Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I really hoped when Apex came out that it would lead to cross-promotion between the two. Just a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah I thought they would at least throw a few tf2 references into apex. Seems like a wasted opportunity.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
There are plenty of Titanfall references in the ~bonus content~. All of the little videos and short stories they put out usually have some touchstone back to Titanfall.

Unfortunately, the rousing success of Apex and Jedi mean that it is unlikely Respawn will convince investors that it is worthwhile for them to spend devtime on TF3 and not on making more Apex content or Jedi 3...

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
It's probably absolutely nothing/Respawn just testing things but dataminers did recently find a bunch of Titanfall 2 map info in apex files, some marked with FFA. A bunch of EA marketing items for Apex also changed from calling it a BR to a hero shooter as well. So maybe one day we'll see Pilot v Pilot in a light version one day again.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If Armored Core 6 ends up doing really well it might lead to something new for Titanfall down the line much like how Dark Souls inspired a bunch of similar dark fantasy games

boz
Oct 16, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

If Armored Core 6 ends up doing really well it might lead to something new for Titanfall down the line much like how Dark Souls inspired a bunch of similar dark fantasy games

Goddamn I am ready for the next century of Mecha games if the amount of souls inspired games is anything to go by

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I really hoped when Apex came out that it would lead to cross-promotion between the two. Just a shame.

ya what is there just some loosely based lore/references in Apex? Shameful

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Ash from TF2 is a legend in Apex and one of the legends is Viper's daughter, and Blisk is mentioned too at times

Or am I just missing a joke wrt tf2 mentions in Apex

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

idk the specifics but what you listed sounds like some loosely based lore and references to me

I mean an actual Titan or some poo poo might be a start, or wall running, or any of the FPS mechanics

But idk I played Apex like once. Is the lore obscure like Overwatch and you have to do your own cursory reading/research to even get any of it

Just sucks they made a game that in no way feels like it’s from the same studio or w/e. At first we were all pumped about a Titanfall BR game but we even made fun of that and look what we got anyway

Really I’m just mad the BR fad killed our chances of a Titanfall 3

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 16, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They specifically don't want to put wallrunning in because it made the gap between low skill players and high skill players too big.

But no they literally put the lore in the game, you pick up treasure packs and it unlocks comic pages that you can read in game, which is far more accessible than overwatch ever did it. I believe at first you had to go to twitter for the lore and everyone kinda made fun of them for it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dogstile posted:

They specifically don't want to put wallrunning in because it made the gap between low skill players and high skill players too big.

This is part of why it was so perfect.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
TF2 is what made me switch to bumper jumper for FPS games and I've never been able to go back

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Bumper jumper is life

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Bumper jumper is life

I switched to jump to L1 at the same time with Doom 2016 and Titanfall 2.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

sigher posted:

This is part of why it was so perfect.

Sure but every time the community tried to get people back into it, all the people who were playing for 10 years or whatever ground their faces into the dirt repeatedly until they left, so maybe that's why the execs decided they didn't want to do that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Bumper jumper is life

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Four year old take: the first Titanfall had a good blend of cool movement, map knowledge and gun skill to have top players express themselves with, and great tools to help out less skilled players like grunts, titans capable of splattering pilots of any skill level, the smart pistol, etc. It let’s a player feel incredibly cool even if they are kinda bad at the game. I don’t have the hard numbers but it felt like weapons were overall less accurate in 1 compared to the bullet lasers of 2 so you had some safety in wide open areas of some of the maps.

Shooter design has evolved over time to a different beast. Not even just the hero shooter format, but in what is expected in an engagement, the need for showing off cosmetics, how guns feel to use, resource use. We saw this in some of the rough edges of 2 and shooter design has only moves further on since. Who knows if you can capture that same vibe again outside of some savant making a gzdoom demake.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I still remember the simple joy of Devotion and an A wall on the crash(?) map. Starting the match at the bottom, chucking down the wall and just mowing down pilot after idiot pilot as they tumble down the hill towards you to their deaths before they realised the team is now down by 15 within 30 seconds and they should probably go the other way. There was a lot of lessons to be taught in this game and I feel like it made me think a lot more about how to play well.

When the thread figured out the Alternator was like 100% accurate tap-fired was the day ADS was no longer a thing for me. That and pre-nerf EVA8 meant I really could just pinball round the levels wreaking havoc.

