Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Angry_Ed posted:

So Bannon is what, 0 for 2 now? Or are there more I'm not remembering.

germany

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Completely forgot he was involved with that as well.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Angry_Ed posted:

Completely forgot he was involved with that as well.

Was he? I only heard about Jan 6 and Jan 8.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Fuschia tude posted:

Was he? I only heard about Jan 6 and Jan 8.

idk if he was involved in it personally (and I don't think he was, certainly not in any way comparable to his involvement with Trump or Bolsonaro) but the reichsburger idiots had reached out to bannon and apparently saw him as a source of inspiration

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i just want to live in the timeline where Bannon and the Mercers can no longer do international flight because other countries want to blackbag them.

oh and then they try to do "hehe im not touching you" but with international-territorial waters with their giant super yachts ( a boat so big it has a pool with a boat in it) and they sow what they reap.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

PhazonLink posted:

i just want to live in the timeline where Bannon and the Mercers can no longer do international flight because other countries want to blackbag them.

oh and then they try to do "hehe im not touching you" but with international-territorial waters with their giant super yachts ( a boat so big it has a pool with a boat in it) and they sow what they reap.

The Mercers wandering through uncontrolled waters like Steve Zissou and being kidnapped by pirates would be the best news day ever and I think we all deserve it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lager posted:

The Mercers wandering through uncontrolled waters like Steve Zissou and being kidnapped by pirates would be the best news day ever and I think we all deserve it.

Many of the mega yachts don’t have fuel tanks big enough for ocean crossing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Many of the mega yachts don’t have fuel tanks big enough for ocean crossing.

That seems like a silly design decision, but then again I’m not the target audience for a floating Bond villain lair.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

That seems like a silly design decision, but then again I’m not the target audience for a floating Bond villain lair.

You lift them out of the water and ship them by vessel seasonally to where the weather is nice, which you fly to in a private jet and your crew flies to a few weeks before commercially before you get there.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

You lift them out of the water and ship them by vessel seasonally to where the weather is nice, which you fly to in a private jet and your crew flies to a few weeks before commercially before you get there.

God rich people are dumb.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

God rich people are dumb.

He's not joking btw. This is a whole industry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5qgF_V7Cvg

edit: copy/paste error, but the original is worth keeping. this is the real video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBNcYxHJPLE

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

forbidden dialectics posted:

He's not joking btw. This is a whole industry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5qgF_V7Cvg

Thanks for the whole heaping-a spaghetti pile of informaziones

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Sounds kinda low to me.

https://twitter.com/KaraScannell/status/1614047042296332289

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/13/trump-organization-to-be-sentenced-for-criminal-tax-fraud-and-conspiracy.html

"The Trump Organization, former President Donald Trump’s business empire, was hit with a $1.6 million fine Friday for tax fraud and other crimes committed as part of a yearslong scheme to help some of its top executives avoid paying taxes on compensation.

The Trump Corp. and The Trump Payroll Corp., two subsidiaries of the Trump Organization, were both sentenced to the maximum possible fines under New York laws. The Trump Organization has denied all wrongdoing and is planning to appeal the verdict."

"The Manhattan district attorney’s office accused Weisselberg of receiving more than $1.7 million in unreported compensation over more than a decade. That compensation came in the form of rent payments on luxury apartments, home furnishings, Mercedes-Benz cars for him and his wife, parking garage expenses, and private school tuition payments for his grandchildren, prosecutors alleged."

So Weisselberg comes out ahead?
e: well since Trump likely got most of the money...

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 14, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

OgNar posted:

Sounds kinda low to me.

https://twitter.com/KaraScannell/status/1614047042296332289

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/13/trump-organization-to-be-sentenced-for-criminal-tax-fraud-and-conspiracy.html

"The Trump Organization, former President Donald Trump’s business empire, was hit with a $1.6 million fine Friday for tax fraud and other crimes committed as part of a yearslong scheme to help some of its top executives avoid paying taxes on compensation.

The Trump Corp. and The Trump Payroll Corp., two subsidiaries of the Trump Organization, were both sentenced to the maximum possible fines under New York laws. The Trump Organization has denied all wrongdoing and is planning to appeal the verdict."

"The Manhattan district attorney’s office accused Weisselberg of receiving more than $1.7 million in unreported compensation over more than a decade. That compensation came in the form of rent payments on luxury apartments, home furnishings, Mercedes-Benz cars for him and his wife, parking garage expenses, and private school tuition payments for his grandchildren, prosecutors alleged."

So Weisselberg comes out ahead?
e: well since Trump likely got most of the money...

Weisselberg also had to pay everything he profited from the violations, including interest, in addition to actual jail time. As the coverage communicates, the orgs are appealing and the DA's planning additional charges.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Friend posted:

Thanks for the whole heaping-a spaghetti pile of informaziones

Not on the subject of Nintendo Sex Ed, but still on the yacht derail. They mention that 10% of the purchase price a year in maintenance and that’s accurate. They’re fantastically expensive even for the wealthy, serious sums even for the rich. In the underwriting of these yachts the underwriters look into the finances of these high wealth folks. They want to make damned sure they can afford these boats.

