Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

101 posted:

They've already all moved on to Mastodon anyway. Their API is already way better than Twitter ever was, and it's open source.

I'm in 7 Mastodon TestFlights. It's really thriving.

Ivory (by the Tweetbot guys) is predictably one of the best.

Exactly. It's baffling. Also, their embedded Tweets have always been a POS, as evidenced by the tech thread on these here forums being 90% about Twitter embeds.

I had to implement them in an iOS app a few years ago, and they were dogshit to work with then too.

Ivory is a really good app, I’d maybe say Mammoth is my second fave of that bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Buff Hardback posted:

I mean it boils down to there is no way to "search" Mastodon.

Your server is only aware of things that federate to it, so if I search for "taylor swift" on my server, I'm not necessarily going to see the same results as the Taylor Swift Mastodon server does. (also because that would require checking with every single other server)

But they don’t even have full text search anyway within an instance, right?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Buff Hardback posted:

I mean it boils down to there is no way to "search" Mastodon.

Your server is only aware of things that federate to it, so if I search for "taylor swift" on my server, I'm not necessarily going to see the same results as the Taylor Swift Mastodon server does. (also because that would require checking with every single other server)

This bullshit about servers is the problem with Mastodon by the way. People don’t want to have 3 accounts to follow 3 different things and people especially don’t want to have to remember which account they need to switch to in order to do a simple search for content.

I hope Mastodon dies.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Boris Galerkin posted:

This bullshit about servers is the problem with Mastodon by the way. People don’t want to have 3 accounts to follow 3 different things and people especially don’t want to have to remember which account they need to switch to in order to do a simple search for content.

I hope Mastodon dies.

It’s amazing that nobody in the last three months has managed to launch the absolutely piss easy Twitter killer social network: Twitter, but not run by a South African pedophille.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Skeezy posted:

Ivory is a really good app, I’d maybe say Mammoth is my second fave of that bunch.

I like Icecubes as an open-source alternative as well. I want to like Mammoth, but the dev has a bad habit of abandoning his apps.

Coq au Nandos posted:

It’s amazing that nobody in the last three months has managed to launch the absolutely piss easy Twitter killer social network: Twitter, but not run by a South African pedophille.

Maybe this from an ex-Google guy

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Coq au Nandos posted:

There’s plenty of social media apps that provide what Twitter does, existing isn’t the hurdle. Twitter also isn’t going away and there won’t be some mass exodus unless they literally break it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

The Dave posted:

There’s plenty of social media apps that provide what Twitter does, existing isn’t the hurdle. Twitter also isn’t going away and there won’t be some mass exodus unless they literally break it.

They have just done that though, for their most valued, long term and active users. Not to mention all the PR / marketing people who run things for celebrity accounts.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

101 posted:

I like Icecubes as an open-source alternative as well. I want to like Mammoth, but the dev has a bad habit of abandoning his apps.

Absolutely agree on the dev, dudes good at what he does but the abandonment of good apps sucks.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Boris Galerkin posted:

I hope Mastodon dies.

But you don’t?? I’m on an instance that’s relatively small yet I follow people from a lot of different servers, and even some accounts that aren’t even Mastodon accounts

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Buff Hardback posted:

But you don’t?? I’m on an instance that’s relatively small yet I follow people from a lot of different servers, and even some accounts that aren’t even Mastodon accounts

In another thread people were saying that servers block other servers for completely arbitrary reasons and the workaround for this was to just “make multiple accounts lol.”

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Is there a reason to use an RSS app that isn’t NetNewsWire, which is mature and free of charge? I’ve gone through most popular ones and bought a few, like Lire, but NNW seems faster and more stable.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Boris Galerkin posted:

In another thread people were saying that servers block other servers for completely arbitrary reasons and the workaround for this was to just “make multiple accounts lol.”

The arbitrary reason of hosting nazis and cp

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

Is there a reason to use an RSS app that isn’t NetNewsWire, which is mature and free of charge? I’ve gone through most popular ones and bought a few, like Lire, but NNW seems faster and more stable.