TF2 was the last game I really got into, I've played stuff since but not for very long. It ruined me.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I still remember the simple joy of Devotion and an A wall on the crash(?) map. Starting the match at the bottom, chucking down the wall and just mowing down pilot after idiot pilot as they tumble down the hill towards you to their deaths before they realised the team is now down by 15 within 30 seconds and they should probably go the other way. There was a lot of lessons to be taught in this game and I feel like it made me think a lot more about how to play well.

When the thread figured out the Alternator was like 100% accurate tap-fired was the day ADS was no longer a thing for me. That and pre-nerf EVA8 meant I really could just pinball round the levels wreaking havoc.

TF2 was the last game I really got into, I've played stuff since but not for very long. It ruined me.

Yeah, getting used to the alternator and then trying to switch to whatever Call of Duty I tried next hosed me up forever as I had completely lost any instinct to ADS in FPS games by that point

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just played some attrition on PS5! drat, this game is so polished. Some sweaty matches, but they were all pretty close in score. I got my groove back pretty quick. It seems setting your data center to Sao Paulo or Tokyo is the best way to find games. I had no problem finding attrition matches using Tokyo. No idea how population any other game mode is though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

How the gently caress did you find a match?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

just change the data center ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:f5:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

let’s group up ….?

Can make a PSN group chat or idk but I’m down for some nightly games around the same time every evening—when I can make it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

RIP

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

dogstile posted:

Sure but every time the community tried to get people back into it, all the people who were playing for 10 years or whatever ground their faces into the dirt repeatedly until they left, so maybe that's why the execs decided they didn't want to do that.

There's enough movement tech in apex that very good players are moving across the map fully 20-50% faster than people with only a few hundred hours. Ironically Apex has a pretty hard learning curve for new players, too, but the BR game mode and fairly strict mmr system mostly offsets that decently. Even still I'm sure it's the main hurdle for new player retention.

TF2 is just from a different era of shooters before the design expectations of modern shooters were solidified, for better or for worse. Personally I wish games had more verticality and cool movement, but less of it should be gated behind people doing weird input manipulation or needing to use custom binds if it isn't going to just drive new players off.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 12, 2023

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Herstory Begins Now posted:

TF2 is just from a different era of shooters before the design expectations of modern shooters were solidified, for better or for worse. Personally I wish games had more verticality and cool movement, but less of it should be gated behind people doing weird input manipulation or needing to use custom binds if it isn't going to just drive new players off.

I think this is pretty accurate, but the thing I really hate about corporate axiom groupthink is that these truths last as long as everyone agrees on them. Respawn could just as easily make the next season of Apex CTF and it could be hugely popular and completely upend the market. Unfortunately, until someone makes that next generation-shift, we will be stuck with endless BR-clones.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I mean, its also risk.

Games are more expensive to make than ever. It's why monetization is the way it is.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
In Respan's defense too they've repeatedly stated over the last 2 or 3 years of Apex's life that they are willing to pivot and all the limited time modes and tweaks they do are often tests for things down the line. BR isn't totally done yet but I do think it's slowly on it's way out. I do think there's a hunger for a faster, more focused shooter experience that's growing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
We're coming up on 4 years since Apex was released and, while I love the game and the updates are generally good, it definitely does not feel that fresh anymore and you can see other fps releases take a big chunk out of the playerbase. It still seems to have good long term retention in terms of people eventually coming back to it, but yeah the space it occupies feels primed for something innovative to come out and take over.

WRT Respawn, they keep making noises that whatever sequel they have in mind has a bunch of Titanfall DNA, and while that might just be pandering, idk I agree that everyone is ready for a highly replayable AAA fps that isn't a Battle Royale or a CS/COD rip off.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 14, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm playing the story mode for Infinite Warfare and while the movement kind of feels like crap compared to TF/TF2 it def scratches the sci-fi spectacle itch that the Titanfall series left behind, despite IW's story being more on the generic depersonalized propaganda level. I'm not interested in the multi at all but the campaign is fun. Still, makes me remember that TF2 was too good for this world.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

We're coming up on 4 years since Apex was released and, while I love the game and the updates are generally good, it definitely does not feel that fresh anymore and you can see other fps releases take a big chunk out of the playerbase. It still seems to have good long term retention in terms of people eventually coming back to it, but yeah the space it occupies feels primed for something innovative to come out and take over.

