Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
no idea which is more pathetic: the lie, or the 8 likes from the state dept bots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The CCP is gulaging superstars and you're laughing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://verafiles.org/articles/who-foots-the-bill-for-marcos-davos-trip

https://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_AM23_List_of_confirmed_PFs.pdf

https://twitter.com/pia_gutierrez/status/1614860758759743489

____

so this "fact-checking" site claims that the Philippine delegation to Davos / WEF is as large as 70 people, and it cites unnamed "Filipinos living in Switzerland" as its source

meanwhile, the WEF's List of Public Figures accounts for just 12 persons, and the delegation list accounts for just 18 persons

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Palladium posted:

dude i live with my mom and don't even know where she is right now

Sounds like a subtle expression of concern about her whereabouts. The CCP will answer for this

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://www.rt.com/news/569856-maduro-bloc-russia-china/

quote:

During his annual speech at Venezuela’s parliament on Friday, Maduro said that he had recently spoken with the presidents of Brazil, Colombia, and Argentina about forming a new regional organization. According to Maduro, the time has come “to unite efforts and paths in Latin America and the Caribbean to advance in the formation of a powerful bloc of political forces, of economic power that speaks to the world.”

The Venezuelan president went on to say that the bloc would create “new poles of power,” and would be allied to Russia and China, the leaders of which Maduro referred to as “elder brothers.”

Such an alliance would comprise “that community of shared destiny that our elder brother President Xi Jinping talks about"

maduro embraces xi jinping thought

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The Latino Congress
The BAVC
The Caracas Cooperation Organization

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Just read the plot summaries of the Three Body Problem trilogy. god drat that's some bleak stuff. and I read the climate thread. one must imagine Sisyphus happy

It's so much a better read. The author has an amazing way of making you believe it's possible to overcome the obstacle and then slitting your throat. Series ends on a positive note of rebirth IMO which I personally very much enjoyed

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Throb Robinson posted:

It's so much a better read. The author has an amazing way of making you believe it's possible to overcome the obstacle and then slitting your throat. Series ends on a positive note of rebirth IMO which I personally very much enjoyed

I read the first one and struggled a lot with the horrible prose. It's good and interesting but oof I wish he was a better writer (I am aware it is a translation but apparently it's bad in the original too). Couldn't get very far in the second because of that. Maybe the TV show will be good.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

DiscountDildos posted:

I haven't read the three body problem but there's a show now and here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HJVhC80vIE

dang only 2 episodes available for free

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The 3rd book is like in a completely different genre of sci-fi.... you can't just read the first 2 books.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my bony fealty posted:

I read the first one and struggled a lot with the horrible prose. It's good and interesting but oof I wish he was a better writer (I am aware it is a translation but apparently it's bad in the original too). Couldn't get very far in the second because of that. Maybe the TV show will be good.

imo the 2nd book was the best. the 3rd book is cool in its own way but hes kinda bad at writing the romance part of it

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I definitely agree that the author has Frank Herbert disease where his command of prose is not equal to the ideas he is trying to put down. But like Dune I couldn't put them down once I started

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
How many women bust watching a guy climb some rocks?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the female orgasm is a myth, op

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

I liked it. Didn't think it had bad prose. I did raise my eyebrow at a few of the scientific concepts, like trying to use a genetic algorithm to solve the three body problem, but the narrative was good.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I wouldn't call the prose outright bad, it just had a very distinctive and extremely goofy quality that felt like it was communicating a lot about the author's personality and worldview much more directly than is typical in fiction. Little bit of a bummer that the only really interesting characters are dead by the end of the first book but I thought it was all worth the read anyway.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/jenniferzeng97/status/1614811569724035072?s=20

Inconvenient Truths, indeed

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I wish I could be paid to just make up big sounding numbers.

One trillion people in hubei died from too much tyranny today

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

if the chinese government is powerful enough to survive hundreds of millins of its own citizens dying and to cover it up so completely that there's zero known evidence of it... then we should surender to china right this minute.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
So, between COVID and SARS, China hid 40 megatons of dead people. A trifle, really, easy to dispose of.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the living worked round the clock as grave diggers, many digging their own grave and lying down in it

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Why not everyone in China's already dead and a wild ghost? :thunk:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Founder of Falun Gong has been dead for 10+ years.

HE DED

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So many deaths but also do many people alive can only mean one thing: lotta loving going on in China.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
finally, there's more americans than chinese

matty will be pleased

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1614868945785479168

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

HE DED

another victim of communism. gently caress, tankies like these tankie mods support this and jeff won’t close cspam. gamers, LEAVE NOW, THIS IS A GENOCIDE WEBSITE

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

HE DED

wait i thought he was still chilling in his compound in upstate NY

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
DED

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
man I must have missed at least some people I knew dying since I was living in Shenzhen during sars. hell I must have been super lucky.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

100 million dead WITH SARS

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

lol

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
How did sars kill hundreds of millions of Chinese people without spreading to other countries and killing comparable numbers?

The explanation for everyone in china dying of covid while the pandemic is over in the west is usually something to do with vaccines and antivirals made by Superior Western Science but there was never anything comparable during sars.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

How did sars kill hundreds of millions of Chinese people without spreading to other countries and killing comparable numbers?

The explanation for everyone in china dying of covid while the pandemic is over in the west is usually something to do with vaccines and antivirals made by Superior Western Science but there was never anything comparable during sars.

It was not as infectious and it was deadlier, so taken more seriously

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It was not as infectious and it was deadlier, so taken more seriously

Yeah I know that's what happened in reality, I mean in the alternate universe of the dumb tweet claiming 200m people died

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Yeah I know that's what happened in reality, I mean in the alternate universe of the dumb tweet claiming 200m people died

Oh, yeah

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

china is completely closed off and its impossible to know what happens inside much like my fantasy version of North Korea

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The scariest story of SARS is IMO when they had an outbreak in that Taiwanese hospital and they promptly sealed off all the entrances and told the hospital staff take one for the teamcountry. A few nurses and doctor died because of that.

It's exactly the plot from those Hollywood virus movies.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Mantis42 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

I wouldn't call the prose outright bad, it just had a very distinctive and extremely goofy quality that felt like it was communicating a lot about the author's personality and worldview much more directly than is typical in fiction. Little bit of a bummer that the only really interesting characters are dead by the end of the first book but I thought it was all worth the read anyway.

I found Andy Weir's The Martian to be like that -- did anyone who read them both feel that way?