Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
p-p-p-powerbook had a scammer owning intrigue which is a power fantasy the online have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Alan Smithee posted:

p-p-p-powerbook had a scammer owning intrigue which is a power fantasy the online have

The goon collaboration that went into it is what made it so memorable. There was a goon in the internet cafe it was delivered to, when it happened. It went from "I think someone is scamming me" to "lets gently caress with them" really quick.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Some things age pretty well, like the "How did this get here I am not good with computers" parking saga.

Others were just "Goons were being shitheads but it was lol because we were all terrible shits back then."

Groverhaus was also better because of how some of the mods reacted to it.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Reading the proto-GIP "ask us about joining the US military" thread helped steer me away from the Army and into the Air Force instead, right before the Iraq surge. So if it wasn't for SA I'd possibly be injured or dead, shitposting from heaven

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Midjack posted:

Already happened at least once.

My mom bought this account for me when I was 16

Also we once sent a huge swarm of bees to Africa for charity

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 16, 2023

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
We Were Posters Once…and Young

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Groverhaus wasn't as great at the time, then someone found the sesame street grover gif. And someone made this: :grovertoot:
Straying far from the Ukraine topic here, but what should I be reading into the weird horizontal pipe? Just that Grover was a loving idiot who had no idea what he was doing?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

HonorableTB posted:

My mom bought this account for me when I was 16

Heifer International probably spent more money trying to get me to donate in the following 10 years than I donated in the first place lol

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cugel the Clever posted:

Straying far from the Ukraine topic here, but what should I be reading into the weird horizontal pipe? Just that Grover was a loving idiot who had no idea what he was doing?

It's derived from :toot:

edit: lol drat it's funnier and somehow I didn't know or long ago forgot.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 17, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cugel the Clever posted:

the pipe can be seen here

no one can figure out what the gently caress it is, why it's there, or why there's a random-rear end window cut out of a shed for it

people theorized it might be HVAC of some sort but i've never seen HVAC use PVC piping like that, unless he's trying to cool down an Arleigh Burke or something

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

HonorableTB posted:

I remember that. The charity wouldn't allow a whole bunch of donated goats to all go to one person (the GOATLORD!) so it was decided to spread BEEEEEES! all over the continent.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

here's the thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2253640&userid=26948

i scrolled through and stopped at random and got this:

quote:

The city came out and failed me, though! Said I had too many things on a single half-inch pipe! I protested, saying that the chance of us doing more than 2 things simultaneously is low, and the impact of turning on 3 or 4 things even lower (what, the toilet will fill up slower?) and that I’d much rather have 1/2” pipe through an insulated space than 3/4” freezing in my attic, but they wouldn’t budge- apparently I’m required to be able to water my garden and wash my car the same time I’m running my dishwasher, taking a shower and flushing the toilet. Ended up having to run 3/4” pipe through the uninsulated attic (the plumping inspector supervisor taught me a good trick to insulate it) and soldering a whole mess of copper tubing overtop the hot water heater- the only other accessible point in the house. My wife sweated all the fitting together and we put it into place, only to discover that our efforts had cracked every single solder joint on the heater, which started weeping. You can’t just resolder them, though, it all has to be taken back apart and redone from scratch! She worked until 2am two nights in a row so I could take a hot shower in the morning before work, and finally got them done. City passed us this time- sept was gone, and it was the middle of October.

which i feel is pretty emblematic of the whole loving deal, grover trying to prove he knows better than code and failing miserably

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Didn’t he take the exam just to pass his own house eventually?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i think that might have been someone fakeposting but i'm not sure

what i can confirm though is that he hosed up building the extension so badly that the hurricane straps were bearing the entire load of the wall

quote:

Edit: Oh, and the tie-in with the existing house! In my case, I decided it was easier just to put in a 2nd wall, as I would have had to dick too much with the roof to try to tie straight in; the existing footer wasn't really built for a 2-story house, either. This will also allow for the settling in the addition to (hopefuly) be even. I ended up undercutting my foundation and pouring a new footer about a foot deeper than the old footer, which the masons blocked up, with a 1" gap. Wasn't enough- the existing wall bowed in 1.5" which ended up messing with my new walls too, which sucked :( You can't tell in the finished house, but it was readily apparent when hanging the kitchen cabinets, and it still bothers me that my wall isn't perfectly plumb! The two walls are nailed together at several places, most notably, I nailed the the ceiling in the old kitchen to the header I put on the new wall when I broke the new opening between the two. I placed a 2x6 above the existing joists in the attic, used 16D nails to nail through to the new triped 2x12 header, and put on hurricane straps to support the existing joists. Then I knocked out the 2x4s holding the ceiling up. So, essentially, the ceiling is now suspected by hurricane straps from a board nailed through sheating into the other wall! I hope there isn't much settlings between the walls, heh.

