Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

what is this

https://mobile.twitter.com/richterovertime/status/1613464534815236096

https://old.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/109w0fb/a_huge_tf2_leak_literally_just_happened/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That's not an "official content drop", it's "a drop of official content", except they actually should be saying "leak of unreleased first-party assets".
It's not an official drop because it wasn't Valve who made the release. It's not official because it's not released properly. It's not content because it's not an assembled ready-to-play package.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 12, 2023

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
yeah but 'this is the last new tf2 clickbait you or i will ever see' isn't as catchy

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
My understanding is that Valve makes copies of their development folders available to Source Engine licensees, and this (and the source code leak a while back) is from that in some form.

Looking at people spelunking through this on Twitter and such, a cavalcade of weird and interesting things. Grenade animations! Giant mecha sentries! Raid mode! Tens of unfinished MvM maps! Random models and poses for promo materials! The TFC Hunted map! A version of Mercenary Park from like seven years before it was released!

EDIT: Also, as far as the "THIS IS THE LAST CONTENT DUMP YOU'LL EVER SEE!!!" melodramatic stuff: Apparently a bunch of stuff is missing because I guess Valve did some spring cleaning at some point. Like the source PSDs for weapon and player model textures. Or pretty much anything pre-2007. So this isn't everything everything.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 12, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/Dude_The_Ninja/status/1613547185668251649

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Coffee bean

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I like the female versions of the mercs they made.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is it just me, or is this the spy crab taunt at 6:40-6:52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPVC4IyRTG8

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
i remember seeing that bonesaw in the bottom left as a custom skin for the ubersaw

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
performing a dark pagan ritual to get a strange original for less than 200 dollars

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

performing a dark pagan ritual to get a strange original for less than 200 dollars

Is that how much they cost now?

EDIT: Holy moly. Went and checked mine and "starting at £175.15" is underneath it. Also my strange original has pumpkin bombs halloween spell on it. Good lord.

EDIT 2: This had me curious about a few of my other stranges. Good grief. My strange gunslinger and pda :eyepop:

Why on earth is the strange original so expensive?

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGames posted:

Why on earth is the strange original so expensive?

It's relatively new so there's not a lot of them in circulation and the Original is the meta primary for the most popular class in the game. Most Soldier mains I know prefer it over Stock

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I bought my Strange Gunslinger and Strange Kritzkrieg from someone for a single Dota2 Beta invite back when they were limited

I just pray TF2 is still around in 30 years so I can sell them for a million bucks and retire

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Tf2's going to live forever

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

It's relatively new so there's not a lot of them in circulation and the Original is the meta primary for the most popular class in the game. Most Soldier mains I know prefer it over Stock

I could have sworn I had mine for years and years.

Otacon posted:

I bought my Strange Gunslinger and Strange Kritzkrieg from someone for a single Dota2 Beta invite back when they were limited

I just pray TF2 is still around in 30 years so I can sell them for a million bucks and retire

Yeah the strange gunslinger was one of my lucky crate opens. And a while back I whacked a prof killstreak kit on it.

This explains why so many random people with TF2 inventories on their front page try adding me as of late.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGames posted:

I could have sworn I had mine for years and years.

Oh poo poo nvm, it's from a 2013 crate. Could've sworn it was much more recent, the crate itself seems incredibly rare though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah, it's expensive because it's from a retired crate so there's a limited supply in circulation(and less and less soldier mains are willing to part with theirs).

that said if anyone is willing to part with theirs for, uh, less than $200 I'd genuinely appreciate it

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

VideoGames posted:

This explains why so many random people with TF2 inventories on their front page try adding me as of late.

Yes, every other day for my account. All of them have PC specs in their profile and that they do TF2 modeling or coding or map making or whatever.

Every single one is an F2P account that used a program to get all the free Uncraftable weapon rewards. Easy to check. Instant ignore/block. They try to trick you into logging in to a phishing website to play in their comp match.

