Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Clarkson's farm Season 2 finally has a release date and it is 10.2.2023:

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/reality-tv/a42189382/clarksons-farm-season-2-air-date/

Don't the CHM traditionally release at least some special or new episode around Christmas? Or did the actual nu-Top Gear releasing a longer special? The newest trio is rather watchable but I didn't find anything from anyone this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Der Kyhe posted:

Clarkson's farm Season 2 finally has a release date and it is 10.2.2023:

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/reality-tv/a42189382/clarksons-farm-season-2-air-date/

Don't the CHM traditionally release at least some special or new episode around Christmas? Or did the actual nu-Top Gear releasing a longer special? The newest trio is rather watchable but I didn't find anything from anyone this year.

I think Amazon(May and Clarkson) and Discovery(Hammond) will lock them in their spinoff series, from the limited info I managed to gather the French special didn't do good views compared to the previous ones.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

I think Amazon(May and Clarkson) and Discovery(Hammond) will lock them in their spinoff series, from the limited info I managed to gather the French special didn't do good views compared to the previous ones.

The French one was really a B-side of a single, it was barely over 60 minutes and got no press compared to what the Scandi Flick got. It also really was only a no-studio segment episode, compared to everything else released after S3 ended.

They had a goddamn billboards for "Scandi Flick" in many places in Finland. In a country where only car dealerships and elections do billboards, for Christ's sake. And Finland is barely in it, for the last 30 minutes most of it taking that lake segment that could have been anywhere in the Nordics.

But it did have an effect; my elderly mother and sister, who both have no interest whatsoever on car shows mentioned on Christmas holiday that they had watched that "funny movie where these 3 guys drive their cars from Norway to Finland". :D They both watched it because James May was in it, though. I asked them "why" and both said "because they liked his travel and cooking shows".

EDIT: They watched Grand Tour because they like cooking and travel shows. :D

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 1, 2023

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
James May is the true crossover TV presenter. And truthfully I enjoy his non-car content more than anything else - I couldn't watch bugout bunker stuff every day.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mr. Wiggles posted:

James May is the true crossover TV presenter. And truthfully I enjoy his non-car content more than anything else - I couldn't watch bugout bunker stuff every day.

I liked his ReAssembler program.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

I wish they'd make more :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

Same. It was super good.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Der Kyhe posted:

The French one was really a B-side of a single, it was barely over 60 minutes and got no press compared to what the Scandi Flick got. It also really was only a no-studio segment episode, compared to everything else released after S3 ended.

They had a goddamn billboards for "Scandi Flick" in many places in Finland. In a country where only car dealerships and elections do billboards, for Christ's sake. And Finland is barely in it, for the last 30 minutes most of it taking that lake segment that could have been anywhere in the Nordics.

But it did have an effect; my elderly mother and sister, who both have no interest whatsoever on car shows mentioned on Christmas holiday that they had watched that "funny movie where these 3 guys drive their cars from Norway to Finland". :D They both watched it because James May was in it, though. I asked them "why" and both said "because they liked his travel and cooking shows".

EDIT: They watched Grand Tour because they like cooking and travel shows. :D

The scandi flick left such an impression, i actually forgot it existed :doh:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Take a guess on who got fired again: https://variety.com/2023/tv/global/jeremy-clarkson-amazon-grand-tour-canceled-1235490701/

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

To be brutally honest, i wouldn't have expected a grand tour series after 2024 anyway, the trio looked like they wanted to be somewhere else for the whole scandiflick special. Three seasons of Clarkson farm is also more than enough IMHO. I wonder if May will continue doing the amazon travel logs, he looked miserable in most of the Italian one.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
It痴 time to retire Grand Tour anyway. They are just getting too old for this kind of content. Watching James May get a concussion in that tunnel crash was probably enough for me at this point.

