Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

We saw some coverage of Captain Freeman's trial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

do we ever see much federation TV? in picard we get a news interview and glimpse of news anchors, but they didn't show government mandated PSAs as commercial breaks or show any scripted programs. Even in the holodeck era, sometimes folks have got to want to pop a show on the background and do whatever else or even just nothing. I've seen Paris watch old time media, and in disco they had a movie night to watch some old B&W film. Can't recall anyone plopping down to watch Simpsons season 300 or one of the Flotter cinematic universe movies.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

We saw some coverage of Captain Freeman's trial

Yeah, between Picard, Lower Decks, Generations and maybe Deep Space Nine, it looks like broadcast news is still around, but that appears to be it, maybe? Weren't Dajh and her boyfriend about to sit down and watch something on 25th Century Netflix before the Zhat Vash commando'd in and shot up the place? I'm guessing there's got to be some kind of mass media still around that's not holodeck-based because who the gently caress could afford having a holodeck in their house or apartment just from a square footage space perspective, so those are probably starship and space station exclusive dealies with probably public holodecks and holosuites in key places, or maybe in the mansions of what counts as "rich" in a post-scarcity world.

I dunno, Gene's whole "In the future, people stopped watching television and just read Shakespeare all day long" bullshit seemed really dumb, even back in the 80s.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why would you watch the news in star trek when you can have a hologram tell you the same news and then have sex with it

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Computer, activate Federation Herald Dispatch News Service. Protocol: vintage Dan Rather, extra chest hair, sitting on a park bench on the rim of the molten iron seas of Frumpus 5.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Why would you watch the news in star trek when you can have a hologram tell you the same news and then have sex with it

"People in the future no longer watch television, they gently caress television" would totally be a Gene's Vision™ thing too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
still waiting for those TVs you can smell

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

still waiting for those TVs you can smell

I've seen this ad for Lincolns on TV lately talking about what the future will "smell like" and I'm always weirded out by it because it's both pretentious AND creepy.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I bet "Can you gently caress this holonovel" is a legitimate game in the ST universe

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
When you remove the holo-character’s pants and it’s just smooth nothingness down there, you lose.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

External Organs posted:

Computer, activate Federation Herald Dispatch News Service. Protocol: vintage Dan Rather, extra chest hair, sitting on a park bench on the rim of the molten iron seas of Frumpus 5.

(Computer voice:) Please specify horniness level.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

TheCenturion posted:

(Computer voice:) Please specify horniness level.

"Disengage safety protocols."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
*rising tone of a slide whistle*

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

nine-gear crow posted:

Odo is too uptight to curse, Bashir is too afraid to curse, Garak is too classy to curse, you can construct whole sentences in Morse code out of O'Brien's cussing, Quark only says "poo poo"... a lot, Jake and Nog use dopey future cursing because they're teenagers, Sisko swears only when he needs to make a point, Dax swears once a season but it's a big loving deal when she does, and yeah Kira's dialog is like 90% "gently caress".

Gul Dukat never says the word "gently caress", he's the one who does the loving instead :mario:

I think Gul Dukat thinks cursing is below him but he absolutely does on the occasions in the show when he becomes truly frustrated or unhinged.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 17, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

I think Gul Dukat thinks cursing is below him but he absolutely does on the occasions in the show when his becomes truly frustrated or unhinged.

Oh yea, Waltz is the "Gul Dukat swears now" event horizon for DS9.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

hiddenriverninja posted:

"Disengage safety protocols."

Computer: Riker Level Confirmed.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

It is truly amazing it survived. TNG season one was the lowest point of Star Trek until Picard season two.

I finally watched the original TOS movies recently, and as I watched, I read the behind the scenes history of each. It's crazy how many times the franchise nearly outright died, and how often their last minute go to was Starfleet Academy.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Star Trek but they're young has been the other lazy hack pitch since forever. They even made fun of it on Stargate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd23slMhWQU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

8one6 posted:

Star Trek but they're young has been the other lazy hack pitch since forever. They even made fun of it on Stargate.

Aww, Cory Monteith. :smith:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The_Doctor posted:

Aww, Cory Monteith. :smith:

Hell, man, Aww, Willie Garson :smith:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Everyone posted:

Hell, man, Aww, Willie Garson :smith:

Oh no...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should make a Star Trek: Risa and it's basically Baywatch: Nights

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Toss Andy Robinson in as Garak, relocates back from Cardassia and selling clothing to the horny shore leavers, and I'm all in.

And find Cooms a regular role.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

8one6 posted:

Except Prodigy is Star Trek But Kids and it rules?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Can't recall anyone plopping down to watch Simpsons season 300 or one of the Flotter cinematic universe movies.

Assuming Simpsons episodes weren't lost in nuclear flame, I bet there are Federation dweebs that have AI randomly generate Simpsons episodes on the holodeck. Hell, I bet the show is on season 150 there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They should make a Star Trek: Risa and it's basically Baywatch: Nights

"Someone's drowning!" <transporter noise> "never mind"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Baywatch Nights is where they're vice detectives for some reason

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

nine-gear crow posted:

God, just thinking about it, what a hilariously useless plot cul-de-sac of a character Narek was on every level.

He was such a stupid character that they literally just forget about him in the final episode.