WRT Respawn, they keep making noises that whatever sequel they have in mind has a bunch of Titanfall DNA, and while that might just be pandering, idk I agree that everyone is ready for a highly replayable AAA fps that isn't a Battle Royale or a CS/COD rip off.

Good grief I can’t believe it’s been that long…

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

uhhh it actually came out like 1.5 years ago according to my internal calendar, idk what this dude is on about

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

There's enough movement tech in apex that very good players are moving across the map fully 20-50% faster than people with only a few hundred hours. Ironically Apex has a pretty hard learning curve for new players, too, but the BR game mode and fairly strict mmr system mostly offsets that decently. Even still I'm sure it's the main hurdle for new player retention.

When movement tech was being discovered like slide hopping I disliked how weird and unintended Source engine weirdness was still sneaking in. The actual utility for stringing movement together through a map was good to have, just wanted it through an intended mechanic and not weird thing you have to watch a guide to figure out. Ideally the pilot customization option for standard/hover jump jets would get another option or two for frictionless slides that let you zoom across smooth horizontal surfaces.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Blind Duke posted:

When movement tech was being discovered like slide hopping I disliked how weird and unintended Source engine weirdness was still sneaking in. The actual utility for stringing movement together through a map was good to have, just wanted it through an intended mechanic and not weird thing you have to watch a guide to figure out. Ideally the pilot customization option for standard/hover jump jets would get another option or two for frictionless slides that let you zoom across smooth horizontal surfaces.

Honestly, poo poo like this is the Holy Grail of gaming to me. Like skiing in OG Tribes: I love when some small quirk of the coding creates an entirely unintended meta which turns the game into something else that was never designed.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Honestly, poo poo like this is the Holy Grail of gaming to me. Like skiing in OG Tribes: I love when some small quirk of the coding creates an entirely unintended meta which turns the game into something else that was never designed.

I seem to be in a minority about Tribes regarding skiing. I think it was horrible and really hosed up the game. I could do it, but a lot of players couldn't. This mean that a good chunk more than half the players of the game were functionally useless, even more than normal, and the game suffered for it. If it would have been an actual game mechanic or even adopted and explained so everyone could do it then cool but as it stood I felt it was just like bullying people that couldn't do it or didn't know it existed. I thought it was an active detriment to the game.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Star Wars Squadrons had a dead enough population and a lot of people figured out the meta of loving around with your boost to “drift” and make yourself hard to hit

Only drove the nail further into that coffin

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

BitBasher posted:

I seem to be in a minority about Tribes regarding skiing. I think it was horrible and really hosed up the game. I could do it, but a lot of players couldn't. This mean that a good chunk more than half the players of the game were functionally useless, even more than normal, and the game suffered for it. If it would have been an actual game mechanic or even adopted and explained so everyone could do it then cool but as it stood I felt it was just like bullying people that couldn't do it or didn't know it existed. I thought it was an active detriment to the game.

it made the game a lot better (albeit yeah I imagine it just demolished the devs idea of how the game would play) and iirc you could take like 5 seconds to trivially install a txt file in the install directory that let you just hold down space to ski, but yeah when stuff like that comes out it needs to be incorporated asap into the base game or you rapidly end up with a situation where half of the playerbase is missing vital parts of the movement toolkit

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

it made the game a lot better (albeit yeah I imagine it just demolished the devs idea of how the game would play) and iirc you could take like 5 seconds to trivially install a txt file in the install directory that let you just hold down space to ski, but yeah when stuff like that comes out it needs to be incorporated asap into the base game or you rapidly end up with a situation where half of the playerbase is missing vital parts of the movement toolkit

It's still too complex a concept for the average gamer to learn. Tribes: Ascend incorporated sliding from the get-go and yet pubbies legged it across the map.

These days, there's a movement skill ceiling in modern games that corresponds to what you can do on a controller, get too complex/fast and players will skip it.
Which is probably why we'll never see another Unreal Tourney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Tetrabor posted:

It's still too complex a concept for the average gamer to learn. Tribes: Ascend incorporated sliding from the get-go and yet pubbies legged it across the map.

These days, there's a movement skill ceiling in modern games that corresponds to what you can do on a controller, get too complex/fast and players will skip it.
Which is probably why we'll never see another Unreal Tourney or Titanfall.