Clarkson Farm is good but three seasons will probably be more that enough.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Lol what an absolute shitbag.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: at his excuse being "there wasn't anyone around at the time to tell me that the thoughts I was having shouldn't be put in writing"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
At least he didn't punch anyone this time.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

At least he didn't punch anyone this time.

Does suicide by posting count as harming someone?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"I'm sorry I made that one clumsy reference to Game of Thrones (the rest of the article is fine though)"

I apologize to GRRM for my heinous appropriation of his work

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

As others have said, it definitely feels as though the show is coming to a close due to the presenters aging out. Scandiflick was still a ton of fun though.

Absolutely wild that I first found this show on a family vacation to Europe in 2004. This trio has taken me from my freshman year of college, where I watched episodes (from this website) streamed on a hacked Xbox, through med school, residency, marriage, and my first kid. By the end it'll have been 20 years: over half of my life. :stare:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Residency Evil posted:

Absolutely wild that I first found this show on a family vacation to Europe in 2004. This trio has taken me from my freshman year of college, where I watched episodes (from this website) streamed on a hacked Xbox, through med school, residency, marriage, and my first kid. By the end it'll have been 20 years: over half of my life. :stare:

I remember when the final gear forums(which was my main source of Clarkson :filez:) admin did die and looking at his obit, he was just couple of years older than me.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Watching those old episodes on some dodgy website was great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This all just feels like Amazon looking for a way out with the grand tour. These dudes are too old (not that they are all that old, but they look rough as poo poo) to keep doing this kind of stuff. If they were truly appalled by what Clarkson did, they would have outright canceled everything that was upcoming, not say "We'll make these things we already agreed to, but nothing after that." If it was really so bad, they would have Zaslav'd the whole thing and not even put out what they had already finished. When he got sacked from Top Gear, they didn't finish out the rest of the episodes he had agreed to, they finished up the show without him.

He wrote a lovely column in a newspaper, but who was really offended by it? The usual boomers that would complain to the newpaper are all people who were likely saying even worse poo poo about Megan to each other. The difference is they don't have a newspaper column. Were people in the US offended? Most people I see respond to every Harry and Megan story with "who cares?"

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I think Amazon only had one more season of Grand Tour contracted anyway, and with the general downturn in tech stocks and streaming services cutting content, I think it's pretty likely they wouldn't have ordered more of the show, even without Clarkson doing something dumb.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Amazon are very outraged, and will be firing this man immediately in 4 years when his contract runs out!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I should probably change my av at some point lol

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

redgubbinz posted:

I should probably change my av at some point lol

Just photoshop a giant foot into it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just photoshop a giant foot into it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Clarkson's Farm season 2 is out. Eight episodes.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Good so far

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I enjoyed it, but not as much as the first season. Too much war-ing with the council and not enough farming this year imo

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
So last season the situation with the local council seemed somewhat sympathetic because the farm shop was clearly resulting in traffic that the area was totally unsuited for. Now though, I can't tell if they are being deliberately vindictive against Jeremy Clarkson (for obvious reasons), or if we are just seeing a story written, filmed, and edited by Jeremy Clarkson to appeal to Jeremy Clarkson fans. Still fun to watch tho.

Anyway, apparently the news says that the cows were all sold and the restaurant closed shortly after the season wrapped which makes it look a lot more like him screwing around for social media buzz and streaming ratings.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 12, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

withak posted:

So last season the situation with the local council seemed somewhat sympathetic because the farm shop was clearly resulting in traffic that the area was totally unsuited for. Now though, I can't tell if they are being deliberately vindictive against Jeremy Clarkson (for obvious reasons), or if we are just seeing a story written, filmed, and edited by Jeremy Clarkson to appeal to Jeremy Clarkson fans. Still fun to watch tho.

Anyway, apparently the news says that the cows were all sold and the restaurant closed shortly after the season wrapped which makes it look a lot more like him screwing around for social media buzz and streaming ratings.