They knock him out and then, that's it. Never mention him again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PIs, wasn't it?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Just a squad of sexy cops busting weird eye-tracking addictive video game dealers.

"I sense that he is....scared. Scared of the rear end whoopin' we're about to give him."

"It would be eminently logical to defenestrate this...what is that human word? Ah yes, scumbag. To defenestrate this scumbag to prevent future recidivism. I would strongly suggest you identify key members of your organization, scumbag. My human partner can become quite emotional."

"Dammit, captain, I'm a cop, not a doctor. Let him bleed."

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Gaz-L posted:

Except Prodigy is Star Trek But Kids and it rules?

Prodigy isn't "Kirk and Spock and Bones get up to shenanigans in college at the academy" like most of the stupid hack Starfleet Academy pitches made over the last five decades.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

He was such a stupid character that they literally just forget about him in the final episode.

They knock him out and then, that's it. Never mention him again.

And then one episode later, Soji is also left behind at a bar and forgotten about and just disappears from the show never to return too.

It's like the whole loving Borg Cube plot was meaningless or something...

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

8one6 posted:

Prodigy isn't "Kirk and Spock and Bones get up to shenanigans in college at the academy" like most of the stupid hack Starfleet Academy pitches made over the last five decades.

Its strength is that its main premise is outsiders looking into the Federation, thus giving a decent examination of their culture. That also makes it a good entry point for people new to the series.

Academy sounds really boring, and yet it still seems to be happening. Tilly's plot in Discovery season 4 felt like a backdoor pilot.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

Odo is too uptight to curse, Bashir is too afraid to curse, Garak is too classy to curse, you can construct whole sentences in Morse code out of O'Brien's cussing, Quark only says "poo poo"... a lot, Jake and Nog use dopey future cursing because they're teenagers, Sisko swears only when he needs to make a point, Dax swears once a season but it's a big loving deal when she does, and yeah Kira's dialog is like 90% "gently caress".

Gul Dukat never says the word "gently caress", he's the one who does the loving instead :mario:

Miles is a noncom, he cusses with a profoundly deep vocabulary in at least five different languages, including the Cardassian he picked up shooting spoonheads

Scotty's an old hand who knows that cussin ultimately gets you nowhere, though he's been known to let out a "gently caress" barking his knuckles on a Jefferies tube wall

Torres emits a monotonous "gently caress, gently caress, gently caress this poo poo, gently caress, goddamnit, poo poo, gently caress" for literal hours and it's honestly terrifying

Geordi doesn't cuss on the job at all. Bev swears more than Geordi. Data swears more than Geordi.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nichael posted:

Academy sounds really boring, and yet it still seems to be happening. Tilly's plot in Discovery season 4 felt like a backdoor pilot.

Oh, god, setting it in the 32nd century? Time for yet more excuses why the programmable matter and incredible power and technology advancement is all just offscreen please don't think about it.

At least with the Discovery itself they were all 'we're configuring the bridge to look like it's a 23rd century control setup for you backward hicks, and that's why it's not a crazy magic morphing workspace'

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

It's like the whole loving Borg Cube plot was meaningless or something...

Honestly, I'd have loved it if Picard S1 was nothing but 'Picard receives a call from an old 'friend' and it turns out to be Hugh, reclaimed from the Borg, and now working to reclaim an entire cube. Anti-Borg sentiment runs deep in the Federation, and he's hoping Admiral (Retired) Jean-Luc Picard, one of Starfleet's heros, and former ambassador to the Romulan Star Empire, can help do, basically, some PR. Now Picard must face his own demons as he struggles with his own memories and trauma of the Borg, versus saving innocent victims.'

It would be kind of like how ST2 was Kirk having to face up to his own history, but in a way that fits Picard's character and story arc.

Throw in something about a popular Federation councilbeing advocating to simply strip the Cube for parts, incinerate the Borg victims, and other various allegories to Trump and immigration, if you want to make it somehow topical, I guess.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Phy posted:

Geordi doesn't cuss on the job at all. Bev swears more than Geordi. Data swears more than Geordi.

He does, however, have the embarrassing habit of using words like "tail" or "poontang" when talking about women with Worf and Data.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

8one6 posted:

I wouldn't watch it as a series, but Star Trek: Orion House with young Kirk as the John Belushi character could be fun as a deeply weird movie.

"Mr Kirk. Your strategy in conducting this... panty raid is illogical."

Prodigy was basically Voyager 1.5. Next season with the time travel shenanigans is likely going to be Voyager Who.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Everyone posted:

I wouldn't watch it as a series, but Star Trek: Orion House with young Kirk as the John Belushi character could be fun as a deeply weird movie.

"Mr Kirk. Your strategy in conducting this... panty raid is illogical."

Prodigy was basically Voyager 1.5. Next season with the time travel shenanigans is likely going to be Voyager Who.

I'm holding out for Kat and Dal's Excellent Adventures.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

I'm holding out for Kat and Dal's Excellent Adventures.

Will Rok-Tahk and Murf be able to bring together Thomas Jefferson, Khan Noonien Singh and Surak, the Vulcan "Father of All We Become" in time to help them write a history report for Janeway's class? Find out next episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Didn't Baywatch Nights just say "gently caress it" at some point and go full X-Files with vampires and aliens?