna' bother.

I would've bought a DVD set of the entire show if they'd have just given it an ending.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LividLiquid posted:

I caught exactly one episode on television when it was on and I was housesitting and immediately googled it to see how I could watch more once I got home only to find out it was cancelled that very week, so I never watched the rest of it.

I really don't think these companies understand how badly they're shooting themselves in the foot by cancelling something outright instead of just saying "these numbers suck, let's wrap it up in a bow and move on," because if I know something ends before it ends, I'm not even gonna' bother.

I would've bought a DVD set of the entire show if they'd have just given it an ending.

As I recall, Spectacular got abruptly canceled as part of a deal Disney made with Sony: Disney regained the animation rights to Spider-Man in exchange for Sony getting the film rights free and clear.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Timby posted:

As I recall, Spectacular got abruptly canceled as part of a deal Disney made with Sony: Disney regained the animation rights to Spider-Man in exchange for Sony getting the film rights free and clear.

Yah, this is it. Greg Weisman explained it as this on his blog. The only reason we got Amazing Spider-Man is because of Sony giving back the animation rights. We also got Morbius so there's that... But Venom too. And Madame Web coming.

Basically, it'll never come back because it means Disney would have to pay Sony as Sony owns the rights to it and Disney, according to Wiesman, are rivals with Sony and would never do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

IP rights loving suck, release everything into the public domain.