Small town councils are vindictive assholes, especially when decor/historical buildings are involved. I am not surprised at them dicking them over nonsense like clear skies(which I am a big proponent of but it shouldn't be enough to kill a project, since it can be easily be contained/mitigated).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The first season definitely seemed real, this one has a lot of moments that seem super fake. Like in the second episode where the cows keep escaping. They keep putting the cows back in the same field and they immediately escape and piss off the neighbors. There's no way they are that stupid. I've only watched 3 so far, but there are a lot of moments where it seems like they didn't have enough weather drama so they have Jeremy go gently caress something up and then Gerald or Kaleb say "what the gently caress are you doing?" for the cameras. Maybe they didn't trust that an accurate account of what happened that year would be interesting so they came up with scripted things to make drama, but it makes the show lame.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cows are experts at finding the weakest spot in your fence.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

withak posted:

The council stuff is all pretty real as far as I can tell. All I can find is that the council Sent an enforcement order for the restaurant to be shut down like a month later and he no longer plans on having it. I think he just gave up because there was no way they were ever going to let it be. As for the council I think its mostly them and the townspeople being NIMBY assholes.

withak posted:

Cows are experts at finding the weakest spot in your fence.

This is very true. After my grandparents died I had to move into the house on my grandpas farm and one or more of the neighbors cows ended up in the field about every other week. The guy that owned them sounded just like Gerald just in an American midwestern accent. I could never loving understand a word he said.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 12, 2023

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

The first season definitely seemed real, this one has a lot of moments that seem super fake. Like in the second episode where the cows keep escaping. They keep putting the cows back in the same field and they immediately escape and piss off the neighbors. There's no way they are that stupid. I've only watched 3 so far, but there are a lot of moments where it seems like they didn't have enough weather drama so they have Jeremy go gently caress something up and then Gerald or Kaleb say "what the gently caress are you doing?" for the cameras. Maybe they didn't trust that an accurate account of what happened that year would be interesting so they came up with scripted things to make drama, but it makes the show lame.

My wife grew up on a working dairy farm and thought the cows escaping was pretty accurate, because the fences sucked.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

xsf421 posted:

My wife grew up on a working dairy farm and thought the cows escaping was pretty accurate, because the fences sucked.

The first time maybe? But after that, they keep putting the cows back in the same field and then cutting to the same fence still being completely down, and then repeat. Maybe they didn't find that fence until later, but the way it's cut makes them all look like complete dipshits by not even bothering to fix the fence and still putting the cows in the same field. only for them to walk out through the same downed fence.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They 100% fixed the spot they escaped from each time, but the entire perimeter was probably very old and lovely so the cows just moved over and pushed down the next weakest spot. This is how cows roll.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cows are far smarter than most people think.

And they're fairly strong too.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

The council stuff is all pretty real as far as I can tell. All I can find is that the council Sent an enforcement order for the restaurant to be shut down like a month later and he no longer plans on having it. I think he just gave up because there was no way they were ever going to let it be. As for the council I think its mostly them and the townspeople being NIMBY assholes.

This is very true. After my grandparents died I had to move into the house on my grandpas farm and one or more of the neighbors cows ended up in the field about every other week. The guy that owned them sounded just like Gerald just in an American midwestern accent. I could never loving understand a word he said.

I think they might have found a workaround. If you go to the Diddly Squat Instagram, they're serving food out of the farm shop as a "cafe" rather than a restaurant.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Jeremy Clarkson is only 62 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I got to the council meeting episode. While I'm sure this show is edited to show Clarkson in the best possible light, that was a bunch of bullshit. The cafe is a great idea, his plan for the building basically showcases the AONB for the patrons, and it supports and is supported by local farmers. Blocking that was dumb as poo poo. Those council members are idiots. I can definitely see how British people can easily get upset over the stupidity of their government. A lot of issues he has that his fellow farmers are complaining about seem like things he could lead up a movement to change.