grover is like the textbook definition of why you shouldn't trust a design engineer with tools

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

the USA should send grover to build fortresses for russia, it's the best aid they could give ukraine

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

grover is like the textbook definition of why you shouldn't trust a design engineer with tools

He also thought he he could lay a floor slab on $400 of decorative garden gravel in the great dismal swamp

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Supposedly he moved away and someone else bought it a few years ago. Whoever owns it, Google Street View pix from 2019 show that it appears externally unchanged from its completed state.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Any alteration made reverts when the owner sleeps. And their pet vanishes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Midjack posted:

Supposedly he moved away and someone else bought it a few years ago. Whoever owns it, Google Street View pix from 2019 show that it appears externally unchanged from its completed state.

It's in MSFS 2020

https://twitter.com/BoldlyBuilding2/status/1295870236080648192

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

This forum was the driving force behind Two Girls One Cup, AKA The Metis Video.

We watched the script evolve, money come in, and then averted our eyes from the final product.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

here's the thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2253640&userid=26948

i scrolled through and stopped at random and got this:

which i feel is pretty emblematic of the whole loving deal, grover trying to prove he knows better than code and failing miserably

Hard to pick a favorite detail but putting like 20 outlets in his kitchen was fun

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Itchy_Grundle posted:

We watched the script evolve, money come in, and then averted our eyes from the final product.

You’re thinking of swap.avi

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I hadn't seen this crop up in here: The Austrian Army released a 2022 recap video on the Russo-Ukraine War a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54daqNraMxE

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Itchy_Grundle posted:

bwghagagagaaaaaaaaaaaasdf

asdf
asdjfkasdfhkjasdf

im dying that this is your first probation

dying

Slava Ukrainia

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Crab Dad posted:

bwghagagagaaaaaaaaaaaasdf

asdf
asdjfkasdfhkjasdf

im dying that this is your first probation

dying

Slava Ukrainia

20 loving years lol almost

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
s tier lepers colony entry

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Watching Killdozer realtime with goons was something else. 9/11, too, obviously. And of course, the zip line, whatever the name of the Hawaii fiasco was, and a couple dozen outright meltdowns from weirdos or worse.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The one I always remember was goons correctly calling Biden as Obama's VP pick before the networks, and proving it by getting pizza delivered to his house and watching the secret service answer the door on live CNN.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

https://twitter.com/bugliker/status/1615040686159429652

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

lmao

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Some of the roommate horror story threads were fantastic, too, especially when goons started illustrating them. I specifically remember one about a guy whose roommate eventually had a full Colonel Kurtz mental breakdown, and he built a wall on his side of the apartment. The guy went exploring the heart of darkness and it was completely covered in poo poo. He wound up finding the roommate in the bathtub completely filled with shitwater.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Murgos posted:

What the other said but all specific attributes of almost anything that can defeat or mitigate a military thing just get classified on general principle.

The specific manufacturing processes and materials and sizing and angle and etc… would all tell an opponent exactly what size penetrator to use at what distance(s) to overcome it making the armor less useful and reducing its value.

Do the Russians have a pretty good idea of Chobam style armors performance? Of course, but they may not have exact data for that package on that tank and that lack of knowledge drives up their R&D costs and impacts their training and preparation.

It’s all a big mind game.

Incoming crappy 3rd person arcade tank game nerf to challenger 2.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Godholio posted:

whatever the name of the Hawaii fiasco was,

idk this one

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Someone convinced some other goons to join them on a plot in Hawaii with no utilities to start a commune. I think they had issues with feral pigs, but wasn't the '30-50 feral hogs' thread

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yeah it was meant to be like fun goon project to build an eco resort or something with people imagining living off of mangoes or something. in reality it ended up with like goon slave labor and they were trying to kill wild pigs for food while making zero progress

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sounds vaguely familiar but also has probably mixed with every libertarian sea stead and failed ancap town

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah it was meant to be like fun goon project to build an eco resort or something with people imagining living off of mangoes or something. in reality it ended up with like goon slave labor and they were trying to kill wild pigs for food while making zero progress

did they say "kill the beast"

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Alan Smithee posted:

idk this one

Goon decided that it'd be a great idea to start an island commune.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3123495
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3151205

E:
Here's a fun video of them chopping down a tree directly into one of their (very few) food sources!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcOXCO6M5kk

Kith fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 17, 2023

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Parisian catacombs.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wasn't danish sub murder guy also affiliated with SA somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

psydude posted:

Wasn't danish sub murder guy also affiliated with SA somehow?

One of the (presumably regular non-murderer) people who worked with him in his rocket company were afaik