EDIT: Crate 30/40/50 were the limited drop crates with those valuable stranges. Very rare and not a guarantee that you'll get a valuable strange.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
hey also why is there no such thing as a strange eureka effect

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I’m one of those weirdos who had a strange original that I won’t give up. I get scam attempts fairly often, and they are usually pretty poorly put together.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What does the current phishing scam get out of you? They want you to sign into a shady site with your steam account to upvote them or join a competitive team or whatever. What info can one get via a steamworks login?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Heran Bago posted:

What does the current phishing scam get out of you? They want you to sign into a shady site with your steam account to upvote them or join a competitive team or whatever. What info can one get via a steamworks login?

Your steam login and password and your 1-time security code

Which lets them login as you, change your email address, and (eventually) empty your account of anything sellable

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Well I guess I have to set my inventory private again if it's not already! I've been getting weird friend requests recently from multiple accounts saying they're a "3d artist (now developing tf2 maps)" using 3x3090s and Blender. Checked my inventory and sure enough I've got a strange original I've been hanging onto for forever :v:

E: Huh it's already set private. What's up with the latest wave of friendbots on steam then?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Dieting Hippo posted:

Well I guess I have to set my inventory private again if it's not already! I've been getting weird friend requests recently from multiple accounts saying they're a "3d artist (now developing tf2 maps)" using 3x3090s and Blender. Checked my inventory and sure enough I've got a strange original I've been hanging onto for forever :v:

E: Huh it's already set private. What's up with the latest wave of friendbots on steam then?

Identical to my recent experiences.

My best guess? https://www.backpack.tf caches everything, including your last public inventory. They have my backpack all the way back to 2014. The scammers are using a different site to parse through all those public backpacks looking for expensive goodies. More than likely the last public snapshot of your backpack has some of those expensive goodies and they figure they might as well try to steal 'em from you anyway.

EDIT: Check their games owned - usually just 2 or 3 F2P games, but everything "Owned" will be F2P. Check their TF2 inventory - it'll only be about 30 items, all of which are untradable/uncraftable. They will typically be Steam level 10-15. Ignore the hours played - it's all spent idling.

If you accept their friend request, they ask if you have any favorite class to play, and that their team needs a player for a match but you need to login to the tournament website to authenticate your account with the league. It looks like you're logging in through Steam but I assure you, anything you enter there goes to a script that tries to login and change your email/password to steal your account.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 31, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Otacon posted:

Your steam login and password and your 1-time security code

Which lets them login as you, change your email address, and (eventually) empty your account of anything sellable

That's still possible with 2FA requirement for trades? The API exposes my Steam password to third party sites!?

I fell for one of these a few weeks ago and changed my password right away. They always open by asking what my casual TF2 level is. My inventory and purchase histories don't show anything odd but now I'm paranoid.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Heran Bago posted:

That's still possible with 2FA requirement for trades? The API exposes my Steam password to third party sites!?

I fell for one of these a few weeks ago and changed my password right away. They always open by asking what my casual TF2 level is. My inventory and purchase histories don't show anything odd but now I'm paranoid.

When properly used in good faith, the API does NOT share any of your credentials with the parent site.

They aren't using the API properly, and definitely not in good faith. These sites are maliciously designed to look like they use the authentic Steam API but are (also?) sending your login info to the site owner.

Dunno how current my info is, but they used to use IFrames or cross-site scripting to trick you into seeing the "steamcommunity" URL, even though it wasn't the actual page being served. I know previously they used to register look-alike domains, like SteanCommunity or SteamCommumity or other similar letter-swaps.

EDIT: If you're concerned, check and make sure there are no APIs registered on your profile: https://steamcommunity.com/dev/apikey. If you want to be extra safe you can log out from all devices (except your mobile app) by going to your Steam launcher and selecting Settings > Account > Manage Steam Guard Account Security > Deauthorize all other computers now. Run MalwareBytes/virus scanner while you're at it.

EDIT2: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamScams/ has posts showing a few these look-alike domain names, but most of the posts here are just social engineering and managing to convince idiots that SteamSupport uses Discord.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 31, 2023

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

So it's not that a steamworks login lets sites access your poo poo, it's that the sites fake a steamworks login.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

VideoGames posted:

Yeah the strange gunslinger was one of my lucky crate opens. And a while back I whacked a prof killstreak kit on it.

That was like double lucky since you already had to find crate 30 in the first place, which also goes for ridiculous amounts of money.

If you, or anyone else, do ever want to sell that stuff for actual usable money and not get scammed, hit me up.