It occurs to me the yacht underwriters might actually have the best real tangible idea of rich folks wealth, backed with support documentation.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 14, 2023

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It occurs to me the yacht underwriters might actually have the best real tangible idea of rich folks wealth, backed with support documentation.

It Trumps banks and accountants and their auditors can be duped for decades with obviously sham valuations with literal billions is losses at stake then there is no there there. As long as you pay your premiums they actually don’t give a poo poo because the account manager needs his bonus.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Murgos posted:

It Trumps banks and accountants and their auditors can be duped for decades with obviously sham valuations with literal billions is losses at stake then there is no there there. As long as you pay your premiums they actually don’t give a poo poo because the account manager needs his bonus.

I don’t think he’s managed to own one since the 90’s and those are interesting if one looks at their history’s (bought from and then sold back to Saudi’s), the involvement of Manafort, and the extremely deep discount they were purchased for and then sold at.

What I would say is that if your yacht is for money laundering. They’re going to want to know that and lol buying it a 1/10 it’s value (literally the yearly maintenance cost) is going to satisfy them that they aren’t going to lose money.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 14, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think some of the confusion here is people are thinking about damage insurance like the policy one would buy for a small boat. Not serious hull and machinery policies that ships and vessel big enough to be inspected by class / flag get. The mega yachts and just regular big yachts are getting into that second category that is alien to most people.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I think some of the confusion here is people are thinking about damage insurance like the policy one would buy for a small boat. Not serious hull and machinery policies that ships and vessel big enough to be inspected by class / flag get. The mega yachts and just regular big yachts are getting into that second category that is alien to most people.

The biggest, most wonderful and beautiful yachts in all of history that no one has ever seen before. Many people and a lot of veterans say this with tears in their eyes

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

The biggest, most wonderful and beautiful yachts in all of history that no one has ever seen before. Many people and a lot of veterans say this with tears in their eyes

Owning a boat is similar to owning a car you interact with the state and insurance in analogous ways.

Once you start getting into a certain amount of crew and gross tonnages above certain limits things start to change fundamentally. It’s a very different set of rules. (And this point is where I’m going to bring this discussion into sort of on topic). Suddenly flag wants to inspect yearly. Suddenly classification society need to inspect to issues statutory certificates. Suddenly port states show interest. And suddenly the relationship with the insurers changes, it ceases to be like car insurance and you get into an older more esoteric space governed by international treaties and the very origins of our systems of laws.

And there is where this comes back around to the thread topic. The rich know all this. It’s part of why they have a boner for yachts. If you look at where does insurance come from? Where does international law come from? Where do corporations come from? Where do states come from? Where does modernity come from? Vessels are a big part (but not the whole) of the answers to those questions.

These yachts are also the very very rich intentionally participating in those origins. All those systems having a mega yacht is a social marker that the rich person has a organization capable of navigating those systems.

If your organization can deal with a dispute with flag/class/Port state it’s capable of delaying and disputing a conflict with a state within just about any other arena.

Something like say, Manafort getting a dredging permit hurried. That tells one an awful lot about what he is capable of. I have seen multinationals fail to be able to pull that specific thing off.

Superficially these yachts are about pleasure. But that’s not the only reason someone like a Russian oligarch would want one.

The folks doing something like the Trump boat parade. They don’t know all this explicitly. But they’re aspiring to the marker without knowing what it is actually marker for.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Bar Ran Dun posted:

If your organization can deal with a dispute with flag/class/Port state it’s capable of delaying and disputing a conflict with a state within just about any other arena.

This makes a lot of sense and goes some distance to explaining why Scientology, for example, is so into boats (beyond the more superficial reason that LRon had enjoyed his time in the navy).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Lucasar posted:

This makes a lot of sense and goes some distance to explaining why Scientology, for example, is so into boats (beyond the more superficial reason that LRon had enjoyed his time in the navy).

And there's that time Hub-dog spent multiple years on a cult boat where everyone had to call him "commodore" while they sailed the world looking for gold he'd hidden in a past life. You know, when he made a secret police force of preteen girls in sailor outfits.

El-Ron loving loved boats, a lot.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

You getting at the other reasons some very rich folks like yachts there too. They enable some real gross behaviors. They’re a way to physically isolate and tin remove any way for people to leave situations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bar Ran Dun posted:

You getting at the other reasons some very rich folks like yachts there too. They enable some real gross behaviors.

Yeah I also watched Triangle of Sadness

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I have not. I saw crew do it when I was a cadet though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah I also watched Sunny in Philadelphia "the implication" scene on youtube

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Bar Ran Dun posted:

You getting at the other reasons some very rich folks like yachts there too. They enable some real gross behaviors. They’re a way to physically isolate and tin remove any way for people to leave situations.