I’ve used Feedly ever since google news shut down a billion years ago. Though admittedly, I’ve never looked into anything else since it works fine just for blasting through some curated news.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

I’ve been using NetNewsWire to view my Twitter feed ever since third-party apps got cut off:

http://netnewswire.micro.blog/2023/01/14/how-to-subscribe.html

It’s good if you only read Twitter and never post like me.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I just wanna be able to search inline through my feed of tweets easily. Tweetbot had this amazing search box at the top of the feed and you could load all your tweets type what you were looking for and it would do an exact search down through the feed so you could super quickly find a topic or person and see what was happening with them.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Tweetbot appears to be back up for reading but not posting.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/15/..._source=twitter

Edit: And now it’s broken again. Thanks, Elon. :rip:

Referee fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 16, 2023

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Referee posted:

Tweetbot appears to be back up for reading but not posting.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/15/..._source=twitter

Edit: And now it’s broken again. Thanks, Elon. :rip:

Article has been updated but just in case you didn't see

https://tapbots.social/@paul/109695822047176004

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What are the ways to get a simple text snippet from an android phone or windows computer to an iPad?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

tuyop posted:

What are the ways to get a simple text snippet from an android phone or windows computer to an iPad?

Email?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Pushbullet used to do this, but nowadays I'd just use slack or maybe discord/WhatsApp if they allow it to message yourself something

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i use signal

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a OneNote tab for just misc text data

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Discord lets you create a Group Chat with just yourself in it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

tuyop posted:

iCloud website

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Photo and OCR

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

tuyop posted:

Google Keep

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

tuyop posted:

Post-it note

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

astral posted:

iCloud website

Like in a note?

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I’ve used Feedly ever since google news shut down a billion years ago. Though admittedly, I’ve never looked into anything else since it works fine just for blasting through some curated news.

I use Feedly since the death of Google Reader, even have a paid lifetime account. But I don't use their app, I actually use Reeder with my Feedly account plugged into it, on my iDevices as well as the MacBook.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/TwitterDev/status/1615405842735714304

Twitter sucks rear end

astral
Apr 26, 2004

tuyop posted:

Like in a note?

Yes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

gently caress’s sake. Was going to settle in for an evening of AppleTV+ and now when I launch the TV app on my iPad I don’t see any channels, ATV+, or anything but the garbage I purchased from iTunes movie store ten years ago. Signed out of my AppleID and back in, no change. Checked my subscription status right from the app and it shows ATV+, britbox, acornTV and all the other a la carte things I’m paying for but suddenly can’t access.

Rebooted the iPad, still no love. Ugh.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ugh, I have the dreaded “Cannot Connect” error in the subscriptions screen on settings and in the App Store. Anyone getting this? This bug seems to be at least three years old.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

gently caress’s sake. Was going to settle in for an evening of AppleTV+ and now when I launch the TV app on my iPad I don’t see any channels, ATV+, or anything but the garbage I purchased from iTunes movie store ten years ago. Signed out of my AppleID and back in, no change. Checked my subscription status right from the app and it shows ATV+, britbox, acornTV and all the other a la carte things I’m paying for but suddenly can’t access.

Check your iPhone?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

some kinda jackal posted:

It's not just you:

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1616247866615566337

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I must have hit this just as it started because I checked the Status page and everything was green. Thanks for the info, at least I’m relieved to know it’s not just me.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1616199663715029001?s=46&t=z3_mQVYDnc3BSS-YbYO8kw

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

Ugh, I have the dreaded “Cannot Connect” error in the subscriptions screen on settings and in the App Store. Anyone getting this? This bug seems to be at least three years old.

Nuke the phone :getin:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I get hives any time troubleshooting steps involved signing out of, and back into my AppleID on an iDevice or Mac.

That poo poo never reactivates properly for me, rarely if ever actually solves the problem, and if it does solve the problem eventually it first causes a nightmare of authentication/sign-in issues that are way more annoying than whatever it was I was trying to fix.

Almost guaranteed that if I sign out of my Apple ID I will be spending the next three hours entering my password into random prompts for no reason because some sundry aspect of iCloud isn't working until I re-authenticate, or now my Mac needs to re-merge its status with the cloud and breaks something in a stupendous manner. My favourite is entering my password, seeing the spinner, then the screen just goes back to "you need to re-authenticate" or whatever the message was, as if I'd done nothing at all.

And I'll be dismissing annoying "new device has been added" popups on like half a dozen iDevices and Macs for the next three weeks as things catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Strong agree, my kid's iPad updated to 16.2 and I had to sign in, do a SMS 2FA, and answer security questions.
Then I got an email warning me that my kid supposedly activated a new device.
Fucks sake Apple!