Otacon posted:

Yes, every other day for my account. All of them have PC specs in their profile and that they do TF2 modeling or coding or map making or whatever.

Every single one is an F2P account that used a program to get all the free Uncraftable weapon rewards. Easy to check. Instant ignore/block. They try to trick you into logging in to a phishing website to play in their comp match.

EDIT: Crate 30/40/50 were the limited drop crates with those valuable stranges. Very rare and not a guarantee that you'll get a valuable strange.

People ought to be aware of these because its everywhere, they all have 2 year old accounts, use an anime girl profile pic and have this exact same description on their profile copy pasted in hundreds of accounts:

quote:

I'm a 3d artist (now I'm developing tf2 maps). Blender + Using 3x3090 to render
I've been playing tf2 since 2015. My fav maps is cp_sunshine and cp_gorge.
Let me know if you need my skills in development. Feel free to add me.

Another weird thing that happened to me literally yesterday is that somebody who I've been steam friends (not actual friends, haven't talked in years) sent me a message with an obvious phishing link claiming that this was his new profile. It was a literally 16 year old account with tons of games so I think he must have gotten hacked himself.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 31, 2023

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Went through a few other items in my inventory out of curiosity (i'm way too attached to my TF2 jpegs to sell them) and holy wow at the price for a strange construction PDA :stare:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I am no longer unhappy about not having the strange original

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

EDIT: ^^^^^ Congrats! Pretty good all-class, not gonna lie!

Ditocoaf posted:

So it's not that a steamworks login lets sites access your poo poo, it's that the sites fake a steamworks login.

Exactly correct.

khwarezm posted:

Another weird thing that happened to me literally yesterday is that somebody who I've been steam friends (not actual friends, haven't talked in years) sent me a message with an obvious phishing link claiming that this was his new profile. It was a literally 16 year old account with tons of games so I think he must have gotten hacked himself.

Those are the same profile words I've been seeing. Googled and got 6 exact results, 2 of which were seemingly legitimate players and the rest were obvious scam accounts.

Unfortunately your friend clicked a link and was phished. I hope they are able to recover their account. Or they're gonna act like your friend to try to make you think you're trading with them, but it'll be going to the scammer. Regardless, remain vigilant!

Otacon fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 31, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Big thanks for the explanations Otacon.

That's a clever phishing attempt, and I've seen it before with Google accounts. I feel kind of safe because of 2FA, unique password, and having changed it. Nothing in my inventory or spending history, but good to know where to look. I'll even change my password again, just for fun.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I still get regular random adds on Steam which I presume are for my ghost tyrant helm but could be for anything else and as a rule of thumb if you're not friends with anyone else on my friend list then that invite just gets auto-ignored. I have a lot of friends from the old TF2 hat trading thread so there's a huge breadth of possible people to also be friends with and still come up with zero pals. The similar-friends feature is probably the most useful thing on Steam for anyone with old TF2 stuff.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh Christ is that why there's a train of people trying to add me constantly? How do they even find the people with these items anyways?

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I get them every now and then despite stating on my profile, in big text, that I can spot scammers a mile away and not to bother :v: I have a fair number of unusuals and a collector’s market gardener that was a gift from a late friend, so I guess the fact I don’t get them every other day means the warning maybe works at least a little lol

They always have the same profile text, and thousands of hours in TF2 but none in any class + achievements that all got unlocked at the exact same time.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G76wx-nZCA

It's beautiful. :clint:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Someone said that TF2 still makes a killing for steam selling cosmetics despite its age, how did they find these numbers? I tried googling it but all I'm getting is how much the people who make the items have earned collectively or stuff along those lines.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Someone said that TF2 still makes a killing for steam selling cosmetics despite its age, how did they find these numbers? I tried googling it but all I'm getting is how much the people who make the items have earned collectively or stuff along those lines.

I don’t know if anyone had exact numbers but TF2 was in the silver tier for Best of Steam 2022 (https://store.steampowered.com/sale/BestOf2022) for best sellers. That means it’s in the top 36 in sales for all games on Steam. The lowest it’s been is top 48 (bronze tier) in its entirety.

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"
If you come across servers breaking just look for the phlog user

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Source-1-Games/issues/4750

Oh TF2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
tf2 ftw