El Ron Hombre was also convicted of fraud in abstentia in one or two countries. What better way to evade lawyers than be on the high seas.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Automatic Slim posted:

El Ron Hombre

Never referring to him as anything but this now

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xand_Man posted:

El Ron Hombre is a loving gold username too.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

nine-gear crow posted:

El Ron Hombre is a loving gold username too.

It’s my OnlyFans handle.
Not really.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Murgos posted:

Georgia is up to bat first.

They finished their investigation and ended the special grand jury who have written a full report with prosecution (or non-prosecution) recommendations. There is a hearing at the end of the month to determine if it should be made public and what parts of it and on what time frame.

So, indictments may come out before or coincident with its release.

Expect Trump and company to file suit imminently to try and suppress it being made public which should bring all kinds of interesting details and to come out through the filing while we wait.

I'm guessing Willis is hoping the judge will release it so she can just follow the recommendation of the report and reduce the flack from whether or not there are proprietorial recommendations or if they only stay at local levels but somehow don't reach Trump.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

V-Men posted:

I'm guessing Willis is hoping the judge will release it so she can just follow the recommendation of the report and reduce the flack from whether or not there are proprietorial recommendations or if they only stay at local levels but somehow don't reach Trump.

I don’t know the wording of the Georgia constitutional clause but I assume it follows the federal fifth amendment which says that criminal proceedings can start only from presentments or indictments.

The hearing on the 24th is to determine if this document is actually a presentment. If it is a presentment the law is clear, he “shall publish” it. Even if it is a presentment, and GA does allow charging off a presentment, Willis may still decide to take it to a grand jury for an indictment just to avoid any legal wrangling over using the obscure presentment clause.

The reports recommendations, written by average citizens, and grand jury indictments, also written by average citizens , are a lot of political cover for a DA to deflect the right wing vendetta narrative they’ve already started cooking up.

“The people of Georgia have investigated this and found that they have great cause for concern”

Trump and his cronies may somehow manage to convince the judge that this report is not a presentment and thus shouldn’t be published. More likely, IMO, is that the doc is found to be a presentment and Trump sues to stop it being published on some specious point of law and its great harm to him.

As far as I can tell there is no restriction on Willis taking the report to a grand jury at any time though so she could do that while any suits or appeals are wrangled over.

We all heard Trump ask Raffensburger to falsify election results and even try and bribe and threaten him with illegal use of his presidential powers so it’s going to be interesting to see what the report says. I can’t imagine a “this is fine result” but eh, dumber poo poo has happened.

I’m hoping for a full on conspiracy to defraud GA charge that ropes in the false electors, Trumps lawyers, meadows and the rest of them. Like, 50 or 60 charges across a couple of dozen people.

Edit: since this conspiracy was national do other states have a cause of action? Can Massachusetts sue Trump for attempting to defraud them of their rightful president?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 16, 2023

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Murgos posted:

I don’t know the wording of the Georgia constitutional clause but I assume it follows the federal fifth amendment which says that criminal proceedings can start only from presentments or indictments.

The hearing on the 24th is to determine if this document is actually a presentment. If it is a presentment the law is clear, he “shall publish” it. Even if it is a presentment, and GA does allow charging off a presentment, Willis may still decide to take it to a grand jury for an indictment just to avoid any legal wrangling over using the obscure presentment clause.

Ah, my understanding was that the hearing on the 24th is just to determine whether the report is publicly published and that Willis was free to present the report to a regular grand jury for an indictment whenever she wanted.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
For some reason NPR did a news segment about how the published Jan 6th report didn't sell as much as expected and compared it to sales of the Mueller report and a few others.

First of all, who gives a poo poo?

Second of all, the entire god damned thing was aired live and exists on YouTUbe for anyone who wants to "read" it.

Just seemed like a weird thing to mention.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
They sell those things? There's a PDF though.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

At least one of the news creatures (Ari Melber?) had it as a hardcover book with annotations and interviews and whatever. I’m guessing it’s that or something parallel?

But yeah, hardly shocked since it’s a compilation publicly available documents. This seems less like a Jan 6 story and more like “Questionable Coffee-table Book Sells Poorly”.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripbooks&rh=p_27%3AJanuary+6th+Committee&s=relevancerank&text=January+6th+Committee&ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1
Theres actually quite a few listed books as the Jan 6 Committee as a partial author

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

BiggerBoat posted:

For some reason NPR did a news segment about how the published Jan 6th report didn't sell as much as expected and compared it to sales of the Mueller report and a few others.

First of all, who gives a poo poo?

Second of all, the entire god damned thing was aired live and exists on YouTUbe for anyone who wants to "read" it.

Just seemed like a weird thing to mention.

Everyone's trying to make a buck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Tayter Swift posted:

There are published hardcopy versions of most big congressional special reports like that. Unfortunately all the people who would have bought them are succumbing to covid 19