Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Day 9: Ura the magician, I didn't know casting spells was a legal move: https://clips.twitch.tv/EncouragingTransparentMallardPJSugar-F5C9JOk32nK5WUN3 -- The slow motion replay is even better: https://clips.twitch.tv/LaconicInexpensiveCaterpillarTBTacoLeft-AN6D9kI7A4xJzNdI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 9: SHODAI

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It was found out that Mr. Mustard is the head chef and/or owner of a trendy restaurant in Kanazawa. He was wearing his chef uniform as a way to "promote" the place by getting on camera for most of the day.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Ura is having a pretty good tournament, but I can't tell whether it's because of excellent power & technique or because his opponents have been so prepared for his shenanigans that they get surprised when he bullcharges right through them

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Log082 posted:

Day 9: SHODAI

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Bentai posted:

Day 9: Ura the magician, I didn't know casting spells was a legal move: https://clips.twitch.tv/EncouragingTransparentMallardPJSugar-F5C9JOk32nK5WUN3 -- The slow motion replay is even better: https://clips.twitch.tv/LaconicInexpensiveCaterpillarTBTacoLeft-AN6D9kI7A4xJzNdI

He looks so pleased with himself!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

oldskool posted:

Ura is having a pretty good tournament, but I can't tell whether it's because of excellent power & technique or because his opponents have been so prepared for his shenanigans that they get surprised when he bullcharges right through them

There was definitely a point where I though his gimmickry was going to be the end of him, as he had success on Day 3 going very low against Oho, tried against on Day 4 against Ryuden who was ready for it and got pasted, then tried it yet again against Takanosho who was also completely ready for it and pasted him to the dohyo. Even though he won Day 6 it felt more like that was because Sadanoumi wasn't ready for it (despite him doing the same thing every day for the last three days). It's been nice to see him change it up and even better to see it paying off for him!

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Day 9: Abi after witnessing Ura's telekinetic kimarite

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Oh Mr. Mustard is a way better name. I hope he comes back.

Also love the grinning applauder. He's having such a good time.

I've seen a poster of kimarite with illustration and the phonetic + translation of the move. Is there a poster size .pdf of that or just a poster I can buy? My cube at work is turning into the SUMOZONE, and this would help immensely.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

gently caress off      Chiyoshoma you big turd

Takakeisho really can't afford to lose any more blood so I'm glad this one went quickly lol

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 16, 2023

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Day 9 I hope Hoshoryu is okay. If Takakeisho wins this tournament they have to give him a rope. He has a Jun-Yusho from last time with a playoff and if he can squeeze out an impressive record here even the grumpy old men have no excuse. We might have two Yokozuna and no Ozeki in March. Wild stuff.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

some kinda jackal posted:

I disagree!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Day 9 I hope Hoshoryu is okay. If Takakeisho wins this tournament they have to give him a rope. He has a Jun-Yusho from last time with a playoff and if he can squeeze out an impressive record here even the grumpy old men have no excuse. We might have two Yokozuna and no Ozeki in March. Wild stuff.

Yeah, Hohoryu going out would suck. Even if he's good enough to go though, it might be enough to throw off his Ozeki run.

they already said if he gets a good Yusho he's in. I think 13/14 is he's in for sure, maybe a 12 win Yusho. If he backs into a 11 win Yusho because everyone else sucks too then I could see them being jerks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beeswax posted:

I disagree!

Sir you have besmirched the honour of Takarafuji and I challenge you to a duel. Handfuls of salt at twenty paces.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Good day of sumo!

I love when they show the rikishi's faces after a henka.

I'm happy that Ura is doing well this tournament despite still having a very weak tachii. He's such a goofy bastard and when it's working it's always very fun to watch. To think he was actually my second pick this time and I landed with him because everyone went for Oho!

I think this is the second tournament in a row I've seen someone not finish their plate with Ryuden. Glad it didn't bite Wakatakakage like it did the last person (if I remember correctly).

Wakamotoharu vs Hoshoryu was a fun match with some mind games and an unexpected outcome. The Waka bros seem to be staying lock step with their scores this tournament. I hope Hoshoryu is okay. It would very much suck to have to go kyujo when he's seemingly so close to ozeki.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Day 9: Come on Ura!

Hope Hoshouryu is ok :ohdead:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Takakeisho really can't afford to lose any more blood so I'm glad this one went quickly lol

Look at him though, that guy’s just full of blood

I’m glad Ura is doing so well but he’s been looking real shaky off the tachiai and today was no exception, like his whole rhythm is off

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sir you have besmirched the honour of Takarafuji and I challenge you to a duel. Handfuls of salt at twenty paces.

Look I love the #1 hard-working salaryman of sumo, but he's been around for ages and should know better than to charge headlong at the wiliest, most mercenary man in the game.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Beeswax posted:

Look I love the #1 hard-working salaryman of sumo, but he's been around for ages and should know better than to charge headlong at the wiliest, most mercenary man in the game.

:hmmyes:

Chiyoshoma is a certified henka master. It might not be the most prestigious of titles, but he sure has earned it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Beeswax posted:

Takarafuji also was in the same heya as Aminishiki, the former king of henkas. Ajigawa-oyakata would've been shaking his head.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Oh Mr. Mustard is a way better name. I hope he comes back.

Also love the grinning applauder. He's having such a good time.

I've seen a poster of kimarite with illustration and the phonetic + translation of the move. Is there a poster size .pdf of that or just a poster I can buy? My cube at work is turning into the SUMOZONE, and this would help immensely.

This one? https://bigsumofan.com/products/kimarite-guide?_pos=1&_sid=6c0d00c52&_ss=r

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Day 9

Ura/Nishikifuji - God it's so endearing watching Ura do bizarre little flourishes like circus tumbles while getting thrown or, in this case, fluttering his hands to gently fan Nishikifuji to the ground. :allears:

Hoshoryu/Wakamotoharu - poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo I hope Hoshoryu is okay. :smith:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Mode 7 posted:

Day 9

Hoshoryu/Wakamotoharu - poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo I hope Hoshoryu is okay. :smith:

The way that he was hobbling off really didn't look great. Hoping it's just a twist but the way that ankle inverted made me think of a snapped ligament injury I got a few years back...

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Natto's video showed an interesting bit about that Hoshoryu bout. You could tell after the call he was looking for a mono-ii. On the way out he stopped to watch the slow motion replay.

I was also surprised at the lack of mono-ii until I watched the replay.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1615163586913107968

Dang...

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Can't remember whose in my team but if I've got him just swap for whoever

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
🥺 Hoshoryu was the first rikishi I fell in love with so I hope my beautiful Mongolian boy is okay. I was mercenary with Tochinoshin but can't do him like that.

Kenning if this would be an auto-trade I'd like to refuse it if possible, tia

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

auuuuuuuugh!! He was on his way! He was doing so good!

Hopefully he heals up quick and can take another ozeki run this year, but it sucks that this one ends like this.

Marching Powder posted:

Can't remember whose in my team but if I've got him just swap for whoever

Also, yeah, I don't remember how kyujo trades go this late but I guess swap him for Best Available. :smith:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

IIRC week 2 kyujo trades are automatic and try to go by your draft list so dont worry too much about it other than finding out who you got. Chaos basho continues.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I guess let's all keep rooting for Takakeisho to get it done?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Teddybear posted:

I guess let's all keep rooting for Takakeisho to get it done?

Hey, everyone has Takakeisho so if he wins we all win.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Talk about a bummer 😞

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

This sucks, but has to be the right call long term. Hoshoryu is still relatively young so needs to prioritize his health and longevity. I imagine with this record he'll either land at komusubi or m1-2. That's going to be a hard first week in March. If anyone can overcome that it's Hoshoryu.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

lol if you get mad over a henka

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

loving sucks that Hoshoryu got hurt but silver lining is he didn't try to tough out two more wins before going kyujo while making the injury worse.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Charles Gnarwin posted:

loving sucks that Hoshoryu got hurt but silver lining is he didn't try to tough out two more wins before going kyujo while making the injury worse.

about that....

https://twitter.com/Hakkeyoi_Sumo/status/1615213121953480706

ratmosphere
Oct 31, 2017

Kuros posted:

Hey, everyone has Takakeisho so if he wins we all win.

It depends. If you have a runner-up on your team then you're gonna root against him, hoping that you won't need to share your macaron with everyone else.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

"Why go kyujo in the first place if you only need one day?"

You go kyujo for a day to avoid aggravating it and needing several months, but I get that's antithetical to sumo culture.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

That part of the culture needs to go. If Hosh's doctors say "give it a day and come back if it feels better" then that's fine, he doesn't need to make it worse. :(

Day 10: Enho might have gotten his left arm tweaked in his fight. He got the win, but at one point he got trapped in an arm bar/lock that sorta looked like it might have hyper-extended his elbow?

Shodai showed up.

Hair game on point tonight:

Bentai fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Shodai.